Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: What Books About Books Do You Have/Want? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I love books about books. I love reading all those lists and lists of books I glean ideas true, but I also enjoy looking at all the exciting places and people we have yet to meet.

I write notes on mine (only in pencil of course) ticking which ones I have, initialing which ones my friends have (they give me borrowing privileges) and which books my library has. No I haven't memorised my library's catalogue only my friends.

I thought I'd introduce you to my books, giving you a brief peek inside

1)For the Love of Literature – Maureen Wittman

- An empowering introduction, Maureen really speaks my kind of book language.
-It is divided into Literary Guides; art/music, math, history, science.
-Then each has sub-sections ie. African history and time period, Asia etc
-Age Recommedations.
-Also included a small blurb about each book. Really vital for me.
-Pages are a crisp white.
-I like all the recommended books.

Can you tell this is my favourite?

2) Worth a Thousand Words, - Bette D Ammon, Gale W Sherman
An Annotated Guide To Picture Books for Older Readers

– This book has authors listed alphabetically but is incredibly cross- referenced.
-References are; subject index, title index and author/illustrator index
-A blurb for each book
-Also included are curriculum ideas for each book to enhance further.

Disappointing was that each author had only one book listed for a him/her. I'm greedy I know.

3) Books Children Love – Elizabeth Wilson

Chapters divided into topics, ie, Geography, Literature etc

-Literature has sub sections
- Has Age recommendations
- Includes book blurbs.

4)Honey for a Child’s Heart – Gladys Hunt

-Age listed
-Then author grouped
-Book blurbs

-Only half is books rest info.
-Paper quality, in today’s media world the duller pages aren’t as attractive as white.

Do you have others to share? Can we have a peek into your books about books?    

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I really like the extensive book list in Michael O'Brien's A Landscape with Dragons.

-It is divided into sections by level of reading ability. Within those sections is it listed by author, sometimes with additional age suggestions.
-It doesn't have much in the way of summary information though for many it does briefly state the topic or subject. That is helpful for ones that are for a historic time period. I wish it did that for all.
-It also indicates if currently in print (or OOP).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I haven't had a lot of use of it yet.. but I have All Through the Ages by Christine Miller.. which lists a variety of books by historical era and grade level.

I believe it's a protestant book.. but there's a lot of overlap.. and I love the help it provides because I can look up books I have to help me place them in history or level.. but it also gives me some books to check into (not blindly use) if I'm looking for something in a particular era and grade level.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

MaryM wrote:

I've often thought this a good idea but what about the fact that books can go in and out of print easily?
I've heard that picture books in particular have this issue.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I really like Cay Gibson's A Picture Pefect Childhood for the way she broke down her lists. For example the book has a food related book list, country book list, and holiday list.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erin wrote:
MaryM wrote:

I've often thought this a good idea but what about the fact that books can go in and out of print easily?
I've heard that picture books in particular have this issue.

Yes, it probably only really deals with books that are generally considered classics and in print on a regular basis. That is what I found to be the case.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

There found my copy and updated my above post with correct info.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE TOPICS!!!!!

BOOKS ABOUT BOOKS

In addition to those already listed, I have and really like:

1) Who Reads What When: Literature Selections for Children Ages Three Through Thirteen - by Jane A. Williams

- This is a good listing of basics - the classics. I think of them as "the Good books".
- Lists are sorted three ways - one by age, one by author, one by title. I appreciate the age sorting.
- Great for just starting to build your home library. Not intimidating if you're just starting out.

2) Books that Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories - by William Kilpatrick and Gregory and Suzanne M. Wolfe

- Chapters 1 - 5 offer a really good guide. It's not as good as Landscape with Dragons in this respect, but it is good!
  1. Imagination: The Heart's Best Guide
  2. Example and Empathy
  3. Transport: Seeing with Myriad Eyes
  4. Worlds of Meaning
  5. Selecting and Sharing Good Books: Some Guidelines

- Booklists are arranged by genre and further subdivided by age appropriateness.
- There is a nice summary of plot for consideration which I really appreciate.

