Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Timeline Choices Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I'm thinking about a notebook/binder timeline since wall space is limited. Ideally I'd like the kids to be able to write a few facts for whatever we've studied within that given time period as well as add some photos.

I read many past threads on timelines last year but never did implement anything. I think I now know better what I'd like so I'm hoping someone can send some suggestions/help me focus instead of letting my mind wonder for hours thru old threads.   

Any good, easy to implement resources? Preprinted pages? Prepacked sets? Honestly I'd rather spend some $$ to get something ready-to-implement now than keep spending time trying to make my own thing.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We have and highly recommend this timeline notebook from Homeschool in the Woods. It's sort of a right-of-passage for my 4th graders; once they reach the 4th grade, they receive their own book and that is something that is really exciting to them!!

I like:
Nice quality, cardstock pages. (they take glue well and don't crinkle)
Cream color cardstock - easy on the eyes
Lined pages (for newer writers)
Page orientation
Notebook format - pages can be removed if that is easier for working on a particular page.
Very pretty, nice quality cover for the book

Overall, the quality on this book has been worth the price for us since this is a book that follows my students from 4th - 12th grade. The notebook that belongs to my student that will be going into 10th grade next year is still in fantastic shape! I see that there is also now an option to purchase just the pdf and print the pages yourself.

We also have some timelines we've made on our own. I just used a big clip and clipped them to the back cover of our timeline book so that they all live in one place.

There are certainly other ways to go about building/acquiring a book-of-centuries. You certainly can build this from your own resources, but you do have to consider the purchase of your own cardstock, your printer ink, your time, and the notebook...after I thought about all of that, I just went with the lovely book from Homeschool in the Woods and have been very pleased.
Good luck with your decision, Kathryn.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

I have a post at my blog about my daughter's Book of Centuries I was thinking of doing another post soon showing some of the pages she's made. She's very excited about adding to it over the years.   It's working out very well for us, and I'm thinking in the next year or two I'll have my twins start one as well. Right now they have their own timeline that I made on a large display board. I think for younger children, having a timeline they can see all at once makes more sense.   

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Thank you both. I will check out those links. Yes, Emily, please post your daughter's pages. I've wanted to do this for over a year...almost since we started homeschooling and I've yet to find the "perfect" choice and I keep looking and looking and it's time I just DO something. Also, the link on your blog had a link to another thread in here with a lot of sources.

I will decide,
I will decide,
I will decide,
before the end of time!

EmilyC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 22 2011 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote EmilyC

Kathryn, I've just now put up a post at my blog with pictures of our timelines. I hope it's helpful to you!

Timelines and Book of Centuries

Sarah (13) Robbie & Riley (10) Regina (nearly 3)
My secular lit-based curriculum:
Build Your Library curriculum
Back to Top View EmilyC's Profile Search for other posts by EmilyC Visit EmilyC's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kathryn wrote:

I will decide,
I will decide,
I will decide,
before the end of time!

- that is very funny!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version