Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Lent and Easter Chapter Books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 05 2011 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I know we have discussed Lent and Easter picture books. I couldn't find a thread that discussed books for older readers.

--It’s Time for Easter by Elizabeth Sechrist and Janette Woolsey

--Lilies, Rabbits, and Painted Eggs: The Story of the Easter Symbols by Edna Barth

These two discuss various Easter customs around the world. The first has more religious items, the second includes more secular.

It's Time for Easter also has a wonderful section on the Christian symbols of Easter.

--The Easter Book of Legends and Stories by Alice Isabel Hazeltine and Elva Sophronia Smith

This is a recent find for me -- and it's FABULOUS! I am impatient to read it, but I'll wait until my son is a bit older, as I have my plan finally whittled out. There are poems, excerpts from books, legends.... Although not marked as a Catholic book, this is really full of Catholic selections.

What really has me excited is that there are excerpts from books by Kate Seredy, Marguerite d'Angeli, Marguerite Clement, and Valenti Angelo which give glimpses of different (Catholic) Easter traditions in various cultures -- Italy, Hungary, France, etc. Just wonderful...but also inspiring me to find these books to read the whole thing. I'd love to find more books and authors that cover similar things, even if it's just a chapter (like this book highlights).

--The Easter Book by Francis X. Weiser. This is such a wonderful and interesting book on all the Catholic customs regarding Lent and Easter.

--My Russian Yesterday by Catherine De Hueck Doherty. She remembers her girlhood in Russia, and her descriptions of Easter and Christmas traditions are wonderfully detailed and come-to-life.

I think all these titles are out-of-print, and most would be for older children (I'm thinking 4th, 5th grade?) except for The Easter Book of Legends and Stories which has potential for copywork, read-alouds for the whole family.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2011 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jenn

I have three books in my collection for older teens;
The Spear- Louis de Wohl
The Robe - Llyod Douglas
The Silver Chalice - Thomas Costain
and for a family read aloud interesting to all ages (and originally recommended here) is Encounter Christ through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy - Alberta Hawse

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 07 2011 at 1:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Pancakes-Paris by Claire Huchet Bishop

I posted a review of this one as a suggestion for Mardi Gras. Its not exactly a chapter book because it doesn't have chapters, but it's much longer than a picture book and doesn't have a ton of illustrations - I'd say its a simple chapter book.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2011 at 1:23am | IP Logged Quote Erin

For the 9-12yr olds I'm thinking of buying My Path to Heaven - Geoffrey Bliss.
For an independent 11yr+ (perhaps)an OOP title, The Donkey Who always Complained - Francis Beauchesne Thornton
And I think Helena - Louis de Wohl would be appropriate for teens.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2011 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Pancakes-Paris by Claire Huchet Bishop

I posted a review of this one as a suggestion for Mardi Gras. It's not exactly a chapter book because it doesn't have chapters, but it's much longer than a picture book and doesn't have a ton of illustrations - I'd say its a simple chapter book.

I just read about this book elsewhere and was wondering if it was worth tracking down. I love this kind of story! Thanks, Mary!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
Jenn

I have three books in my collection for older teens;
The Spear- Louis de Wohl
The Robe - Llyod Douglas
The Silver Chalice - Thomas Costain

Love those suggestions...those will be wonderful.

Erin wrote:
and for a family read aloud interesting to all ages (and originally recommended here) is Encounter Christ through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy - Alberta Hawse

I haven't heard of this one...please post a review when you have a chance.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2011 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Erin wrote:
For the 9-12yr olds I'm thinking of buying My Path to Heaven - Geoffrey Bliss.
For an independent 11yr+ (perhaps)an OOP title, The Donkey Who always Complained - Francis Beauchesne Thornton
And I think Helena - Louis de Wohl would be appropriate for teens.

I haven't seen the donkey one...I think I have a OOP that take the story in the donkey's eyes or working with a donkey.

Louis de Wohl's Vision book is a great idea!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
--The Easter Book by Francis X. Weiser. This is such a wonderful and interesting book on all the Catholic customs regarding Lent and Easter.

