Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Arlington National Cemetery book Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 17 2011 at 3:07am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The story this week of the last American World War I veteran being laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery was fascinating. His name was Frank Buckles and he was 110 years old when he died February 27. He had lied about his age at 16 to join the army It was interesting reading about him, knowing he was the very last American who served in WWI to be buried. Amazing. It made me think of all the other stories that fill Arlington Cemetery.

A few weeks ago we found this book just published last fall.

Arlington: The Story of Our Nation's Cemetery (Chris Demarest)

It tells the story of Arlington National Cemetery, from the time it was open land inherited by George Washington Parke Custiss, step grandson of Geroge Washington to becoming the final resting place of tens of thousands of military men and women and prominent Americans. It is really well done and I found it fascinating reading. The illustrations are also beautiful, very captivating. Truly a worthy addition to Memorial Day or Veteran's Day reading and study. Highly recommended.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 17 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh my! Thank you for suggesting these, Mary - both the article and the book will be fascinating and I can't wait to look at them!

We have become very attached to Arlington National Cemetery - 4 of the kid's great-grandparents were laid to rest there. Both Rob's grandfathers were 2 star generals that served during WWII. Amazing history and service in that family, it's just fascinating for me! The Arlington ceremonies were absolutely MOVING! Just heart stirring to see the caisson and the riderless horse with boots facing backwards (symbolizing that the rider will not ride again) in the stirrups. Such poignant symbolism and respect in the ceremony.

Just to add to the resources on this thread, Arlington National Cemetery has some really interesting historical information at their site.

I really can't wait to check out that picture book! Thanks!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wow - what a personal connection your family has to the cemetery. I am sure you will enjoy this book.

Mackfam wrote:
The Arlington ceremonies were absolutely MOVING! Just heart stirring to see the caisson and the riderless horse with boots facing backwards (symbolizing that the rider will not ride again) in the stirrups.

There is a picture of this in the book, with the explanation...chokes you up.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 30 2011 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping for today - great Memorial Day book.

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version