Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Easy Way to Unleash Creativity Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 07 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:
Erin,
This is a fantastic idea! I did something similar to what you did at the beginning of our schoolyear (July) in our learning room and everyone is really enjoying it, too! I set up an art center island out in the middle of our room. We had an old tv stand and it's really sturdy and solid wood (so it's great for holding materials) and the kids really gravitate toward the art materials I set on top of it. I put our art calendar display there as well! I did have to cover the ugly back of the cabinet since it floats out in the center of the room - used a very cheery red oilcloth with white polka dots. Now I like looking at the back of it more than the front of it!!! I keep meaning to do a blog post on it and have one halfway started....just haven't ever posted it.

I'll share pics if you will!

Loved seeing the visuals of Erin's pictures, and wanted to come back and drop in some images of our little floating-in-the-room art center. I set this up over the summer when I tidied our learning room to begin the new year, and I really like that it is frequented throughout the day.

Remember, this is an old tv cabinet (free on Craigslist) that I used. The drawers contain other art supplies (felt, wooden craft objects, other paints, glues, etc).

I like keeping our art-page-a-day calendar out on the art center. It has FINALLY found its home here! I've had it practically everywhere in the room....but it's clear that THIS is its home. The kids like looking at it here, and will often comment on the art.

In this image you can see the back side of the tv cabinet which I covered in oilcloth to disguise the ugly particle board. Makes a nice wipeable surface. My littlest's table backs up to the art center and this works out nicely because she LOVES coloring and "writing" and art projects.

Anyone else set up an art center that unleashes and invites creativity? I'd love to add more pictures to this thread! PM me and I'll upload them for you.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 07 2011 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin wrote:
The interesting trend I have noted is, as their creativity increases so too does a natural interest in real learning. I may start teaching a topic but then the dc run away with it, take it to a deeper level. Does academics increase with creativity? I'm sure studies must support this, anyone know?

I think so, and have seen this borne out in our home over and over again. A literature rich home is a home full of ideas and children have a natural desire to DO SOMETHING with those ideas when they encounter them. This deepening you speak of is a growing into relationship with an idea! Children are natural explorers!!!!! I think this is not only the purpose, but also the great strength of Masterly Inactivity. These art centers put "children in the way" of tools and invite them to deepen their relationship with ideas.

By the way, this is one reason I do VERY, VERY little structured science experiments or art programs in my home! I've discovered that with tools, opportunity and a little invitation, children will naturally explore these mediums on their own AS LONG AS they are exposed to rich, worthy, living ideas through literature! It is relaxed and inviting, and the pressure is TOTALLY OFF ME! - the child explores that which he/she is excited about and interested in, thus there is no motivation issue. It is an area that unschooling meshes with a CM education and I have seen the benefits of it and have lived the beauty of it enough to embrace it. I'm pretty sure that's what you're finding with your art centers, Erin! All we REALLY have to do is put the children IN THE WAY of beautiful, inviting materials and tools...and let them run with it!

I'd love to hear more if others have observed this in their own homes!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Erin wrote:
Sharyn
Now a lockable metal cabinet sounds fantastic! Where did you get this? I'm all ears.

You can get them from office supplies stores. Here's a pic of one Officeworks sells, but you can get them cheaper if you look about.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Jen, I love how you have covered the little table, what a good idea. Our current tables get dirty so quickly. They weren't really meant for the use we put them to and they are covered with crayon and pencil marks. What is the covering exactly?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 6:52am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

It's oilcloth, Sharyn.

Our little wooden table is covered with silver and army green model paint. From a certain someone painting a B52 model on his little sister's table. Model paint doesn't budge with anything short of sandpaper.    

I found a good quality, thick oilcloth (I actually prefer to order from the UK as their oilcloth is thicker) and layed it out with the table upside down on top of the oilcloth, cut it with about 2" of overhang, folded it under the lip of the table and then used a staplegun to hold it in place. Very, very easy. It wipes clean so nicely.

Here is a good explanation of the difference in today's "oilcloth". What you buy in the US is usually a vinyl on a cotton mesh base (so that when the vinyl is applied it goes through the cotton base and the end result is that the top and bottom have that plastic coated feel). I have this on my sewing table, and while sturdy, it isn't as thick as the oilcloth I ordered from the UK. UK oilcloth is mostly a PVC or vinyl coated cotton which results in an overall thicker (just slightly...and maybe mostly in feel to me) cloth. The back of the fabric still feels like *fabric*, as opposed to plastic-y, and it's much more malleable. It drapes more like fabric, while the top has the vinyl coating which makes it durable. It's my preference.

Favorite sources of UK oilcloth:

Norfolk Textiles
Cath Kidston USA (US options for Cath Kidston, a UK based company. I *think* these are
The Tablecloth Co. (ebay shop)
The Fabric Factory (ebay shop)

I probably need to put this in the oilcloth sewing thread. And I really need to do a post with pictures because this was a super easy project and a great solution for any family attempting to *disguise* model-paint-esque-less-than-visually-pretty surfaces.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jen, did you compare laminated cotton with UK oilcloth? It sounds very similar.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I am so happy that I stumbled onto this thread this morning. I have been trying to think how to have an art centre in our living area for a month now. My motivation for this is different than the other posters in this thread. My youngest is struggling with learning difficulties and anxiety. Creating gives her peace. I wanted her to have an easy access place where she can create with whatever materials she wants. I also wanted those materials to be visually placed. I have an island in the kitchen that stores our art supplies but they are closed off. Out of sight, out of mind.

