Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Craft ideas for Pope John Paul II Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aubreypnp
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote aubreypnp

Hi. We're going to be spending a day exploring Pope John Paul II with children ages 6 and under. I'm planning on reading Lolek: The Boy who became Pope with them and we are going to have cupcakes with the coat of arms as suggested at Catholic Cuisine. I'm struggling to find a craft to reinforce some aspect of his life or teachings. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input! Aubrey
Back to Top View aubreypnp's Profile Search for other posts by aubreypnp

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote dakotamidnight

well, perhaps a polish themed meal since he was from Poland?

Perhaps a project making flags of the world since John Paul II was such a great linguist and traveled so much?

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

You could get a world map, too (or print one out) and mark all the places he visited.

You could also write or recite poems or short plays (scenes?), since he was an accomplished poet and playwright.

Since he loved working with groups of people, team projects are very appropriate. He loved the outdoors, too (esp. hiking and skiing) - could you integrate those ideas?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Since he had such a Marian devotion, I think a Marian craft would be nice. Catholic Icing just had several Marian crafts posted. A focus on Our Lady of Czestechowa would be particularly fitting. Karol Wojtyła/John Paul II’s life was closely connected to Jasna Góra - where the icon is located.

Since he was an actor and playwright doing a little mini play with the kids.

Coloring pages of the Luminous mysteries would be good, too, as those were instituted by him.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

aubreypnp
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 09 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote aubreypnp

These are wonderful ideas. Thank you!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For more John Paul II ideas, this old thread has compilations of many different ideas. Most are not craft ideas:
Pope John Paul II

Coloring Pages:
::apples 4theteacher
::Pope JP II
::Stained Glass Pattern

I was thinking along the same lines as Mary, drawing on JPII's Marian devotion.

Kitchen Madonna had a wonderful idea to make their own icon, adapting to Our Lady of Czestochowa/Jasna Gora.

Past threads on Our Lady of Czestochowa:
::Our Lady of Czestochowa
::Blessed Mother Notebook Project
::Marian Apparitions? Shrines?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 09 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I noticed at Catholic Cuisine they have the coat of arms for Benedict, not John Paul II.

Here's JPII coat of arms from the Vatican and his motto:

Totus Tuus. This phrase is not only an expression of piety, or simply an expression of devotion. It is more. During the Second World War, while I was employed as a factory worker, I came to be attracted to Marian devotion. At first, it had seemed to me that I should distance myself a bit from the Marian devotion of my childhood, in order to focus more on Christ. Thanks to Saint Louis of Montfort, I came to understand that true devotion to the Mother of God is actually Christocentric, indeed, it is very profoundly rooted in the Mystery of the Blessed Trinity, and the mysteries of the Incarnation and Redemption.

John Paul II in Crossing the Threshold of Hope, Arnoldo Mondadori Editori, 1994]

I also wanted to mention the image of Mater Ecclesiae, which is a mosaic facing St. Peter's Square, the "Mater Ecclesiae" mosaic was commissioned by Pope John Paul II in thanksgiving to the Virgin Mary after his assassination attempt.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aubreypnp
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 09 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote aubreypnp

Jennifer, your posts were so helpful. Thank you so much. If you don't mind, for the future, how do I find threads like the ones you brought to my attention? I originally did a search of JPII on this site but didn't find all of this information which lead me to post my question. I'm new to this. Thanks again! Aubrey

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 10 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

aubreypnp wrote:
Jennifer, your posts were so helpful. Thank you so much. If you don't mind, for the future, how do I find threads like the ones you brought to my attention? I originally did a search of JPII on this site but didn't find all of this information which lead me to post my question. I'm new to this. Thanks again! Aubrey

I'n glad they helped. I did a few searches, "John Paul II" full phrase checked was my main one. It did have a lot of hits, but I remembered a few threads, so was able to scan through and find the ones I wanted. I also searched "Jasna Gora" and "Czestochowa" which made the list smaller and honed in on the threads of Marian devotion and JPII.

Don't ever think that if someone puts up old threads that we're trying to send a message that you shouldn't be asking the question. It's helpful to all of us to discuss again different angles of questions, but also to revisit old threads to refresh and inspire us! There is a wealth of information in our archives, and sometimes they are underutilized, but the new threads are just as interesting. We're just trying to tie it all together!

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I found this JPII Coat of Arms Cake today and thought it was pretty cool!

It's not a craft I guess... but it's pretty "crafty"

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 25 2010 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lacy wrote:
I found this JPII Coat of Arms Cake today and thought it was pretty cool!

It's not a craft I guess... but it's pretty "crafty"

I personally consider cake decorating a "craft". That is so neat!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version