Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: First Holy Communion attire - girl Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 16 2010 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

My Mary Grace is receiving First Holy Communion (5/16) and I am finishing up getting her things.
Have you seen the insanity that passes for FHC dresses and accessories these days. It's like tiny bridal stuff! And crazy expensive!

Her dress was made for my Goddaughter by her mom and grandmother, she picked the pattern (it is amazing!) and has been worn by Caitlyn(duh), my daughter Elizabeth, Caitlyn's sister Rebekah, and now my Mary Grace will wear it. I am embroidering all the girls names and the years they received on the inside.
Elizabeth is super thin (like a chopstick) and I had to put 2 big darts and 3 bunches or ribbon ties in the back to keep it on her. The ribbons all hung down and it was lovely, and stayed on. Rebekah has CHARGE syndrome and has a big tummy/chest area becuase of all her surgeries - she had a long veil to cover the inset in the back zipper area to make it fit her, it fits Mary Grace perfectly, but I am going to add some pearl beading to the sleeve and neck area.

I have purchased a First Communion veil from Catholic Home and Garden that I really like, and so does Mary Grace, but it is not typical. What do you think of it?
If she changes her mind I can always make her another one, but she often wears a veil to mass so this ought to be great.

Ebay was my saving hope with some great socks (white with ruffles - the dress is floor length so it doesn't matter much, but still), white lace gloves, and a slip.
I really, really want to get her a cape - but we live in FL so that would be a little silly, and her dress has long sleeves . I am thinking white ballet flats (the real ones) with pearls sewn on for shoes.

I shot an email off to hubby - it had a link to this dress and said "Just in case you were starting to think I am spending too much, this is the dress I would have bought" He called and was cracking up.

We are making her purse, I have a hankie from her great grandmother, am I missing anything?

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

TxTrish
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 16 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote TxTrish

Oh, yeah! I meant to share this link.

Did you ever see anything like this First Communion Apron?
What a brilliant idea!

My Blog

"Duty before everything, even something holy"
St.Padre Pio
Back to Top View TxTrish's Profile Search for other posts by TxTrish

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Trish,

I think you got everything. We got our dd7 her flats at Payless; here they are and they fit very nicely. They also have one with and ribbon bow on it.

Sounds like she is set!!!!

Congrats and many prayers for that special day.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 16 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I know that some of the more fancy bridal looking stuff is very popular in certain cultures. Though the dresses do get passed around too.

I made a fairly simple dress for my oldest daughter.. and when my second daughter was the right age.. before I had a chance to sit down with her and figure out what sort of dress to make her.. her and her older sister came to me.. they wanted the second daughter to wear the same dress as her older sister.

So now 3 of my girls have worn the same dress.. and it's put away for my youngest girl in a few years as well.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

JodieLyn wrote:
I know that some of the more fancy bridal looking stuff is very popular in certain cultures. Though the dresses do get passed around too.

I made a fairly simple dress for my oldest daughter.. and when my second daughter was the right age.. before I had a chance to sit down with her and figure out what sort of dress to make her.. her and her older sister came to me.. they wanted the second daughter to wear the same dress as her older sister.

So now 3 of my girls have worn the same dress.. and it's put away for my youngest girl in a few years as well.

My grandmother made my dress almost 30 years ago and when my daughter was getting ready I thought she would wear my sister's dress but it was huge on her. Then my sister suggested my dress and it was too short but my grandmother added a panel to it and it fit her perfectly!!!
Just last month my younger daughter wore it again!( I'm going to change my avatar so you can all see it)

Such a great tradition and I LOVED my dress so it was nice to see it on my daughter

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 17 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I don't have any dds, but at ds's FHC parent meeting, the DRE spent a TON of time going over the requirements for the girls' dresses (no bare shoulders, no open back , down to knees-at least, and so on.) I was stunned at this strong reminder, until I was out shopping and actually took a look at what the department stores consider appropriate clothing for this major religious event. I mean, they are marketed at FHC dresses, but there is not much innocent to be found in the majority of them. I didn't even look at the price tags.
Then I heard this story about a group of young girls preparing for their FHC and their dresses.
How neat that some of you have your dresses to share with your dds.
Prayers for your FHC girls!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 17 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

What is the purpose of the FHC apron? It looks neat but I am puzzled by it. Is it to cover the dress during the reception to protect it from punch stains? Or is to make a plain other-colored Sunday dress into a FHC outfit? I have seen similar tabards given to children who were just baptized--the white garment received at baptism.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version