Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Potager Plans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Lindsay, I found a few resources online for your garden journal. Here is an article and also some videos showing different ideas for journals, and this sitehas some .pdf templates you can download for free. I have tried to keep a journal, and it would be VERY helpful, but I have never really succeeded!

We are getting ready soon to plant spinach here. You might try your state's agricultural extension office for a chart of what to plant and when to plant it. The Vegetable Garden site has nice charts that summarize planting dates, spacing, depth to plant, etc., for most common home vegetables. Just scroll down and click on the planting chart for your zone.

One thing I suggest when you start your plan is to consider carefully where you will put your perennial vegetables. If you want asparagus, rhubarb, berries, etc., these plants need to be placed where you don't have to move them in the future. I LOVE perennials in general, because even those years when you can't garden you still have something edible to enjoy.

I am planning my teeny-tiny space at this rental house. I have raspberries in one small bed, and my rosemary and chives in the other. I think I am going to add some early spring salad greens-spinach, arugula, lettuces.

I also found a site that has lots of soil testing tips and experiments, which really could be a whole science lesson! Looks like the soil tests use mostly easy-to-find equipment and basic ideas. We're going to try to do some of these as much as an intro to soil science as to find out more about our soil!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

This is my plan that I worked out some time ago.

I don't remember exactly what scale I used , but the whole space is about 50x70 feet and fenced in, sort of around the side of the house. The compass is almost perfectly turned so that out to the front of the porch where all the beds are is South.

The walkways are 4', 3', and 2'. The darker green perimeter bed is 3 feet, and the lighter green shapes are raised beds, ranging from 4x4 to 4x8 and the biggest ones are 6x6ish.

We have a round picnic table with rounded benches we inherited to put in the gray circle in the middle, and I'd like to enventually have some sort of water feature around the blue circle.

A gate will be from where the perimeter bed ends just before the brown dot (that I put there to indicate where we could put some sort of planter/obelisk/trellis thing) to the gray box that I hope will some day be a green house. Of course, there is a giant tree right in the opening for the gate , but sadly, it is on its last legs anyway as it has a giant hole in the back side and it leans (away from the house, fortunately). I think we may go ahead and have it taken out, and then we can keep all the chipping from the brush parts to use as our path for now.

Our future, future plan is to turn the screened in porch into our kitchen. But even now, the porch is just off of the dining room, so not inconvenient. The door for the porch actually opens off the back side, but I might be able to convince dh to add another to the side where everything is happening. The brown doesn't exist yet either, but dh hopes that someday, when we lose the screened in porch, the brown can be a deck.

Our plan before the raise was to just do the middle four beds this year and put up a temporary deer height fence with metal posts and wire, and it still may come to that. However, I had hoped to use the middle four for herbs and ornamentals, the boxes to rotate, and the perimeter for perennials, and it would stink to lose another year on putting in perennials since you have to wait two years to use many of them anyway.

Anyhoo, that's LONG, but I know I am drawn to a garden style that looks permanent and an extension of our home, and I figure that I should have a good idea of what I ultimately want so that what we do in the short term can fit into our long-term plan (which, of course, could change, lol).

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I like the chart in Square Foot Gardening for when to plant things for successive harvesting.

I just really want something like that for all the other gardening landmarks like cutting back your mums, pruning your holly bushes, etc... We always think of doing those things at times when, once we look it up, will undoubtedly ensure that we will have no blossoms or even no bushes come next Spring or Summer--or we forget to do it and have a big scrubby mess like we did with the mums in our front bed

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

CrunchyMom wrote:
I just really want something like that for all the other gardening landmarks like cutting back your mums, pruning your holly bushes, etc... We always think of doing those things at times when, once we look it up, will undoubtedly ensure that we will have no blossoms or even no bushes come next Spring or Summer--or we forget to do it and have a big scrubby mess like we did with the mums in our front bed

Yeah, that would be great to have! Maybe you can use month-at-a-glance calendar and make your own. You would think it would be out there somewhere online, but each zone is different and everybody has different plants, so maybe not.

I love your plans! That will all look so lovely. I think it would be a great idea to start with the herbs in the center. We have deer in Virginia, but they really don't seem to do much damage to the herb beds, so I wonder if you would be OK even without the fence? I think usually lavender, rosemary, chives, thyme, sage, mint, and oregano are pretty safe. Maybe tarragon and basil, too? They've never gotten my basil, but it is in an area near the driveway so maybe cars coming and going scare them off.

