Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: favorite common practices Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 15 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We're another family that loves games. I can't believe I forgot that one. It's an everynight thing among the kids. They might not all play but there's always somebody asking "Who wants to play _____?" I love it.
My husband and I sometimes join in the game, but it is also a nice time for us to just sit and chat about things. Our current "all together game" is Apples to Apples!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

sunnyviewmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 15 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote sunnyviewmom

Our whole family favorite is Apples to Apples as well. (We have the kids version but its fun for all.) We also like Snorta which is a bit goofy but really requires thinking and concentration.
Back to Top View sunnyviewmom's Profile Search for other posts by sunnyviewmom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Angie Mc wrote:
"If you were stranded on an island..." topics related to living books.

If you were stranded on an island - picture books

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 28 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've been thinking about this and what a common practice is

Quote:
Readily available.
Easily integrated.
Easy to do - doable for most.
Done often within a family.
Done across/parallel within a group of people/s.
Done across time, space, and culture.

I especially like the last one.. so things like

writing
arts and crafts of all kinds
stories (fairy tales, fables, etc)

Are things that different educational systems might use.. but aren't limited to that.. are rather things that they use but did not invent.

And really this is alot of what we do when making our homeschools Catholic. We make common Catholic practices part of our schooling.. using the Bible, using prayers, using the stories, the feasts and the fasts.

And of course there's also many common practises that aren't particular to a religion or philosophy but rather to people, to society (like the above mentioned movies and games and such)

The only thing, I think to be wary of, is using practices that might rely too heavily on a conflicting religion or philosophy.. but even then, sometimes it's how it's used, not that it's used.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 28 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angie Mc wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

Living books - Incorporating a wide variety of living books in our days has yielded a lovely variety of subjects my children are conversant on. They become familiar with different styles of writing, settings, viewpoints. Incorporating this rich variety communicates a liberal education which I believe to be very valuable. It's not a classical education, but it does have many elements which are common.

I know that books and book reading are common. Choosing living books deliberately and with intention, perhaps that's less common. I wonder. I do know that living books are very common in our home and I feel very blessed to have become aquainted with the concept of living books and to receive help over the years with choosing excellent titles.

Angie,
I've been pondering this for a bit. Living books. Is it common? I thought so, but I admit your post allowed me to wonder a bit. After pondering, I still think, YES! It's common.

Taking a look at what we've considered as *common*:

Readily available. check
Easily integrated. check - even if you aren't intentional and allowing living books to communicate the majority of educational ideas, you probably integrate a few into your days.
Easy to do - doable for most. check - see your local library, and living book lists are readily available across the internet
Done often within a family. check - read alouds come to mind
Done across/parallel within a group of people/s. check
Done across time, space, and culture. check

I did a little looking around - almost every educational philosophy enjoys and finds value in a *living book*. (for purposes of this discussion, I'm defining a living book as an "inspiring tale, well told," full of "worthy thoughts," and "inspiring ideas and pictures of life." -- all quotes from Parents and Children, Volume 2, Charlotte Mason.) For example, even a homeschooler who enjoys and makes use of a more traditional, boxed, textbook driven philosophy will still find *living books* peppered throughout as recommended and to some extent even required. The way in which a living book is used will probably not be as common, but I think there is common value found in the *living book*.

What do you think?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 28 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

lapazfarm wrote:
Creative expression: mainly art, but also writing, play-acting, photography. So many ways to get those creative juices flowing.

Oh! Us too! Creative expressions stretch the imagination - the list is probably miles long, but things like crafts, painting, knitting, sewing, sculpting, and even projects like building or engineering from an idea - all of these invite expressions of creativity. These are common practices to me. Many of them I consider so valuable that I nurture their place in the day.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2010 at 1:03am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Creative Expressions - I like that. Yep, in the science arena this happens all the time at our place. I didn't think to include it so much as an example of our favorite practices because I presumed Common Practices had to be something most of the family was doing all together at the same time. In our house Creative Expressions are the children - and we are the last to know (sometimes I think it is by intent so that we don't nix a project). I guess you could say that I learn a bit in the aftermath so maybe it is more family than we thought.

So we recently watched October Sky about Hickum, the rocket scientist. In the process, we discovered that our son had been working on a rocket (long before we watched the film - though he did get a few more ideas). He also got some ideas on various propellents from an old book he was given at Civil Air Patrol. He is waiting for dad to agree to fire test it now that the secret slipped out (I think youngest was telling one of the religious sisters who asked me about it and .... . ( Not sure when or if this will happen - depends on dh view of the safety - and likely height of the thing but at least ds knows he must wait for dad's supervision on this).

Today we had a flight simulator going across the kitchen - string, airplane with some sort of hook device like on A/C carriers. Son also demonstrated his whimshurst - and dad discovered one of his drill bits serving as the peg. We also discovered that he might be generating a bit more static electricity than we are comfortable with. Dh has another project to investigate.

So - Creative Expressions .... definitely!

Big chores (house repairs, yard work, gardening, etc. are also learning experiences - again these are not always all together but often they are and when they are we learn not only specific skills, trouble shooting, etc. - but also teamwork. Now if we can only more effectively apply this teamwork to the more mundane, everyday chores.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version