Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Home Education Retreat-at-home Ideas Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 25 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We're winding up our short break that we take between school years. We school mostly year-round taking off a short 4 week break for me to plan and tidy and work on a few projects. I'm finalizing my plans and getting the learning room reorganized with fresh baskets set out. It's been a very full few weeks and I thought a refreshing home education retreat might be invigorating for me! I've planned a short time of retreat for myself as a reward after I finalize my plans and get the learning room tidied and re-organized!

I need to retreat-at-home!! So, here's what I've planned:

** Simply Charlotte Mason's new seminar out on DVD - The Books and Things.

** A pretty, fresh idea notebook for myself to journal ideas I might uncover during the seminar. I went to Michael's a few weeks ago and splurged on some new scrapbook papers for creating the year's notebooks (updated versions of these)

** A new tea

* ~ *

I know I'm really doing this backwards - it makes sense to retreat and inspire first...then plan and work.    But that's just how I work sometimes - backwards.    I like to reward myself for getting the detail work done with some fresh idea inspiration.

There are so many different things you could do to invigorate and freshen with an at-home retreat - read a great home ed philosophy book, rearrange spaces, watch educational philosophy DVD's, listen to inspirational audio books or mp3s. Here are a few more ideas I thought of that would make fun and inspiring at-home retreats:

Simply Charlotte Mason
They offer some other seminars on DVD that would be great for an at-home-retreat: Laying Down the Rails Seminar and DVD and All Day Charlotte Mason Seminar on DVD would be great!

Something on your shelf
I thought it might be great to pull an under-utilized resource off my shelf and spend some time really digging into it in order to make better use it.

Catholic mp3/audio resources
There's so much you could choose from, but a great start would be to check out some of the REALLY GREAT mp3s available from Family Centered Press. These are perfect for carving out a reasonable amount of time to sit and listen, take notes, sip tea, and find inspiration. I especially love and heartily recommend Joy for the Asking, Joy for the Keeping by Rachel Watkins! This one is worth a quarterly revisit!!!

* ~ *

So....any other ideas for home education retreats-at-home? What do you do to invigorate and freshen ideas before you begin a new year? Do you do anything special or set-aside?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

That sounds wonderful Jen! What a beautiful way to start a new year off on the right foot.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 25 2010 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I like this idea. I realized while reading your post, Jen, that I have been having an in-home educational retreat and didn't even know it!

I have been reading some ed. philosophy books that have truly inspired me for next year. The two that really put a spark in my thoughts are "Beauty for Truth's Sake" by Straftford Caldecott (this is for Classical Education) and "When Children Love to Learn" by Elaine Cooper (CM.) I was raring to get back into top shape after reading these books.

For me, reading curriculum can be inspiring depending on what it is. This weekend I received "Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings."   Wow! What a phenomenal literary guide. I have been reading it ever since I got it in the mail. I am so pumped about litearay discussions now. I cannot wait until we start this (sadly, it won't be until the fall of 2011 )     Reading through curriculums or programs can help you be a better teach you as it guides you through the teaching process.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JuliaT wrote:
I like this idea. I realized while reading your post, Jen, that I have been having an in-home educational retreat and didn't even know it!

Hey, that's great, Julia! See...you just need a glass of your favorite refreshing beverage and voila...retreat!

JuliaT wrote:
I have been reading some ed. philosophy books that have truly inspired me for next year.

This kind of reading really inspires me as well!

I think this short break of ours has been an intense time of consideration and planning because of the natural fullness of life right now, so it is probably a motivational tool for me to call it a *retreat-at-home* and carve out a little time set aside. It's something I'm really looking forward to!

Anybody else retreat-at-home like Julia? Anyone else do a little home education retreat-at-home? Am I missing something important? Something simple? Other ideas?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

This is a great idea! Have you started watching your DVD yet? I'd love to hear how you like it - particularly because you seem to be a seasoned homeschooler with a great grasp on the use of books already - what attracted you to the program?

