Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Online Booklists Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 02 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

We've been discussing Books About Books and now Angela's question about compiling booklists has me pondering about online resources.

What online booklists do you go to when; planning a new topic, looking for literature suggestions or are after solid reviews?

And where to you 'store' these lists? In a bookmarks folder or somewhere else?
Being an 'out of sight out of mind' person I have mine posted on my blogs.

My standbys are:
Emmanuel Books
Bethlehem Books
Reading Your Way Through History
Treasure Chest for Tweens
A Catholic Mum's Guide to Books
Books for Boys

For the Older Reader
101 Great Books - For College Bound Readers
Great Books Academy - Good Books List

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Thank for these links, Erin. I always forget to check my online resources!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Angel

I think most of my online sources come from the sidebars of blogs. I really do check out what other people are using. So I've used Dawn's sidebars for seasonal picture books for my little guys, Jen (Mackfam)'s sidebars for liturgical books, nature study, etc.... your Aussie Book Threads site, Erin... the sidebars of Shower of Roses for liturgical books...

I tend to jump on blog book reviews, too. I star them in my google reader, but I really wish I could sort my starred items into folders. For those I keep up with:

Semicolon
Mental Multivitamin
5 Minutes for Books
Reading my Library (picture books)

I mean, among all the other blogs I read which occasionally feature book reviews, book lists, etc. (Erin, I depend on your blog to see what your older boys are reading!!!)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 03 2010 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I love online sources for booklists!!! Since most of our literature/social studies/religion is read through living history books, most of our booklists are historically organized and read in the context of where they fit in time/history. I'll add a few more to the ones listed. I use these a lot!

** Erin mentioned Reading Your Way Through History but did you know that there is a Reading Your Way Through History blog? It's great and information is sorted nicely.

** Bethlehem Books Historical Timeline

** RC History offers their book recommendations through St. George Books. What's great about their store/site is that they have very nicely arranged their book recommendations chronologically and from there by age appropriateness. That means you can find book recommendations for the entire age spectrum in your home and you'll all be studying the same time period in history with books appropriate to the specific ages!!! Very helpful in building lists!

** I look through the offerings at Learning Through History Magazine. I look at their back issues to see which ones coordinate with the period we're studying. Their magazines are rich in terms of offerings - there are articles for every age. Each article offers a TREMENDOUS recommended booklist that coordinates. Amazing resource. (not exactly an online source...hmmmm...maybe this belongs somewhere else?)

** Don't forget the treasures at Katherine's blog - The Bookworm: History and The Bookworm: Geography

Not booklists, but great online sources for studying and building a history scope.

** The History Guide is really great for consulting. I've found some great resources through this site!

** The Treasure Chest of Facts and Fun Comics - this list is sorted by subject. All the comics are available for viewing online. They're fun! (HT to MaryM for finding this - I've used it ever since she linked it!)

** Don't forget to add movies to your scope. I love using Netflix for this! History in the Movies is a great site to consult (caution: not all movies here will be appropriate for young children!) I also like Love2Learn at the Movies and Movies Catholics Love to help me supplement an appropriate movie that fits historically.

How do I organize these online resources?

BOOKMARKS!!!

I love organizing my bookmarks!! I have collections and sub-collections and sub-sub-collections. If I'm starting to build a booklist I go to my History bookmarks and from there choose from different periods or general online resources. I have printables organized there as well. This reminds me...I need to go tidy up my bookmarks before I get started building booklists for next year!! Just so you know, I'm using Firefox 3.5.8 (latest version) and I prefer their bookmark organization as well as their stability.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angel wrote:
(Erin, I depend on your blog to see what your older boys are reading!!!)

Really?!! In that case I should really write up a big list of older boys' book rec's I've been thinking of it.

I LOVE all these links/lists! I'm going to have to add them all to my list Thank you Angela. And Jen! Wow, what an amazing list of lists (just had to say it like that )

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Yes, Erin, you do need to write up that big list. Garrett's almost done with his current set of books.

Jen -- off topic question, but... Is Learning Through History magazine only written for moms/teachers, or is it for kids as well? (I have looked into subscribing so many times, don't know why I haven't.)

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2010 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

heee... maybe when you're not so busy, jen, you could organize my bookmarks for me? i am pathetically disorganized when it comes to my bookmarks. they are ALL.OVER.THE.PLACE.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Angel wrote:
Jen -- off topic question, but... Is Learning Through History magazine only written for moms/teachers, or is it for kids as well? (I have looked into subscribing so many times, don't know why I haven't.)

Any age can read the articles in magazine. At the end of each article there are always a few books listed, by age, for more research. Everyone in my home enjoys reading them.

You should know that the magazine is no longer being published. You can order back issues, however, and he is still sending out monthly emails with information.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 27 2013 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

BUMP!

I come back to this all the time when looking for books. It's a great compilation of all those online resources for book/reading lists.

Please add any new ones that you don't see listed!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version