Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Chores Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm sure that everyone has tried a plethora of methods for chore lists.

What have you found to be the most efficient method?

This has worked well for us for a couple of months.

There are pictures for my non-readers and a separate page for each day to keep things "simple."

However, it is a lot of pages and takes time to laminate them all for use with a dry erase.

AND

Now I want to change them. The kids are older and reasonably can take on some additional or rotate to more challenging (and thus, more helpful, lol) tasks.

There just isn't a way to update that isn't labor intensive.

So, has anyone come up with a method that isn't labor intensive? I'm not COMPLETELY opposed to changing my system, but THAT would be MORE labor intensive--especially if it doesn't work

But I do wish it were easier to update since needs and ability seem to change almost seasonally.

I would ditch the picture method since my oldest can read and my youngest's chores are simple enough for me to keep in my head.

But my middle child, 5.5, will forget (or "forget" not sure which it is) without a list, and he can't read beyond three letter words yet.

Now, part of me knows that the simplest thing to do would be to simplify the lists so they just had the same list to work from every day.

But, I like having some things rotate. For instance, my oldest has a toliet to clean and a bathroom floor to mop every day, but he rotates through them so each of the three is done twice a week (ideally).

Or, some of the rooms don't have to be swept daily, weekly will do. So, I'd like my 5 year old to "sweep" daily, but what he sweeps can vary each day.

I always over complicate things

I like the "simplicity" of a checklist.

Though, some sort of magnetic or card in a pocket method seems ideal so that the chores can be switched around?

BUT that requires ME to assign them daily. I just KNOW that I will be sitting nursing the fussy baby that just got to sleep, and someone will come in and tell me they can't do their chores because I didn't put them in their pocket or whatever.

I suppose that I could have just left well enough alone and not changed the chores right now. But, it really seemed needed PLUS everyone gets a little more motivated to do their chores when they think they are "big" enough for a different one. Change is sometimes exciting, yk?

Any thoughts? I've seen a host of methods, and I know what works will be different for different families. But I'd like to find a method that works and STICK TO IT. And while my method works reasonably well for us, if there is a method that is lower maintenance in the long term AND has WORKED for you in the long term, I'm all ears!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I think you're on to a really good method, and if it's working reasonably well I'd brainstorm ways to work with simple variations of it rather than changing altogether. (And you know of course that it doesn't matter how iron-clad your method....there will always be the child that "forgets".     )

I like our chore charts, and they work for us reasonably well, but seasons change in a family: kids grow up and can take on more mature chores, and little people need work, too. Our chores tend to go through a major overhaul at least twice a year....which brings me to my first suggestion:

CrunchyMom wrote:
I do wish it were easier to update since needs and ability seem to change almost seasonally.

Yes. This.

I don't like to invest so much time and effort in the format and prettiness and lamination of a chore system that I won't be willing to throw the whole thing away in a few months. Like boys' socks, it needs to be considered somewhat disposable since you'll be changing it to address the changing needs of your family.

Our system(s):

** One chart in central location. The chart has everyone's names down one side and days of the week across the top. Chores are listed in the blocks. This is a good system and still my preference, but...our family dynamics being what they are, we are shifting to something different...and I'm still not exactly how it's going to look/work yet! Winging it as I go!

** During seasonal chore changes I have found the approach that works well for us is a 2-3 week probation period. I use the fridge, magnets, and lots of (you guessed it!! ) post-it notes and small square papers. Each kid's name gets posted across the fridge, and under their name I list their proposed chores on the square papers. We discuss and make changes to fit kids during the probation period. Everyone has a few chances to rotate through chores so we can see if it's weighted pretty fairly and a child has time to be trained in any new chores. Our most recent changes have us rotating big chunks of chores, so the magnets let us move square note papers with listed chores around to a different child for a week. At the end of the probation period once the actual work is settled and trained, I make the system a little more durable.

