Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Charlotte Mason's Notebooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

So Jodie, if I'm picturing this correctly, would it be like a child's "lift the flap" or "fold out" book?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

yes Becky.. maybe a bit more like the fold out maps in some books.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

JodieLyn wrote:
Another idea for loose pages in a bound book. When I was in college we had a composition book for a class on Children's literature. And sometimes I would work on other paper and then to add it into the book I would turn the pages sideways (top to spine) and staple at the top and bottom of the book's page. The excess paper was then folded to fit inside the composition book. You end up with a slightly "stuffed" look to the composition book but I tended to be happy with the way the pages looked rather.. the plus side being you could either go with a lined composition book and staple in pictures on unlined paper or you could go with an unlined composition book and staple in written pages on lined paper if you were writing something longer.

We did something similar with our "Science Journals" we were supposed to teach our students how to use. Although usually we used a glue stick. Do you think over time a glue stick would work and not make the whole thing too stiff? I did something like this recently in my son's Primary Language Lesson composition notebook. He has a mead composition notebook he is using for his written responses. I have a copy of the Lost Classics Hardback and haven't replaced it with the Hillside color edition. When we did Lesson 23, I found a picture of the painting on wikipedia and copied to a word document. My son narrated his answers to me, as we do some lessons orally. I typed them under the picture then printed, cut to size, and glued into his book. It wasn't folded, but I could see doing the same thing with a full page as well, especially in a nature or science journal, or with a special note booking page for copy work, etc.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

From Jenny's blog- I liked this post a while back on making composition notebooks pretty:

Pretty Composition Notebooks

Hopefully not too off topic!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, and it goes without saying that I have favorite notebook - a Charlotte Mason notebook! In a favorite Robin's Egg Blue color!!! Do y'all have a CM notebook?

Also, adding that recently I was intrigued to see that Simply Charlotte Mason had published a Book of Centuries. After looking closely, I was so excited to purchase the pdf of the SCM book and print on cardstock the Century pages and the Noteworthy pages to add to my children's existing BOC. This is one of the reasons I'm very glad to have a binder version of a BOC.

The Ivory cardstock I used to print the two pages (front to back) matches the Ivory cardstock in their existing BOC book. I just printed the AD Century pages, and it doesn't add too much bulk, but I really have always wanted to encourage the century pages. I placed each of the pages at the beginning of each century. The Noteworthy pages are formatted so similarly to our favorite timeline referece, Bernard Grun's Timetables of History, which is why I wanted to add that page, too.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You can get archival quality gluesticks with scrapbooking supplies I believe. I think the regular gluesticks do deteriorate with time.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I loved Jenny's cover fix tutorial!

We really like pretty composition books, too. If you look around you will find that there are lots of cover design options to choose from if you enjoy a composition book for your notebook.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JodieLyn wrote:
You can get archival quality gluesticks with scrapbooking supplies I believe. I think the regular gluesticks do deteriorate with time.

That was going to be my suggestion, too. Look in the scrapbooking section. Even Walmart carries supplies like this. We use scrapbooking supplies for affixing papers to our notebooks, in particular we like acid free tapes and glues, and for adding pictures we sometimes use the small picture corners. Those are nice for adding a small holy card, too.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I swoon at Robin's Egg Blue. That's the notebooks we use. When KC visited many years ago, she brought these "prettied" notebooks as gifts. The way these were covered was two contrasting sheets of paper. The one on the outside of the covers was folded into the inside. She also had a ribbon glued on the inside of the cover. Then a sheet of paper just a little smaller around the edges is glued on top of the folded edges and ribbon.

They are lovely, and I keep forgetting to do this on my own.

I bought some paper from Paper Mojo which was perfect for this endeavour.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

CrunchyMom wrote:
Can you post a link to what you use as a notebook?

Like Jen mentioned sometimes its not about the tools but the process. Although I enjoy pretty and pleasing things around me . I found that if I give the kids the same they enjoy it a little more too. They have a little pride in showing it off . I think even the tools I give them as simple as paper adds to that atmosphere we were talking about a few weeks ago.

I'm always on the look out for nice notebooks so I don't mind spending a little extra here and there to keep my drawer supplied. I prefer bound to spiral because they take the wear a little better. I found some of what we use on line, although most of these I've bought because I actually looked at them and touched them:

Mead Primary Journal I had to dress this up.
Eeboo Big Blank Books I found these at a Tea shop and really liked them. There are not alot of pages in them so I don't feel guilty because most of the pages get used up.

Moleskin Volant I found these at Target and well, you can't go wrong with the brandm their blank notebooks are also great for sketching.

Greenroom Eco also carried by Target are our favorite for prettiness and last

Never discount the $1.00 bins at crafts stores. I always pick up their compact journals. I've had my girls go through these with some great stories, um, sorry Books that they write. They keep those in their room desk drawers.

Lindsay, I'm starting to look for boyish ones as well. So instead of flowerish stuff I've been buying lines, plaid, or animals. I found some at Joann's that had black and white trucks as a cover.

Think me silly but the look and feel of tool inspires around here.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
JodieLyn wrote:

That was going to be my suggestion, too. Look in the scrapbooking section. Even Walmart carries supplies like this. We use scrapbooking supplies for affixing papers to our notebooks, in particular we like acid free tapes and glues, and for adding pictures we sometimes use the small picture corners. Those are nice for adding a small holy card, too.