I have been trying to think of where to have this centre. Last week, the answer came to me. For the past little while, my youngest has been anxious about sleeping by herself. My ds has been sleeping in the same room with her to help aleviate her fears. His toys are still in his bedroom as are his bed and dresser (as he changes in there) but, basically that room is unused. I noticed last week that there is an old spiderman card table in the room collecting clutter.

The lightbulb clicked on and I thought how I could use son's bedroom as our art centre. The card table would suffice but I would only need to think of how to store the art supplies.

Reading this thread has caused the bulb to go off again. When my children were babies, a friend constructed a change table for us out of wood. Right now this table is storing old VHS tapes in the basement. I am going to clear it off and haul it into the bedroom to house our art supplies. The change table has a flat surface (obviously), an open shelf and a closed shelf so this will meet my needs perfectly.

I have also been perusing Pinterest for some art and craft ideas. I think that I will supply a picture of some neat craft idea periodically, have the necessary supplies available and let them go at it to see what they can create.

Thank you, Erin, for this thread. It has helped me to brainstorm in the context of my own situation.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'm just popping on to share some links. Still working on my closet (we have shelves!! ) and art area. There was some watercolor today, which proves to me that what the kids really need is to see me cultivating a place, an interest, etc for curiousity to bloom. I think it must be like gardens.

Anyway, I remembered a couple of things I thought would be good to link on this thread:

Kimberlee's Art Table at Pondered in My Heart (Really, her whole Arts and Crafts category is a treasure trove.)

Organizing art supplies is a thread with links to more threads about organizing supplies and making them useful.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Mackfam wrote:
It's oilcloth, Sharyn.

Thanks Jen! I love the UK fabric, thanks so much for the links. I didn't realise it could come in such pretty designs. I would be tempted to buy roses, but my boys wouldn't approve

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Angel wrote:
(Really, her whole Arts and Crafts category is a treasure trove.)
Isn't it ever Angela Thanks for the links!

Claire F
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Claire F

Thanks for the ideas (I feel like I should just add that to my signature, since I think it everytime I open this forum). :)

Since we started homeschooling, I noticed that my boys have had a renewed interest in creating. My oldest loves art projects, and he simply started asking for things so he could create. Both of them (they are almost-7 and 4) have gone on a virtual art-making spree over the last couple of months, largely without any direction from me.

I decided to take that and run with it. Although I don't have a good place for an art center (and a toddler who I cannot trust with access to most materials), I am blessed with an enormous pantry in my home. I did some rearranging, and made a big space for art supplies. I did a little shopping this afternoon and got some organizational tools, as well as some more art supplies, to beef up our collection and make it easily accessible to my boys. Now they have easy access to various paper, colored pencils, markers, crayons, glue sticks, paint and brushes. There are other materials as well - pom poms, sparkly pipe cleaners, googly eyes, craft feathers, sequins, and other things we had on hand, but weren't all in one place.

They have free access to most of it, although I've asked them to ask permssion before getting out paint or glitter. I want them to be able to be messy and creative, but sometimes those things need a little prep from Mommy to minimize the damage. :)

I showed them the new art area today and my oldest was particularly excited (my other son was still pouting about something else, LOL). I'm excited to see how they take advantage of everything.

I also need to think of new ways to store and display their artwork, which was already prolific. :)

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2011 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Just wanted to add that TV can be a big drain to creativity. My eldest two didn't watch much. I would give them pencils and paper and say 'go draw'. And without much instruction they have become very talented at drawing and get much enjoyment from it.
The next two have plain watched too much TV. They don't draw much and their skill for their age is average.

Now I was going to post this before, but after looking at vintage handmade on ebay yesterday it really hit me, people have lost their creativity, not entirely, but in a large part, due to TV. All these beautiful lace, croquet, and quilt items took a lot of time and effort to make. This was what people did when they had some time to sit down and relax. Now people sit and unwind in front of the TV. And for many of us we have lost our creative outlet because of it.

So I am filled with a renewed vigor to get our supplies organised nicely and attractively, not to mention to really direct our efforts to buying more and different things for us to explore. Goodbye TV! .... Well I'm sure we'll watch the odd program or two. Gotta love those animal, science, history, cooking etc. programs     

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2011 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Sharyn wrote:
Just wanted to add that TV can be a big drain to creativity.

I've got my eldest dd's voice ringing in my head here. We were talking about this last night and she said Mum it's not just TV, it's computers and mobile phones too. So I should expand this comment to 'electronic devices'.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Sharyn

Agree 100% with you. We've long called it 'screen time'. Too much screen time impacts drastically on creativity with our children and also on the time they play outside engaging in nature. Time with nature is also important for creativity.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Erin wrote:
Time with nature is also important for creativity.

Now here's a topic that's weighing on my mind. We moved to where we are about a year ago after our last rental sold. Our last place had a lovely big yard with a developed native garden, including a couple of eucalypts. They would go out and play all day. Our current place has a strip of yard around the house, and the sum total of plants are 8 cordylines and a small lawn.

Ever since we moved I have been complaining that our yard is too small and dull, and the kids have been complaining right along with me. But a couple of weeks ago I read something that made me rethink my attitude, and I thought we have to enjoy what we have, and let's make it better (I'm thinking lot's of pot plant's, a woodwork bench, bug houses)and it's amazing to see the kids catch onto this and see things in a better light too.

But then I was reading Free Range Learning by Laura Grace Weldon last night and it discusses the importance of natural surroundings, and I can't help wondering if we shouldn't move again sooner rather than later. Time is so short. I was also having a chat with my eldest dd last night, and she said she misses the sound of birds in the morning. And so do I. But here we are. God has put us here for a purpose. We have a significant mole cricket population, we have enough sand to build a dirt volcano as I have seen this morning

Imagination is never lacking in children. Perhaps this is the moment, when I see that I must join them

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version