Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Philosophy of Education
 4Real Forums : Philosophy of Education
Subject Topic: Simplicity Parenting Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

LeeAnn wrote:
drmommy wrote:
Hubby said, "didn't you notice they don't have one book or magazine, one book shelf, or any toys?" Wow, I did notice the children did not have any toys in their rooms or closets (my daughters told me also) when I went up to check on them (stop laughing..their closets were open ).

So, what may LOOK super, isn't always super. I came home loving my hubby just a little more, and appreciating my home and family a little more. One can walk into our house and know that it is LIVED in, and that we are Catholic, and love each other.

It seems as if you are saying that a lack of toys and books somehow correlates to this family not loving each other or not having a comfortable home.

When I read drmommy's words, I understood her to mean that her friend's home wasn't kid friendly. I'm not all the way through ch 2 yet, but I really enjoyed the example he gave of a child's bedroom that had mounds and mounds of toys. It wasn't the dejunk though, that interested me, but what he kept and what he *added*.

There was a real attention to and desire to have imaginative and nurturing toys that actually serve the child's development and needs at that age. In the first 2 chapters, I think there is a real emphasis on respecting childhood. A home that gives room for children to be imaginative and nurtured is a good thing.

Maybe this is a side issue, but when I was reading his ideas on childhood, I found myself thinking about how historically, there was really no such thing as a special time for childhood before the Victorian era. Children may have had a few toys, a lot or none (depending on their station in life, culture, etc), but children were seen as little adults. There wasn't much of an effort to shelter children from the realities of adult life. This is probably how children ended up as captains of ships at age 12 (referring to an old Gatto thread here). Then again, life for these folks wasn't nearly as complicated as ours is now, and media/information saturation just wasn't an issue at all, so maybe it was less detrimental for a child to be viewed as a little adult? Does anyone know if there is a Catholic view of childhood?

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

drmommy wrote:
remarked,"Wow, their house looks great! I wonder how we can achieve that? (I was comparing in my mind..not good). Hubby said, "didn't you notice they don't have one book or magazine, one book shelf, or any toys?" Wow, I did notice the children did not have any toys in their rooms or closets

Elizabeth wrote about something like this in Real Learning.

Also, as I mentioned earlier I wrote an article once about clutter which is on my old blog here

I think it does come down again to a sort of attitude.

I know I was thinking this Christmas that there wasn't really a whole lot my kids could REALLY use that they didn't already have.    We don't buy big but even so we pretty much have enough around the house that any more seems like clutter and distraction rather than beneficial.

Also, I read this article on Stuff a couple of years ago and it really made an impact.   I think it's true what he said, that "stuff" isn't a rich person thing so much any more -- poor people can be drowned in stuff, too.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Willa-

I pulled a quote from the article you linked on stuff:

What I didn't understand was that the value of some new acquisition wasn't the difference between its retail price and what I paid for it. It was the value I derived from it.

I think I am just figuring this out. All I can say is Amen!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I shared a quote that I really like, and refer to often, with someone on this board and I realized that it is relevant to simplicity parenting. My focusing on it the past few months might actually be helping me.

"Do not lose your inward peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset. Commend all to God, and then lie still and be at rest in His bosom. Whatever happens, abide steadfast in a determination to cling simply to God, trusting to His eternal love for you; and if you find that you have wandered forth from this shelter, recall your heart quietly and simply. Maintain a holy simplicity of mind, and do not smother yourself with a host of cares, wishes, or longings, under any pretext."
~ St. Francis de Sales ~

I have appreciated skimming this thread.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Quote:
"Do not lose your inward peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset. Commend all to God, and then lie still and be at rest in His bosom. Whatever happens, abide steadfast in a determination to cling simply to God, trusting to His eternal love for you; and if you find that you have wandered forth from this shelter, recall your heart quietly and simply. Maintain a holy simplicity of mind, and do not smother yourself with a host of cares, wishes, or longings, under any pretext."
~ St. Francis de Sales ~

This is a wonderful quote, Christine! It perfectly summarizes what I understand should be our foundational approach to simplicity.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Christine wrote:
I shared a quote that I really like, and refer to often, with someone on this board and I realized that it is relevant to simplicity parenting. My focusing on it the past few months might actually be helping me.

~ St. Francis de Sales ~

1 blessing due in Sept.? Where have I been? Congratulations, Christine!!!!!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

I also love that quote! Thanks for sharing, Christine! I'm going to print it off tonight.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Nina Murphy wrote:

1 blessing due in Sept.? Where have I been? Congratulations, Christine!!!!!

Yes! Oh my goodness....Christine is pregnant! I just checked the blog!!!!!!    

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

The book is in the library waiting for me!!! So excited to get my hands on it!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Christine wrote:

~ St. Francis de Sales ~

Christine - this is my very favorite quote of the last few months. My dh and I have been reading and discussing Saint Francis de Sales and we love this one.

Congratulations too on your new little one!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Waiting on UPS today so I can get my book, start reading and discuss the ideas that are actually in the book rather than what I'm imagining is in there.... C'mon, big brown!

I also finally, finally, ordered my own copy of "Material World" after borrowing it from the library many times. I love that book, along with "Hungry Planet," they are some of my best motivators.

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote drmommy

Loved the article on Stuff, Willa. Especially the part about books being the exception! I bookmarked it. Actually, we live pretty simple, because when my Mom died, I realized that I couldn't take it with you.

