Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Charlotte Mason's Notebooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 31 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Cross posting with a couple of you! Glad we were thinking along similar lines - the context and history of Commonplace books.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Betsy wrote:
Grace&Chaos wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
especially our new *Book of Firsts*! These are wonderful tools for the child to place ideas so that over time, connections may be fostered!

Without getting to off topic. I just read this somewhere else. Can you tell us what it is? I've heard of all the other notebooks, but this one I'm only guessing about

I just wanted to pass on that I created my own Catholic Nature Book of Firsts this year, because I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just posed it here. I would love for others to enjoy it and to here any feed back.

We had our first frost this morning and I am printing this off right now to start using! Thank you for such a beautiful book!

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 19 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

In Praise of the Commonplace Book

A short but inspiring praise of the commonplace book that closes delightfully thus:

Quote:
At negligible cost and just a little effort, Saint Augustine and the Founding Fathers, Old Possum and Russell Kirk and Professor Tolkien, and moderns such as Brad Birzer and others can all reside together in suitably splendid accommodation on your coffee-table, ready to delight and provoke with great ideas both you and your great-grandchildren.

And nevermore will you do that forgetful, embarrassing, Bertie Wooster thing: “That chappie says what glory does, Jeeves, like water rippling don’t you know.”

“’Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught’? It was the Swan of Avon, I believe, Sir.”

“Spot on, Jeeves, spot on as usual.”

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Bumping this because I am wondering if we could talk a bit more about CM's notebooks. I loved this discussion about Commonplace books and the Book of Firsts. What other notebooks do you use? Can you help me with the logistics? It's all kind of overwhelming right now.    
I'm wondering when is notebooking incorporated into your day? Do you have a special time set aside for just notebooking, or is it attached to the subject (for a day's history assignment the child makes an entry in his notebook). Or maybe the child just grabs his notebooks when he feels he has something to add to them? (Unfortunately that doesn't work for us. My kids don't make an entry in them until they are told to do so.
I'm disappointed because I have really been trying to do more notebooking, but as excited as I am about the whole thing, my kids are reluctant. I'm wondering if it's my approach.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Becky Parker wrote:
Bumping this because I am wondering if we could talk a bit more about CM's notebooks. I loved this discussion about Commonplace books and the Book of Firsts. What other notebooks do you use? Can you help me with the logistics? It's all kind of overwhelming right now.    
I'm wondering when is notebooking incorporated into your day? Do you have a special time set aside for just notebooking, or is it attached to the subject (for a day's history assignment the child makes an entry in his notebook). Or maybe the child just grabs his notebooks when he feels he has something to add to them? (Unfortunately that doesn't work for us. My kids don't make an entry in them until they are told to do so.
I'm disappointed because I have really been trying to do more notebooking, but as excited as I am about the whole thing, my kids are reluctant. I'm wondering if it's my approach.

Can I piggyback your question?

I've been pondering notebooking in the general sense of what we see everywhere, like Notebooking Pages and such.

I am not drawn to these pre-made pages at all. Am I totally off? Is this notebooking in the popular state right now a stretch of the "Charlotte Mason" method but not what she meant by notebooks?

I can't seem to get enthusiastic about notebooking, mainly because of all the papers involved. Loose papers and 3 ring binders are not my favorite friends. I find it gets messy. I prefer a bound or spiral notebook to keep everything together. So if I do go notebooking, I think I would "prebind" the notebook pages instead of doing loosely.

So this is my question, in my mind, CM notebooking uses premade books and usually or mostly blank, although something like a Book of Centuries would have standard repeated organization from page to page.

Am I completely off?

And since we have revived this thread, can we have a list (I'm such a list person) of all the typical CM notebooks she would encourage?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

JennGM wrote:

And since we have revived this thread, can we have a list (I'm such a list person) of all the typical CM notebooks she would encourage?

Oh yes, please! That would be very helpful.
Great things to discuss Jennifer.    

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Regarding the Book of Centuries, here's a wealth of information:
Book of Centuries posts

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I think the appeal of the premade pages is for something to look uniform and attractive with minimal effort. I think of it as more of an extension of copywork or drawn narrations rather than a medium for specifically Charlotte Mason notebooks.

It doesn't really take the place of a book of centuries or a commonplace book, but it is easier for littler ones to use before introducing those notebooks (which, Charlotte Mason didn't seem to do until 4-5th grade when the child was capable of keeping such a bound book neat and tidy and had more control over penmanship.

