Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Catholic Novels Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

P.s. if anyone has NOT read Brideshead Revisited, do not feel shocked if you complete the story with yawns and annoyance that you wasted your time hoping it would get better. Their are a few of us good, Catholic literary lovers who can't stand the novel. I felt guilty thinking I was the only one for a long time... since it is so often praised in Catholic circles... but I now know others who share my feelings.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I absolutely loved Death Comes to the Archbishop. I read it for book club a couple of months ago. Another Cather's novel I loved was The Professor's House (though it is not particularly Catholic).

This year I have made it my project to read Catholic authors . I have read Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen, The Edge of Sadness by Edwin O'Connor ( loved, loved this one), and several Graham Greene novels (whether Greene is a Catholic author is debatable by some, I guess). Another Catholic novel I liked was The Red Horse by Eugenio Corti. Last year, I read A Canticle for Leibowitz and The Death of a Pope (a thriller). And I also read Robert Hugh Benson's Lord of the World (eerily prophetic).

P.S These are novels I have enjoyed. I am not recommending them for children.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

knowloveserve wrote:
Elizabeth Goudge's Eliot family trilogy is back in print! (Though I hate that the covers have photographs rather than a sketch or design that doesn't ruin my imagination...).

I think I will ask for these for my birthday. My favorites!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Natalia wrote:
I absolutely loved Death Comes to the Archbishop. I read it for book club a couple of months ago. Another Cather's novel I loved was The Professor's House (though it is not particularly Catholic).

This year I have made it my project to read Catholic authors . I have read Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen, The Edge of Sadness by Edwin O'Connor ( loved, loved this one), and several Graham Greene novels (whether Greene is a Catholic author is debatable by some, I guess). Another Catholic novel I liked was The Red Horse by Eugenio Corti. Last year, I read A Canticle for Leibowitz and The Death of a Pope (a thriller). And I also read Robert Hugh Benson's Lord of the World (eerily prophetic).

P.S These are novels I have enjoyed. I am not recommending them for children.

Loved Canticle for Liebowitz... and I'm not huge on sci-fi typically speaking. Red Horse is on my shelf on my to do list.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

knowloveserve wrote:

Loved Canticle for Liebowitz... and I'm not huge on sci-fi typically speaking. Red Horse is on my shelf on my to do list.

Red Horse is quite an undertaking but it is worth it!

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

aforb001
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote aforb001

Knowloveserve wrote:
P.s. if anyone has NOT read Brideshead Revisited, do not feel shocked if you complete the story with yawns and annoyance that you wasted your time hoping it would get better. Their are a few of us good, Catholic literary lovers who can't stand the novel. I felt guilty thinking I was the only one for a long time... since it is so often praised in Catholic circles... but I now know others who share my feelings.     

My sister felt exactly the same about this book, so I have skipped reading it. And I am not a Flannery O'Connor fan either, and she is a highly acclaimed Catholic author. There's too many good books to read that I don't feel that I'm missing out not reading these.

TryingMyBest
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote TryingMyBest

knowloveserve wrote:

I didn't enjoy the book either but I've never met anyone who didn't love the 1980's mini-series. It's excellent although probably not appropriate for children. For those of you who've not seen but remember 1980's mini-series, don't be scared off. It's so well made, not soapy at all (well, the story itself definitely has soapy moments).

Back to Top View TryingMyBest's Profile Search for other posts by TryingMyBest

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

You guys all need to get start Well-Read Mombook clubs! I met the founder at a conference and she is doing an amazing service. Not all the books are by Catholic authors, but the themes are explored from a Catholic perspective based on the roles women fulfill in their lives. Check it out.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Coming back to add some younger novels that my 11yr old and under have enjoyed.

Lost in St Peter's Tomb - Diane Ahern The first in the series. Definitely light but fun, the children enjoyed it.
Olivia and the Little Way - Nancy Carabio Belanger and there is a sequel. My dd 11 read this and really enjoyed it, I haven't but it sounds sweet and inspirational
The Orphans Find a Home - Joan Stromberg another with a sequel and the author has written a few other titles too. Dd11 recommend this one too (another I haven't read)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 05 2013 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Re-reading all the recommendations here, gee we had a great chat

I'm now looking for novels for my boys; 14, 16 and 18. Any new recommendations? Not just for boys, this is my go to chat here

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

*Lindsey* wrote:
Have you ever read any of the books from the Mary Foundation? I have all 3 and really like them.

Pierced by a Sword

Conceived without Sin

House of Gold

It's $1/book and you can donate more if you want.

Would you say these would be suitable for a 16yr old boy?
Reading reviews and trying to decide.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It's been quite a while since I read them but I know that there is some sexual "talk" I forget how much you "see" happening and what you just know about.. it's part of character development and if I remember right, you also see the characters not recieving communion and going to confession about it..

I would recommend reading it first but it might be ok depending on the 16yr old.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
Lenora Mattingly Weber
Beany Malone Series

What age would you recommend these for?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

JodieLyn wrote:
It's been quite a while since I read them but I know that there is some sexual "talk" I forget how much you "see" happening and what you just know about.. it's part of character development and if I remember right, you also see the characters not recieving communion and going to confession about it..

I would recommend reading it first but it might be ok depending on the 16yr old.

Sounds like an interesting book, perhaps more for my dd. Dh read the reviews on Amazon and decided ds would prefer this book I found over at love2learn. The review of The Edge of Sadness made us decide it is more his kind of book.

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version