Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: ALL Ye Lands and Sea to... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 27 2006 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

MicheleQ wrote:
Bookswithtea wrote:
I've never even heard of the The World's Story by Elizabeth O'Neill. I ran a quick search on the net but couldn't find it.
~Books

I found one here .

And here is another. Both are from booksellers in the UK, but international shipping is not usually too bad. Ironically, the copy I have came from the US!

We would probably have opted for this book for MA if it was easier to get. Story of Mankind is a lot tougher, and recommending it for 6th / 7th grade as we have done is pushing it a bit. Some kids would be fine with it, others wouldn't (my dd who will be the equivalent of 6th grade next year for one!). One of the criteria we gave ourselves for MA was to use only books that are in print, and if at all possible, books that are available in both the US and the UK. We broke our own rules occasionally, but only if an out of print book was widely available. The World's Story isn't . Later today I'll try to copy out a short extract from each book for comparison.

In case you are wondering ... we considered All Ye Lands, but decided against it for some of the reasons already mentioned here - too textbook-ish and a slightly jumbled mix of history and world cultures rather than a straight history book. Also, when I saw a review copy when the book first came out I skimmed through some of the British history sections and several errors jumped out at me, leaving me wondering how accurate the rest of the book was.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2006 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Two thumbs up for Our World's Story!

I just got my copy yesterday (all the way from a used bookseller in the UK never done that before!). Its more informative than OWA, way more interesting than AYL, and written in a conversational tone that is charming. It reminds me of SOTW but its more detailed and I think its perfect for jr. high age.

I skimmed the middle ages chapters and the influence of the popes and saints is written in such a way that it just takes for granted that the Church was influential. I haven't seen anything anti Catholic. I'm looking forward to a cup of tea and reading the chapters on the reformation and the counterreformation.

Thanks so much, Kathryn and Michele, for recommending this book. I told my kids they *better* be careful with it...the school bookplate in the front is dated 1932!

~Books
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Quote:
Thanks so much, Kathryn and Michele, for recommending this book.

Glad you like it . I do think it is funny that you bought your copy from the UK and I bought mine from the US!

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

I saw a book listed by the same author and I was wondering if it were worthwhile...it is called Stories that the World Tells Us. Ever hear of that one?

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2006 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi everyone. Danda sent me this message as a p.m. because she wasn't sure how to post it on the boards. We chatted, and she asked me to post it for her (here).

First of all, welcome, Danda! How about this rain!?!

Danda wrote:
Hi Dawn. I'm having a difficult time figuring out how these forums work. I think I just quoted you and posted it
I'm much better at online chat. I noticed you're from Ma and considering ALL Ye Lands. I am too. I think
I like the textbook feel.   I have a 5th grade daughter. We did some Ancient Egypt this year mostly reading historical fiction. I don't feel like WE learned a lot and am looking for something a little more hard core. A friend of mine recommend The Story of the World for next year. I want to get a text and kind of stick with it. Is the Story of the World appropriate for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade or is something like All Ye Lands better? That's my question and I'm hoping this gets to you. If you want you can post this since I can't seem to figure out how to do it! And if this happens to get posted to the group and anyone wants to bail me out(no pun intended even though we've had about 5 inches of rain) feel free and thank you!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Danda
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 16 2006 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Danda

I've read through a lot of posts and I came up with another alternative. Have you ever seen or heard anything about "The Old World's Gift to the New?"

I'm wondering if anyone can compare AYL with that?
Back to Top View Danda's Profile Search for other posts by Danda

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Books,

Now that you have had some time with Our World's Story, do you still like it? Could you possibly send a copy of the table of contents?

We are looking to study some of the ancients this year and looking for a good spine book.

Greatly appreciated!