I can also see the collections used as a helpful spine for history or science or nature study. They are very open ended but often comprehensive, so building your living books around the notebooking pages for a specific study would be effective, especially when living in a place where records/portfolios are required.

But, logistically, you are right. I find it very, very challenging to use the printable pages effectively.

I know that in the past, I have had my boys draw things for nature notebooks on looseleaf paper and then cut it out and paste it into a bound book. I know that my oldest would get very frustrated right now in keeping a bound book because, if he messed up, the "permanence" of it all would distress him. Looseleaf pages make do-overs easier for littler ones, which is probably one reason waiting until later Elementary to start the "official" books makes sense.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I am torn, because I have the same experience of not wanting to permanently ruin the notebook, but I also find the loose pages get damaged more easily. They don't always get in the binder, and writing and carrying a binder isn't comfortable, either.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Becky Parker wrote:

I have to admit I'm not a notebooking gal. Like Jenn, trying to find pages is just a little much for me. What I do like is pretty sturdy notebooks. I'm always on the look out for them. I keep a bottom filing drawer for them. At the start of the year the kids are assigned one like say a Science notebook or Music notebook to record anything they like.

Like Lindsay mentioned they are not required to have common place notebooks yet (only one of my kids is above 4th grade), but I found that they enjoy having them. My third grade daughter enjoyed drawing a picture of each instrument they learned about in their Instruments book and that's fine. It's her way of connecting and really takes the place of notebooking pages for us.

I think this is the beginning of creating a habit for us. You grab your subject material it includes your notebook. They can write, draw or both. Again, habit has leads them to do this during certain subject sessions. This is the case with a few subjects like science,geography, music, poetry, Shakespeare,...

When a comman place book is new to them and we are just starting a habit I actually schedule it in for them. So say a BOC and Nature Journals, I've actually scheduled once a week. I also have scheduled written narrations twice a week for my oldest(she has a narrations notebook for the year). She chooses which books to narrate.

Without prompting, I've had my kids naturally ask me for notebooks in order to start their own common place books like a Book of Quotations, or their own poetry/creative writing work. My son has a sketch book and took his sisters enthusiasm and now carries around his own book to write in. These are completely their own and I'm always happy to look at them if they choose to share.

Our Book of Firsts sits on my desk and is still new to us. We were really good about it during the fall months but have fallen short this winter. My daughter has reminded about a few firsts already that we need to fill in .

O.K. maybe this seems a bit much or chaotic but really I think it comes down to habits we've created and feeling organized.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
I am torn, because I have the same experience of not wanting to permanently ruin the notebook, but I also find the loose pages get damaged more easily. They don't always get in the binder, and writing and carrying a binder isn't comfortable, either.

Jenn, I'm always looking for inexpensive notebooks at places like Target, Michael's or Joann's. I figure what I spend on the notebook I'd probably use up toner and paper too. I'm not a fan of binders either, the pages just don't stay in them around here and they are bulky. The smaller notebook is compact and goes write in the filing cabinet 'till next time.

For my new writers, I've been using the StartWrite program to just print the guided writing lines on packaging labels and then sticking them in the notebooks if they need them. I just created several of these and keep them in a file folder on my desk.

(I should clarify that I've enjoyed printing their copywork pages using StartWrite and then binding those.)

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Grace&Chaos wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Jenn, I'm always looking for inexpensive notebooks at places like Target, Michael's or Joann's. I figure what I spend on the notebook I'd probably use up toner and paper too. I'm not a fan of binders either, the pages just don't stay in them around here and they are bulky. The smaller notebook is compact and goes write in the filing cabinet 'till next time.

For my new writers, I've been using the StartWrite program to just print the guided writing lines on packaging labels and then sticking them in the notebooks if they need them. I just created several of these and keep them in a file folder on my desk.

(I should clarify that I've enjoyed printing their copywork pages using StartWrite and then binding those.)

Packaging labels? Wow, that's a wonderful idea. Do you have an inexpensive source?

My Startwrite pages are loose.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Grace&Chaos wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Packaging labels? Wow, that's a wonderful idea. Do you have an inexpensive source?

That is really brilliant!!! I'd love it if you could share what brand/size/source of packaging labels you use, Jenny!

