Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Planning, New Years Goals and iphones Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Hello, and Merry Christmas to all!

I am starting my planning for the New Year, making Goals and arranging this and that -

I have a new iphone and was wondering if anyone uses their iphones for planning, tracking or otherwise organizing their lives?
I have never really been into the tech gadgets, but this iphone is the best thing I ever owned!
I get the Magnificat app now instead of the paper copy, Father Z's blog and most of all, I take pictures!

So, I was wondering if there are any other i-apps you use I may have not discovered yet.

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Um, well,I like the iPeriod app And I don't remember how I ever lived and was on time to things without having Google Calendar firmly attached to my hip.    

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't use an iphone but I'll have to agree with Lisa that google calender (or really any calendar) is WONDERFUL to use. It sends you reminders of events so you can stop worrying about remembering things in time to get there. I know I used to need to remind myself ALL DAY LONG when it was the day for moving the trash to the curb.. now I get a reminder on my phone and I just don't have to worry about it at all. I can get reminders an hour or even 2 hours ahead if needed.. things near a meal I like to have a reminder sooner so I can make sure we eat before getting ready to go for instance.. sure is nicer than going to start lunch and realizing we have a half hour to eat and get ready to leave the house

And dinner time is so much easier to get started with that reminder.. otherwise it just usually feels too early to start dinner and since I was needing an earlier dinner time than we'd had.. that reminder is making my life so much easier in the evenings.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Besides Google Calendar, I also use

Toodledo for my to-do lists,

shopshop for grocery lists

i have more but don't have it with me... i'll post again if i think of anymore

and of course, not organization apps, but lovelovelove iBreviary, iPieta, and other Catholic apps. (just look for "Catholic" and there's a bunch)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

I just learned about Cozi today. It looks great so far. It is a free online organizer with calendar, to do list, grocery lists. You color code different family members schedules and if you download the app, you can access the calendar and grocery list from your phone (as far as I can tell most smart phones have a downloadable app for it...) You can also set it to send reminder texts to anyone in the family's phone.

If you do fly lady and sign up through there, they are creating downloadable cleaning Zone lists too.

I am hoping to really be able to use this one, as I got too confused by the other online calendars to be able to make it work....
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

I use the free Kindle App all the time. I downloaded a free Oxford dictionary and the kids think they're playing when they're looking up their vocabulary words on my iphone.

I've also downloaded the free Compline App from Divine Office and plan on getting the complete version, possibly when it goes on sale again.

Jenn
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 28 2010 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

The calendar on the iphone is definately my second brain! And it works better than my first one!

I appreciate a good notepad app.

And a dictionary for schooling.

In regards to Catholic apps, ipieta is IMO the very best and inexpensive, all my daily prayers are bookmarked in it. There is alot of Catholic reading material on that app and of course, a bible.

I also use the universalis app (expensive but worth it ~$20 something) from there I have my daily Mass readings and it has the Divine Office.

If you belong to a Gregorian Chant choir, the Liber Pro is a wonderful Catholic app, it is the full 2000+ pages of the Liber Usualis.

Thanks girls for sharing your favs, I'll check them out.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Thank you all.
How about any apps that help with homemaking
Household notebook style maybe?

My Blog

St.Padre Pio

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 5:07am | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Apps for the iPhone I mean

My Blog

St.Padre Pio

jillian
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote jillian

I use my iphone to track my appointments and important things/times throughout the week. Like I know that I won't miss dd's preschool days but I make sure I put it in there because sometimes when I am making other appointments I will schedule too close to the time.