It's a very ambitious plan; putting it in over a period of a few years might be a better idea, anyway, than tackling the entire area at one time.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Yes, I'm not sure we could manage all the beds at once!

I would like to be able to get a stretch of the perimeter in, too, though, so we can start some rhubarb and asparagus at least.

Maybe

or

for this year?

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2012 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I think that will be plenty to get started! So, the rhubarb and asparagus will go along the top dark green perimeter? Is that the most southerly portion of the garden, I think you said? Asparagus gets pretty tall in the summer, so you might think about what it is going to shade. Sometimes lettuce does better in a bit of shade.

I did find out that each plant will produce about 6-10 spears or half a pound of asparagus per season. You can harvest for 6 weeks once the plants are established, which takes 2-3 years. So that works out to 1-2 spears per plant per week. Figure out the number of spears per person you eat at a meal (for us, I think it is about 4-5) and then multiply by the 6 of you there are and the number of time per week you plan on eating asparagus (we love asparagus, but really, once a week is enough for us here). So, we'd need about 30 spears to have enough for once a week eating. That works out to about 15-30 crowns. If you buy 2 or 3 year old crowns, you can harvest some after 1 year.

Now, I'm really getting into this!!! How silly!! I can't plant my own asparagus here , so I'll plan out how to plant yours!

And another thought, you might want to wait on the rhubarb until your children are a bit older. The leaves are seriously poisonous to both humans and goats (if you have goats). Might want to plant berries first!

Flowing Streams

keac
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 11 2012 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote keac

Am tucking this post in Favorites to peruse more slowly, as it is now officially Garden Planning Time for me----oops, Potager Planning Time . But in meantime, wanted to share this.

I this option for raised beds. They are on our To Do list for early spring here. I really like that I can tackle it or, better yet, have the boys do so!

$10 Cedar Raised Garden Beds

16 12 10 5 3
Back to Top View keac's Profile Search for other posts by keac

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Wow! She really lucked out on the cost of that cedar!

We plan on building the beds out of cinder block, the top row the hollow kind with hole facing up. We had one like that at our old house, and the block is fun for planting things like strawberries and marigolds.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have a few resources to drop into this thread:

Kitchen Garden Seeds has an absolutely lovely catalog! I have a variety of heirloom seed catalogs, and other favorite catalogs, but the Kitchen Garden Seed catalog just came in the mail and I can't wait to sit down and reward myself after finishing laundry and lessons today....and have a nice, rich, warm cup of cafe' au lait, and peruse this catalog!

Lindsay,
I got the Lee Valley Garden Journal for Christmas. My dad has this garden journal and has been writing in his for years now, and it has always inspired me to want to do the same. I love the quality, look, and I do like the organization and the way it is laid out. There is so much useful in this garden journal, but what I really like is how in my dad's journal he can see what his garden was doing last year at this time....2 years ago....5 years ago. I like the changes that are reflected easily in the journal. This gardener's journal has the large journal section, but also covers a number of other really useful areas that are good for recording and keeping in one place, and each section has places for recording 10 years' worth of jottings....so a page for sketching out your garden layout (x10), planting and harvesting records (x10), etc. I really like the Year-At-A-Glance Planner pages. I've enjoyed starting mine this winter, adding resources and ideas as well as starting our layout.

For raised bed gardeners:
Check with local lumber mills for rough cut lumber when building garden boxes. It pays to call them directly and ask them their prices for rough cut lumber. Rough cut is fine for gardening, a lot less costly, and once it dries and hardens (which doesn't take long, by the way...you'll need to work with rough cut lumber within a couple of weeks), it becomes very hard and durable. We got some cedar, but are also considering rough cut oak which is plentiful around here, and though probably not AS long lasting as cedar, would still make a nice durable garden bed.

Wish I had time to sit down and chat more about garden plans! Maybe soon!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

stellamaris wrote:
I think that will be plenty to get started! So, the rhubarb and asparagus will go along the top dark green perimeter? Is that the most southerly portion of the garden, I think you said? Asparagus gets pretty tall in the summer, so you might think about what it is going to shade. Sometimes lettuce does better in a bit of shade.

I did find out that each plant will produce about 6-10 spears or half a pound of asparagus per season. You can harvest for 6 weeks once the plants are established, which takes 2-3 years. So that works out to 1-2 spears per plant per week. Figure out the number of spears per person you eat at a meal (for us, I think it is about 4-5) and then multiply by the 6 of you there are and the number of time per week you plan on eating asparagus (we love asparagus, but really, once a week is enough for us here). So, we'd need about 30 spears to have enough for once a week eating. That works out to about 15-30 crowns. If you buy 2 or 3 year old crowns, you can harvest some after 1 year.

