Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Japan ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 28 2006 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MaryM wrote:
Oh, I remember that article - what a great idea for a cherry blossom party. I'm so sad you brought up Martha Stewart Kids though - did you know that was their last issue? I'm - I loved that magazine!!!

Oh, I was just devastated when I got that postcard announcement. I have every single issue! Even the Baby ones from way back! That magazine was one-of-a-kind, so well done and I will sorely miss it. I can't understand why they stopped publication. All her magazines seem to do so well.

MaryM wrote:
This is a cool explanation of the sakura kanji.

Oh, Mary this is perfect!!! Thank you so much for this link, it is exactly what I needed!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

ladybugs wrote:
I know that creating a magazine is HUGE but what about trying to put together the new Loving, Laughing and Real Learning magazine....berthed here...

Well, there certainly are many qualified contributors here! I would buy it in an instant!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

ladybugs wrote:
But....sounds like there's a niche to fill, ladies....

I know that creating a magazine is HUGE but what about trying to put together the new Loving, Laughing and Real Learning magazine....berthed here...

We need a big donor to start the production.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Well, this is an odd question, but I really want to be sensitive about this and I know I can turn to you all for advice. The coop I am part of has two Catholic families (we being one of course) and two Protestant families (one Presbyterian and one Fundamentalist). We generally do not include religion in our activities, but I would very much like to talk with the kids about Our Lady of Akita when I do the cherry blossom week (we all take turns teaching). Before I broach the subject with the other moms, I would like to determine if this would be at all inappropriate to suggest. All I know is our own Catholic devotion to Mary; I have no idea what non-Catholic Christians think or believe about our Lady in general and Marian apparitions in particular. I certainly can (and will) explore Japanese Madonnas with my own children outside of coop (I had planned to anyway as there are so many wonderful ideas and links shared in this thread). I am only asking because I do not want to hurt anyone’s feelings; we are a close-knit group and very tolerant of each other’s beliefs (i.e. we don’t discuss it! ). Thank you for any opinions.

EDITED TO ADD: In re-reading my post I feel I came across too strongly. It's not that I think I would hurt anyone's feelings just by asking if I can talk about Mary during a lesson. But I don't want to rock the boat either. I would like to have a feel for what the non-Catholic opinion of Marian devotion and apparitions is before I bring it up. I quite possibly am over-thinking this, as I often do, but really my goal is just to be mindful of my friends' feelings!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dawn
I don't know if you've read much about the history of the Catholic church in Japan but I found it fascinating.

After St Francis Xavier left there was a persecution of the Catholics in Japan, I daresay that you've heard of the Japanese Martyrs.

What I found fascinating and read in Fr Paul Glynn's Book "The Song of Nagasaki' (see my website for more details) was that when the Catholics were finally allowed back into Japan they discovered that rather than the Faith dying out in all those hundreds of years it had been kept alive. As they had no priests they assigned 'elders' if you like for various tasks, Ie. the water man baptised the FAithful, they had their teachers to hand on the Faith etc. An incredible story the history and Faith of the Japanese.

I realise that your children are perhaps at this stage too young to study this but still interesting for you to know and mention to them.

As to your question regards Our Lady and your protestant friends, I would have to say it really depends on them. I have many Protestant friends and the majority of them would not be comfortable with this. Only perhaps one or two would be fine about it. It is something you could ask them but be prepared for a "no' in fact go gently with the asking, prepare yourself for a no and don;t take it personally or allow it to affect your friendship. Have you ever discussed your faith in any way with them? If so what sort of responses, feeelings did you get? this should give you an indication of where they are at.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2006 at 3:51am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Erin wrote:
As to your question regards Our Lady and your protestant friends, I would have to say it really depends on them. I have many Protestant friends and the majority of them would not be comfortable with this. Only perhaps one or two would be fine about it. It is something you could ask them but be prepared for a "no' in fact go gently with the asking, prepare yourself for a no and don;t take it personally or allow it to affect your friendship. Have you ever discussed your faith in any way with them? If so what sort of responses, feeelings did you get? this should give you an indication of where they are at.

Erin, thank you so much for your thoughts on this. First of all, I have not read too much about the history of Catholicism in Japan, but from what I am beginning to understand it sounds fascinating. Anything we approach in our studies - our life - I like to come at from a Catholic perspective, and that is why I asked about doing this with a mixed faith group.