As for apps for the phone, I've found a couple of good productivity apps, free versions at least though they have more "pay" apps. One I am using and getting used to is Paperless (they have a full version and a 'lite' version for free). It's taking a bit of time to get used to it plus my checklists are in a bit of disarray lol (that's what I use it for checklists) since dh has been home from work. Just go exploring on the app store though, you are bound to find something you are wanting to try or get. good luck
Back to Top View jillian's Profile Search for other posts by jillian

NMMountainMom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote NMMountainMom

Not an iPhone app, but I use Cozi too (someone mentioned it above). I use the routine feature to schedule all of the homeschool books and materials the kids are using. I have my 13 year old do a journal entry each evening recording his narrations and whatever else he did for homeschooling.
Back to Top View NMMountainMom's Profile Search for other posts by NMMountainMom

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 21 2011 at 8:36pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

I schedule all of my homemaking tasks in an app called 2Do. It was expensive (for me) at $6.99, but DH bought it for his business, so it was expensed and I get to use it on my phone, too. I have daily, weekly and quarterly routines set to repeat. Very handy to see what I am supposed to be doing.

I have my iPhone calendar synced to my Google in calendar for appointments. Also, my recipe software syncs my meal plans there via iCal.

DS age 12 uses iHomework on the iPad to manage all of his homeschool assignments.

I use Evernote for important pieces of information I need to have on hand, like what library books are due back or what I need to bring with me when I leave the house.

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

I just downloaded Evernote suggested in another thread, and it looks fantastic! I am playing around with it now.

So, here is an update of my app-quest.

What I have downloaded and my review:

1. Magnificat - I already used the print version, so this paperless version is a good fit for me. I use it everyday and am enjoying it.
2. Flashcards Delux - This flashcard app works with Quizlet, you sync your decks to it and bam! instantly available on your ipone. Love this, we use it to drill in a wide variety of subjects.
3. iCatholic Radio - I like this app, and generally listen to it in the mornings while getting ready. We live out in the sticks, so I don't have access to Catholic radio otherwise.
4. Rosary for Kids - Fun for the kids in the car. We use it and the kids like it.

5. Mobile Noter
6. ToodleDo
7. Home Routines
I have downloaded all three of these apps and have not really gotten it down with any one of them. I am using the alarm system and calendar function on the phone with success.

8. Catholic Wallpaper (waste of money - not very many options)
9. Contractions - we got this one when my friend was in labor, and it was useful and fun. I even emailed the record to her after the baby was born.
10. Mirror - works great, didn't crack when I put on lipstick. Could maybe use some soft focus
like the Sears photography studio has.
11. Compass - not too useful for me, but it entertained my friend.
12. iPieta - nice selection

13. BubbleWrap
14. Super Marble Roll
15. Tetris
     All three of these games are fun, work well, and make me the pied piper whenever I am out and about in a large company of homeschooled families and their lovely children.

16. Kindle - Didn't think I would like ereaders, but I do. It can't replace an actual book, but is still nice.

OK - there is my reviews!
Anyone else?

Hugs to all!
Trish

My Blog

St.Padre Pio

jennthmg
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote jennthmg

Thanks, Trish!!
Back to Top View jennthmg's Profile Search for other posts by jennthmg

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 22 2011 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Curious to hear what you think of that Evernote app, Trish!

I've had my iphone for 6 months now and have found it to be a very useful and helpful tool.

Apps I enjoy:

MAKING HOME
** ListPro Ultimate List Making Tool Kit - Love this app!   Very versatile since I can make this a shopping list, a to-do list, a wish list, a school list, a book list.

** Cooks Illustrated - great for when you might be...ahem....making a menu on the run! Not that I'd know anything about that!    Nice recipes and I like that you have the ability to make a shopping list from the recipes here. A number of the taste tests from CI are here.

** Amazon Mobile - helpful!

** Price Book - I literally *just* got this one and I have hopes that it will be useful! Its purpose is to create a digital price book for comparing prices in shopping.

MISCELLANEOUS
** ibird - LOVE this app! We have the free version, but I use it so much that I'm asking for a paid version for my birthday! GREAT field guide for birds on the phone!

NEWS & WEATHER
** Fox News - I like this app, but somehow my husband got his to text his phone any time there is a news alert and I wish I could make mine do that. Maybe I need to uninstall and install it again.