An asparagus tip: order more than you think you'll need. In my experience, some of it will not work out (like everything else in gardening). Also, plan to mulch the beds well because asparagus beds can get seriously weedy. You'll have to kind of play it by ear as far as when you can harvest. If you do a good job of remembering to fertilize during the growing season -- when asparagus is not producing spears but growing foliage, etc. - you'll get a better harvest the next year. But we usually forgot.

I think you're in the Northeast, aren't you, Lindsay? If so, I had better luck with Barr's Mammoth asparagus. It's not one of the fancy hybrids, but our winters were hard on that stuff. I'd recommend Barr's Mammoth.

If you've never planted asparagus before, though, be prepared for some backbreaking labor. Digging a 12 inch trench is hard work!

Oh, and as for rhubarb... I think you get more bang for your buck with berry bushes, which may bear some in the first year of planting. So if it's a choice, I'd go for berries. Blackberries in particular seem to be quite prolific and easy to grow. I've never had great luck with the thornless varieties, though.

But we did have some rhubarb in our garden in NY. We never had a problem with the kids trying to eat any of it in the garden. I don't think it tastes very good unless it's a stalk cooked with lots of sugar, honey, or strawberries...

(Where's the YUM icon?? )

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Ok, I'm serial posting, but...

Mackfam wrote:

Kitchen Garden Seeds has an absolutely lovely catalog! I have a variety of heirloom seed catalogs, and other favorite catalogs, but the Kitchen Garden Seed catalog just came in the mail and I can't wait to sit down and reward myself after finishing laundry and lessons today....and have a nice, rich, warm cup of cafe' au lait, and peruse this catalog!

I'm not getting many catalogs yet, just Baker Creek and Territorial. Does anybody have Cook's yet?

I just ordered Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Obviously a new one for us.

Kitchen Garden Seeds is a nice catalog. Do they still have Roc d'Or bush beans? They're a yellow bean, and we had very good luck with them. The kids liked them better than green beans.

I took a peek at that garden journal, too... looks nice! I still haven't figured out a decent way to keep a garden journal. The most enduring record I have is in my blog(s). I try to print any of my garden posts at the end of a season. What I like about blogging my garden is that I can include pictures of what the garden actually looked like at various times of the year.

But one year I kept a garden record as an illustrated nature-type journal. That was fun. I'd like to do it again, but it does require me being able to take the time to sketch.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

That's a lovely journal, Jen. I'll try not to be jealous. I do like that format. I also wanted a place to keep my plots, plans, receipts, etc..., though, so I opted to hobble together something. I'm not quite done, but I hope to type up a post and share some of the sources I used and templates I made up.

One source I used was the Nature Journal of Firsts that Betsy shared in this thread. It is a nice format for a diary similar to that in the Lee Valley journal, which I liked. Though not quite as conducive to seeing the years all together at a glance, I figured I could print it out every year and add the pages for the new year on top of the previous. I used card stock hoping it would last. Also, I thought that it would be easier to skim for info since seasonal things often happen with several days variance even if at the same basic time. Plus, I only had to print out 12 pages instead of 365

I also printed on the back of each of those pages a template with lines and checkboxes for "Seasonal Tasks", "To-Do", and some lines for notes for "Next Year..."

And I'm hoping I might be inspired to keep some illustrated nature-type notes. I figure I can do this on loose-leaf for now and slip them into this section. Maybe pressed flowers and herbs, too?

I also have...

a section for my plans I posted here except that I added pages where I enlarged each bed with a grid so I could plot and plan without having to redraw them every time I change my mind

and

a template sheet for each plant so I can record the catalog, seed packet, or tag info and other notes to remember regarding the particular plant. I plan on keeping these in plastic sleeves so I can drop in the seed packet or a photo for a picture, and I hope to keep the print outs for various methods I'm trying with the plant info pages. I usually have stacks and stacks of dirty print outs about all the different things I'm trying to remember stuffed in a plastic box with seeds spilling everywhere MUST have a system!

I plan to scan and print out the successive planting chart from Square Foot Gardening, which I reference CONSTANTLY.