We have two weeks of school left, and then our schoolroom needs an overhaul. For our first two years of homeschooling, we used our breakfast room. I absolutely loved it: it sets out from the rest of the house with windows on three sides, overlooking the deck and gardens with views into the surrounding woods. All day, we could watch nature at work. Our floor plan is very open, with the kitchen and family room flowing into the breakfast room. We could sit on the couch for devotions and read-alouds, grab a snack from the kitchen, etc. The only draw back for *Me* was that it was becoming untidy-looking with a growing body of short bookcases (so as not to block the view ) and books almost always covering the table and/or chairs. So, at the end of last year, I pondered moving our schoolroom to our guest room. I asked what she thought of the move, but encouraged her to consider all of the "amenities" we would be leaving, and without hesitation, she said that "all of that is nice, but it is also a burden" - because she found it very distracting. Well, I think you could have knocked me over with a feather, because I didn't realize this at all!!!

So, we moved into the guest room. I tried to make it nice - we had nice bookshelves made and I found a nice (small) table for us to use. It is still a bright, pretty room with a nice view from two windows, but we are very, very cramped. Well, this is really a problem for *me*, not for my daughter. But, it has actually been a problem for my mood and for my efficiency.

The room has a queen sized-bed which takes up most of the room. We do need to have somewhere for guests to sleep, so I am thinking of getting a daybed or a sleeper sofa which would clear a good bit of space for us.

At this time last year, I had made all of my curriculum decisions and purchases for the upcoming school year. I have held off doing that this year because a) I very much overplanned and b)I really need to reorganize our room so that we can function efficiently and c) I also want to re-evaluate our goals and research approaches to attain them.

All this to say, that I think that an At-Home Retreat is probably a great way to get started on this.

I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone's retreats are going!
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Oh, boy!
I am ordering the "Books" seminar tomorrow!
Already have the others

I like the Catholic Audio blog for quickie audio's for me. And I can find them by category too -
Not exactly a retreat, more like a treat

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I love this idea. I have been "on retreat" for several evenings now with Mary Ann Budnik's book: Raise Happy Children. Raise Them Saints".

It has been very inspiring for me. I also find that I am needing quiet time just to think about so many things. In the sweep of busy days, I feel like I rarely get to have my brain to myself. I would like to continue my quiet evenings for the next few weeks...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Fabulous idea, Jen. The CM seminars look really good!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

jenncatan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 28 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote jenncatan

Great idea.

We are wrapping up our school year and we are all in need of a break. We had a very snowy winter and now that the sun is finally out we are ready to be outside (without sleds in hand).

Thank you for the CM seminar suggestions.

Does anyone have any other favorite homeschooling books or DVD/audio's that they would suggest.

This isn't homeschooling but a favorite of mine is Peter Kreeft's audio on Beauty.
shocking beauty

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 29 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Great idea, Jen! I love my little at-home-retreats! It usually means a few nights all-to-myself once the girls are in bed EARLY and my husband is either out-of-town or at the gym!

Here are a couple more ideas I may do in a month or two, once my planning is complete and I am feeling better from morning sickness:

:: I plan on diving into a few of these very meaty articles from the Childlight publication of The Review this summer. Gets me excited about CM whenever I read these!! And, also there are a couple conference talks from Childlight that I've enjoyed. There is a conference coming up, so there may be 1 or 2 new ones up in the next month or so.

:: Masterly Inactivity and Education Is.... always help re-invigorate me to re-dedicate myself to this lifestyle!

:: At least a couple chapters from When Children Love To Learn is always on my summer-list.

:: Pocketful of Pinecones is a fun book to read that is "light" and motivating for me also.    

:: Peruse Charlotte Mason Study Guide, by Penny Gardner. Love her CM quotes in this!

:: This year I think I'll get a French Silk Pie and sit on the couch with DH and go through a couple of the girls' notebooks together and their blogs....to look at some of their work and narrations to see the progress! Which I always forget that we make!....

:: And, curling up on the couch to do my all-time favorite thing........searching Booklists and Online Booklists with no absolutely purpose at all!!!!

Of course, a glass of chardonnay is necessary, as well as a scrumptious salad with goat cheese and pine nuts! And, perhaps a little dish of tiramisu to top it all off!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 29 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Jen, thanks so much for starting this topic...and thanks to all who are chiming in.

