Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Special Blessings
 4Real Forums : Special Blessings
Subject Topic: Sign Language DVDs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 15 2005 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Kathleen,
How are things? Any news with Mary Margaret?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I'm going to splurge on a couple of these for my almost 2 and 4 year olds. Next week my big kids will be at VBS and I thought these might be worthy entertainment for the littles.   ( I'm hoping for a small chunk of time to do some projects.)

I can only get a couple. Would anyone who has them tell me which ones are the most fun for the toddler/ preschool age? Naturally, I want them all and can't narrow it down.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 25 2005 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Bridget,
They are all fun! The first three have more basic signs like hungry, help, please, all done, potty. There is not as much music and not as much "zip" in the first three, though they are very nicely done. Rachel, the hostess, hits her stride in 4-6 and there is more music and a little more splash and dash. Personally, I think I 'd get volumes 4 & 5 to own, knowing that your big kids would get a whole lot out of them too. Volume 5 is the entire alphabet with at least a word or two to go with every letter. BUT, I'd try to borrow the rest from the library...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2005 at 5:50am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Great advice from Elizabeth--#5 is definitely the favorite of my girls (4, 7, 10).

#3 is way up there too--they are mad about the Silly Pizza song.

My favorite is #6--the "Shine" song at the end chokes me up every time. :)

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2005 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

We did get #4 and 5, and we are enjoying them so much. My 4 year old and I go around the house singing the songs. Right now she has her dolls lined up on the couch and is teaching them to sign.

Maybe when the baby comes I can get the rest of the DVDs as a little gift for the kids. They'll love it.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2006 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm bringing up an old thread. I found at the used book sale this spring Handmade Alphabet. Ds is 3 in September. He is just eating this book up. He's always making the hand signs and showing people. "Look, Mommy, A for Asparagus." I love seeing him try to coordinate his hand to make the letters.

We don't have speech or hearing problems, but I want to delve into the sign more. Is Signin' Time the next step? Is it too old, too young for him?

Are there other books like "Handmade Alphabet"? We really like the book aspect.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

JennGM wrote:
I'm bringing up an old thread. I found at the used book sale this spring Handmade Alphabet. Ds is 3 in September. He is just eating this book up. He's always making the hand signs and showing people. "Look, Mommy, A for Asparagus." I love seeing him try to coordinate his hand to make the letters.

We don't have speech or hearing problems, but I want to delve into the sign more. Is Signin' Time the next step? Is it too old, too young for him?

Are there other books like "Handmade Alphabet"? We really like the book aspect.

He's the perfect age for Signing Time and you'll love it! I don't know of another sign language book that is done quite like Laura Rankin does this one. I think I posted about this with the alphabet books. Her Handmade Counting Book is OOP I think.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Ditto Elizabeth's Signing Time endorsement--he's going to love it!

Two nice picture books are Simple Signs and More Simple Signs. We love Handmade Alphabet too.

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

I am just now reading this - I have two friends who's children have them....

One child was born deaf and the other was born hearing but lost his hearing due to meningitis - if I remember correctly he was 18 mo old.

Both children are speaking well and Elizabeth, my friend Annette's daughter, was profoundly deaf. Annette homeschools her children (she just had her fifth) so I offer that to encourage you!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Ok, I meant to type...I have two friends who's children have Cochlear Implants....

Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Caroline
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Caroline

We have Signing Time on our PBS station! I just recently discovered it and it's wonderful. My ds has a speech delay so we're hoping to teach him some signs to keep him from being so frustrated.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Do you realize there are 12 TWELVE volumes of these dvds!?? It's overwhelming! My Monk side feels like I should start at number 1, but I'm wondering if I should be random and pick just one of them to start and see.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Hi Jenn,

Our library carries these so why not start checking 'em out before you buy - not that you could go wrong buying them...but just for preference???

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2006 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

ladybugs wrote:
Our library carries these so why not start checking 'em out before you buy - not that you could go wrong buying them...but just for preference???

Maria, of course, excellent advice. I did try to do just that right now. But our county library system is weak. They only have volumes 1-5, 1 or 2 copies each for the whole county. Pitiful

Probably the ones we'll like will be volumes 4 and 5 because I'm only Number 2 in the queue...the other volumes I'm number 5 and 8. I think Gregory will be 5 years old when I get a copy.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We were able to get Volumes 4 and 5 yesterday. I'm addicted. Rachel's voice is fabulous, the music is so great, the visuals and instructions are awesome...we love it. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

I do have some questions, though. As usual...

1) G and K and P seem to be signed differently than "The Handmade Alphabet" which is confusing. Which is more universal?

2) Can a non-signer at the old age of 39 ever learn to sign that fast? The ABC one I just was mesmerized...just that one little phrase "LMNO" I coudn't keep up! Whew!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 12 2006 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Some signs have slight regional variations. I had always seen those letters the way they appear in Handmade Alphabet (including from our tutor who studied at Gallaudet). Perhaps Rachel's way is a Western "accent"?

I've been signing the ABC's since 4th grade and NO WAY am I that fast. Rachel didn't learn to sign until 6 or 7 years ago, but she has practiced a LOT.

Jenn, there's a link on my blog (left sidebar) to a site where you can test your fingerspelling (reading) skills. I still have a really hard time READING fingerspelling.

I did practice LMNO over and over to be able to keep up with the song--I can do it now!

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 12 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Lissa wrote:

I've been signing the ABC's since 4th grade and NO WAY am I that fast. Rachel didn't learn to sign until 6 or 7 years ago, but she has practiced a LOT.

Ahh...but the children can sign that fast. I think that the challenge of keeping up with Rachel and learning all the incidental signs is what make ST work so well for multi-level families. My big kids get different (more) things out of the same DVDs that entertain my little ones.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2006 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I need to stay off the boards. The temptation to buy more and materials is too great. There are just way too many MUST HAVES learning tools that you moms introduce here!

7 day borrowing from the library is not going to quench my son!!

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 18 2006 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Jenny

GREAT NEWS!!

We've been checking out the ST DVD's from our library, which of course have to be sent in from the bigger libraries and then they only have 1-5. I have been telling our librarian how much we la, la, la, la, love ( #4) them. Tonight she sent me an email saying she has just ordered the entire set for our little 'ol library!    Plus, a former teen helper is taking classes at the community and state college to be an interpreter and she is going to contact him about some possible mommy & me classes!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2006 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

4mothermary wrote:
GREAT NEWS!!

We've been checking out the ST DVD's from our library, which of course have to be sent in from the bigger libraries and then they only have 1-5. I have been telling our librarian how much we la, la, la, la, love ( #4) them. Tonight she sent me an email saying she has just ordered the entire set for our little 'ol library!    Plus, a former teen helper is taking classes at the community and state college to be an interpreter and she is going to contact him about some possible mommy & me classes!

That is fabulous!!! So happy for you! Our library only has Volumes 1-5. I'm still trying to familiarize how our library system works...so I can start requesting items for our system.

Our family la-la-la-loves Signing Time, too. I can't believe how much and how fast ds picks it up.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version