Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Jesse Tree Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Yes! I was thinking the same thing but could only find 1 inch wood circles locally so I figured I would just glue them together (which did work well).

I also found printing them onto transparencies gave a really lovely stained glass look. You could coat that with clear decoupage too.

I wonder if it's unrealistic to think I could find glass circles. . .

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

MicheleQ wrote:

I wonder if it's unrealistic to think I could find glass circles. . .

That would be gorgeous! These pictures lend themselves to looking like beautiful stained glass. If you do that, please post pictures!!!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Michele, I've been meaning to post and say "THANK YOU." The Jesse Tree printables are beautiful. I went looking for some glass ornaments. Darice's has some 3 in. circle ornaments - since they are over a dollar each would be a bit spendy. Was hoping for something less but not having much luck.

Acrylic or plastic ones would work too, and I think I've seen some before but not finding any. It would be possible to make some from shrinky dink - just figure out the size of circle you need to start with before shrinking to get one about 2-3 inches when finished. I'm going to keep searching for options though.

Another alternative to the transparency paper/film Michele mentioned would be the printable cling paper I recently found at Office Depot. I've been thinking of Liturgical Year ideas to use this for and I think that this Jesse Tree would be great. The circles could be printed out on the cling film and then could be stuck to the glass or acrylic circles (they would be removable). Or a completely different option would be to just stick them to the window each day making a tree shape with them as you go and add them.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Mary,

I found these 1.25 inch glass circles yesterday. At 6.99 for 30 that's a lot more doable. I think they would work well. I also found acrylic circles in the 2 inch size I want --but they are a bit more pricey at 50 for $32.

Now I am debating, do I finish my ornaments the way I WAS making them or go for the glass which is more along the lines of what I want. . .

Oh and a warning that if you are using an inkjet to print the images you may have a hard time gluing them to the circles without them running (a friend was trying to do this with some family pictures recently and ran into a lot of problems). You could have them photo printed at Costco or someplace that does photo prints and they should be OK.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

MaryM wrote:

Another alternative to the transparency paper/film Michele mentioned would be the printable cling paper I recently found at Office Depot. I've been thinking of Liturgical Year ideas to use this for and I think that this Jesse Tree would be great. The circles could be printed out on the cling film and then could be stuck to the glass or acrylic circles (they would be removable). Or a completely different option would be to just stick them to the window each day making a tree shape with them as you go and add them.

Oh! What a fun idea! My smaller children LOVE those clings and the glass on the french doors to my office is quite often covered in them. I didn't realize you could buy printable clings. This opens up all sorts of ideas!!!

Thanks Mary!!

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Another idea, 2 inch clear epoxy adhesive stickers. Printed on a transparency sheet this would give a nice stained glass looking but durable ornament!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm enjoying all the brainstorming. I was thinking simple translucent vellum paper for scrapbooking, but the epoxy looks really, really awesome.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MicheleQ wrote:
Another idea, 2 inch clear epoxy adhesive stickers. Printed on a transparency sheet this would give a nice stained glass looking but durable ornament!

It might be too big and plasticky, but when you described that, I kept thinking coasters would work, and I found these plastic coasters for promotional things in a quick search.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thank you all for the brainstorming! I finished ours, using the wood craft ornament circles and epoxy stickers.

Here's a description

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

This weekend, our Costco still had lots of the jewelry trees that Michelle has pictured in her post. It really does work well, especially for us in trying to keep things uncluttered. The footprint and visual space it takes up is pretty minimal. Just in case anyone wants to jump in a little late with a ready made tree!

Plus, on an sidenote, I think it is nice because it could be left out after Christmas as it does not look "Christmassy" at all. For a few years now, I've thought of how nice it would be to make these lovely Cinnamon Bird Ornaments alongside a reading of the Thornton Burgess Bird Book. It seems such a cheery thing for the bleak winter months after all the Christmas greenery is gone. The jewelry tree would be such a sweet way to display them!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

yes I have a favorite, it is Illuminated Ink's Jesse Tree Kit. We love it. And we use the children's bible to embellish the meaning of each branch of the tree. Its alot of fun. my son is only 5 but we both like it very much. I highly recommend it.
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

I posted sometime ago about the Jesse Tree I was using from IlluminatedInnk. IT is great but I did not realize until later on that it comes only with 12 ornaments! Its still good but..... WhatI really like now is Holy Heroes advent. And its free!! Just go to youtube or google youtube and then do a search on jesse tree holy heroes and it will pop up. Now you'll have to tweak your search depending on what day you are on, like you can say Jesse tree day 1 and see what comes up or page down and try to find it. Its really good. It seems that the makes of this particular one have been doing it over the years and that itused be called advent adventure and now called jesse tree I think or something but on somedays of advent I can find like a day 22 Advent adventure and a day 22 jesse tree both made by holy heroes. It has really made the bible come alive for me and given great discussion points for my 5 yo who always has ants in his pants. ITs cute because they have picture grams made with something like felt or flannel in many of their posts and sometimes all 6 or 7 kids act out that day's theme like noah etc

