Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: I'm having trouble reading aloud Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Oh Jenn, I have the same problem with my voice! I have year-round allergies and constantly have post-nasal drip, which makes my voice sound scratchy at best, and wears it out fast when i read a lot out loud. There are many times the kids want me to read more but my voice just can't.

Dh used to read aloud to the kids but he reads in a very monotone, non-expressive voice. It was OK for younger books but now they are old enough to notice it, and they usually try to get around reading with him so it's mostly up to me.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I have just been thinking along the same lines...

So many books, so little time
So many good ones... outstanding ones.... fun ones.... series....
where does it end?

I also have the allergy/voice problem at certain times of the year.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Karen T wrote:
Jen, I do agree with what you are saying. The richness of the vocabulary and sentence structure is often far superior to today's writing, and I know it is a great benefit to them. I guess I've been forcing myself to read further, thinking that b/c these are good books we should want to go faster and read more, but now i see that reading shorter amounts, slower, is not only OK, but perhaps more desirable!

Karen

This reminds me of what I'm mulling right now...a bit off subject, but not exactly. There are so many good books out there. While CM method calls for many books, there still will be many that we might not read. And if we're slowing down to make QUALITY reading, then that means QUANTITY might be less.

I know it might seem that way, but in fact, there is still an enormous and generous feast of books enjoyed and digested...but it is over.the.long.haul.

JennGM wrote:
Is that our aim and goal, to have perhaps fewer books read well and retained then a gluttonous diet of books not digested properly?

Yes...sort of. I'd say the goal is to present a generous feast of living ideas to a child, full of variety, and not allow a gluttonous consumption, but rather a savoring of ideas presented by an author passionate about his/her subject so that there is time for a thought or an idea to become a child's -- it is in the savoring that a relationship develops!!

After a period of gluttony, the person (whether the mind or the stomach) revolts. It is over-full, unable to enjoy anything except for the memory of the introduction to the feast which inspired a desire to go further up and further in. Having done so hastily though, so much was missed along the way - whether nutrients or ideas. There is lack of nourishment.

JennGM wrote:
And Sonya from Simply Charlotte Mason was saying that even though there might 16 books used during a term, finishing them isn't always the goal.

Exactly! It's really in the layering and scheduling of books that CM's methods begin to sing to me. If I show you my 10th grader's booklist your head might spin ( )...but many of those books were begun last year, and will continue to be savored throughout her high school experience. The books aren't finished in 2 weeks in a gluttonous consumption so that she can spit out a few main ideas on a required essay - they are savored over years sometimes so that she has time to develop relationships with those thoughts. And as a teen, I see how this becomes even more important!!! They question EVERYTHING! Having the time to be encounter an idea, turn it over in your mind, consider a response, argue it, debate it, wonder about it, is a great benefit for the young person honing their own sense of self.

JennGM wrote:
Sorry, random thoughts. I'm not consistent with my read-alouds. I have difficulty reading aloud because my allergies make me lose my voice very quickly.

Not really random thoughts at all, Jenn! And, I definitely make use of audio books by wonderful narrators...perhaps there is some rescue for you there?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

And...just adding that this applies to the books we read for our lessons ONLY. I do not regulate the speed with which my children enjoy their free/pleasure reading.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm not expressing exactly what I mean, but I think you understand, Jen. Overall, there will be a feast and a great many books read, but over time.

I'm just realizing that even if at this stage, Grade 3, there are so many suggestions of appropriate and classical and wonderful literature, that it's better to pick a few, and read them well, then to overload at times.

I'm trying to say there will be times I'll have to miss a book that would be great. There will be those kind of gaps. We can't ever read every book. I have to learn that detachment.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
And...just adding that this applies to the books we read for our lessons ONLY. I do not regulate the speed with which my children enjoy their free/pleasure reading.

Great speed here for that pleasure reading. My problem is pulling the plug so he can get some sleep or take the book away so he can get his duties done!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
I'm not expressing exactly what I mean, but I think you understand, Jen. Overall, there will be a feast and a great many books read, but over time.

I'm just realizing that even if at this stage, Grade 3, there are so many suggestions of appropriate and classical and wonderful literature, that it's better to pick a few, and read them well, then to overload at times.

