Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Classic Christmas Anthologies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, so I hope I got this at least close ! I wanted to recommend two out-of-print Christmas story anthologies for slightly older children and teens.

The first is Christmastide: A Catholic Treasury for Young and Old, which is available at Amazon for a low as $2.89. This anthology includes the Gospel accounts, the Nativity account from the Golden Legend, The Other Wise Man (Van Dyke), The Fir Tree and the Little Match Girl (H.C. Andersen), A Christmas Carol (Dickens),Holy Morning (Elizabeth Madox Roberts), and many other short Christmas stories. It also has poetry from Shakespeare, Southwell, Tennyson, and others. It's a very nice buy and perfect if you are traveling and can only take one Christmas book. No illustrations.

The second anthology is The World's Greatest Christmas Stories. It is a little more expensive, running about $13.00 or so on Amazon. One very nice feature of this collection is that the stories are listed by country of origin. If you are studying Christmas customs in Europe, Russia, or Canada, this collection of short stories would fit right in. Included in the collection of 39 stories are The Gift of the Magi (O. Henry, USA), The Last Dream of the Old Oak-Tree (Andersen, Denmark), A Christmas Story (Guy de Maupassant, France), Christmas at the Buddenbrooks' (Nobel Prize, 1929, Thomas Mann, Germany), The Legend of the Christmas Rose (Nobel Prize, 1909, Sweden) and Where Love is, There God is Also (Tolstoy, Russia). In this book, there are also 23 Christmas carols with all verses in the original languages and an English translation, and the treble piano score, one for each country. This collection is not specifically Catholic, but many of the stories are from Catholic countries and touch on traditional Catholic Christmas traditions. A very few pen and ink drawings illustrate some of the stories.

These are both literary collections that are perfect for reading aloud and that contain many uplifting and inspirational short stories.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh, thanks. these sound great - especially intrigued by the first one.

BTW, I fixed the links.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Thanks, Mary!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version