Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Craft guilt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 23 2006 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I was inspired to make playdoh the other night because of this thread. I got out the ingredients, let the baby make it with me, and handed it over to the 5 kids so that I could make dinner in peace. It was a bit gooey, but usually as it cools it gets better, so I didn't worry much.   

Well, apparently that 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar that I didn't have really makes a big difference! We ended up with playdoh on the table, dining room chairs, floor, bathroom cabinets, sink, toilet, towels, and best of all the couch which is the ONLY piece of sitting furniture we own that is not a dining room chair!

But, I'm a slow learner, so we put it in the tupperware for the next day to keep the littles happy during formal school time. I let them get into it without checking, and it was more like slime by that point so we had a near replay of the night before except for the couch.

I refuse to give up. Tomorrow Bill is buying Cream of Tartar at the commissary so we can make a new batch.   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2006 at 11:41pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Rachel May wrote:
Well, apparently that 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar that I didn't have really makes a big difference!   

We have used a great play dough recipe that doesn't include cream of tartar. I wonder if there is something in the Kool-aid powder that serves the same function in this recipe as the cream of tartar in others.

Here is the recipe - not only do you not have to add food coloring, it smells great too!

1 cup flour
1/2 cup of salt
1 package Kool-Aid
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup boiling water

Combine flour, salt, and Kool-Aid. Add oil and boiling water. Mix together and knead until smooth. Let cool. Store in refrigerator.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Dawnie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Dawnie

Mary M,

I made the play-dough recipe you posted for the kids tonight and it worked great! Is this the kind of play-dough that needs to be stored in the fridge, or is an airtight container at room temperature ok?

Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2006 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I do store mine in the refrigerator. It seems to last longer that way. Glad it was a hit.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Now, what's the texture difference what the dough recipe above to the classic flour, water and salt recipe? This one was the one we used to make dough ornaments for years, and I used for raised maps also.

Ds can't play with store brand PlayDoh nor the recipe above because of allergies to wheat. I saw a recipe on Clabber Girl Corn Starch and was wondering if anyone has success with it? How is the texture compared to say, real PlayDoh, above recipe, etc.?

Kids Play Clay

1 cup salt
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
Food coloring (optional)

In a medium saucepan, mix salt and 1/3 cup water over medium heat, stirring occasionally (about 3-4 minutes). Remove from heat, add cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Add a few drops of food coloring, if desired. The mixture will resemble mashed potatoes. Stir till thickens, cool, then knead on a board or countertop that has been lightly dusted with cornstarch. Store unused play clay in refrigerator in a sealed container with a damp sponge.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

jenngm67 wrote:
Now, what's the texture difference what the dough recipe above to the classic flour, water and salt recipe? This one was the one we used to make dough ornaments for years, and I used for raised maps also.

I don't know how it would compare for making dough ornaments - I've never tried to harden/dry it.

Our Domestic Church

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

We don't have koolaid in the house either! But I am putting it on the list since I like the idea of the yummy smell, and I'm never happy with how the food coloring turns out.

Jenn, if I ever get my sofa clean, I'm going to test your cornstarch concoction and see how it cleans.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version