Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
High School Years and Beyond
 4Real Forums : High School Years and Beyond
Subject Topic: Teens and Current Events Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I've been really struck the last few days in conversation with family members how little awareness there is that ALL news sources have a bias. I'm sorry if this is blatantly obvious to all of you here and I'm beating a dead horse, but, I plan to really educate my children about this once they are news age. I've seen so many times that people label a source "unbiased" if they happen to agree with the particular bias. I did a fantastic project in high school during an election year gathering a variety of media and finding the underlying assumptions being communicated when the same story is reported in different ways.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

We subscribe to Catholic World Report as I want a solid Catholic perspective - where things are reported current event wise with the whole world in view, with current events in the Church, etc. I don't want anything that is bashing or disrespectful and I haven't seen anything disrespectful in Catholic World Report -honest and unafraid to report on problems, but not disrespectful, imo. With Catholic World Report, we get a better, fuller picture. It's biggest disadvantage is that it doesn't come out in as timely a manner as the weeklies and then there is the shipping so by the time it gets to us, the news can be dated. However, we have found that it often clarifies something we've heard in secular news around here that we knew wasn't quite right. Usually because someone asks us a question - "Did the pope really say such and such?"

We can easily hear or be exposed to other pov via newspapers, TV, radio and conversation. We live in the Bible belt so in any given conversation there are likely to be some current event topics that come up from an evangelical pov - these sometimes coincide with Catholic and sometimes not. We also do not want to exclude current church events or things closer to our heart - struggles of persecuted Catholics, etc.

I've never assigned it or asked teens to read it; they almost always have read at least some. It seems to draw them in. There are always adult issues that are addressed in current events so parents should be comfortable with what is in a given issue before leaving it out for dc.

Oh, believe it or not, another source of some info is IEEE magazines (Acoustics, Physics today, etc. - we learned from one of those about the Israelis kill switch on electronics and it spurred a discussion about what we are doing outsourcing so much of our manufacturing of computer chips and even airplane components and could the Communist Chinese ever exercise a kill switch on us in a conflict. This is certainly not a regular source of current events (it does have a different focus) but there are some very interesting articles addressing current events related to science from time to time for any science fans. You'd have to have other sources of info too, but hey these are not emotional, and have not generally been agenda driven. (I drive the agenda by the direction we take the information - the ponderings we do).

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well I wasn't even looking for it and this link came my way: 25 Great Ideas for Teaching Current Events

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version