Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Miraculous Medal feast? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

On Saturday, my daughter Marion Jane was baptized.   

As we entered the Church for Mass, the Legion of Mary was passing out Miraculous Medals and said it was OLofMM's feast day. I have never heard of such a feast! Is it a real feast day... or is it "just" the day that Our Lady showed the Miraculous Medal to St. Catherine Laboure. Or was this a feast on the Old Calendar?.... I tried googling, but my postpartum mind couldn't figure this out!

I'm also interested because I asked my husband for a miraculous medal for Christmas months ago -- and am curious that she keeps "popping up."

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

It's a real feast --I have it listed in the planner this year in fact.

It's listed in my St. Andrew Daily Missal as a "Local feast kept in some places and religious congregations"

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Maryan wrote:
On Saturday, my daughter Marion Jane was baptized.   

Congrats!!!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wow! Your Marion has a Marian feast day for her baptismal date. When you mention the MM coming up in your life in many ways recently, I think that is so cool. Like Michele said it is a feast day, just not a universal feast day. There is a Marian feast day almost every day of the year in some location around the world - local or personal. This Marian Links web site is one I've looked at to see all the days that are remembered somewhere for Our Lady. They specifically say at the site: With a few exceptions for major events such as The Annunciation, the Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and other churches leave it up to the individual's own discernment and judgment whether to celebrate a particular Marian feast ...

In the future if you want to celebrate Marion's baptismal date in a big way you can focus on the MM.

Quote:

Unit Study on St. Catherine Laboure and the Miraculous Medal

Picture to print and color

Miraculous Medal article from Catholic Culture and another from Domestic Church

OL of Miraculous Medal Coloring Story Book

The Miraculous Medal by Mary Fabyan Windeatt

Association of the Miraculous Medal

Anne's BEAUTIFUL Miraculous Medal mobile.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh congratulations! You'll find as your child grows you'll learn more and more about this feast.

I had put up a nice Image of the Miraculous Medal which could be colored or cut out.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Special feast days for baptisms mean so much to me, I am so glad to hear that your little Marion was baptised on such a beautiful Marian feast day!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanks ladies!! Michele, I can't believe I didn't know this was a "real" feast -- I totally thought the ladies were making it up. But I guess I've never been at a Mass that could or opted to celebrate it. Even on Saturday, the priest didn't mention anything at all!

Thanks for all the links.

My grandmother (Marion) always wore a miraculous medal (silver with blue enamel), so that was my impetus for asking for one for Christmas since I would have my own Marion -- I thought it would be fitting to be truly Marian.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version