** We pay for work done in the home. Not everyone does, but that's something we have chosen to do because it gives the child a way to *EARN* money and a chance for us to teach them how to manage their money. However, we DO NOT pay for incomplete work, nor do we pay for work if we have to remind a child more than once that it needs to be done. We keep a note pad next to the chore listing for making notes about allowances earned for the week. Each child has a certain amount of money they could potentially earn with each day's chores. Excessive complaining, not completing chores, completing chores inadequately on a consistent basis (after retraining and the child communicating that they understand and are capable) = not getting paid that day. If I do the chore because of their inattention, inadequate completion of the job, or intentional disregard of the work asked, they pay me! (HT goes to AngieMc for that idea!)

Ideas:

** Keep it simple in terms of the time and effort you put into it - because you'll be ditching it and coming up with something new soon.

CrunchyMom wrote:
Now, part of me knows that the simplest thing to do would be to simplify the lists so they just had the same list to work from every day.

But, I like having some things rotate. For instance, my oldest has a toliet to clean and a bathroom floor to mop every day, but he rotates through them so each of the three is done twice a week (ideally).

Consider a chart. The chart can be simple checklist style since that seems to be what works for y'all, but each day can list the rotation of a different set of chores.

CrunchyMom wrote:
some of the rooms don't have to be swept daily, weekly will do. So, I'd like my 5 year old to "sweep" daily, but what he sweeps can vary each day.

Consider different areas that could use sweeping each day and just list them on your checkbox/chart system. Consider that a certain room may get more traffic on a certain day depending on your family routine. Or....just list *Sweep a room - SEE MOM* and have him come to you with the broom and you make the decision on the room to sweep in the moment.

CrunchyMom wrote:
I like the "simplicity" of a checklist.

Though, some sort of magnetic or card in a pocket method seems ideal so that the chores can be switched around?

Ditto. Except, I like a simple chart that lists everyone and their responsibilities in one place rather than a checklist format...but this season, we've really gone to more rotating chores so that the chore chunks/lists really need to be able to rotate under someones names for different weeks. I doubt I'm doing pockets because it involves too much work from me. A simple, straightforward chart with kids listed down one side, days across the top, and chores listed in the blocks is what works well for us. Simple, straightforward. But, we're still in our just-changed-chore-responsibilities-probation-period. So, I'm still brainstorming ease, simplicity, straightforward in terms of how this will look. I'm thinking I'll keep the chart and can list some unmoveable, fixed chores in the blocks, and post that....leaving plenty of white space in the block so that a small card listing the rotating chunks of chores can be moved to an appropriate child's block each week. I don't have to worry about doing any work in remembering to move the cards because believe me, my kids are ready to switch at the end of a week so they remember for me!    

I suppose all that (which seems somewhat rambly to me now) is to say:

** stick with a general format that is working reasonably well (your checklists)
** don't put too much effort into it because you'll be changing it again in a few months
** brainstorm within the format and method that is working!

Update and let us know what you do, Lindsay!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

By the way, I meant to mention that I LOVE the pictures used in your charts!

When I do a non-reader chore chart, I take pics of the child doing the chore and then drop that into the chart. I never thought of including charming little illustrations of the chore being completed! Cute!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm serial posting. About chores!!!    

Mackfam wrote:
When I do a non-reader chore chart, I take pics of the child doing the chore and then drop that into the chart. I never thought of including charming little illustrations of the chore being completed! Cute!!

I'm aggravated. I was so excited about finding some charming little pics for my almost 4yo...but I may have to stick with my photos because sadly, I don't think there is a picture of Little Bear using the Dust Buster to vacuum crumbs under the table after a meal.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
I'm serial posting. About chores!!!    

Mackfam wrote:

I'm aggravated. I was so excited about finding some charming little pics for my almost 4yo...but I may have to stick with my photos because sadly, I don't think there is a picture of Little Bear using the Dust Buster to vacuum crumbs under the table after a meal.

LOL

I fudged it on those. Is there a picture of a vacuum at all? Or just crumbs from a plate? I figure that as long as it is representative of the chore, they know which chore it means.

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

My kids are small and we don't too well with any system that is too complex. So the boys (both readers) have a short list in their room of their responsibilities (which includes their self care and care of their room and toys).

In addition they are expected to each help out in various ways during the day when asked. So I might assign one to clean up the toys in the living room and run the vacuum. Or I would ask one to empty the dishes or clean the bathroom. They are expected to do things like clear the table, everyone helps and these are things they have to do because they are part of our family team.

