Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Catholic Novels Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2010 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

Have you ever read any of the books from the Mary Foundation? I have all 3 and really like them.

Pierced by a Sword

Conceived without Sin

House of Gold

It's $1/book and you can donate more if you want.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Brideshead Revisited

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Erin wrote:
Wonderful lists, keep them coming I have some questions about some of them later. I notice most of these titles are for older children/adults though. Is there much out there for the younger child, tween, young teen?

The Michael O'Brien Series is definitely geared toward a very mature teen (IMO) or adult, depending on family preferences. Some of the novels are heavy with the callousness of human nature...and one of them even goes into the struggle of an antagonist who has h*mose*ual tendencies...with that being said, EVERYTHING is in line with the Magisterium.

His writing is absolutely gorgeous--the diction alone is priceless. I peel through his books. "Fr. Elijah" is a great place to start.

I LOVE the Carmen Marcoux book "Arms of Love" for a teen who might be interested in the courting/relationship scene...a beautiful read. But Mom might want to read it first.

CAUTION: "In This House of Brede" scandalized me a bit, though, I am a very sensitive soul. There is an overture of one nun to another...though, nothing amounts to it, it was, for me, painful to read...and unexpected.

Though, it was a good novel...but not anywhere nearly as good as the O'Brien novels.

I am not sure of the Father Brown mystery series? THough I have heard good things about those...

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Maggie

*Lindsey* wrote:
Have you ever read any of the books from the Mary Foundation? I have all 3 and really like them.

Pierced by a Sword

Conceived without Sin

House of Gold

It's $1/book and you can donate more if you want.

These were my first taste of Catholic Fiction! They are wonderful!

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 30 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged Quote Belle

My Dd and I stumbled across Regina Doman the other day. WE haven't yet read her books, just the first chapter online from the first book. (We were tempted to read the first chapters from all the books, but since some of them continue on from each other we decided not to ruin it. )

She really likes what we read. (I thought it was okay but found the repetition of the word "mother' quite irritating, as I tend to do with all words that are used too often in literature. )

I think the thing I liked best on her website   http://www.fairytalenovels.com/ was the Ink and Fairydust ezine. It's beautiful!
Back to Top View Belle's Profile Search for other posts by Belle

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Belle

Regina Doman's trilogy book are indeed beautifully written. Trying to remember if your dd is 15 or younger? I would recommend you read them too, we have managed to live a fairly protected lifestyle in many ways and there were more mature issues introduced to us through Regina's books. Very well done, in good context, but I was pleased I also read them so we could discuss them. I will be honest when I admit Midnight Dancers wasn't to our taste at all, but it produced some discussion.

Do you know about Book Depository? Free postage to Australia! Try here

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 01 2010 at 4:44am | IP Logged Quote Belle

Thanks Erin.

I liked the way she did the first chapter overall-- topic wise. I thought she must have a lot of mature issues just from that. But thanks for the heads up. We've actually been tackling a lot of more mature issues in Drama.

I bought the book Cooking with Hamlet. It's a bunch of monologues written by Sue Murray. I figured monologues were perfect for the homeschool drama class! And the idea of Hamlet as a TV cooking show was just brilliant in my mind, however, there are a lot of mature issues discussed in her monologues. (And not from a religious perspective either.) But I do encourage my kids to talk about these things and tools they have to avoid winding up in those situations.   (Which is obviously a whole other topic! )

Yep my Dd is just shy of 15. She adores fairytales. We fell hoelessly in love with the Ink and Fairydust eZine. Full of Jane Austen goodness!

I love the book depository. I use booko.com.au it gives me the best deal in AU$ and where to get it. It usually is the book depository. Sometimes the UK and sometimes the US version.

Thanks again. I think I will definitely get those books. When I was little the Twelve Dancing Princesses was my favourite fairy tale. (But what else would you expect from a little girl whose grandmother is/was a ballroom dance teacher!)
Back to Top View Belle's Profile Search for other posts by Belle

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 01 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Hey now - don't forget these titles reprinted from the same series that some of Bethlehem Books and Lepanto reprint from:

Sword of Clontarf by Charles Brady
The King's Thane by Charles Brady
Ship's Boy with Magellan by Milton Lomask
City of the Golden House by Madeleine Polland

and soon to be released (in two weeks or less): Chuiraquimba and the Black Robes by Madeleine Polland; and in another month: Cross Among the Tomahawks by Milton Lomask. Children of the Red King by Madeleine Polland (not a specifically Catholic story, but a story of the last Irish chieftan to hold against King John) in 3 months.

Just a little plug

You know for those of you in Australia, you can get these from your local bookstore since I do distribute worldwide through Baker and Taylor. HOWEVER, I am about to switch to a new distributor who will make it even easier to get the books in local bookstores and libraries. (so you may want to wait until I can get them all loaded up to the new distributor - oh, it may take me all summer!)

What about the novels published by Ecce Homo Press. They have a new one out - Search for the Madonna, which I am reading now. Pretty good so far.

I would love to publish contemporary authors, but I'm too small probably to attract a new author, and I'm looking for the quality of Madeleine Polland.