I just learned how to make small scripture booklets they use in atriums. Sewn booklet, then add a hard cover. The paste they use can be found at Michael's (and probably elsewhere) Yes! Paste, but this would fit this need. Doesn't break down, archival quality, etc.

It's sticky, but not unbearable, and virtually no odor.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Grace&Chaos wrote:
Think me silly but the look and feel of tool inspires around here.

Not silly at all. I think this is echoed time and again in all categories of life.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm confused, Jen and Jenn, are you talking about making your own Robin's Egg Blue notebook out of a composition notebook?

I do like making the composition book pretty with scrapbook paper, but I have had the covers become brittle over time and come loose around the edges on my own version. Maybe the archival glue stick would be less of a problem? Or perhaps using rubber cement? I suppose the folded over version with ribbon helps with that, it is just a little more involved.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
I'm confused, Jen and Jenn, are you talking about making your own Robin's Egg Blue notebook out of a composition notebook?

Yes, that what *I* mean. I swoon when I see that color. I can't speak for Jen, though.

Perhaps that's why a Tiffany's box is so appealing?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:
Can you post a link to what you use as a notebook?

Like Jen mentioned sometimes its not about the tools but the process. Although I enjoy pretty and pleasing things around me . I found that if I give the kids the same they enjoy it a little more too. They have a little pride in showing it off . I think even the tools I give them as simple as paper adds to that atmosphere we were talking about a few weeks ago.

Oh I completely agree! And that's a really good thought because it DOES have a profound affect on the atmosphere, doesn't it?

I love the *greenroom by eco* books we pick up at Target - those are our favorites, too! And I have just recently in the last year or so become a HUGE fan of eeboo products so I'm glad to see you link those darling books! I may look into those for my littler people!

And of course, I still love my 3 ring binders and notebooking pages, with covers decorated with scrapbook paper. We use a combination of composition books and 3 ring binders here. All must be pretty! Or manly....depending on who you ask here!   

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Mackfam wrote:
   Do y'all have a CM notebook?

Care to share what you keep in your CM notebook? I think I have one! It's just in bits and pieces with notes about this and that here and there!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

Yes, that what *I* mean. I swoon when I see that color. I can't speak for Jen, though.

Perhaps that's why a Tiffany's box is so appealing?

Oh I just drool over Tiffany's robin's egg blue!!!!!!!! Something so delicate and feminine about the color to me. But I digress...

My CM notebook was found, not made...in a pretty robin's egg blue. It's from Studio Oh! - very similar to this one....only mine has a robin's egg blue elastic ribbon around it, and more robin's egg blue flowers, and the pages are in the robin's egg blue color alternating with pages in a creamy ivory with tangerine and robin's egg blue borders.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky Parker wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
   Do y'all have a CM notebook?

Care to share what you keep in your CM notebook?

Just quotes I find inspiring or particularly important. It's essentially a commonplace notebook with a CM theme.

Becky Parker wrote:
I think I have one! It's just in bits and pieces with notes about this and that here and there!

Oh, well it sounds like you do then ...and now you have a reason to assemble it all in a pretty little notebook and then it won't be here and there any more!

And, as you model your notebooking, I'm betting the kids will sit with you and do a bit of their notebooking along with you. Why not ask for 30 minutes of notebooking time on a quiet afternoon each week. Sit down and add a few of your here and there clippings to your CM notebook, and let the kids get out their BOC or poetry notebook or nature notebook and work on theirs!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm catching up on some of the reading that I didn't read too closely the first time.

AmandaV wrote:
I did something like this recently in my son's Primary Language Lesson composition notebook. He has a mead composition notebook he is using for his written responses. I have a copy of the Lost Classics Hardback and haven't replaced it with the Hillside color edition. When we did Lesson 23, I found a picture of the painting on wikipedia and copied to a word document. My son narrated his answers to me, as we do some lessons orally. I typed them under the picture then printed, cut to size, and glued into his book. It wasn't folded, but I could see doing the same thing with a full page as well, especially in a nature or science journal, or with a special note booking page for copy work, etc.

This is a neat idea, Amanda! It might be fun to do this in a picture study notebook, placing the art image on a piece of paper and allowing the child to put a written narration below it, or even a piece of poetry they may be inspired to write. In fact, this would be a neat idea for an end of term exam question - *compose a poem to describe the scene taking place in this artwork*. Especially if the artwork is of a historical event, like Washington's crossing the Delaware! Thanks for sharing how you do this, Amanda!

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Mackfam wrote:

This is a neat idea, Amanda! It might be fun to do this in a picture study notebook, placing the art image on a piece of paper and allowing the child to put a written narration below it, or even a piece of poetry they may be inspired to write. In fact, this would be a neat idea for an end of term exam question - *compose a poem to describe the scene taking place in this artwork*. Especially if the artwork is of a historical event, like Washington's crossing the Delaware! Thanks for sharing how you do this, Amanda!

Thanks, Jen! I like the use for picture study you suggested. Happy to provide ideas- I've gotten plenty from all of you these last few years!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version