Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: environmental stewardship Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 21 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

This is an enlightening quiz to take - The Earth Day Footprint Quiz. It will tell you how many acres of the Earth it takes to support you and your lifestyle.

After the quiz you can access loads of environmental tips and information.

Have fun!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2006 at 9:52pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

SaraP wrote:
Where we are now, though, the only source I know of for organic foods is Whole Foods and I hate shopping there because they give money to Planned Parenthood.

Do you have a Giant where you are, Sara? They have been carrying more organic food lately. (I haven't investigated to whom their donations go.)

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:35am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

All these responses are so wonderful. I had my dh sit down and read through them last night so I could share all the great ideas!

What we do:

* no chemicals outside and bare minimum inside; we use household products from Gaiam and Seventh Generation
* flourescent bulbs through the house
* rechargable batteries
* rain barrel
* we use a reel mower out back (great way to save toads and frogs in the grass )
* our front lawn is large so we do use a regular mower out there but we keep the grass much higher than is the norm for our neighborhood; keeps it from getting too burned out
* we never water our lawn but we do water plants that need it
* we're slowly reducing the amount of grass we have ~ more plants and beds and less lawn
* we buy organic as much as possible ~ always organic eggs, milk and meat
* we belong to an organic CSA
* we recycle everything we can (we have a biweekly pick up)
* we use an environmentally friendly dry cleaner
* downstairs shower has a low-flow head (upstairs is regular)

What we'd like to do:

* cut down on the amount of packaging we buy/use/generate
* be better about utilities
* simplify ~ cut down the amount of *stuff* in our house and bring in less as well
* I accumulate a *lot* of paper ~ newspapers, magazines, etc. I *do* read them and recycle them, but I like the idea someone mentioned about reading online ...
* dh would like to put in solar panels, but the cost is prohibitive
* dh would also like to convert an older car to bio-diesel this year

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 4:40am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Jen L. wrote:
Do you have a Giant where you are, Sara? They have been carrying more organic food lately.

A great thing to do is approach your local market and *ask* that they carry more organic products. Fill out a customer comment card if you can.

Also, I try to ask where the produce has come from, how far has it been shipped? I'll ask why can't they get more local varieties ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 5:23am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

These are all such great ideas. I know I have a lot of changes to make. So far we have a garden (chemical free)and I try to buy organic but I am very limited because of the cost of it. We compost and I try to re-use grocery bags as much as possible. I also have been doing more canning (I love the look of beautiful canning jars on my pantry shelves! And the best is that they are re-usable.) It is difficult for us to get things to the recycling center so I try to re-use as much as possible. One thing that occurred to me when we were visiting my mil recently is that I do way too much laundry. She is very thrifty and we talked about how she didn't wash her kids clothes every day. She pointed out that especially when they are little, most kids don't have "B.0." and so what if they get a little mud on their jeans. They are just going to wear them outside again anyway. That's why their called "play clothes". I have always noticed how my husband is very disciplined about hanging his clothes back up in the closet after he has worn them (unless they are dirty or stinky - he obviously doesn't do this with clothes he wears while working in the garden - check my post about keeping animals out of the garden on another thread ). On the other hand, I am terrible about just tossing my clothes into the laundry hamper without even thinking about whether or not they are dirty. My kids do the same thing. As a matter of fact, my very picky 5yo will change several times a day. If he gets his sleeve wet, off it goes, into the hamper (or on the floor!). I think this is a place we need to make some changes! Not only will it cut down on the amount of water we use, but the amount of detergent as well. Not to mention the time it takes me to do all that laundry.
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2006 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote momwise

My dh and I are just not on the same page right now with how far I'd like to go in keeping the yard organic but thanks to the fact that our former owners left a large composter, we're in agreement about composting and I am adamant about no sprays on my flowers or garden.

I read this article about Wasting Electricity during Lent and it occured to me that I could bring this and other similar themes to the dinner table on a monthly basis as food for thought, so we have read and discussed what it actually means to others to waste what they have worked for from a Catholic persepctive (wonderful opportunities here for bringing the CCC out, and especially good for non-Catholic family members and older visiting children, etc.).

I'm always looking for good Catholic articles about conservation, natural resources, stewardship, etc. so please post here if you know of any.....thanks!

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 22 2006 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

I don't agree with everythingon this listand certainly not every suggestion is practical for each family, but it is a nice starting place for some ideas.

Things we tryto do most of the time, most of which have already been mentioned in previous posts:

• cloth diapers
  • hang clothes out on the line
  • recycle, taking things the city won't accept to the center every couple of weeks
  • combining trips
  • cooking
  • washing only clothes that need washing
  • low water use toilets (free from the city) and low water shower heads (though not too low)
  • buy organic meat from rancher friend
  • shop local produce at the grocer and farmer's market
  • reuse when possible (gift bags, dh brings recycled paper from work for the children to draw on, etc)
  • don't run the water while brushing teeth
  • raise some food, chickens for eggs, and trying to compost
  • trying to buy less, minimize the stuff
  • natural cleaning products
  • reuse/recycle bags
  • solar water heater (came with the house)
  • working on getting a 1000gal rainwater tank
  • organic gardening and shopping organic as much as possible
  • supporting locally owned businesses as much as possible

My recent goal has been to stop/drastically reduce use of paper towels. I grew up in a paper towel household and when my mom visits, she buys a bunch at Sam's Club, because she never thinks I have enough LOL. Anyway, I figure even if we have to buy (make?) a new towel or two every couple of months, it is more efficient and less wasteful than using all those paper towels. I have thought of making cloths for use in the bathroom, as someone mentioned earlier, but I don't know if they would all go for that. I do use washable cloths for the baby bottoms, though.

That is all I can think of for the moment. Fun topic!

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2006 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I've posted this catalog beforebut it's a good link for this thread because so many of the products are made using recycled materials like glass or aluminum cans, and natural, renewable materials like tree bark. All of the food products bring a fair price to the small farmer and some work to preserve natural resources like the Brazil nut trees.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version