To be honest, we have never talked directly about our individual faiths and how they are similar and how they differ. We talk around it, but leave out the nitty gritty. This is where I get stumped. But there's Catholic reminders all over my house (we meet here), so there's no doubting or wondering about our faith. And I am always talking about various things we do, or resources we are using ... never quite sure if I am saying or suggesting something inappopriate to a non-Catholic Christian. I have always been fuzzy on where exactly we do differ (and maybe I don't really want to know). Sometimes when I bring something up or if something we have on display gets pointed out (our Marian altar for example) I can sense a general interest but definitely a quietness.

I would love it if we could completely infuse our coop and all our lessons with Catholicism but I know that's unrealistic. And I don't want to appear to be trying to "sneak it in" when it might make my friends uncomfortable. On the other hand, so much of our home education is suffused with Catholicism, it makes perfect sense that we would be looking at its influence on Japanese culture and history.

The other Catholic mother does often stay after we've ended for the day, and we always get around to talking about our faith ~ things we're reading and using with the kids. It's nice to be able to chat this way.

I love my friends, and I love that we are all Christian, but I love my Catholic faith so much that I can't always help talking about it, drawing from it, mentioning this or that. From what I understand, some Protestants are uncomfortable with some of our beliefs, but I have no idea where my friends stand. I do know we are all devout within our own faiths. No one is lukewarm! As odd as it seems, and we've known each other years, I just don't know that much about their particular faiths.

Gosh I'm rambling now. This is obviously something weighing on my mind right now. Thanks for listening!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 29 2006 at 3:56am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MaryM wrote:
Have you seen Martha's paper cherry blossom display? It's lovely.

It is lovely, Mary! And it would give us something to do with the paper flowers we are going to make! Thanks!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Dawn,

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this or not, but check out Japan's Ocean Dome

It's a large, indoor water park.

If you pm me with your email address, I have some cool pics I can send you.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thanks, Maria! I just sent you a p.m.

booklegger
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Sept 07 2006 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote booklegger

I know I am late for your home projects but just in case anyone else is pursuing this study:

Japan wasn't always called Japan it was called "Isle of the Dragonfly" or "Akitsushima" so dragonflies figure into their culture significantly. Today our backyard is full of dragonflies, good to see because hopefully there will be less mosquitoes outside in the evenings.

For sushi even a child will eat: http://www.recipezaar.com/120476

Information on bento: http://www.recipezaar.com/120476

http://www.bentocorner.com/roller/page/bentoblog?catname=%2F Bento

A look at what a more typical meal at home would comprise: http://www.nsknet.or.jp/~tomi-yasu/index_e.html

We are planning a trip to Akita this fall, I am really looking forward to it. Even non-Catholics who have visted have told me of a profound sense of peace while in Akita.

Japan is a beautiful country, my favorite place to live so far!

Back to Top View booklegger's Profile Search for other posts by booklegger

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2006 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

booklegger wrote:
We are planning a trip to Akita this fall, I am really looking forward to it. Even non-Catholics who have visted have told me of a profound sense of peace while in Akita.

Wow, what an amazing trip! Thank you for all the ideas!

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2006 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Love this thread---I did Asia last year with my 12 year old son. Here's what we have for Japan:

(I didn't read through all of the posts so hope I don't duplicate.)

Fun, lighter stuff:

1. jigsaw puzzle book with "can you spot these things?"---Usborne Jigsaw World Atlas book, Asia map---FUN.
2. Usborne Sticker Atlas of the World, Asia pages.
3. Search and Find Around the World by Tony Tallarico---an entire two pages of a fun Japanese map alone--- with many, many things to "find" and read on the page.
4. Children Just Like Me
5. Count Your Way Through Japan and Colors of Japan
6. Japan by Henry Pluckrose
7. Find Out About Ancient Japan by Fiona Macdonald
8. Our Lady of Akita (Mother of God coloring book)
9. Allen Say books like Tea with Milk, etc.
10. Little Oh

More in-depth, serious stuff:

1. Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes
2. The Big Wave by Pearl Buck
3. Born in the Year of Courage
4. Commodore Perry in the Land of Shogun
5. The Samurai's Tale by Erik Haugaard (there is also a violent movie The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise)
6. The Journal of Ben Uchida, a Dear America book
7. Victory in the Pacific by Albert Marrin
8. St. Francis Xavier: (Vision book; CCC video)
9. Satoko Kitahara (from Faces of Holiness II)

God bless Japan!

We knew a very holy priest at our old parish in Santa Clara-- Our Lady of Peace: Fr. Francis Xavier Shishido, who used to offer Masses in Japanese! Pray to him.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version