And I think I might keep a separate section and chart for seed starting. I don't have a good picture of just how I want to keep track of that. It can be a mess and overwhelming (and they all look the same as seedlings ), but my garden was SO MUCH better when I set out my own seeds. Cheaper AND Better. Its more work, obviously, but I actually enjoyed that part of it more than other aspects. Those little seedlings are so cute, I felt like a mother hen coddling them

The trick is having all the supplies ready to go in time. We have some narrow shelves behind the hot water heater that are awkward to get to but seem ideal if I can get dh to hang my grow lights there. Out of the reach of little ones and in the room with the furnace.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
raised bed gardeners:
Check with local lumber mills for rough cut lumber when building garden boxes. It pays to call them directly and ask them their prices for rough cut lumber. Rough cut is fine for gardening, a lot less costly, and once it dries and hardens (which doesn't take long, by the way...you'll need to work with rough cut lumber within a couple of weeks), it becomes very hard and durable.

Good tip! I might have to look into that and compare the cost.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

mackfam wrote:
I got the Lee Valley Garden Journal for Christmas. My dad has this garden journal and has been writing in his for years now, and it has always inspired me to want to do the same. I love the quality, look, and I do like the organization and the way it is laid out.

Had to laugh at this! It is a very nice journal, so nice that about 10 years ago I bought it for myself...then I had the twins and another baby the next year, and never recorded a SINGLE thing! Every year I was confronted with a myriad of mysteries when the garden perennials began to grow...I got very good at identifying the teeny-tiniest first leaves of all kinds of plants!    Finally, after years of thinking, "I really OUGHT to write this down!", I accepted the reality of my failings and gave it away to a gardening friend. Wish I still had it to give to you, Lindsey! Although, it really looks like you have a lot of great ideas for your own journal! Hope you have better success actually WRITING in it than I did!

Flowing Streams

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

stellamaris wrote:
mackfam wrote:
I got the Lee Valley Garden Journal for Christmas. My dad has this garden journal and has been writing in his for years now, and it has always inspired me to want to do the same. I love the quality, look, and I do like the organization and the way it is laid out.

Had to laugh at this! It is a very nice journal, so nice that about 10 years ago I bought it for myself...then I had the twins and another baby the next year, and never recorded a SINGLE thing! Every year I was confronted with a myriad of mysteries when the garden perennials began to grow...I got very good at identifying the teeny-tiniest first leaves of all kinds of plants!    Finally, after years of thinking, "I really OUGHT to write this down!", I accepted the reality of my failings and gave it away to a gardening friend. Wish I still had it to give to you, Lindsey! Although, it really looks like you have a lot of great ideas for your own journal! Hope you have better success actually WRITING in it than I did!

I can totally identify with this!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Angel wrote:
stellamaris wrote:
mackfam wrote:

I can totally identify with this!

Me, too! Maybe if I can be diligent in keeping my free journal, I'll splurge on the nicer one down the road

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

stellamaris wrote:

Now, I'm really getting into this!!! How silly!! I can't plant my own asparagus here , so I'll plan out how to plant yours!

And another thought, you might want to wait on the rhubarb until your children are a bit older. The leaves are seriously poisonous to both humans and goats (if you have goats). Might want to plant berries first!

Okay, so, well, we've had to revamp our plan

BUT, the perimeter beds are still the same as the above, and likely will be even if we revamp our plans again.

So, my question is, there is a tall fence around the perimeter, and the top bed is along the southern border of the garden. So, will the fence make it too shady to grow asparagus? Do I need to put it along the east side? If I do, can I plant a double row in a three foot bed? Anyone know?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

from Intensive Gardening asparagus should have 15-18 inches in between.. so you should be able to plant a double row in a 3 foot bed.. I would plant the front row between the back row.. you know.. so that the front row isn't shading the back row.. stagger them I guess. And from what I've read asparagus likes full sun and will tolerate partial shade. And that you want about 10 plants per person.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

CrunchyMom wrote:

So, my question is, there is a tall fence around the perimeter, and the top bed is along the southern border of the garden. So, will the fence make it too shady to grow asparagus? Do I need to put it along the east side? If I do, can I plant a double row in a three foot bed? Anyone know?

How tall is your fence? If you get 6 hours of sunshine a day, it should be ok.

And I'm pretty sure we have a double row of asparagus in a 3 foot bed. We did in NY, too. I think I left about a foot in between rows?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Angel wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

How tall is your fence? If you get 6 hours of sunshine a day, it should be ok.

And I'm pretty sure we have a double row of asparagus in a 3 foot bed. We did in NY, too. I think I left about a foot in between rows?

Well, there is no fence yet, but the plan is for it to be 7 feet total, but not solid. My worry is that there will always be a shade right in front of the fence since it is on the South side, so the bed is due North of it. Our back patio is almost always shaded, but then, my house is a lot taller than a fence.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version