On top of that we have a list of chores that I will pay on commission for them to do. They are bigger chores, and they have to do these things on their on prompting. Some things that I might ask them to do for free are on there, like clean a bathroom, but if I ask they have to do it because they need to help me out, and they don't get paid. If they do them on their own after clearing it with me and I check that it is done properly, I will pay them. This list includes vacuuming with the big vacuum, mopping, cleaning bathrooms, folding loads of laundry, etc.

So far it works. We'll see how that goes long term.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

So, Jen, if I'm reading you right, your chart is simply a "list" with no means of checking off or otherwise indicating what was done what day?

I guess that is where I'm making it complicated. I like the idea of their checking it off to know what has been done each day for accountability. This requires either printing off a list daily/weekly or making something laminated or magnetic or chalkboard or something so it can be reused.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
So, Jen, if I'm reading you right, your chart is simply a "list" with no means of checking off or otherwise indicating what was done what day?

Exactly. It is posted as a reference. During the "training period" we make clear what is expected of each child, we train them in doing a chore, and make sure they understand and are capable of doing the chores assigned. Part of obedience is a clear understanding of what is expected, so I consider the training/probation time (after we change the chore chart) to be very important. At the end of the training period, they KNOW what they're supposed to be doing and how to do it. The chart serves as a reminder and placeholder, and works reasonably well in reminding the little people of their daily routine.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We don't "check off" either. Although I did do that for a short time period when the kids were younger, but it didn't last for long for exactly the reasons we're talking about....it's TOO MUCH WORK! I prefer to TRAIN for a couple weeks, then turn them loose with supervising and spot checking. Also, supervising the youngers, reminding them of what-comes-next if i don't have the non-readers-charts done. I go back and forth with the non-reader-pictures.

This, of course, gets easier as they get older. And, it's ALWAYS more difficult when the first 2 kiddos are so young. dd#4 learned MUCH faster than the first two simply b/c she knows it's expected and she has seen it in action from day 1.   

No checklists here either. Way too much work.   

We have a LIST in the hallway and in the kitchen that the kids and dh/me reference. The olders DO have chore-packs with a list in them (not flipping, but simply a list for morning and afternoon)....but after a couple weeks of a new-chore-list they don't need them. They prefer to go to the list in the hallway. And, for the most part they have them memorized.

Also, when they begin to be in charge of a ROOM, I post the room chores in that room. Most of the time, it's a list for them to follow, not a checklist....we spot-check...that's our "checklist."

although my oldest daughter LOVES to check off the things she accomplishes in the kitchen, so i did make that into a checklist. LOVE IT WHEN THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO BE IN CHARGE OF A COMPLETE ROOM!

Here is the only place where I use a checklist right no.....

SATURDAY MORNING BEDROOM CLEAN UP.....
Every step of cleaning up is posted on one sheet....they need to check off when it's done. Mainly I did that b/c they were slacking. Also, I want them to negotiate who is going to do what on their own, and this is my way of helping facilitate that process without being there.

But, my oldest is almost 11, and we started the "room cleaning" only a year ago, so you're a couple years away from that. .....just giving you something to look forward to though.   

for some reason i'm not able to upload a doc right now, but i'll upload our current lists later if i'm able.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

For the bigger rotating chores....I only have rotating chores for the ones who can read....otherwise the non-readers charts are kept the same.

Also, when they are so young, i think it gets confusing to have to do different things all the time. We should be setting them up for success at all points during this process and having them do the same thing all the time is how good habits are formed.

So, even though I know that the toilet paper needs to be re-stocked under the sink about 3 times a week, I STILL have it on my 5 yo's list of things to check every night. She is to check it and if it gets "below a certain point" then she is to re-stock. Same thing with vacuuming the living room rug....she is to LOOK AT IT and decide if it should be vacuumed or not...if not sure, she asks. But, that way, I KNOW someone is at least considering it....even if it IS a 5 yo . It's still one less thing I need to think about.   And, even if she is slacking and PRETENDS that it doesn't need to be done....if it gets done 2-3/week, i'm happy.

