Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Japan ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

lapazfarm wrote:
Older children may get a kick out of trying their hand at making sushi.

This intimidates me (not a big sushi fan here ) but I agree the older kids would enjoy it! I know Wild Oats sells it, so I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm there ...

Are there varieties of sushi that are more child-friendly than others?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Dawn wrote:

This intimidates me (not a big sushi fan here ) but I agree the older kids would enjoy it!

I believe it was Family Fun magazine that has a "fake" sushi you could make with maybe fruit leather and... I'll have to see which issue that was in and get back to you.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2006 at 11:21am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Dawn wrote:
Meredith, thanks for reminding me! I visit your blog often (it's just lovely) so I should have remembered your beautiful notebooks. As I mentioned, this will be our first *official* attempt at making lapbooks (we started one on stained glass windows, but never got it going ) ... so looking over your children's books is inspiring *and* instructive!

Thank you so much for the kind words, and my dc did work very hard on this one, so many narrations at their asking because there were so many great books!! We had a great time with the Basho book and haiku! It's a pleasure for me to showcase them and I hope someone will be able to use something from them!!

And Theresa, go for it, you'll do it up right and then we can "lift" your great ideas too!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 08 2006 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I came across a few things that I thought I'd mention, although it's probably too late for your little group, Dawn.

I noticed in Oriental Trading Company they were selling paper fans and umbrellas to paint. I thought those might be a perfect activity to imitate some of the silk painting of Japan...and incorporate the fans and parasols of Japan, also.

At a used book sale I picked up "Grandfather's Journey," which I know has been mentioned. What beautiful illustrations! I also found a book entitled Japanese Children's Favorite Stories edited by Florence Sakade, Illus. Yoshisuke Kurosaki, Copyright 1958, Chalres E. Tuttle Company, Rutland, VT and Tokyo, Japan. This is a collection of traditional stories found in Japan, such as Peach Boy, The Magic Teakettle, The Sticky-Sticky Pine, with sweet illustrations. This is one of multiple books on Japanese stories and culture from this publisher.

In doing a little searching, this book and others have been reprinted (see here for example. Searching on Bookfinder.com for just Florence Sakade pulled up many books, new and used, including Origami.

Other titles in the series if you want to keep an eye out:
Old Tales of Japan by Yuri Yasuda
Kappa's Tug of War with Big Brown Horse by Dorothy W. Baruch
The ABC's of Origami (for Children) by Claude Sarasas

Activity books for primary school children, American Japanese Coloring and Talking Books.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 08 2006 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

JennGM wrote:
I came across a few things that I thought I'd mention, although it's probably too late for your little group, Dawn.

Nope - not too late, Jenn! We are still in the planning phase. We officially begin in two weeks with a field trip to see an Asian art exhibit at a nearby museum!

Thanks for all the resource suggestions; I'm going to add them to our list.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I came back to this thread to refresh my memory of all the wonderful ideas that were generously shared and I thought I would mention that we are 3 weeks into our Japan study and having a blast! In case you are interested, I have posted a recap each week: here, here and here. Thanks again, everyone!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 25 2006 at 4:45am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Dawn
Just to add to your unit Have you any of Junko Morimoto's books. I have 'A piece of Straw and The White Crane' I know these are still in print and they are very good picture for telling Japanese folk tales.

I'll go and have a look at your unit now We're planning on Japan next term.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 27 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

let the kids have some fun packing a virtual bento box:

Virtual Bento

Eating Our Way Through Japanese History
Cultural Anthropologist Mizuki Ito's blog of her children's bento boxes
Bento Box Faces Collection

if you want more bento box information/ideas, i've got some in my blog post here:

Bento Boxes at NoodlesandRice

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

stefoodie wrote:
let the kids have some fun packing a virtual bento box:

Virtual Bento

Stef, that was so much fun! Ds and I just did it a couple of times. It really shows how Japanese kids eat in a fun way. I'm impressed with how healthy they eat ~ I thought those soccer balls were chocolate!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Our next coop meeting we are going to have a cherry blossom party! I saw an article in Martha Stewart Kids which gave me a few ideas ...

Crafts: We're going to use apple stamps (carved apples) to make cherry blossom prints on paper bookmarks. We'll also cut pink and white origami paper into cherry blossom shapes.

Food and drink: We will make a "cherry blossom punch" (hibiscus-lemon tea sweetened with apple juice) and cut fruit and cheese slices into flower shapes.

Culture: We are also going to explore Japanese National Festivals and comapare them with American holidays. I used this site for information on the flag last week and the last two pages show all the national holidays.

Language: I found an online Japanese Kanji translator that translated cherry blossom, or sakura, into kanji that the older boys can draw with calligraphy pens and onion paper.

Music: I also found a CD called Sakura: A Musical Celebration of the Cherry Blossoms that we will play during our tea party. (You can listen on amazon ~ the music is lovely!)

History: We will also take this opportunity to discuss Japanese-American relations over the years, focusing on the gift of the Cherry trees to D.C. all those years ago. I remembered a site on The History of the Cherry Trees in Washington D.C. we can use ...