3) Books to Build On: A Grade-by-Grade Resource Guide for Parents and Teachers - edited by John Holdren and E.D. Hirsch

- This book is organized by subject area: Language Arts, History and Geography, Visual Arts, Music, Science, Mathematics. From there, grade appropriate recommendations are made.
- Great short summaries of the books are offered.
- K - 6th grade recommendations
- This book offers non-fiction recommendations which I like!

4) Reading the Saints: Lists of Catholic Books for Children plus Book Collecting Tips for the Home and School Library - by Janet McKenzie

- AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!! My favorite book for building a liturgical book library.
- Love that it includes OOP books! The author further indicates if an OOP book is relatively easy to find, which many are, or if the book is difficult to find.
- In print books are listed as well.
- The meat of the book are the booklists which are extensive!!!! They are arranged in two EXTREMELY HELPFUL WAYS:
  • Geographical Setting
  • Chronological Order

- If using these books to weave into a historical period of study, it is so helpful to be able to just flip to the a particular century. The lists are cross referenced! So, if I'm focusing on 3rd century Egypt, I can find a book easily.

5) A Picture Perfect Childhood: Enhancing Your Child's Imagination and Education in 15 Minutes a Day - by Cay Gibson

- A GREAT source for current picture books.
- The author offers some beautiful chapters on why picture books.
- Lists are arranged by theme (of which there are many), which is nice.

And, if it doesn't seem too self-promotional (I'll try to be unbiased and honest). I have and use all the time my mom's book:

6) Let the Author's Speak: A Guide to Worthy Books Based on Historical Setting - by Carolyn Hatcher

- The beginning is a brief and easy-to-read introduction to the study of History with children along with ideas. Written by a Catholic home educating mom, so the ideas offered are very accessible.
- Excellent for designing a study of history using living history books.
- The booklist guides sorted by:
  • Setting
  • Author
  • Title

- The book is extensively cross referenced, so each guide offers the following while sorting by either Setting, Author, or Title:
  • Title
  • Author
  • Reading Level
  • Type of Literature - Realistic Historical, Science, Journal-Essay, Biography, Autobiography, Economics/History, Treatise, Allegory, Fable, Folk Tale, Myth-legend, Fantasy
  • Century

- This book is Out of Print. Say a prayer for Mom and I - a revision with updated and expanded booklists is in the works.

So.... can't wait to see what else you guys have!!! I don't have book 2) that Erin lists - Worth a Thousand Words - but it sounds great!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:

4) Reading the Saints: Lists of Catholic Books for Children plus Book Collecting Tips for the Home and School Library - by Janet McKenzie

- AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!! My favorite book for building a liturgical book library.

I have been wanting to get this one for awhile. And I would love to get your mom's - hope the reprint possibility becomes a reality.

Our Domestic Church

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Here's my little collection, which I guard with MY LIFE! LOVE "books about books!"

::Honey for a Child's Heart...this is the book that got me started thinking about home education right before I met my dh.

I had just met a family who home educated, and the next DAY I was at the library and happened upon this book. I read it that night and was IN LOVE with the concept of days of blissful reading with my future children for the next 20+ years. There WERE a couple problems, however ....oh, just LITTLE things like I didn't even have a husband , let alone CHILDREN to educate! Details, details.... Well, THAT was remedied VERY quickly, wasn't it? Beyond my wildest imagination!

Here are my others which don't all have a "story" attached to them...
::Landscape with Dragons
::Books That Build Character
::The Read Aloud Handbook
::Books Children Love
::Picture Perfect Childhood

On My Wishlist:
::For the Love of Literature
::Reading the Saints

And, there are a couple others above that I don't know about....off to "look" at them!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Mackfam wrote:

And, if it doesn't seem too self-promotional (I'll try to be unbiased and honest). I have and use all the time my mom's book:

6) Let the Author's Speak: A Guide to Worthy Books Based on Historical Setting - by Carolyn Hatcher

Definitely one of my favorite books and in use each year!!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:

Ok, so *now* I understand why you always seem to come up with so many interesting resources... it's genetic!