Or....really, shoes only need to be re-distributed once/day, but I still have my 4yo do it during the morning and evening because it keeps her list consistent and it's the same thing every time chores roll around.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
For the bigger rotating chores....I only have rotating chores for the ones who can read....otherwise the non-readers charts are kept the same.

Also, when they are so young, i think it gets confusing to have to do different things all the time.

Good point. My current challenge is that my two big kids have rotating chunks of chores, and my little kids have jobs that stay the same from week to week. And I'm trying to keep everyone on the same reference chart.

Our weekly chores consist of M-F chores.

Saturday is a TOTALLY different story because that is house-cleaning day and those chores get WAY more detailed for the big kids. Detailed checklists are GREAT for readers doing room clean-up like the bathrooms and for specific bedroom clean-up. I do laminate those detailed lists and they are kept in the kids individual cleaning bins which I organize and set up for each child. Again though, they're not checklists, but serve as a detailed reminder of what is expected.

Another thing I do is make a littler person an "assistant" to a big kid for a bigger chore. I have much biggers than you, Lindsay, but this would still probably work with your biggest and littlest (ok...I mean second littlest...you know what I meant...your littlest chore person!!). It works really well with a chore that a big kid has mastered and that you're training a little kid for. So sometimes, the 3 yo's chores will say "Dishes assistant" and that means that whichever big kid is in charge of dishes that day, that person will need to give the 3 yo jobs to do so she can learn dishes handling.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

So you like your lists that are already laminated and you want to be able to change them up without too much work?

VELCRO DOTS

So cards with the new things, with the things that you want changed.. add velcro dots to the sides (so you don't cover the original).. and voila.. instantly changable and solid enough that they will stay on when you switch the pages around.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
So you like your lists that are already laminated and you want to be able to change them up without too much work?

VELCRO DOTS.

That's a good suggestion! I can't remember if I was just thinking this or actually posted it, but I thought maybe you could cut your pages up into cards and keep the cards that were working. It fits with Jodie's idea of velcro dots - just cut up your current system, and set up a page of names with velcro dots, and velcro the chore you want each boy to do next to his name.

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote jawgee

We use ChorePacks, although I made a variation that works for our family.

I print the list of chores into sections that can be cut into business card-sized pieces (we actually had some of these left over from another project). Then I laminate each card (cheap enough!).

I take the each child's chore and attach them - in order - on a lanyard. When the kids wake up in the morning they grab their ChorePack and attach it to their pants beltloop and keep it attached until they've worked through their pack of morning chores. (The younger kids wear the pack as a bracelet). They are able to flip through the cards as they do them (and check specific instructions if they need to!) and then return the ChorePack to the desk when they are done.

I like this system because it allows for flexibility. If a child outgrows a certain chore and it's time to pass it to a younger sibling, I can just switch the cards from one ChorePack to another. I also like that when something doesn't need to be done every day, I can specify that on the card. (One of the cards in each ChorePack, actually, is an item that only needs to be done 1x/week. For example, the card says "M, T, W, Th, F" and has a different chore next to each day).

They put on their ChorePacks first thing in the morning for AM chores and after dinner for PM chores.

We did a list for years, but what didn't work for us is that it was too easy to conveniently "forget" a chore when there was just a list to look at. ("Of course, Mom, I brushed my teeth and wiped the bathroom counter"). When the ChorePack is attached, it reminds them that they are working on chores. Less room for distraction, I guess, when something is tethered to their bodies. LOL.

I was going to post a pic of one of our ChorePacks, but some munchkin drained the battery on my camera. Hopefully I can post one later.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:

VELCRO DOTS

So cards with the new things, with the things that you want changed.. add velcro dots to the sides (so you don't cover the original).. and voila.. instantly changable and solid enough that they will stay on when you switch the pages around.

I'm thinking of something like that. It would still be a lot of work with my current system where every day has its own card.

I thought that was SO going to be easy And visually, it is a nice, uncluttered method.

But even with velcro dots or something, I'd need 7 copies of every daily chore for each child!!! That's a lot of prep work just so it says "sweep hallway" instead of simply "sweep." (But, whine, whine, I LIKE it being specific )

Plus, I'd have to remake all my charts so that the chore parts were all the same size.

