Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: St. Joseph's Day, March 20 (or Mar 18?) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Big highlights in Lent for me: my birthday , St. Patrick's Day and then St. Joseph's Day. This year, because March 19 is a Sunday, the solemnity is moved to the previous day, Saturday, the 18th.

Last year we had a little discussion on ideas for this feast. I always have so many food ideas...hard for me to pick...and then it usually turns out we go to our favorite Italian restaurant and order cannolis (sp) for the celebration. Our family usually goes to morning mass, celebrates the nameday of all the Josephs in the extended family (lots) with breakfast out or donuts or something, then special treats and break from Lent all day.

Cay in the past has planned a St. Joseph Altar for her parish....maybe she can fill in with details from that tradition.

I don't have many ideas for picture books...I'd love to hear suggestions. I'm waiting for Tomie deP to do one on St. Joseph...with his Irish and Italian background I'm surprised that wasn't his first saint to do!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We'll be burying the dear saint in our yard on Friday so that we can start the novena to him for help with selling our house.

My 16 yos is named Joe (and the school where dh teaches is St. Joseph's) so we usually do a pretty big feast -- tons of food and lots of fun -- always a welcome additon during Lent.

Matter of fact -- and don't let my Irish relatives know -- we probably do more for St. Joe than St. Pat!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

jenngm67 wrote:
I don't have many ideas for picture books...I'd love to hear suggestions.

Jenn, I just picked up The Song of the Swallows from the library and it looks really sweet. (I got the idea from someone on this list, but I can't remember who! )

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
Jenn, I just picked up The Song of the Swallows from the library and it looks really sweet. (I got the idea from someone on this list, but I can't remember who! )

Oh good, I forgot about that one! And my library has several copies. I might just be able to pull it off this St. Joe's Day!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Here is a website we came across when doing our study of St. Joseph. It is the Loretto Chapel and the miraculous staircase that is believed by some to have been built by St Joseph himself. Really fascinating. we would love to visit there some day.

Loretto Chapel miraculous staircase

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I think St. Joseph is tranferred to March 20th, rather than the 18th. I could be wrong, but I have looked at several sources. What do you think?

calendar

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

For a quick craft project to celebrate this great Feast, we picked up unfinished wooden frames, paints, glue, and appropriate shapes at the craft store. I chose shapes related to carpentry--saws and hammers--along with religious symbols--lilies, crosses, and an angel. The children painted the shapes and frame, glued them in a pleasing pattern, and used their new creations to display beautiful holy cards of St. Joseph.

Happy Feast everyone! Thanks especially to Jenn for beginning this topic.

St. Joseph, pray for our husbands!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sarah wrote:
I think St. Joseph is tranferred to March 20th, rather than the 18th. I could be wrong, but I have looked at several sources. What do you think?

calendar

My usual source which has never failed me is Catholic Calendar showed March 18, but other sources are saying Mar. 20. I remember MicheleQ saying something when she was calendar planning about the uniqueness of the date this year, moving it back instead of forward, but I could be all wrong!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

jenngm67 wrote:
Sarah wrote:

calendar

My usual source which has never failed me is Catholic Calendar showed March 18, but other sources are saying Mar. 20.

I was just coming online to mention the 20th. Our diocesan calendar lists it as the 20th, nevertheless, they've been wrong about a number of things over the years, including the fact that it is a Solemnity, not a lenten weekday. So, I looked it up in my Magnificat and sure enough, the mass on the 20th is for St. Joseph's day.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2006 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Some coloring pages for St. Joseph:

Family Faith Traditions for March

Coloring Saints has pages for St. Patrick and St. Joseph

Still looking around for more. Of course, there are the Biblical depictions of St. Joseph esp. in the Joyful mysteries that could be used. I've just got a preschooler, so coloring pages work well here.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
My usual source which has never failed me is Catholic Calendar showed March 18, but other sources are saying Mar. 20.

I was just coming online to mention the 20th. Our diocesan calendar lists it as the 20th, nevertheless, they've been wrong about a number of things over the years, including the fact that it is a Solemnity, not a lenten weekday. So, I looked it up in my Magnificat and sure enough, the mass on the 20th is for St. Joseph's day. [/QUOTE]

Well, I'll take the correction and change the date in the subject line. My first thought was to put the 20th, because that's the usual thing. Maybe my pain killers are just not letting my brain function completely...but I know I'm not imagining the one site!

