Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: What's Your Word for 2010? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

donnalynn wrote:
I am looking for a word that evokes a sense of getting things done in a timely manner.

Any suggestions?

Anything better than "timeliness"?

How about Obedience?
The heart of obedience is saying yes and doing things right away... not when it's convenient...

but Chop Chop also works

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

donnalynn wrote:
I am looking for a word that evokes a sense of getting things done in a timely manner.

Any suggestions?

Anything better than "timeliness"?

Git-R-Done

...yes I've lowered myself to quoting Larry The Cable Guy...

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Cay Gibson wrote:
Mimip wrote:
I have been thinking and praying about this since I saw your original post and have struggled and struggled to find a word.

But I dont' think it should be a struggle to find a word. Should it? I completely understand the desire to have a word right now really I do. Tonight marks the beginning of a new year. But last year's thread wasn't even begun until after the new year had begun. Remember, God's time is not our time. As humans though we need this routine, these markings of time. Praying in Adoration is a good thing. But when the word comes to you it will come as a "whisper."

Mimip wrote:
...but now that I think about it I really like Servitude

This is the word I thought would be mine for 2010. And there is no reason I can't try to focus on that one as well. But, being such a weak, lowly human, I need a word that tugs my heart, pulls me back to reality, centers me...and the word "whispered" to me is "simplify."

That's exactly what happened last year with Joy it came in a whisper.   I'm with you Cay, to get through the year, we need a word to tug at our heartstrings and that is exactly what happened today.    But I think it can be something to struggle with, as well. I know in times of darkness of the soul, it is a struggle to evenhear the whisper.

After thinking about Servitude I realized that our family needs to learn to actively serve each other starting with me. I have let my service to my family become a chore that has become a burden and I need to realize that serving them, I am serving our Lord. When I get up (without rolling my eyes ) and clean up the 3rd cup of spilt milk in an evening meal, I am serving Christ in my children and that is where God is calling me to be a better Mom. I also need to teach and train my children better about service towards each other and me and my husband.

BTW: My primary love language is Acts of Service and just in the past few days I realized that I've never shared and explained that to my family.

WOW Servitudeit is!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

After much thought, my word for the year will be GRACE.
There are so many good qualities this word encompasses, and it is the Blessed Mother's own word. I'm hoping she will help me with this one all year.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

cornomama4
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote cornomama4

Mine is going to be STEWARDSHIP

Fron Webster: : the conducting, supervising, or managing of something; especially, the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one's care.

I figure if I try to do everything with that theme in mind, especially the second part, it should pretty much cover everything
Back to Top View cornomama4's Profile Search for other posts by cornomama4

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Paula in MN wrote:

My word for this year is DETACH. Specifically from material possessions in order to ATTACH myself to Him.

Yes. Yes. Yes. This makes me take pause.

I drink from my coffee cup everyday. The coffee cup says "The more simple you are, the more complete you become". I love everything about this cup. The color of the cup. The shape of the cup. How comfortable it is to hold with my hand. And of course, the message it gives.

...How interesting it is, however, that, although I drink from this cup everyday, I don't drink from the *cup* everyday. It's almost as though it is because I read it everyday that the message tends to become muted.

Now, I actually received a *new* coffee cup from my two BILs, for Christmas. It is a blank mug, but came with a special pen that you can write whatever you want on the cup. I think I'll write the word DETACH. And hopefully as I drink from this new cup everyday, it's message will stay with me, throughout the year

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

My word is Courage.

Blessings,
Julia
mom of 3 (10,8,6)
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

I've been thinking about this since the thread was started as well. Yesterday as I was thinking about all the words everyone has here and wondering if any of those were mine, the Lord "whispered" mine to me....Perserverance!

We've had so many changes this past year with my dh retiring from the Air Force and moving across the country from Washington to Ohio and the only way I've been able to get through it all was through Perserverance.

This word encompasses so much for me this year though. I need to perservere in my prayer life, my walk with Christ, being a good mother and wife, drawing closer to our Blessed Mother and on and on and on....