AND I have some chores that have 3 check boxes (at each meal) and others with only 1.

So, whether I stick with a modification of our current method or something new, I have to "start over" anyway. And I just don't want to do this again in 4 months

I just liked it not being on ME. I mean, of course, it was still on me more than I'd like, but in THEORY, one glance at the chart lets me see how every thing is on track.

I'm interested in how you keep track of money for chores. Both the systems mentioned have piqued my curiosity. We were contemplating a system in the new year that rewards us if we are able to keep up with the new family rules (many of which are oriented toward tidiness and chores). We were thinking of it being a "pool" toward a large family purchase instead of individual kids just getting money (and this way, mom and dad's success contributes as well), but my 7 year is very concerned that he will do every thing he's supposed to but his brothers not. We're perplexed knowing that he is right to be concerned but also knowing that's just how life IS. It just isn't perfect fair

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

VELCRO DOTS

I'm thinking of something like that. It would still be a lot of work with my current system where every day has its own card.

I thought that was SO going to be easy And visually, it is a nice, uncluttered method.

But even with velcro dots or something, I'd need 7 copies of every daily chore for each child!!! That's a lot of prep work just so it says "sweep hallway" instead of simply "sweep." (But, whine, whine, I LIKE it being specific )

Merciful heavens. That does sound like a lot of work!! There's no doubt about it - it would be very neat in how specific it is!

CrunchyMom wrote:
I just liked it not being on ME. I mean, of course, it was still on me more than I'd like, but in THEORY, one glance at the chart lets me see how every thing is on track.

This is where husband can be VERY, VERY helpful. My dh helps with the evening tidy and bedtime routine and he checks the chore chart just to glance at it and see if things are done. It's easy to see if there is food on the floor, dishes in the sink, and animals that haven't been taken care of. It's DAD that holds their feet to the fire, and it works best for us if he just does a quick check as part of the evening routine.

Generally, once a routine is in place, it's pretty easy to work. We have morning chores, after lunch chores, a quick tidy before Dad gets home, and evening chores. They're all pretty simple really and just point toward general order in the home and ALL OF THEM are PEGGED to a meal or something else that doesn't ever go away. These aren't deep clean chores. So, it's easy to see when toys are piling up in the hall, animals need attention, sink is dirty, clothes need to be sorted and washed. And, usually a simple word gets them jump started because they know there are consequences (both good and bad) when it comes to chores.

CrunchyMom wrote:
I'm interested in how you keep track of money for chores.

It isn't super complicated. We WERE offering a set amount weekly, but we have one particular child that needs more daily-specific motivators, and this child also needs a refreshed daily chance for success...so we set the allowance earned to equal one day of work. If the daily work is completed well (within reason), then allowance has been earned for that day. If not, allowance has not been earned. Daily allowance means there's a fresh shot the very next day. The child earns $ by giving best effort. We keep a small notepad near the chore chart on the fridge to make notes if a particular child's allowance needs to be adjusted. It's also a good place for me to keep up with extra money earned during the week. Dad looks there to know whom to pay what at the end of a week.

We pay on a weekly basis, and it's not much. Kids age 10+ open a bank account which is attached to our accounts. This allows us to transfer money into their accounts directly, which is how they save their money. Some children elect to be paid monthly so that Dad will transfer a set amount into their savings account at the end of the month, and bring the rest of the cash home which they then divide up into other specific savings areas. We just keep clear notes on our fridge notepad and the child is responsible for communicating with dad.

We get each child a Dave Ramsey envelope system for organizing their cash money that they save. Even smaller children can use this. We might tape a picture of an event they're saving for on the outside of an envelope, or a particular toy. They know the money they tuck away is being saved for that purpose. (You could certainly make your own envelope system with a hole punch and group of envelopes).

We teach the children to identify goals that they might want to spend their money on. We teach the children to save for future goals. And we teach the children to give. Our kids enjoy giving to Food for the Poor with their money, but giving to the parish is another good way to tithe.

We used to have some trouble with little people finding big kids' money - even when it was put away properly. SO....each child, when they begin receiving allowance money receives a lock box. This has a combination (which they know) and a key over-ride (which we keep). They keep it under their beds or in a closet. It's a good way for them to keep their spending money and a few other small valuables safe and protected from little siblings' hands. This also means that if we go to a thrift store or used book store, they have their own money.

