Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Commonplace book Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

As I was "stumbling" around the World Wide Web, I came across a blog post describing the use of a commonplace book. It sounds so lovely! A beautiful place to keep all of those underlined/highlighted/scrawled on scraps of paper quotes from the books one reads.

I found this beautiful journal and, gulp!, ordered it. I am hoping to keep a record of inspiring quotes and thoughts in this one journal. I'm not sure if I should include my responses to the quotes or not. Still thinking about that.

Does anyone here keep a commonplace book? What do you write in it? Have you had trouble being consistent, or is it not important to be consistent? Is it better to write when inspired to do so? Has it been a positive influence in your life?

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My daughter and I both write in a Commonplace book. I've kept one for a couple of years now.

Stellamaris wrote:
What do you write in it?

I choose quotes or passages I find inspiring, or that I want to remember. It's random and not organized at all! And I quite like it that way! It's not overthought at all. It's just a nice book that is a place for inspiring thoughts to land.

My only goal is to try to write very neatly in my commonplace book, and after each quote I include the date I added the quote, the source and author. I like reading back through my book, and I'm actually very familiar with the quotes in it, in spite of the fact that it is essentially just a journal of collected quotes from random sources I'm reading at the time.

I do distinguish between more practical notes I may have taken or gathered from a source, and something inspiring. My commonplace book tends to hold philosophical ideas - ideas that are inspiring. I keep practical notes and ideas on my laptop in various files or on things like Evernote.

Stellamaris wrote:
Have you had trouble being consistent, or is it not important to be consistent?

I suppose it would depend on your definition of consistency. I don't think about it, really. I just add to it when I find something I like. I'm looking at mine now and I see a month, sometimes two between additions. And sometimes I can tell I was reading a book I really enjoyed, something very worthy (like St. Peter Julian Eymard's How To Get More Out of Holy Communion), I have almost daily additions.

I do keep my Commonplace book near my reading chair, with a good writing pen attached to my book. This means I can add to my book with ease while I'm reading because the book is usually near me. I try to remember to grab my Commonplace book if I'm not reading in my normal spot, but I don't always remember. Getting up to go get my book is annoying, and does affect me adding something to it. So, if you have a place you normally sit to read, try to keep a little book basket or carve out a little niche there for your Commonplace book.

Stellamaris wrote:
Is it better to write when inspired to do so?

Yes. It is for me anyway. I add something at exactly the moment I read it. One time I didn't, and kept meaning to return to my book and add the quote, and then I regretted not adding it because I couldn't remember where I saw the quote, or the exact wording. And I was really frustrated because it was a GREAT and very humorous Chesterton quote. Of course, if I'm not careful and varied in my reading, my entire book would be an homage to Chesterton!

Stellamaris wrote:
Has it been a positive influence in your life?

Yes! I really enjoy keeping mine, and my daughter's book is also a delight she enjoys adding to! It becomes a little snapshot of personal ideas that are treasured, and I find I can remember them more easily after writing them.

stellamaris wrote:
I found this beautiful journal and, gulp!, ordered it.

That's a very nice journal, Caroline! I became very particular about the type of journal I used after starting my Commonplace book! And I do really like a pretty cover!!

Happy writing!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Thanks for your thoughts, Jen! As always, they are very helpful. I'm sort of hoping not only to enjoy such a book myself, but also to be an example to the younger children in this; maybe they will consider picking up the idea for themselves? I know whenever I crack out my nature journal, it seems to inspire them to do the same.

Mackfam wrote:
Yes. It is for me anyway. I add something at exactly the moment I read it. One time I didn't, and kept meaning to return to my book and add the quote, and then I regretted not adding it because I couldn't remember where I saw the quote, or the exact wording. And I was really frustrated because it was a GREAT and very humorous Chesterton quote. Of course, if I'm not careful and varied in my reading, my entire book would be an homage to Chesterton!

Exactly my experience! Love Chesterton, always forget where I saw great quotes. So, that is part of what I want to address with this book, too (that is, the part about forgetting good quotes ) Good to know it will help!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I really like this idea because it doesn't require you to write down your thoughts but rather write down something that has inspired you to think.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think I posted this somewhere else, but I liked this post on the commonplace book.

Quote:
And nevermore will you do that forgetful, embarrassing, Bertie Wooster thing: “That chappie says what glory does, Jeeves, like water rippling don’t you know.”

“’Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught’? It was the Swan of Avon, I believe, Sir.”

“Spot on, Jeeves, spot on as usual.”

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2012 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I keep a commonplace book. Whenever I come across something that strikes me deep, then I put it in my book. I have just started this this year. The key is to put it in the book as soon as you come upon the quote and I need to work on this.    I have missed some really good quotes and now cannot find them.

I also started keeping a commonplace book for each of my children and put poems, book quotes, scripture verses, etc. that mean something to me and give it to them when they are older as a keepsake. I read on an elist where a woman had been given her mother's commonplace book after the mother had died. The woman has treasured that book as it was the deepest part of her mom.   

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 24 2012 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I started a commonplace book this year too. Previously I had all of my notes spread throughout countless papers. Over Christmas break I gathered everything and started writing it all out in a journal I was given.

Like Jen, my notes haven't been systematic or consistent. I kept paper and pen (and now journal and pen) with me when I read. If something strikes me, I copy it down. Sometimes I make a note of the author or book title (or verse if it's scripture). Sometimes I don't. Because I love music and find that I sing my way through life, I also write down any lyrics that deeply speak to me. "Aha!" quotes from friends go in there too... Basically my commonplace book is a written record of the words that impact my life and that I want to remind myself of later. Reviewing my old notes as I collected them to jot them down was so eye opening and inspiring. I am glad that I have it all in one place now!

Both blogs linked above mention leaving our commonplace books for coming generations. I don't think I'd like to leave mine. They are things that impact me because of my particular life journey. I'm not particularly sentimental so I don't care if no one else reads them and don't know that I'd sit down and read my parents' or grandparents' books if they had written. I guess that makes me pretty self-absorbed.   ...Or maybe it just shows that I'm overwhelmed with what's already on my plate!      

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version