Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: Books & Love Stories for Valentine's Day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Saint Valentine

By Ann Tompert
is a nice recounting of the legends of St. Valentine. She explores several of the stories about him- all nicely done and woven together with gentle pictures.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A Life of Love: The Story of Elizabeth Barrett Browning (Mary Logue)

Picture book biography of the poet whose name is synonymous with love poetry. Tells of her early life (homeschooled by mother ) in a family of eleven, illnesses and sorrows, her joys and love of family and friends, and finally the love of Robert Browning and her own young family. Has excepts of her poems throughout.

Have a few more to add later...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Valentine Box (Maud Hart Lovelace) - If you enjoy Maud Hart Lovelace books you should like this one as well. It is in between a picture book and a chapter book - I guess almost a early reader level. It focuses on a girl who is attending a new school who is feeling lonely and worried she won't get any Valentines at the upcoming party. Homeschooled children might not relate to the school aspect, but I do think the universal theme of friendship and belonging will ring true. It's a sweet story.

Things to Make and Do for Valentine's Day (Tomie de Paola) - An earlier de Paola book full of ideas for celebrating Valentine's Day. It is pretty secular with no focus on the origins of the holiday. It has different sections - Valentine jokes and fun (includes hidden picture and tongue twisters), craft and card ideas, party games and food ideas.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

SeaStar wrote:
it is a great story about how one act of kindness can change someone's life.

Always the oddball ~ because by the time I see your posts everyone has mentioned all the really good books ~ I'd like to recommend one that the above quote reminded me of:

The Quarreling Book

I don't know how Valentine-y this book is, but it's one of those circle story books where a family member starts out grumpy and causes a chain reaction of the grumps until the family dog does NOT respond in kind and turns everyone's grumps into loving, kind actions toward each other.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up... there are some really lovely books in this thread.

I have been searching for anything new to add but haven't come up with much. There is one new book on St. Valentine that came out in Dec 2013,
The Story of Saint Valentine but there are no reviews, and the preview is very brief.

Has anyone read it?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Big Sister and Little Sister by Charlotte Zolotow - This book would be good in the spring or summer too, but I like to read it in February because of the relationship between the two sisters. My two eldest thoroughly enjoyed this book when they were little and have fond memories of me reading it aloud to them on an almost daily basis.

The Holy Twins: Benedict and Scholastica by Kathleen Norris - Not only is St. Scholastica's feast day celebrated in February, but this story tells of the love between St. Scholastica and her twin brother, St. Benedict of Nursia.

A Kiss for Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik - I simply think that this is a sweet book for February and a good one for beginning readers.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2014 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

What a great topic! Thank you   

Happy Valentine's Day!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version