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2006 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Hi there. :-)

I bought it mostly to use this fall, which means I've done a lot of skimming but very little using it yet. I haven't read the chapters on the ancients at all because when I bought it we were deep into the middle ages. My plan is to make heavy use of it from the 1600's through maybe 1900? It stops off at "modern times"...which is 1932! lol

Table of Contents:

The Coming of Man
The Jews and the Phoenicians
The Greek
The Athens of Pericles and Socrates
The Greek Colonies in the West
The Peloponnesian War
The Last days of Greek Independence
Greece and Macedonia
The Rise of Rome
Rome and the Celts
Rome mistress of Italy
Rome and Carthage
Rome and the East
Last days of the Roman Republic
Early days of the ROman Empire
The Barbarians and the Empire
The New Nations
The Beginnings of Mohammedanism
Charles the Great and the Holy Roman Empire
The Days of the Northmen
The Great Pope Hildebrand
The Crusades
The Monks and the People in the time of the Crusades
The Thirteenth Century
St. Dominic and St. Francis
The Black Death
The end of the Middle Ages
The Beginnings of Modern Times
A New World
Christopher Columbus
The Reformation
The Counter Reformation
England and Spain
The Seventeenth Century
The Pilgrim Fathers
The Agie of Louis XIV
The East of Europe in the Seventeenth Century
The Eighteenth Century
The Story of India
The Story of Canada
American Independence
Australasia
The French Revolution
The Story of Napoleon
The Remaking of Europe
Africa--the Land of Mystery
The story of China and Japan
Our World Today

no time to proofread...hope its readable!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 20 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Ok Books,

The Table of Content was PERFECT!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post. This was very helpful.

Again "Thank you".

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2006 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote ALmom

When I tried to order the World's Story by Elizabeth O'Neil, it was already sold. Guess I was too slow - but I do have Our Old World Background and also an Ancient History high school text so I guess we'll have to wing it some with RChistory. I'll keep looking at ideas posted here as I am branching out into more projects oriented history due to my dc interests. I'm a much more sequential freak and my least favorite aspect of school were the projects. I preferred research papers, so this is going to be tough on me though better for the kids.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

fsuadamson wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to post. This was very helpful.

You are welcome. Good luck trying to find a copy. I told my son he better be careful with it or else! lol

ALmom wrote:
I'm a much more sequential freak and my least favorite aspect of school were the projects. I preferred research papers, so this is going to be tough on me though better for the kids.

Janet

I hear you, Janet. It can be frustrating when our kids' learning styles don't match our own. I'm still struggling with that issue, to be honest with you. I just finished reading a thread on The More the Merrier about making non RL homeschooling choices partly just to make life simpler when hsing a crowd (I'm behind on all the conversations from being on vacation). Very very encouraging thread for me. I'm trying to balance everyone's needs and wondering myself about how I am going to match learning styles and still make sure that we make some progress every year.

~Books

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

Books:

I hear you. I think I'm balancing things by combining in the history and science and keeping everyone on the same general topic and combining as much as I possibly can - using different children's passions to inspire the rest of us. Any projects that get done will realistically have to be self-directed on the part of my high school project oriented child - but I wanted something that offered suggestions and ideas to start the ideas flowing. We'll see how it goes. Everything sounds grand at the beginning of the year.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

ALmom wrote:
We'll see how it goes. Everything sounds grand at the beginning of the year.
Janet

lol Isn't that the truth! Every year I plan less than the year before, in hopes that I will have to do less tweaking in order to feel like we've accomplished our main goals. I think I have "overplanning-itis" ...the ridiculous compulsion that if I create a full schedule and follow it, then my children will have a near perfect education.

In reality, it seems like when we cover the basics and take the rest of the subjects more gently with a "less is more" philosophy, we have a much better year, and they also seem to retain more. I am less likely to suffer discouragement in January, this way, too!

~Books

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2006 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Sorry to get in on this so late, but in addition to The World's Story and the book by Van Loon, what other books would be good to use as a spine that both an 8th and 6th Gradercould use together? I currently own Old World and America, but I have also heard of (as someone mentioned above) about The Old World's Gifts to the New. Would either of these be acceptable alternatives?

Thanks in advance and God bless,

Tea

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

DonaJean
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 07 2006 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote DonaJean

I too am joining this thread a little late. I have just joined this forum (which I stumbled upon...I elaborated in my intro).