You know, I used to use my bibliographies a lot more when my kids were younger. Now I seem to mostly look for books for my older kids in curriculum sorts of books, like Well-Trained Mind, etc.

Reading the Saints sounds like a book I ought to have... any suggestions for bibliographies for teenagers? I used to use Books Children Love and The Read-Aloud Handbook quite a lot, but I don't know why I haven't picked them up in a while... could be that they're just in the wrong bookcase, which is usually blocked from view by my mobile Montessori cart...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I'm making lists, they all sound so good.
I wish I could see them.

Can I ask, which one is your favourite?

Angel wrote:
Any suggestions for bibliographies for teenagers?

Angela

Years ago I bought Honey for a Teen's Heart by Gladys Hunt. I sold it again because I wasn't entirely happy with some of her recommendations, but them I was pretty conservative. Now, having older children and not being quite as conservative as I was it might look different. Wish I'd kept it.

Oh Gladys Hunt has also written another book list book, Honey for a Woman's Heart

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Helen wrote:
I really like Cay Gibson's A Picture Pefect Childhood for the way she broke down her lists. For example the book has a food related book list, country book list, and holiday list.

I second Cay's book. I LOVE it.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Thanks, Erin! That is what I'm looking for.

This discussion has spurred me on to go through that bookcase that is "out of sight, out of mind". I'm trying to purge, but am finding some interesting stuff in there!

As I was going through it all, I remembered that over the years I have also used Some of My Best Friends are Books. For some reason I never bought myself a copy, although I have several pages copied from the book... given to me by an educational psychologist/counselor several years ago, I think.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2010 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I have most of the ones already listed, and they are all wonderful. Oh, and the one that started it all for me? Real Learning...

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 02 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin wrote:
Can I ask, which one is your favourite?

I can't pick one. I've been sitting here trying to narrow it down...and I can't even get my list below 4. Really, I use all of these books. They are at my side when I'm planning booklists during the spring and early summer for the next year.

I personally wish MacBeth would write a book compilation of her favorite living books for high school science coordinated by subject and broken down by scope of study. Do you think that's too much to ask? I love her site - I really do - but in the end, I love the feel and security of a book on my shelf to help me plan.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:

I personally wish MacBeth would write a book compilation of her favorite living books for high school science coordinated by subject and broken down by scope of study. Do you think that's too much to ask? I love her site - I really do - but in the end, I love the feel and security of a book on my shelf to help me plan.

Gee, that would be nice...

But you know, y'all are getting to be a little tough on my pocket book. The UPS guy is earning his pay!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Angel wrote:
But you know, y'all are getting to be a little tough on my pocket book. The UPS guy is earning his pay!

Ditto!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I found a couple more at the library that weren't mentioned here:

The Children's Literature Lover's Book of Lists. This is a REALLY GOOD compilation of children's lit from Preschool - Grade 6. I LOVE how it is organized. The Table of Contents is worth looking at on the Search Feature.

If the INTERNET didn't exist, and I didn't have a GREAT library system, this would be a great reference to own! It's geared toward school-teachers, so there are a few lists that are politically-correct.

• A wide variety of genres covered
  • Organized by Grade Level, Theme, and Reading-Level
  • Easy to use
  • Simplify the "search process"
  • Section 4 has "Awards" and Recommended Literature
  • Section 5 has Websites and Teacher Resources

A Literary Education, by Catherine Levison. ".....shares her favorite resources for many areas of homeschooling, including math, poetry, art, science, literature and more. A smaller, simple resource. This would be a GREAT book to recommend to a mom who is new to home education with living books. It's not overwhelming at all, and has a great selection of living books of all different types.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version