I have haphazardly taken breaks...shut down other activities to plan...or rejuvinate...and I tend to mix all of the needed duties into one time. I really like the idea of carving out time for me + one duty/home education. And I really like the yummy food and drink part

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Tina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 29 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Tina

This is an excellent idea, Jen! I rarely make it to local homeschooling talks and "ladies nights out", so this would be perfect for me, too. I am going to have to take some of these ideas and do a little planning and make a night of it. Can't wait, now!    

Back to Top View Tina's Profile Search for other posts by Tina Visit Tina's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

So,Jen. How was that retreat?
Did you enjoy The Books and Things? I'm thinking of ordering it myself, but want to make sure it is goping to be worth the $$$.
Also, any thoughts on the All Day CM Seminar?

If anyone has seen both, which would you recommend to re-invigorate an old-timer like me?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 26 2010 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

lapazfarm wrote:
So,Jen. How was that retreat?

I'm so glad you bumped, Theresa!

I had been saving this in my inbox because I wanted to update!

My retreat-at-home was absolutely fantastic!!!!! I really enjoyed refreshing some of those ideas that really spoke to me all those years ago!

DianaC wrote:
This is a great idea! Have you started watching your DVD yet? I'd love to hear how you like it - particularly because you seem to be a seasoned homeschooler with a great grasp on the use of books already - what attracted you to the program?

I really wanted to answer your question, Diana! I never forgot...just kept getting busy with our full little life!

This retreat-at-home has been fantastic for me. Though I've been home educating from the start, and I've got 3 in the learning room now and we're into our 10th year, I need this shot in the arm! I need to stay in touch with the philosophies that ground me!!! I felt like some of the ideas and philosophies that spoke to my heart and our home, though still solidly in place, seemed a little clouded or far off, or somehow not as vivid as they once were. I hadn't lost faith in them...I just wanted to re-connect. In reflecting, I realized that with each year, I might look at an aspect of a philosophy to focus on...so I might look at one part of something closely, but not the whole. That's what I needed - to be re-invigorated by *the whole* philosophy that is really foundational in our home -- Charlotte Mason, living books, education as atmosphere, discipline, and life. My retreat accomplished that and it's wonderfully invigorating and inspiring!!!! Side note...though Charlotte Mason's philosophy really forms our days, these seminars could be helpful for anyone that seeks to emphasize living books in their home. You certainly don't have to be a purist to enjoy them!

lapazfarm wrote:
Did you enjoy The Books and Things? I'm thinking of ordering it myself, but want to make sure it is goping to be worth the $$$.
Also, any thoughts on the All Day CM Seminar?

If anyone has seen both, which would you recommend to re-invigorate an old-timer like me?

Theresa,
I really enjoyed The Books and Things! Much of it would be a review for you, but it was for me as well, and I still enjoyed it. Here is an idea of what to expect in The Books and Things:

** Introduction - Education is the science of relations, the child forms a relationship with books, things, and ideas that are communicated
** Choosing Living Books - Characteristics, Finding
** Using Books - How CM used them, key points in their use, sample schedules from CM days (VERY, VERY helpful to me in planning & executing our own day)
** Using Things - physical exercise, 4 principles for handicrafts, the benefits of an education on books and things
** 4 Ways to Destroy Your Child's Desire for Knowledge
** Samples: of booklists, living books, twaddle, oral lesson, sample of a term of work from the PNEU

Now, I also re-watched my All-Day Charlotte Mason seminar and enjoyed it tremendously!    It's just a great all-round seminar on the key points of CM philosophy. Though I really liked and learned a lot from Books and Things, I preferred the All Day seminar! There's so much meat to it! It is not Catholic in perspective, and that should be noted, but the instances that this was noticeable at all were few and far between, and certainly recognizable. I was thoroughly helped by the review as I watched and made notes through the seminars!!!! There were things I'd forgotten, or perhaps not made use of as I could have. It was completely invigorating.

For the money, Theresa, the All-Day Charlotte Mason Seminar would be my recommendation. If you're looking to learn about or incorporate any of Miss Mason's philosophies in your home, I think you'll find this presentation practical, enjoyable to watch, and very educational and helpful. It was for me...but then...I'm an unabashed CM fan!

