Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie list 2011 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We all watched the French film The Chorus the other night.

I saw it several years ago and loved it!

It was the first time my girls have watched a subtitled film, I think. They really really liked it! There were a couple parts that they didn't like where the boys were being punished, but it led to good discussion this morning. My oldest who was more sensitive when she was younger would not have been able to watch it when she was the age of my youngers---->would have been too sad. But, the 5, 7.5 and 9 yo really enjoyed it and we've been talking about it ever since.

I thought it was a neat movie to watch after an intense week of choir camp!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2011 at 1:18am | IP Logged Quote Alison

Saw Of Gods and Men for the second time this weekend when i took a friend to see it!(and I could watch it again) An absolutely unforgettable movie. A brief synopsis:Under threat by fundamentalist terrorists, a group of Trappist monks stationed with an impoverished Algerian community must decide whether to leave or stay.
The movie is in French but subtitled. There are so many wonderful quotes in it I wanted to write down but somehow always forget to bring pen and paper to the movies!
It is a movie for older teens plus as if you are familiar with the story, the monks are martyred. Again nothing is shown and everything is filmed very sensitively. Here is a link to the trailorOf God and Men and
tomore about the situation which I have to confess I knew nothing about until I saw the movie. http://www.thetablet.co.uk/article/6824

blessings
Alison
Homeschoolingdownunder

Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

macmom11
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 27 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote macmom11

I recently watched "Gifted Hands" about Dr. Ben Carson. Great movie! Really makes you think about the positive influence a mother can be on her child.

Enjoy, Kathy
Back to Top View macmom11's Profile Search for other posts by macmom11

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

This thread has been so quiet for a long time but I was just thinking about it today and planning to post!

The other night we watched Soul Surfer, about the teen surfer who lost her arm to a shark. It was a wonderful movie! No bad language, nice Christian family showing them praying and in church (albeit outdoors, wearing a swimsuit under a cover-up!). And the girl and her friend were homeschooled.

The only drawback (besides the brief, pretty tasteful shark attack itself) was the bikinis everywhere. However, compared to most films, they really don't focus on the girls' bodies or anything.

Last night I watched One Night with the King about the story of Queen Esther. It was pretty good, although I think they embellished the story a bit; I need to re-read it to refresh my mind with the details.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version