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

dolorsofmary wrote:
I posted sometime ago about the Jesse Tree I was using from IlluminatedInnk. IT is great but I did not realize until later on that it comes only with 12 ornaments! Its still good but..... WhatI really like now is Holy Heroes advent. And its free!! Just go to youtube or google youtube and then do a search on jesse tree holy heroes and it will pop up. Now you'll have to tweak your search depending on what day you are on, like you can say Jesse tree day 1 and see what comes up or page down and try to find it. Its really good. It seems that the makes of this particular one have been doing it over the years and that itused be called advent adventure and now called jesse tree I think or something but on somedays of advent I can find like a day 22 Advent adventure and a day 22 jesse tree both made by holy heroes. It has really made the bible come alive for me and given great discussion points for my 5 yo who always has ants in his pants. ITs cute because they have picture grams made with something like felt or flannel in many of their posts and sometimes all 6 or 7 kids act out that day's theme like noah etc

That's too bad about Illuminated Ink only being 12 symbols. Even if I added in 7 days of O Antiphons I still would come up short. They also have the O Antiphon kit, but it doesn't have all 7 either.

Glad to hear feedback on Holy Heroes. I have a short attention span and little patience for videos online, so I didn't find that it fit my needs. I prefer to see things in writing.

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

I don't know why Illuminated Ink comes up short, they do such a good job. One thing we really really love from illuminated ink is their Our Lady of Guadalupe kit - not the rosary or grotto _ haven't done that yet - but the pop up one. It is soooo cool. Its meant for an older child but my son, God love him, being only 5 really really loves Our Lady of Guadalupe so I had to get this and we do the micro version play of it with ourselves, I'm Our Lady, my son is St. Juan Diego and my hubby is the bishop and the mean guards and the sick uncle, its funny and then on a whim we will do the play but with the pop up paper people. Its great! I really really know the story well now. And I got the passion pop up thing too for lent. I'm looking forward to that.

All in all doing the illuminated ink jesse tree and following along with holy heroes jesse tree i know have a good handle of the summary of salvation history and I did a micro kiddie version (more speech than anything) with my hubby and son last night - the emphasis was that Jesus is the light of the world. I never really got fully what the devil did in the garden and what Jesus did by being born and dying and rising from the dead in terms of the gates of heaven until now - I guess I got confused inthe past because of some protestant influence - once saved always saved, now I KNOW and i love it! I think my son who is only 5 knows it too. I'm so proud I think when he has to be tested by the priest for the sacraments he is going ot really wow him I hope! Well see. Happy. One thing that has helped me the most is I say my prayers 1st thing in teh morning rather than remembering in the car and rushing through them, it really seems to make my day go so much better and I feel it is the reason for everything working out so well.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping up this thread, as Jesse tree time is drawing near.
I was panning to make felt ornaments over the summer but never did...

Now I am investigating options for this year year's tree. Rereading this thread is very helpful.

Anyone trying anything new this year?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

SeaStar wrote:
Bumping up this thread, as Jesse tree time is drawing near.

Noooooo!!!!! I'm not ready for this yet. This time of year can't possibly be upon us. I can't even think beyond what I need to do TODAY.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Searching "Jesse Tree" on Etsy can provide some inspiring ideas. (yes, I do sell Jesse Tree ornaments over there, but I am *not* advertising them here ) - there are others this year selling a couple of different designs (I *LOVE* the clay/resin ones!) - and each type is a great inspiration for what you could do at home.

I just wish someone would make a Jesse Tree itself that would hold 28-40 ornaments. I can't do it myself. I need to get to the stores after Christmas and buy a small artificial tree on clearance. But alas - I avoid stores as much as possible!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

I ordered the Scripture Tree Jesse booklet only - with no felt directly from Jodi then used shrinky dinks - you can see pictures at my blog I used a photo tree.

Jodi Heinzen
Scripture Trees
PO Box 715
Willernie, MN 55090
651-426-2174
scripturetrees@gmail.com

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I found these Jesse Tree printables at Catholicartworks.

I really like that the ornaments are all of people... maybe not as traditional, but definitely a "family tree" approach. They are double sided. I love the pictures.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

While I love our Jesse Tree ornaments made from Michele's stained glass, I had to post this new printable from Pious Sodality of Church Ladies.

The list of Jesse Tree figures differ from set to set. This one doesn't use the O antiphons. But it's lovely, and I love the artwork!

You'll have to do the crafting!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version