** The Weather Channel - Our local tv station has an AMAZING AND FANTASTIC weather app and we actually use that one primarily, but also use weather channels app when traveling! It's actually one of the reasons we got a smart phone. We live in an area where it's common to experience tornadoes. I got caught driving in one in between my folks and home. My dh was concerned that I couldn't get info when I needed it. Since then, we experienced almost the same scenario - driving on interstate, middle-o-nowhere, tornado on ground and moving in our direction. We were able to pinpoint its location on the radar (using the phone), and figure out that we would be south of it when it crossed the interstate.

CATHOLIC
** Catholic Calendar

** Universalis - I'm considering this app, but I don't have it yet.

GAMES - I am not a big game person, but my kids enjoy it so I keep a couple of games on the phone for them.
** Doodle Truck - this is a really cute game. My 6yo loves it. It's physics based with the goal to load your dump truck with watermelons and safely transport them over hills and rocks without losing the watermelons. FUN!

** ABC PocketPhonics - cute. Both my little people like this...they like tracing letters with their finger.

** Chess

** Pocket Tanks - my kids LOVE this app. There isn't anything graphic or super violent about this game...it's almost atari-esque.    It's just a point and shoot tank game with the goal of getting points by hitting the other tank. My kids like to make weird and gaping holes in the mountain with the "mountain mover" shot.

Love hearing the different apps you all find useful.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

hmbress
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote hmbress

I got my IPhone for Christmas and LOVE it!

Here are some apps I am enjoying - not all are homemaking related though:

ShopSavvy - scan in a barcode and compares prices for the item online and locally. Saves a TON of money in store. At Staples last week I saved $35 on a replacement cartridge for my labeler and printer cartridges, just by showing the screen to customer service! Same thing at Lowe's for light fixtures.

What's on my Food? - uses latest USDA reports to list number of pesticides, etc. found on individual food items. Helps me decide what's worth buying organic.

WeekCal - syncs to my laptop Outlook Calendar, nice for week and day at a glance

QuickCal Mobile - which I use primarily for Dragon

Dragon - dictation. I can dictate things I want to text or email, send myself notes and reminders - much faster! I can say "Friday 2pm Nathan gymnastics" or "meet with Nancy tomorrow at 4" and it will make it into a calendar entry that I can easily copy and paste into QuickCal, which then syncs with any other calendar on my phone.

IBreviary - free and has daily readings as well as Divine Office

AroundMe - great for when on the go or traveling - uses your geographical location to advise on all shopping, gas stations, restaurants, things to do etc. nearby. Like the POIs on a GPS, complete with maps.

MotionX GPS - Speaking of GPS, I can now use my IPhone as a GPS and it is ALWAYS completely up to date - no more buying map updates. There is a Lite version (free) but it does not include voice prompts.

Urbanspoon - great for finding a good restaurant nearby, sorted by category, price, and with reviews.

AppAdvice - very worth the cost ($2 I think?). App reviews, best of category lists, and my favorite - App Sales, which in addition to sales lists all the free apps available on a daily basis.

Cheap Gas - find the best gas prices locally, just like the website.

Educational:
Brain Quest - just like the cards but with games/quizzes as well! Worth the money.

Math Ninja - a fun game but the kids have to answer math problems every couple of minutes to progress. Brilliant! Customizable - set the kinds of problems you need for drill.

SeaMath - good for the younger set

Overdrive - for downloading audiobooks from the library

Spanish Touch Trainer - $2. Anyone tried any other good Spanish apps for kids? I need something that is beyond the super basics but also not boring (i.e. for adults).

Language Central for Science - Life Science, Physical Science, Earth Science. Flashcards to learn nomenclature with games to test knowledge.

Grammar Jammers - kind of like Schoolhouse Rock with songs and videos to teach, but with a short quiz at the end of each. The primary level is free, there are other levels for elementary and middle - not sure I'd pay for them though. Looks like there are lots of other grammar apps - anyone tried any good ones?

Games - these are great for motivation/rewards and now I can bring my kids to the grocery store with much less aggravation! I found many of these free on AppAdvice.
Bounce On - this is my 5yo's favorite
Cover Orange
Cat Physics
Geared 2
Labyrinth 2 (there is a lite version)
Angry Birds
Gubble
Flip It - a fun party game!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version