I'm trying to say there will be times I'll have to miss a book that would be great. There will be those kind of gaps. We can't ever read every book. I have to learn that detachment.

Oh yes, you're so right there!! Sorry I misunderstood.

Yep - can't read everything. I have trouble with that one, too!! Sometimes I fore-go a book one year and pick it up another year with a fresh rotation of history. I can't tell you how many times this has consoled me!!! Because typically, living books fit across such an expanse of ages - one could comfortably read a book in 3rd grade, but because it is living it can still be read with great benefit by the 5th, 6th or 7th grader. Whew! That buys me some time to revisit it! But, there are going to be wonderful books left behind as we discern and consider reading for the year. It's a tragic thought...until you learn that your older child's reading palette has become so sophisticated that they naturally gravitate toward *those very books* for their free/pleasure reading. Another whew!!!!!

Part of the underlying philosophy of CM that acts in such a foundational way is that when her methods are applied as part of a balanced whole it fosters in a child a love of learning. And that doesn't have a time limit. Which means that I can think of those books as *not-now* books rather than *not-ever* books.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

sip a hot drink.. preferably something with lemon for your throat.. tea with lemon and honey or just a hot lemonade (made with at least some honey) will soothe and clear a throat from the allergies. And you have to slow down because you can't read and sip at the same time

And yes reading/hearing those older books will show in your children's writing and vocabulary. I read voraciously, including the older styles of writing from a fairly young age. And was actually accused of plagerism (though the teacher couldn't tell me of what) because a child my age (14) doesn't have that sort of vocabulary. what vocabulary.. phrases such as "a cloak of deception".

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
there will be times I'll have to miss a book that would be great. There will be those kind of gaps. We can't ever read every book. I have to learn that detachment.

Yes! I think that my temperament (sanguine) makes it a little easier for me to find that detachment than a melancholic (like you, I think) might, but it also means I have a lot of zeal to curb, lol.

I found it helpful when laying out my plans this year to use Ambleside's weekly lesson plans as a spine. I felt that the experience of those ladies meant that the amount covered was "doable." Then, where I wanted to substitute books, I went through the word document with "find and replace" for the titles I wanted to use. I imagine that down the road, I will have a better feel for what a reasonable amount of material looks like, but I found this a good way to set limits for myself.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JodieLyn wrote:
sip a hot drink.. preferably something with lemon for your throat.. tea with lemon and honey or just a hot lemonade (made with at least some honey) will soothe and clear a throat from the allergies. And you have to slow down because you can't read and sip at the same time

And yes reading/hearing those older books will show in your children's writing and vocabulary. I read voraciously, including the older styles of writing from a fairly young age. And was actually accused of plagerism (though the teacher couldn't tell me of what) because a child my age (14) doesn't have that sort of vocabulary. what vocabulary.. phrases such as "a cloak of deception".

Yes, usually a hot cup of tea nearby when I read!

I think its fun to hear and read it in their writing. I've had my girls catch people of guard sometimes. Then I get a look, did they really just say that and use it correctly . Yep!

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Speaking of *missing out* on books, I have found that it helps when we have only a few books as part of our formal learning to make a habit of keeping a bookshelf full of the other good books that I could have used that year.   

My children know that they are free to browse and read those books for pleasure and I know that they at least know of the existence of the books even if they will not be reading them right now. It's really helped me compromise between 'there's soooo many good books we could study' and the benefits of studying a few books in depth ( it's embarrassing how long it's taken me to see the personal benefits to taking my time over my own study reading ).
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 07 2011 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That is such a great idea! I was thinking about something similar, so I'm glad you shared a tried and true habit!

Thanks!

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2011 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

Oh and one way we've had more read-alouds has been encouraging older children to read to their siblings. :-)

In our it started with my oldest wanting to share the Wizard of OZ to her younger sisters ( and delay lights off) but they also have regular reading aloud sessions as it's a valuable life skill (sessions where I coach the children in any problem areas - such as appropriate reading speeds or polite listening behaviour- as well noting when they do something very well).

It's been enjoyable listening to them become more skilled and watching them share their favorite books with each other. It also means that my two oldest are capable of taking over 'couch time' if necessary.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version