Yes, a perfect word for me!!! PERSERVERANCE

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Last year my word was 'gentle'. Having a word to focus on was fruitful. Thank you so much, Cay, for suggesting it.

This year, my word is 'quiet'. Its a narrowing of both my focus on gentleness and on simplicity. Quieting my heart, quieting my immediate responses, speaking with a quiet tone, being quiet so that I can hear God, quieting any excess busyness in our daily schedules, quieting our home environment, quieting how I spend my time and information overload. Its all about quiet this year.

Last year I bought some cute letters, dd painted them for me, and I tried to stick them on the wall near my bed. They kept falling off the wall. And then two of them broke after falling for the jillionth time. I really liked having the word posted as reminder, and I liked the wooden letters. I found some at Michaels that looked like italics. They were perfect. But I can't figure out how to put them up. They don't even have nail holes in the back.

Suggestions?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Books, you could put them up with Velcro. I attached my dd's name to her door this way. A piece of sticky velcro on the letter and the other piece on the wall (or door). When we took them off, I just wiped the walls with adhesive remover to clean the residue.

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Books,

This isn't letters for the word, but thought I'd share what I did.

I printed a "theme verse" from scripture that has my word in it, as a focus verse for the year. I printed it off my computer in a pretty font and framed it. I have it on my window in the kitchen right in front of the sink.

You could also print off just the word in a BIG and pretty font and frame it that way. :)

I typed up John 15:5 for my word, abide.

Oops, ETA: just finished your post. Should have read it more slowly the first time. My post is not helpful at all. Sorry!! I have hot glued things to my walls before, the kind of paint you use makes a difference, if it's really glossy the hot glue should peel off without ripping it.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I have been so busy and only getting to this thread for a few minutes at a time. I love reading everyone's word and praying about it. I nod my head with so many of them and think "That's it!". I need to simplify, I need to trust more, I need perseverance, and so on. Last year, my word was intention- to live each day deliberately, intentionally. I didn't do it. I can't believe it has been a year! Where did the time go?!

What I am struck by is that I can't do it. I can't simplify on my own. I can't be joyful on my own. I can't persevere on my own. I can't even trust on my own. I can't do it. God needs to do it. He needs to transform me. I have the illusion of control, and feel like a failure so often because I think I am in control and doing a lousy job. I need to give up that illusion and give up my struggle for control.

My word is SURRENDER, because I can't do it. But God can!

Let's remember to pray each other through this year specifically as we try to put our word into action. I know I need that supernatural support because I so easily slip into automatic and time flies by with no improvement.

Thanks, Cay! What a great way to start the year!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

You all are a hoot -

I really enjoyed all the other words but I think "timeliness" is the one calling me this year - but it is a little long for glittered letters!

Maybe a bookmark? Maybe that will help me put my book down when I'm supposed be to be getting out of bed or going to sleep!!

A very Happy New Year to you all!

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I've decided on: CONFIDENCE It sums up so many other words for me. I'm going to give it a shot....like you said, Molly-----I am far from in control.

Going to read and reread the chapter on CONFIDENCE in I Believe in Love.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I guess mine will be INTERIOR.

I read several things about how everything good starts from inside -- and realized I was trying to work from the outside to the inside, instead of the other way around.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

Mine is PROMPTLY. I've had several nudgings towards this lately .

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Surrender. I started on this in August and want to carry it into the new year.

I am posting this *before* I read this topic, to try to miminize my desire to gather many excellent words .

Cay, thanks so much for this New Year tradition!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I can't decide.....

My first thought was HOLINESS....embracing all that is holy

Then....

I thought of ABANDONMENT...to God, leaving that which is worldly behind

Finally....

I'm drawn to INTIMACY....with the Lord and with others

Still contemplating here.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I am going with GIFT. I want to more deeply appreciate God's gifts to me, especially the gift of His Son. I want to offer myself more completely as a gift to God. I want to serve my family with an attitude of love and joy...service as a gift. I want to receive and live each day as a gift.

I will meditate on this quote:
"Ours is the spirit of the Eucharist, the total gift of self." St. Katherine Drexel

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Mine is balance. To go along with my gift of trust.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version