Another general note...these DVD's which represent the Charlotte Mason philosophy do not express methods or ideas which are complicated or contrived. In fact, it is quite the opposite. The methods are ideas; ways to approach education. That's why I think they'd be useful for anyone embracing a living learning lifestyle. The philosophy requires no ridiculous investment of time or money spent, nor is it rigid or exclusive in its approach. It is truly quite simple and I am reminded of so many areas of overlap - common areas we all share. There are no special books needed, or uniform texts to drive the ideas you'd read about. At the heart of it all is Charlotte Mason's belief that the mind grows upon ideas and those ideas are found in "inspiring tales, well told" - a living book. That expression is probably shared by so many of us - even those that do not necessarily embrace a Charlotte Mason philosophy in our homes.

There. I'm done!

How's that for a review???

Whatever you do for an at-home-retreat, I can't recommend the time spent enough! I enjoyed the short bursts of concentrated time and was grateful for the inspiration and invigoration that will translate into our every-day...and I know will bless our days! And...I loved adding tea and treats to my special retreat times!

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Wow Jen, I would really like to see these talks! Maybe when the money tree sprouts I can get these...I am putting them on my wish list. Too bad you can't just get wonderful food for thought like this from the library! Sometimes you just want to be fed as an educator and a parent. It is hard to find this inspiration elsewhere..maybe that is what is so wonderful about treasure..uncovering it!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Did Rob take the children out while you retreated? How did you make it work logistically?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

saigemom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote saigemom

I just wanted to add that I bought the All Day Seminar last summer for my "retreat" and I loved it. Although, I will say that I got more out of the second half of it since I am well aquanted with the CM method.

I am now a HUGE fan of Simply CM. I have the planning DVD, which has really made planning so much simpler.
Back to Top View saigemom's Profile Search for other posts by saigemom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Jen. Great review.
As you may remember, I was a CM homeschooler for many years before we added Montessori and then unschooling into our days. We seem to have seasons when different approaches work best for us. And though I am sure I will continue to lean toward unschooling as an ideal, right now I am feeling the pull to get back to my CM roots for a while. I think this seminar may be just the thing to get me back in my CM groove.

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2010 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:

This retreat-at-home has been fantastic for me. Though I've been home educating from the start, and I've got 3 in the learning room now and we're into our 10th year, I need this shot in the arm! I need to stay in touch with the philosophies that ground me!!! I felt like some of the ideas and philosophies that spoke to my heart and our home, though still solidly in place, seemed a little clouded or far off, or somehow not as vivid as they once were. I hadn't lost faith in them...I just wanted to re-connect. In reflecting, I realized that with each year, I might look at an aspect of a philosophy to focus on...so I might look at one part of something closely, but not the whole. That's what I needed - to be re-invigorated by *the whole* philosophy that is really foundational in our home -- Charlotte Mason, living books, education as atmosphere, discipline, and life.

You know... I didn't chime in on the beginning of this thread because I wasn't sure I ever took "retreats". I mean, there never seems to be a time in our lives that I can say, "stop" and set aside as a definitive "retreat". But what Jen writes here is exactly what I have been experiencing for the past few weeks, and to be honest (as weird as it sounds) spending 4 days in the hospital after a C-section partially zonked on pain meds has, for me, functioned partially as a retreat... in combination to the here and there reading I have/had been doing for the past few weeks. I think, for me, it has really been a matter of getting back to my homeschooling roots, too... reading the same books that led me to homeschool in the first place and shedding a lot of the layers that have acumulated in the intervening years, some of which have been complicating my life with little payoff.

Anyway, after reading and thinking and then heading to the hospital... I brought my iTouch with me and tried to pray as much of the Divine Office as I could. I have the iPieta app, too, which includes a gazillion prayers, novenas, etc, in addition to the text of the Bible and many other writings, including St. Francis de Sales _Introduction to the Devout Life_. I found the Litany to the Infant Jesus and began praying it because, well, it did seem appropriate. But I have to say that I think praying that litany helped to clarify my homeschooling vision more than anything else.

I'm not sure exactly what my point is here, but... I did want to share my experience of retreating in the middle of life, and how it has helped to reinvigorate me in some tough times.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 26 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

If anyone is willing to lend me this set for a short time, please PM me...I will pay postage and make sure it is well cared for!

TIA!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version