Since individual best effort is asked for in completing work, individual rewards are given in our family. I'm grateful for that because some children are very self-motivated and others....aren't.    Work ethic is very important here, so we try to model it and reward it! We may still do a family reward if we reach a certain benchmark that the family sets as a team.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

We are now doing the same as Monica above - Managers of Their Chores/Chore Packs. Suzanne, you inspired me a few years back and then a friend loaned me her book. I loved the book!

I made my own cards in a Power Point document and then listed everything in a Word document (so that I could see it all in one place as opposed to individual cards). It has been very easy for me to make changes. I simply re-order the cards by changing the number on the actual card with a pen or even switch cards between children. Sometime later I may go and redo the actual document and reprint. I spent so much time planning and organizing that not many changes are needed. I have done this for 6 of my 8 children, and while my older girls don't really need the little pack, I asked them to use it to model for the younger set.

They have daily morning and evening chores like mentioned above and some are only done weekly. I have found this to be no trouble at all because it is listed right on their card. We also have Saturday chores - these are my favorite. In this pack, there are chores done each Saturday, but also a card with a list of monthly chores. These are things like wipe walls, or wash wood floors. These are chores I normally get to if I'm expecting a baby or important company, so I'm thrilled if they get done even every other month or quarterly.

Lists have not worked for me for some reason. I am LOVING this system! It's not perfect, but I think it could be close to perfect if mom (me!) were a bit more consitent with our schedule and time out of the house.

One more thing. What I really, really like is spending a few days deep cleaning where we abandon the chore packs and just clean. Maybe someone has the toddlers in the yard and the rest of us are cleaning walls and windows and curtains......ahhhh.....I do love this. But, it's rare around here lately. So, the daily maintenance of having things in their places and relatively clean using the chore pack system is great!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

The chore pack system looks intriguing. I like, too, that I could make a card for, say, sweeping and break down the days on the back, still only using the one card. I can see, too, how wearing your chores on your person would help define chore time for all of us Mayybe *I*need a chore pack? I think it must be like the index card in the apron pocket system for chores, which I have contemplated for myself at times.

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote amyable

We've tried a little of everything over the years. Finally I decided to give in to "who we are" (thanks JPII ) and go digital. We use My Job Chart which is an online system you can change to fit your needs.

When we are in the habit (right now we are not ), the children love going online to check off their chores, and they earn points which can be translated into money by us or used to buy things online which we have listed on My Job Chart beforehand (which we then pay for as they select it).

We do have a list on the diningroom wall that details what is meant by some of the more complicated chores.

Every month our main chores (kitchen and zone clean up) rotate: e.g. 14yo clears table and washes dishes while the 6yo "assists" these things and sweeps under the table, and the 12 and 8yo are straightening the living and family rooms - the next month the 14 and 6yo are straightening and the 12yo/8yo combo washing dishes/sweeping.

That being said they don't do *enough* chores, but that is my fault, and partially because our small house necessitates less cleaning AND makes it more complicated when things truly don't *have a home*. When *I* get a handle on that, I'll teach the kids.

ETA: I even put school subjects in My Job chart, they can earn a tiny number of points for keeping up with their school work and it helps keep us all accountable. Details of assignments are somewhere else.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mulling over so many of these great ideas!

I like your idea, Krista, because it does seem a nice combination of the principles Jenn outlines with my own aversion to their earning money for brushing their teeth

And, Amy, I'm thinking that the digital system looks ideal for keeping track of whatever rewards system dh and I agree upon. I just KNOW what a flake I am, and given that my 7 year old is often more responsible than I am , I love that he could keep track on his own. I can only imagine that I would not be able to keep track of his achievements with German-like precision that motivates him.

AND, while I think my oldest would temperamentally be fine with a posted list and the online recording mechanism, I am thinking that the Chore Packs seem IDEAL for my 5 year old--and not simply because he is 5 I think that the physical reminder of a "yoke" around his neck could be very useful in keeping him on task. Me thinks he inherited his mother's artistic temperament

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version