Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Rotating Toys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Connections
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Connections

I know a lot of people rotate toys.

How, specifically, does this work in your home?

Who decides?

How often?

Do some toys- like blocks- stay out all of the time?

How many do you allow "out" at once?

Back to Top View Connections's Profile Search for other posts by Connections

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Duplo is our constant in the boys room, and then they each choose two toy types to stay out at a time. I only have two boys choosing atm.

I keep choice baby toys out downstairs (he plays with the Duplo when with his brothers).

We also keep the puzzles in a bin downstairs as well as the wooden train track all the time in the front room.

I figure I can always trump or *strongly* recommend if needed. For instance, I'm about to suggest we rotate out the tinker toys for a while, they are driving me nuts!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We have always out: my daughter's doll house (though this might change soon), the dress up basket, a small basket of baby toys, and the Tinker Toys.

I decide what gets rotated and do it at night. The kids don't usually notice. They do know that a lot of toys are in the basement (they get placed there when they aren't picked up properly as well) and sometimes they want me to bring up a toy. I always tell them they have to pick something to go downstairs and they are cooperative.

Ideally I change one toy every week but I'm not always on top of that.

I, too, would really like to rotate the Tinker Toys out for awhile but my ds5 plays with them for a large part of every day and gets upset whenever I mention it. My project as soon as I'm done here is to fish all the stray TT's from every corner of the play room and then go couch diving for several dozen more.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

When things aren't being played with but only dumped out.. is a good clue to change them up.

We always have out hotwheels.. everything else is subject to switching. My favorite to get switched OUT is the dress up. It's used tons but when it stops getting picked up well it starts driving me nuts... and I figure it won't hurt any of us to have a break

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh and I keep out more toys in winter when we're inside more and very few in summer when they should be outside playing instead

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote violingirl

My 2 boys each have toy bins in their closets- I think we have 12 or 14 cubes total. They are allowed to have 2 cubes in the living room at a time (that's where we spend most of our awake hours, they don't really play in their rooms) and if they'd like something else they are able to trade 1 cube for another.

We have a cube for our wooden train set, lincoln logs, cars, blocks, etc. Like Jodie said, we switch out whenever things are being dumped more often than played with.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We became desperate when every time we walked into our basement room there were toys from one end to the other. The kids weren't even playing with them, just stepping over them. So my husband and I had all the kids down there and we sorted everything into bins. Then we made the rule that there could only be 3 bins out at a time (each of the younger kids picked a bin to start out). Everything else is stored in our storage room. The kids are aloud to switch them out whenever they want. They just say something like "Mom, can I trade the Legos for the Army guys?" or whatever. I usually have to help them switch things because we have them on shelves in the storage room. It really hasn't been a problem at all this way. Since it's in the basement, and I'm not always down there I was worried that they might get into the storage room and take things out without asking, but they never have. I suppose if they do I would have to have a consequence, or our system would stop working. Maybe I could think of some sort of ransom they would have to pay to get their toys back.
Since my kids are a little older 7, 9, and 11, it works to let them decide. If they were all younger I might do the choosing when it was time to rotate.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I too am in charge of the rotating. (When the kids are older, I imagine doing more of a library kind of system, but for now, this works.) The toys that are available for playing with are in a wicker toy basket in the family room. Every couple weeks, I change them out when the kids are napping or down for the night. A few receiving blankets (our poor man's version of play silks ) and a "baby" for each of them are the constants--they never bore of them. I also usually have out some kind of blocks, whether wooden or Duplo. Everything else is subject to change. I keep the extras in the laundry room, where we have overhead cabinets that I use for toy storage.

There are a few toys that never make it into everyday rotation--I set these aside for special play times (when I need a few minutes to accomplish a special project, during a particularly crazy pre-dinner hour, etc.). I pull them out for that brief period and then I put them back. Our felt board, ABC flashcards, some art books, and a few other items fall into this category. (These also happen to be toys that aren't baby-friendly--she is usually in the Ergo during those kinds of moments anyways.)

All of the baby's toys are in one basket. I have the older kids pick a few for her to play with for the day--the rest stay in the basket out of reach.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

We don't really have a system but I'm with Jodie, the dress up drives me NUTS TOO!!!!!!!

We always have out the duplo, Lego bin (these are the smaller ones the girls play with) and the dollhouse. Everything else gets rotated and right now most everything is put away because most day the kids are outside when they have a free moment.

We keep everything extra in our shed. It is a real mission to rotate toys out but we don't have any closets in our 1920's house so its the best we can do

Does anyone have a running list and rotate that way?

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh and rarely do puppets just come inside.. those are ones I pull out for the desperate for a new something for a miserable day outside.. or dh and I get to go out (rare) and here's a fun toy you don't often play with type of thing.

-Sir Walter Scott

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version