Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Virtues of saints? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 15 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

We are going to be studying different virtues in our homeschool - starting now! I was wondering if any of you knew of a simple resource that listed which saints were particularly known for different virtues? Like right now we have started talking about mercy. Is there a saint famous for showing mercy?

Obedience? Orderliness? Perserverence? My kids need a lot of work so we'll be studying many positive qualities!

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That's a tough one! I tend to think of saints as having so many virtues it would be hard to pick out just one!However, when I think of mercy, I think of St. Vincent de Paul and his work with the poor. Also, St. Francis of Assisi with the lepers, but he is perhaps more an example of obedience? Perseverence-St. Monica, mother of St. Augustine, or St. John Bosco with all those boys.
Wish I could be more help. I am anxious to read what others share.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

A Year With The Saints
This is a great book which divides the year into 12 virtues, one for each month. Full of quotes from the saints. The quotes tend to be from the same saints, but they are great saints, such as St. Vincent de Paul, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis de Sales.

St. Catherine Laboure kept the secret that she was the sister to whom the Miraculous Medal was revealed.

St. Therese of Lisieux said her vocation was "love."

St. Vincent de Paul is considered great in his charity.

St. Francis de Sales renowned for his meekness.

St. John Bosco had the purity of an angel.

St. Bernadette for her humility (I am the broom our Lady used, and now she has put me behind the door.)

Bl. Jacinta was greatly concerned for praying for the Pope.

Bl. Francisco spent hours in front of the Blessed Sacrament. He longed to keep Jesus company.

Bl. Charles de Foucauld dedicated his life to teaching the Moslems, by merely living with them in the desert, what Christian meant.

St. Isidore Bakanja martyr of the scapular

St. Tarcisus (sp?) gave his young life to protect the Blessed Sacrament.

Am I moving away from virtues?
Perhaps I should stop now although this is a fun topic.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have been scouring my bookshelves and the internet for ideas. This seems like there would be something like an index of virtues with a saint and/or story in his/her life that shows the application. Not too complicated. Maybe something newer out there that I haven't seen.

But I have a few suggestions that might fit the bill, just not perfectly:

The best book I have is called Spiritual Diary: Selected Sayings and Examples of Saints, author anonymous, printed by Daughters of St. Paul in 1962 and 1979. Of course, it is OOP. It is a reprint of an original book written in 1775. It treats twelve virtues, one for each month of the year: Pefection, Humility, Mortificaiton, Patience, Meekness, Obedience, Simplicity, Diligence, Prayer, Confidence, Charity and Union. Under each virtue are gathered pertinent sayings and examples of Saints for each day. The saints include Francis de Sales, Vincent de Paul, Teresa of Avila, etc.

Since it was written so long ago, there aren't current saints, nor is it written for children, but still, it's a GREAT book. I couldn't find too many copies, but www.bookfinder.com had a few. Search for the title "Spiritual Diary: Selected Sayings" and a few copies will pop up. There was one for under $3.00, the rest over $10 and up. Actually, now that I'm looking at another source, I think this is a reprint of the book A Year With Saints.

The best directed for children is the reprint of a classic work Saints and Our Childre by Mary Reed Newland. Again, no index to find saints to virtues, but this comes the closest of having stories to match the virtues. This is an online version so you could see if it fits the bill.

Loyola Press has a few books out on saints. One in particular might fit the bill, except that they aren't all saints that are used. Amy Welborn's Loyola Kids Book of Heroes according to this description covers the virtues.

I love the Saints and Feast Days. I prefer the older version for the discussions of the saints' virtues, but the newer edition has the newly canonized saints, so I have both. Again, no index on virtues, though. This would require you to do some footwork.

Has anyone seen the Saints Kit? Would this fit the bill?

My sister raved about this book Many Saints, Many Ways by Phyllis Vos Wezeman and Anna L. Liechty. I think it's like a unit study approach with the saints. I haven't seen a copy, so I'm not sure if it covers the virtues, but it looks promising.

Now there were some other threads on teaching virtues Virtues Symbols and Virtues Again for recommendations. Especially David Isaacs book.

With the symbols, if you look up in some of the symbols books repeating symbols found for each saint, like the lily, for purity, then that saint can be used an example for the virtue.

I love Mary Ann Budnik, and see that she has a book Raise Happy Children...Teach Them Virtues!. I haven't seen it...maybe someone can comment.

Sorry I go on and on....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

HelenDilworth wrote:
A Year With The Saints
This is a great book which divides the year into 12 virtues,

Ah, Helen, great minds think alike!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2006 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Funny Jenn, it must be the same book

St. Maximilian Kolbe was extremely orderly. He had many apostolic endeavors (magazines, foundations) and had to be orderly. Also, he was totally Marian, and the Blessed Virgin Mary was orderly as well (according to Ven Mary of Agreda)

I think of St. Louis de Montfort as very persevering. No one listened to him. He said his book on True Devotion would be lost and hidden in a trunk. I believe it took 12? years for anyone to join the women's order he begun (with the one woman who joined in the beginning). But, he was unswerving in his devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary.

I also think of Bl. Junipero Serra as very persevering. He was bitten by a snake the moment he landed in the new World. But, undaunted, he walked across Mexico and California as a missionary. (I enjoyed very much the book by Amy Bolton)

I think of St. Gerard Majella as being very obedient. The tape put out by Regina Martyrum Productions said he responded to MENTAL orders. (If you saw my "internet journal" last week, St. Elizabeth of Hungary was very obedient.)

Our Lady and Saint Joseph have all the virtues to remarkable degrees, so you can always turn to them when in doubt.

(Does anyone know if you can still get tapes by Regina Martyrum Productions. I wanted to get the St. Anthony Mary Claret and then never found where to order from.)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

lapazfarm wrote:
However, when I think of mercy, I think of St. Vincent de Paul and his work with the poor. Also, St. Francis of Assisi with the lepers, but he is perhaps more an example of obedience?

Bl. Damien of Moloka'i and Bl. Mother Marianne Cope also showed mercy in their work with lepers.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

HelenDilworth wrote:

I also think of Bl. Junipero Serra as very persevering. He was bitten by a snake the moment he landed in the new World. But, undaunted, he walked across Mexico and California as a missionary. (I enjoyed very much the book by Amy Bolton)

oops! actually, IVY Bolton.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 17 2006 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

In the book Voices of the Saints by Bert Ghezzi a book I refer to often has a whole section in the back for reading the Saints based on a "Theme". It does list "almsgivers" "kindness" "generosity" "humility", and many other Themes. Might be worth a look. I find it to be very nice for daily Saint reflections and lots of unknown saints in it too!

HTH, let us know what you decide to use, sounds like a great plan

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2006 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thanks for the ideas everyone! So much to think about, and purchase! I think I'll definitely be buying some of the books mentioned.

To help me organize my thoughts and resources, I've started a Wordpress blog on virtues. Since I can categorize in many different ways there, I can add ideas as I think of them and not be stuck only doing one virtue at a time. Then the posts can be listed by topic for anyone coming to visit who needs ideas.

There is very little there now, but by this time next year I hope to have a good amount! Here is the link: Blog of Virtues

Please feel free to PM me or comment on the blog if you have ideas, links, resources, etc you'd like me to add to the site.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version