Literature:

Under the Cherry Blossom Tree: An Old Japanese Tale by Allen Say

Japanese Celebrations: Cherry Blossoms, Lanterns and Stars

The Cherry Blossom Festival: Sakura Celebration

Oh dear I am running on now and I have to go ready for church! I just thought I'd share our latest Japanese coop ideas and do some thinking out loud here ...

If you have any cherry blossom ideas please let me know!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

What about picking cherry blossoms and pressing them?

What about the idea of sister cities? Maybe yours has a Japanese sister city? Sacramento has several sister cities but our Japanese sister city is Matsuyama, Japan.

Just some thoughts...

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

ladybugs wrote:
What about the idea of sister cities? Maybe yours has a Japanese sister city? Sacramento has several sister cities but our Japanese sister city is Matsuyama, Japan.

Maria, this is a great idea!! I just did a quick google and found out that Boston's Japanese sister city is Kyoto ~ and it was our first, named in 1959. Thanks for the tip!

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hey Dawn!

I think Kyoto was actually a city where Our Lady appeared. I remember seeing a movie a looooonnnnggg time ago. It was called Marian Apparitions of the 20th Century.

I think it was Ricardo Montalban who narrated it...

Anyway, just another idea...

Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MaryM wrote:
There are some of the Japanese Madonna prints in this gallery and the Our Lady of Akita page.

I just found Our Lady of Akita in our Mother of God Coloring Book! I was looking through it for something else, and since I had just re-read all the posts here, Mary's suggestion was fresh in my mind. There is a picture to color along with this information (which would serve as nice copywork):

Our Lady of Akita
Akita-Shi, Japan, 1973 A.D.

"Each day ... with the Rosary, pray for the Pope, the bishops and the priests," is what Our Lady said in a vision to Sister Agnes while she prayed in front of this tearful statue. For three months many people noticed the wooden statue of Our Lady giving out a bright light, and a heavenly fragrance."

I'm so excited to add this to our Japan study! Thanks again, everyone, for all your help.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Japanese city where Mary appeared is Akita.   

Dawn wrote:
Our next coop meeting we are going to have a cherry blossom party! I saw an article in
Martha Stewart Kids which gave me a few ideas ...
Oh, I remember that article - what a great idea for a cherry blossom party. I'm so sad you brought up Martha Stewart Kids though - did you know that was their last issue? I'm - I loved that magazine!!!

Dawn wrote:
If you have any cherry blossom ideas please let me know!

Have you seen Martha's paper cherry blossom display? It's lovely.

The Yamaha website has a bunch of paper projects - one is a "Hamani" (Cherry blossom viewing) scene.

Dawn wrote:
Language: I found an online Japanese Kanji translator that translated cherry blossom, or sakura, into kanji ...

This is a cool explanation of the sakura kanji.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
Dawn wrote:
Our next coop meeting we are going to have a cherry blossom party! I saw an article in
Martha Stewart Kids which gave me a few ideas ...
Oh, I remember that article - what a great idea for a cherry blossom party. I'm so sad you brought up Martha Stewart Kids though - did you know that was their last issue? I'm - I loved that magazine!!!

What?? I didn't realize that? I had a subscription and missed this. I'm right with you, Mary.

So why did this magazine fail?

It's a tangent, but this morning when we had one of those TLC or Discovery or home decorating channel (not sure which one) and it was a show on latest trends for bathrooms it got me thinking on how much of the trends for decorating, house ideas, cooking...so much of this is so non-kid friendly. (This thought pops in my head every so often). It's a culture of "spend the money this way and pamper yourself -- if you have kids, tough luck (or make your house so unkidfriendly)." There are so few family friendly ideas and shows out there.

So a magazine so beautiful and wonderful ideas geared to kids now down the tubes. Fiddledeedee!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Dawn wrote:

Are there varieties of sushi that are more child-friendly than others?

What else? California rolls....

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

MaryM wrote:
The Japanese city where Mary appeared is Akita.   [

Thank you! I couldn't remember for sure!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
So why did this magazine fail?

So a magazine so beautiful and wonderful ideas geared to kids now down the tubes. Fiddledeedee!

I don't know why it failed. It was a beautiful magazine full of such creative ideas. All I know is two months ago I got a letter that said the spring issue was the last issue they were publishing and that they would finish out my subscription with another of their magazines - MS Everyday Food - how can they call this a substitute   

Our Domestic Church

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

JennGM wrote:

It's a tangent, but this morning when we had one of those TLC or Discovery or home decorating channel (not sure which one) and it was a show on latest trends for bathrooms it got me thinking on how much of the trends for decorating, house ideas, cooking...so much of this is so non-kid friendly. (This thought pops in my head every so often). It's a culture of "spend the money this way and pamper yourself -- if you have kids, tough luck (or make your house so unkidfriendly)." There are so few family friendly ideas and shows out there.

Sadly, this is toooooo true....

But....sounds like there's a niche to fill, ladies....

I know that creating a magazine is HUGE but what about trying to put together the new Loving, Laughing and Real Learning magazine....berthed here...

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version