My book is hopefully coming today! Can hardly wait to read it.

We had just remodeled and added on to our house, and each box or container that was in the garage, and that I hadn't gone through in 10 years was just thrown out without peeking. Very liberating!
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 10:04am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

I have part of that quote on my wall for our school room words for this year. But I started it a little before that...
Do everything quietly and in a calm spirit.   Do not lose your inward peace whatsoever even if your whole world seems to fall apart.
It makes quite a statement in our dining room.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Tami

My book arrived Saturday via ILL. I made sure I picked it up before closing time! I read chapter 1 Saturday night - good read!

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

I finished chapter one and got a few pages into the next chapter.

Is it too soon to dive into specific questions? Should we start individual threads for specific questions?

The author probably will answer my question later in the book, but I was looking for the perspective of experienced moms. I am wondering about the limiting of adult information, specifically news and politics, for young teens. My dd, almost 14, loves to read the paper and a couple of political blogs. I think she has a decent understanding, but much is above her still. How much should I limit at this age? When do we allow them to become immersed in it all?

As an aside, after reading some Dr Weil books, I am wondering about my own immersion in the whole news/political scene. I know we need to be active and informed, but it can really get you down and then interfere with other things.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Greetings, all you oh-so-eager-readers! I will return to Delaware tomorrow a.m. (that's Tuesday the 5th) and I will start a NEW THREAD in BOOK CLUB for Chapter 1 and the Intro (if there is one, my book is in DE) on Wednesday, January 6th in the a.m. sometime. I know everyone is anxious to really dig into this book! I will post a new chapter every two weeks, but you all can continue discussing the previous chapters to your heart's content. Hope you can make it to Wednesday !

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Did anyone notice that today's meditation from In Conversation (Advent and Christmastide) was entitled "Naturalness and Simplicity"?   

Quote:
The whole of Mary's life is permeated with a deep simplicity. She always carries out her vocation as Mother of the Redeemer naturally. She appears in her cousin Elizabeth's house to help and look after her during those three months. She prepares the swaddling clothes and everything for her Son. She lives for thirty years with Jesus, never tiring of looking at Him, treating Him with great love, but with complete simplicity. ... 'Mary, holy Mother of God, passes unnoticed as just one more among the women of her town. Learn from her how to live with naturalness.--St. Josemaria Escriva

Another quote:

Quote:
Simplicity is a sign of humility. It is radically opposed to anything false, artificial or deceitful. It is also a very necessary virtue for our dealings with God, for spiritual gudiance and for our daily life with those around us.

Last one:
Quote:
"Simplicity demands clarity, transparency and a right intention which preserves us from living a double life, from serving two masters: God and ourselves. Simplicity also requires a strong will which leads us to choose what is good, and controls the disorderly tendencies of a life exclusively of the sense: and it dominates whatever is disordered and complicated in every person. The simple person judges events, persons and things with a right judgement illumined by faith, not by momentary impressions."

The whole mediation is just lovely--dovetailed so well with the book--which I began last night. I finished the introduction and am deep into Chapter One making notes in the margins.   

Can't wait for Wednesday, Caroline!   

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

jdostalik wrote:
Did anyone notice that today's meditation from In Conversation (Advent and Christmastide) was entitled "Naturalness and Simplicity"?   

YES!!!! I did, Jennifer!!!

And I thought of this thread, and all you lovely ladies. The whole entry is just so beautiful and has filled my thoughts today! I was hoping to get some time to quote from the reflections tonight, but you spared me from having to decide which ones, Jennifer! I'm so glad you shared some of these beautiful reflections from In Conversation With God! I love this thought in particular - I feel like I could be unpacking it for years:

In Conversation With God (emphasis mine wrote:
"Simplicity demands clarity, transparency and a right intention which preserves us from living a double life, from serving two masters: God and ourselves. Simplicity also requires a strong will which leads us to choose what is good, and controls the disorderly tendencies of a life exclusively of the sense: and it dominates whatever is disordered and complicated in every person. The simple person judges events, persons and things with a right judgement illumined by faith, not by momentary impressions."

So much to ponder in that...and isn't that thought beautiful, that in choosing simplicity with our spirit, our wills, this spirit of simplicity "dominates whatever is disordered and complicated in every person." Isn't that a hopeful thought? Because I don't know about you all, but I have a gift for *over-complicating* matters. What a decidedly lovely and hopeful thought.

Josemaria Escriva, The Way wrote:
Mary, the Most Holy Mother of God, passes unnoticed as just one more among the women of her town. Learn from her how to live with naturalness.

What a beautiful prayer as I approach and seek in earnest a spirit of simplicity. I will sit at my Mother's feet learning from her naturalness.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Mackfam wrote:

Josemaria Escriva, The Way wrote:
Mary, the Most Holy Mother of God, passes unnoticed as just one more among the women of her town. Learn from her how to live with naturalness.

What a beautiful prayer as I approach and seek in earnest a spirit of simplicity. I will sit at my Mother's feet learning from her naturalness.

Me, too, Jen, me too! Hugs!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

jdostalik wrote:
'Mary, holy Mother of God, passes unnoticed as just one more among the women of her town. Learn from her how to live with naturalness.--St. Josemaria Escriva

This is just lovely. I think I'm going to print this out and use it for inspiration along with my word of the year. Thank you for sharing.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version