Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Landmark Book series resource list Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 09 2011 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

AmandaV wrote:
I guess I never got back on this thread and thanked you both for your insights - so sorry! Thanks, that was very helpful!

I think it was that third trimester tiredness kicking in...

Well, I'm due any day and my parents visited and brought us Leonardo da Vinci by Emily Hahn, which was my mother's as a child. So neat! Its in very good shape. I guess I saw it as a girl at our home, and others, but didn't remember that they were Landmarks. I'm going to preview it before giving to my 7 year old or reading aloud, but do you know off the bat of any concerns? He's currently very interested in flight, gliders, Wright Brothers, etc. after reading Childhood of Famous American's Neil Armstrong, so I think he'd be interested in the flying machine da Vinci designed.

And apparently my grandfather bought quite a few of them when their kids were little, so she's going to look around on the shelves for more. I'm very excited!

Isn't that funny? I rummaged on my mother's shelves and didn't realize how many books she had of different series that we try to search for copies and read. Hope she finds some more.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MommyD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote MommyD

My mother just bought my son "The Swamp Fox of the Revolution" by Stewart Holbrook. It is published by Sterling Point books. I looked on Amazon and I guess Sternling Point books is now publishing the Landmark books. I don't know if they are as good but the book she sent us was pretty good. Don't know if that helps anyone .
Back to Top View MommyD's Profile Search for other posts by MommyD

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MommyD wrote:
My mother just bought my son "The Swamp Fox of the Revolution" by Stewart Holbrook. It is published by Sterling Point books. I looked on Amazon and I guess Sternling Point books is now publishing the Landmark books. I don't know if they are as good but the book she sent us was pretty good. Don't know if that helps anyone .

That is one great book! My brother read and reread our copy.

I don't see all the Landmarks being reprinted at Sterling, so I'm wondering if it's by an author and their copyright agreements. Otherwise, Random House is still doing Landmark, although they are revising the originals.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

What is the appropriate age/maturity for most of the Landmark biographies? We just purchased 2 used paperbacks, Abe Lincoln and Thomas Edison. Any thoughts on those and on a 7 year old reading them? Are there any issues with content? He's reading at at least 4th grade level, probably higher. I wouldn't be reading aloud in most cases unless they were pertinent to our particular studies. This would be for free reading.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 30 2011 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

Jen I knew you would be the one who had this! I am following Creation to Present timeline and was looking for this online!!!! Thank You!!! (I know that's a lot of exclamations but I am really happy) Now I will just have to go through the Vision books I have on my shelf. You saved me a bunch of time. Do you think it would be wrong for me to write the dates on the spine for easy reference? I guess I could order tabs from the library supply website...

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

AmandaV wrote:
What is the appropriate age/maturity for most of the Landmark biographies? We just purchased 2 used paperbacks, Abe Lincoln and Thomas Edison. Any thoughts on those and on a 7 year old reading them? Are there any issues with content? He's reading at at least 4th grade level, probably higher. I wouldn't be reading aloud in most cases unless they were pertinent to our particular studies. This would be for free reading.

Amanda,
His reading level is probably fine, it's the maturity to understand and relate to many of the ideas in the Landmark books that might be more difficult for a 7 yo. The books are very well written, and the ones we have read have all been quite engaging! I think my older children began reading them independently around 9/10 mostly because I don't usually begin a formal introduction to history topics until that age.

Content wise, I can't think of anything of concern. Skim the book, and ask yourself if this would be too much (depth) for your 7 yo (subject matter, ability to understand context of the situations, historical period, culture). Give the book a try if you like. Let him read through it very slowly. Sit down with him and enjoy his narrations. If he's enjoying the book (which should be abundantly clear one way or the other through his narrations), let him continue enjoying it! If he's overwhelmed, (seems) bored, not able to offer you too much in terms of narration - that's fine!!! Just save the book for another year when he's a little older!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

imcatholic wrote:
Jen I knew you would be the one who had this! I am following Creation to Present timeline and was looking for this online!!!! Thank You!!! (I know that's a lot of exclamations but I am really happy)

So glad this was a help then, Beth!!!

imcatholic wrote:
Do you think it would be wrong for me to write the dates on the spine for easy reference? I guess I could order tabs from the library supply website...

I have an ongoing project ordering and referencing my Vision books....well, all my liturgical year books, really. The books are arranged by their Feast date within the Church year on my shelf. On the spines, I am using my label maker and I label the century and setting, placing the label on the spine. This could be done just as easily with tape and a sharpie if you don't have a label maker. This helps me see at a glance the historical context of my liturgical year books so that they can be read liturgically, historically, or geographically. I began this project in earnest a few months ago, but life interrupted. I need to finish up! With my teen's help, this shouldn't take more than an afternoon or two to finish up!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

imcatholic
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote imcatholic

I did find an old post with the complete list of Vision books @ Love 2 Learn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 30 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bump! for Bump a Favorite Thread Thursdays

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Any thoughts on Will Shakespeare and the Globe Theater? here

Is it accurate? we are doing Mater Amabilis Level II Year 1 with my 4th grader and beginning Shakespeare studies. I have the Rosen and Stanley biographies from my library but as my son is an advanced reader I wondered if the Landmark book might be a good addition/substitution for him to read on his own. We recently bought about 5 old ones from a vintage book store here and he read about three of them in a day or so on his own - US history related. So he'd be fine on reading level.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2015 at 3:37pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Just a little bump to say that after some lot buying and combing Living Books Libary's and others' duplicate sales, we now have about 30 landmarks, along with 8 signatures, one North Star, and a few others of the same caliber. (and an ebay lot of Science I can read books). And I have to quit buying for a little while...

Did anyone ever merge saints bios, signatures, Landmarks, etc. into one spreadsheet?

And I recently heard of American Background series as well, I think through JennGM on the MA facebook group. I would love to add those to our collection as available.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 11 2015 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

AmandaV wrote:
Just a little bump to say that after some lot buying and combing Living Books Libary's and others' duplicate sales, we now have about 30 landmarks, along with 8 signatures, one North Star, and a few others of the same caliber. (and an ebay lot of Science I can read books). And I have to quit buying for a little while...

Did anyone ever merge saints bios, signatures, Landmarks, etc. into one spreadsheet?

And I recently heard of American Background series as well, I think through JennGM on the MA facebook group. I would love to add those to our collection as available.

Amanda, I haven't combined a list, but I highly recommend the book Reading the Saints for multiple lists of Catholic books and series on saints and history figures. In the 50s and 60s there were several series of books -- it seems every Catholic publishing house had their own: Clarion, Banner Books, Catholic Treasury, Hawthorn Junior/Catholic Digest, Holy Cross, Encounter, etc. and this book puts them together on a timeline. It's weak in some areas -- I would not be including St. Joseph Picture Books or Little Book of Saints, but would prefer only chapter books, and some of the organization isn't great, but it's a great reference point.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version