And if any of you know of great Catholic fiction that is out of print, please suggest it to me!
God bless,
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 01 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

margot helene wrote:
Hey now - don't forget these titles reprinted from the same series that some of Bethlehem Books and Lepanto reprint from:

Sword of Clontarf by Charles Brady
The King's Thane by Charles Brady
Ship's Boy with Magellan by Milton Lomask
City of the Golden House by Madeleine Polland

and soon to be released (in two weeks or less): Chuiraquimba and the Black Robes by Madeleine Polland; and in another month: Cross Among the Tomahawks by Milton Lomask. Children of the Red King by Madeleine Polland (not a specifically Catholic story, but a story of the last Irish chieftan to hold against King John) in 3 months.

Just a little plug

I'm glad you did, Margot! I just recently was searching for books and realized you had some wonderful reprints! Were these originally Clarion books?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 01 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

JennGM wrote:

I'm glad you did, Margot! I just recently was searching for books and realized you had some wonderful reprints! Were these originally Clarion books?

YES! I had it as a goal to reprint every one--at least every one that the other publishers didn't have. Getting there . . . and a little side-tracked. Children of the Red King is not a Clarion, but it was Madeleine Polland's first book for youth and is very good.
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

Faithr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 02 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Faithr

Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge. Unfortunately the latest edition is riddled with ridiculous typos (so bad you find yourself laughing out loud at the unintentional humor!). I don't know what the editor was doing, obviously, not actually editing. So you might want to find an older edition of the book.

For those who like contemporary American novels, I like a lot of Jon Hassler novels.   He is/was (I think he passed away recently) uneven though. I hated one of them about a priest, but many others were quite good. My favorite besides the Staggerford related books is The Love Hunter. The protagonist struggles with so much sin and then at the end he learns what real love is.
Back to Top View Faithr's Profile Search for other posts by Faithr

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 17 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Re-reading through this thread, what a great conversation we had Anyone found any goodies since then?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

rcarter
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 18 2011 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote rcarter

By What Authority by Robert Hugh Benson is another great one. Makes you wish it didn't end! I think that it is kind of like the sequel to King's Achievement, but just in a vague kind of way.

Married to Bill 8/4/01
Mom to ds 9, dd 8, dd 6, dd 4, ds 1 and baby due 7/11!!!.
Back to Top View rcarter's Profile Search for other posts by rcarter

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 30 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Erin wrote:
Belle

Regina Doman's trilogy book are indeed beautifully written. Trying to remember if your dd is 15 or younger? I would recommend you read them too, we have managed to live a fairly protected lifestyle in many ways and there were more mature issues introduced to us through Regina's books. Very well done, in good context, but I was pleased I also read them so we could discuss them. I will be honest when I admit Midnight Dancers wasn't to our taste at all, but it produced some discussion.

I wanted to bump one of the threads where Regina Doman is recommended. I still would recommend her but her newest book "Rapunzel Let Down" deals with very mature content.. premarital sex, rape, homosexuality (characters, not approval, and very much a side issue) , some characters with crimanally twisted thoughts... it is handled well but is very mature. I am letting my 16.5 yr old read them. I think she can handle them. And we'll talk about it too. Still well written and keeps a Catholic perspective.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

I too will be looking at this thread with interest.

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Karen T wrote:
Not necessarily for youngers, and this might have been on one of the lists people linked to, but I wanted to mention

Willa Cather as an author. I don't recall My Antonia being a Catholic novel, but Death Comes for the Archbishop was, and Shadows on the Rock had Catholic characters.

I just finished My Antonia and I read Shadows on the Rock this winter. Totally loved Shadows on the Rock! I was so disappointed when it was over. It's a great book to read when you're studying early american/canadian history with the kiddos! LOVED LOVED LOVED this book!

My Antonia was great too...as all of Cather's books, but Shadows was amazing!

I also read Illuminations: a novel of Hildegard von Bingem which I also really enjoyed. There are some "iffy" parts, but for the most part the author explains them in the back of the book.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Suzanne, that's interesting that you loved Shadows so much - it was my least favorite of the Cather books I've read! I'm not sure why, there was nothing wrong with it, just didn't grab me much. My fave is Death Comes for the Archbishop.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Karen T wrote:
Suzanne, that's interesting that you loved Shadows so much - it was my least favorite of the Cather books I've read! I'm not sure why, there was nothing wrong with it, just didn't grab me much. My fave is Death Comes for the Archbishop.

And, Archbishop is my least favorite!    And, you and I have had the "same taste" over the years, so this is funny to me.    

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Maggie wrote:

CAUTION: "In This House of Brede" scandalized me a bit, though, I am a very sensitive soul. There is an overture of one nun to another...though, nothing amounts to it, it was, for me, painful to read

After I read House of Brede, I read Godden's novel "Pippa Passes." That was enough for me from this author's adult novels. It's a coming of age story and while the lesbian was one of the villains, it was not enjoyable to read...

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Elizabeth Goudge's Eliot family trilogy is back in print! (Though I hate that the covers have photographs rather than a sketch or design that doesn't ruin my imagination...)

A Miracle for St. Cecilia's is a pretty sweet, very light-reading book. Katherine Valentine has a few more books in this vein.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version