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Huh, I wonder if its different in different dioceses. Do you have your diocesan calendar? All I have is the Fraternity of St. Peter calendar (Tridentine) which is stating the 20th. The novena we are partcipating in with the North American Martyrs Mar 12-20th in Ontario is saying St. Joseph on the 20th.

How confusing ! Saturday would be more fun than Monday. I hope we figure this out. Check your diocesan calendars and let me know.

Maybe there's nothing official. However, if you went to Mass that day and thought it was his feastday and it wasn't. . .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 07 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was looking for music for the feast of St. Joseph and came across this Polish site for St. Joseph. I keep coming back to this site...it has such great information. Italians aren't the only one with a great devotion to St. Joseph! Note it has music, coloring page, recipes and prayers and traditions!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 07 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

My son (Big Joe as his brothers call him ) would say -- let's just party all weekend!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I wanted to share this beautiful Novena prayer written by Dr. Robin Maas (of the Women's Apostolate to Youth (WAY)).

SAINT JOSEPH NOVENA
for Husbands and Fathers

Protector of the Virgin and Guardian the Word made flesh,
look with compassion, Holy Joseph,
on our husbands, the fathers of our families.
Revive, with your blessing, their disappointed hopes;
provide, with your prayers, work that satisfies and sustains;
and seal with your own meritorious sacrifice
their commitment to their marriage vow,
May your steady devotion to duty and patient labor for souls
inspire them to cherish their wives
as you cherished the Mother of Incarnate Love
and revere, in each of their offspring,
the living Lord who dwells in the souls of his little ones.

Glorious Saint Joseph, we commend to your providential care and direction
those husbands and fathers who
labor long hours for little pay and agonize about their family’s welfare
suffer from debilitating fears, addictions or illness
are driven by personal ambition, ruled by anger or threatened by feelings of futility
try to live without God and His sacraments
flee their responsibilities as head of the household
struggle constantly with the temptation to be unfaithful
who neglect or abuse their wives and children.

Terror of demons, defend our families from the assaults of the evil one.
Model of artisans, provide for families who suffer want.
Light of patriarchs, take to your bosom all families without fathers.

Our Father. . . . Hail Mary. . . . Glory be. . . .

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2006 at 5:30am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Jen, thank you very much for sharing this with us. It is just what I was looking for.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 11 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

One year our homeschool group had a party on St. Joseph's day to celebrate fathers. The kids did presentations (skits, poems, narrations) that celebrated something about their dads. Someone had gotten inexpensive wooden yard sticks - one for each family. The children wrote words on it that described their dads and signed them, then gave them to the dads. It was also a potluck dinner. Very fun and a great way to appreciate dads on St. Joseph's feast day.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2006 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

On St. Joseph's Day this year, we will be doing some of the fun things the kids have enjoyed in the past:

Going on a tool treasure hunt (looking for carpenter tools hidden throughout the house with clues attached and words about St. Joseph's life)...this idea came from Little Saints Preschool Program

Reading Good Saint Joseph by Father Lovasik

Singing "St. Joseph" song on the Sing Bible Prayer Songs tape by Carol Fisher

And I love the picture frame idea, Alice!...fun!
Thanks for listing the great websites, ladies!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2006 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

jenngm67 wrote:

Cay in the past has planned a St. Joseph Altar for her parish....maybe she can fill in with details from that tradition.

I blogged about it this morning: St. Joseph Altars

Our group didn't do one this year. I did one last year with two other moms. It was very rewarding, but a lot of work.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2006 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

jenngm67 wrote:
My usual source which has never failed me is Catholic Calendar showed March 18, but other sources are saying Mar. 20. I remember MicheleQ saying something when she was calendar planning about the uniqueness of the date this year, moving it back instead of forward, but I could be all wrong!

I just saw this. I am really frustrated because my usual source is also the Catholic Calendar page and they list it as being on the 18th, but the USCCB lists it as the 20th and I do think that is correct. To all of you who bought my planner this year please accept my apologies for listing it incorrectly. When you are working as far in advance as we do with dates it can be difficult to find sources. The USCCB site only goes a few months ahead so I can't check it there until it's too late.

Again, I'm very sorry.

God bless!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version