Startwrite and I aren't getting along very well right now.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Mackfam wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Grace&Chaos wrote:
JennGM wrote:

That is really brilliant!!! I'd love it if you could share what brand/size/source of packaging labels you use, Jenny!

Startwrite and I aren't getting along very well right now.

I like the Avery brand and get them on Amazon.

Grace in Loving Chaos

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Jenny, I am in awe of your genius.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Can you post a link to what you use as a notebook?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Becky Parker wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Oh yes, please! That would be very helpful.

This is a list of all of the notebooks that Charlotte Mason references in her books. Some are only mentioned in passing and only the slightest bit of information is given about the notebook. The source of some of this is a talk I heard by Laurie Bestvater entitled: Forms of Vitality, with other information coming from my own reading of CM. The explanation and commentary comes from my own notes taken from CM sources.

The Book of Centuries - This notebook implemented in CM's schools is different from what we consider a timeline book. Briefly, each century was a two page spread - the left page was reserved for illustrations which the child chose and were inspired by museum artifacts that the children would see. The right facing page was for detailing simple entries which pertained to the century. The best source for reading about the BOC is to go to Ms. Bernau's PNEU article: The Book of Centuries, and Ms. Beale's article: The Teaching of Chronology. The book is begun around 4th grade and is kept lifelong.

The Nature Notebook - it was very interesting to see examples of these from the archives. We saw teacher-student examples, so not students-of-the-PNEU examples. Interesting to see that sometimes these were neglected (not opened or added to) for up to a month at a time as one entry detailed that the student was returning to it after being away for a month. Entries are entirely up to the student as are illustrations - these are not directed, governed or corrected by the teacher. Entries are written more in a literary way, and not a listing of facts. A wonderful example showed a simple illustration of the constellations of the night sky for the date. I thought that was very exciting as a way to include the heavens in the nature notebook. Interesting that the examples shown were not profusely illustrated, they were more sparsely illustrated....so not necessarily as illustrated as Edith Holden's nature journals. Also interesting is that in the Ambleside (England) archives, it is found that in the back of the student's Nature Notebook is a compilation/index of all the flora and fauna recorded and seen for the year. This is a lifelong notebook.

The Commonplace Book - This (in my mind) is simply an extension of the Copybook (see next entry), only rather than the teacher choosing selections for the student to copy, all selections are chosen by the child. In my reading, I see that the upper forms no longer keep Copybooks, but rather keep Commonplace books, so these Commonplace books are begun in what we would consider high school forms but continued through life. You can find examples of Commonplace books from Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and others. Selections are chosen by the child and they are literary quotes that are beautiful and particularly inspiring. This is a lifelong notebook.

Copybook - Many of us have our children do copywork, and it seems Miss Mason kept her students' copywork in a special notebook. This is simply copywork selections chosen by the teacher, executed with best effort by the student and collected in one notebook. The goal of this notebook is penmanship - best effort execution. Once a child's penmanship is well in hand, they choose the selections they copy.
    There were probably many themed copybooks in a CM school
Calendar of Firsts - A book of firsts was kept by the students and it was simply a recording of the firsts --> first daffodil in the spring, first Purple Martin, first frost, etc. . This allowed them to get to know when their *friends* would return each year with regularity. I loved this idea and thought how this could become a family treasure. Each child need not keep one, but it lends itself well to the idea of a family book. We discussed this a good bit on p. 1 of this thread.

Home Education, CM, p. 54 wrote:
It is a capital plan for children to keep a calendar - the first oak leaf, the first tadpole, the first cowslip, the first catkin, the first ripe blackberries, where seen and when. The next year thay will know when and where to look out for their favorites, and will, every year, be in a condition to add new observations. Think of the zest and interest, the object, which such a practice will give to daily walks and little excursions. There is hardly a day when some friend may not be expected to hold a first 'At Home'.

**************** The remaining notebooks may not be as familiar to you ****************

Scrapbooks/Collections - pretty self-explanatory. This is just a collection of clippings and tokens the child chooses to save.

Bible Notebook - is a collection of favorite passages from the Bible.

Music Notebook - Students choose selections from music - hymns, songs, chant - that are inspiring or that they want to remember. An example was shown how in an end of term exam, a student was asked to write 5 lines of musical notation from a hymn of their choice, and paper with musical staff lines was provided. How wonderful would it be to see Pange Lingua, Tantum Ergo, and others penned beautifully with musical notation in a child's music notebook?