Jenn

Do you know of any link where we can download this book from?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 17 2011 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
--The Easter Book of Legends and Stories by Alice Isabel Hazeltine and Elva Sophronia Smith

This is a recent find for me -- and it's FABULOUS! I am impatient to read it, but I'll wait until my son is a bit older,

Jenn,
Thank you for mentioning this book - I'm so grateful! It was easy to find and is a lovely addition to our reading basket. I just finished reading The Maid of Emmaus by Agnes Sligh Turnbull. Wonderful!! And Daffodils Out of the Dark by Carol Ryrie Brink is such a lovely, touching story with a portrayal of Catholic culture that is present in all the supporting moments of the story, some in such significant ways.

You're right, there are so many wonderful authors and such rich stories. I love the pen/ink illustrations - they remind me of the ones in Around the Year With the Trapp Family. The poetry alone in this compilation makes it worthwhile for me (but I do love beautiful poetry!) - what a lovely selection of Easter poetry.

Just wanted to say thank you!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm so glad, Jen!!! The book is making me want to go on an book and author rabbit trail!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 17 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We have Michael Hague's Family Easter Treasury and have used it A LOT over the past couple of years. Great stories (such as The Selfish Giant and The Maid of Emmaus!) poems and the gospels.

It's illustrated and good for read alouds for youngers, but this year, the older girls will be reading stories from it on their own.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Suzanne, I just bought his A Child's Book of Prayers in our used library section, hc for $1.00. We love his illustrations, very gentle and at least in this book they're all of children .

Just ordered a used copy of this, thanks.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

SuzanneG wrote:
We have Michael Hague's Family Easter Treasury and have used it A LOT over the past couple of years. Great stories (such as The Selfish Giant and The Maid of Emmaus!) poems and the gospels.

It's illustrated and good for read alouds for youngers, but this year, the older girls will be reading stories from it on their own.

Just got our copy this week, what a beautiful book. I love books with tassle bookmarks. We're going to use it during our weekly teas for the rest of Lent .

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 26 2011 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

Thank you for these great book ideas I will use them!
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Has anyone found any new treasure for this year?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 09 2012 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Funny thing - I'm waiting on a book from the library that might fit the bill. Having recently delved into Pauli Hertha's works found this one to check out - Handel and the Messiah Story

Though we hear it most at Christmas, Handel's Messiah was intended as a thought provoking work for Easter and Lent.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

When are you doing all of this Easter reading... starting during Lent or saving it to read during the Easter season?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2012 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary
How fascinating, I never knew that.

Melinda
We definitely read Vinegar Boy during Lent.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2012 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I thought this looked promising:

The Emerald Story Book: Stories of Spring, Nature and Easter (link to Kindle version...only $2.49)

The formatting is weird on the Kindle version, but for $2.49 it includes stories and poems by Alfred Noyes, Hans Christian Anderson, Mrs. Alfred Gatty, Kate Douglas Wiggin, Helen Keller, Robert Browning, Eugene Field, Oscar Wilde, William Canton, George McDonald, Henry Beecher Stowe, James Russell Lowell, Henry Van Dyke, James Baldwin, and more. It appears to be a collection of seasonal stories, myths, and poems that celebrate Spring in general and not so much Easter in particular. It may have a Protestant flair, but I got it on Kindle and will look it over. I figured for the price, I couldn't lose...at least I'll have The Selfish Giant and a few great spring poems, right?

ETA: Oh, and Melinda, we read Easter/Spring tales over the Easter season.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I spent some time looking over theKindle edition of The Emerald Story Book. There are some wonderful stories in it! Unfortunately, one section is pretty garbled, but that doesn't seem to extend through the whole text. The quality of the Kindle edition is such that I would probably use it for re-aloud but not have the children themselves read it directly due to formatting, scanning issues. Still, it's a very enjoyable anthology and I found an old 1921 edition which I bought to use in our reading time.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version