Books...I have always been interested in your advice from the other forums I see you posting on...I also bought (on your recommendation) The World's Story by Elizabeth O'Neill. It has not come yet. I ordered it June 29. Books....I have a few (well more than a few) questions to ask you. Actually pick your brain. Last year I think you were in the same position I am now with an upcoming 6th grader and decisions on how I want to do World History. I tried to send you a few messages but they bounced back. IF you have the time do you mind sending me a pm?   

Someone mention Mater Amabilis so of course I went there and I really like what I saw. Didn't know that existed.. Doing both World and American History together looked interesting but I just did up to the Civil War with my 11yo. Decisions...Decisions

Well enough rambling. I am new here and am off to look at other topics.
Back to Top View DonaJean's Profile Search for other posts by DonaJean

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2006 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

DonaJean wrote:

Books...I have always been interested in your advice from the other forums I see you posting on...I also bought (on your recommendation) The World's Story by Elizabeth O'Neill. It has not come yet. I ordered it June 29. Books....I have a few (well more than a few) questions to ask you. Actually pick your brain. Last year I think you were in the same position I am now with an upcoming 6th grader and decisions on how I want to do World History. I tried to send you a few messages but they bounced back. IF you have the time do you mind sending me a pm?   

Someone mention Mater Amabilis so of course I went there and I really like what I saw. Didn't know that existed.. Doing both World and American History together looked interesting but I just did up to the Civil War with my 11yo. Decisions...Decisions

Hi there! Saw your intro. Welcome to the forums here. This is a wonderful place. Where in Eastern WA are you from? We lived in Spokane several years ago for a little while. Beautiful area of the country.

I was just flipping through The World's Story again the other night, planning for the fall. I still like it. I'm so grateful to Kathryn and Michele for telling me about it (thank you!). I will say that I think the chapters need to be taken slowly. It has a bit of a conversational style that could be hard to follow if the child was expected to cover a lot in one sitting. And I noticed that the section on India is sooooooo out of date that it was written before Ghandi and assumes that Britain will remain in control! Anyway, I would be careful with the last few chapters. I'm thinking about using Modern Times for the 20th century. Seems to be from a solidly conservative perspective, which I want at this age level.

I have never done history the way MA recommends it. I'm going to try it this fall, I think. My poor ds...he is my guinea pig. I don't always do the same thing with my second that I have with my first. I'm still wading through world history myself, plus I got very behind last year when we made a cross country move while in the 3rd trimester of my 5th pregnancy. I'm hardly an expert. But I'm happy to help if I can!

~Books

DonaJean
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote DonaJean

Books
We are in Yakima. I grew up in the Yakima Valley so I love being back.

Books I still can't send you my questions...your inbox here is full.   

I was thinking of doing History the way MA recommends too but my 11yo did Am History last year up to the Civil War so it would be a repeat.
Back to Top View DonaJean's Profile Search for other posts by DonaJean

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

DonaJean wrote:

Books I still can't send you my questions...your inbox here is full.   

I was thinking of doing History the way MA recommends too but my 11yo did Am History last year up to the Civil War so it would be a repeat.

Oops! I didn't know it was full. I'll do some deleting, k?

How about covering American History after the Civil War, then, for your Ntl. history thread?

~Books

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I'm probably going to use From Sea to Shining Sea as a spine for my 8th grader this fall for American history. I noticed Ignatius press sells a teacher's manual (listed as a beta) but the publisher (Catholic school's textbook project is the page I was looking at ) doesn't list one. Has anyone used this, and did it add anything to your studies with this book? I already have a list of living books to add in with the text; it's more to keep us going in a chronological manner and keep me from missing key parts.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

12stars
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 26 2008 at 3:16am | IP Logged Quote 12stars

So the concensus is that All Ye Lands is just too textbooky and as I am gleaming over it I am finding it to be so I am sad now because I thought this would be a favored book.
I just bought it off cathswap and it wasn't cheap.
This is all so new for me I was just sure that this was going to be a good fit for my dd. Sigh. I am going to have make it work.

And on top of it all I am going to sound like a dork but what does spine mean?
That you can use it for more than 1 child at the same time?

Back to Top View 12stars's Profile Search for other posts by 12stars Visit 12stars's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version