Poetry Notebook - The child chooses 1 - 2 LINES ONLY that are favorite verses and pens them into a poetry notebook. Entire poems were not copied here, though I imagine they could be if that was a child's desire. Great emphasis was placed on only penning 1 -2 lines so that the child was not burdened with the copying, but rather could delight in the short transcription of the favorite lines. This was to be a delight.

Student Motto/Year book - These were to be selections that were included and might inspire the day - so virtue selections, inspiring or lofty thoughts to live up to the for day, a motto or noble idea for the day (like patriotism). Again, these are the child's choice.

Fortitude Book - These are again chosen by the student, and is usually a quote related to a virtue the student may be working on or incidents that demonstrate that virtue. Includes natural and supernatural virtues.

Time charts or Century Charts - different from the BOC, these are papers that contain 100 squares - 10 squares by 10 squares. (This is described in detail in Phil of Ed, vol 6, I believe). Each paper of 100 squares represents one century. Symbols (which seem have been chosen and used in a sort of systematic way) were used in the squares -- so a crown if a new king or queen rose to the crown that year, a symbol for a war, a symbol for a battle, etc. A great example of an actual child's Century Chart can be seen here.

"Enquire Within" - once again, this is a child's own collection. A book entitled Enquire Within was very popular in Victorian times and was printed and published from 1856 through 1976. Here's a link to an "Enquire Within" book that you can look inside. This is really like a homemaking notebook with recipes and instructions for various things collected. It had lists of parlor games and etiquette, too.

Some of these notebooks, at first glance, seem excessive maybe. There are so many? Are they all necessary? I don't think so. But after I thought about it, I realized that really, we have many of these as natural extensions of our meat-and-potatoes notebooks: the Copywork book, Commonplace book, BOC, and Nature Notebook. Once a child is in the habit of recording noteworthy events and moments, thoughts and happenings, they just naturally want to continue. Why all the notebooks? Perhaps Miss Mason can explain her reasons best:

Charlotte Mason in Towards a Philosophy of Education wrote:
One thing at any rate we know with certainty, that no teaching, no information becomes knowledge to any of us until the individual mind has acted upon it, translated it, transformed, absorbed it, to reappear, like our bodily food, in forms of vitality.

How the notebook looks, whether you choose to use Notebooking Pages or a blank book, Prismacolor pencils or Crayola brand matters NOT! These are all individual tools and while we could certainly point out the usefulness of individual tools, the goal is simply to give the child tools so that they can make note of delights, and make them a part of himself. The goal of notebooking is simply to give the child a place to put it down, to turn the things which they have read about, enjoyed, turned over in their mind and absorbed, into a "form of vitality".

I'm pretty sure there are even more notebooks than the ones I've listed here. I think it could be considered an extension of the simple narration: RE-presenting the information observed, read, studied so that it becomes one's own.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mackfam wrote:
How the notebook looks, whether you choose to use Notebooking Pages or a blank book, Prismacolor pencils or Crayola brand matters NOT! These are all individual tools and while we could certainly point out the usefulness of individual tools, the goal is simply to give the child tools so that they can make note of delights, and make them a part of himself.

Quick clarification - I definitely did NOT want to discourage discussing these tools!!! Please don't stop doing that because I too really enjoy hearing the different experiences and tools y'all like using! Really helps me with the practical part of this!

I just didn't want anyone to think that in order to notebook the "CM way" one must use "x, y, and z". CM would not have wanted that at all!

Ok....back to Lindsay's question of what notebooks Jenny uses.   

Lori B
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Lori B

We use spiral-bound notebooks for all of our work (some with blank pages, some lined, depending on the subject). If someone feels they've 'ruined' their page, it can cleanly be torn out and a new page started.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Another idea for loose pages in a bound book. When I was in college we had a composition book for a class on Children's literature. And sometimes I would work on other paper and then to add it into the book I would turn the pages sideways (top to spine) and staple at the top and bottom of the book's page. The excess paper was then folded to fit inside the composition book. You end up with a slightly "stuffed" look to the composition book but I tended to be happy with the way the pages looked rather.. the plus side being you could either go with a lined composition book and staple in pictures on unlined paper or you could go with an unlined composition book and staple in written pages on lined paper if you were writing something longer.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version