Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2006 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Let's keep a list of all of the books we read this year. Everytime you finish a book.........you just post it here.

What an amazing list we will have!

Hmmm.....if it is a duplicate of a previous book mentioned.........list it anyway.   

Let's consider it a survey of Catholic homeschool moms' reading choices.   

I have several books going so far this year.........I THINK the only one I have actually finished is:

DATING MR. DARCY by Sarah Arthur

PLEASE....have all of your teen girls, or older, read this book..........but it is best to be familiar with pride and Prejudice..........at least the movie with Colin Firth

Let's capitalize the titles, and always remember the author! If you want, take the time to put the title in color........so it can catch our eye.

Be prepared to talk about your book choices sometimes!

Happy reading!

Wonder who will have the most posts in this thread????......how many pages long can we make it????

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 3:37am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Ooh! Fun! Good idea Chari . I have only finished one book so far: THE FLY IN THE CATHEDRAL by Brian Cathcart, about how a group of scientists at Cambridge managed to split the atom in 1932. I'm focusing on science reading this year .

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote Helen

What a great idea Chari!
Is this for read alouds to the kids? or for books the Mom reads on her own? or both?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Fun!

Finished so far:

LIFE OF PI by Yann Martel (captivating)

BECAUSE OF WINN-DIXIE by Kate DiCamillo (delicious)

And way too many books in progress than is sensible....

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Oh, Fun, Kathryn! Let's see if you can actually keep up the intellectual stuff as your pregnancy progresses and you are in the breastfeeding brain situation

Helen.............I just KNEW on this list I would need to clarify this! And, I almost addressed it in my first post......cuz I just KNEW it   

If mom reads it out loud.........I would say MOM READ THAT BOOK .....wouldn't you?? I say they all count!

oh, Lissa..........me, too, ME, TOO! Too many books than is sensible   

Oh, I LOVE Lissa's one adjective......let's try that with our list ....can we keep it to only ONE adjective? I know I probably can't

Lissa.....now I am going to get the Because of Winn Dixie on cassette at the library.....how does the movie compare?

off to share my very snowy day scrapbooking with one of my CCM friends who is up to visit with her new baby!!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 12:34pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

What a great idea, Chari!

Books I started in 2005, but finished this month:
THE THIRTEEN DAYS OF CHRISTMAS by Jenny Overton (Family read-aloud. Thanks, Kathryn!)
EIGHT COUSINS by Louisa May Alcott
POLLYANNA by Eleanor H. Porter (audio book - family read-aloud)

Books from 2006:
LITTLE HOUSE BY BOSTON BAY by (our own ) Melissa Wiley (We re-visited this for our "War of 1812" studies.)
ON TIDE MILL LANE by Melissa Wiley
(Lissa's books are such beautiful stories!)
HAPPY LITTLE FAMILY by Rebecca Caudill (Sweet series of 4 books available from Bethlehem Books. We are reading the second one now. The main character-a girl in a family of 4 sisters and one brother-starts out at age 4. My newly-turned 6yo really looks forward to these books.)

Can you tell I'm a little short on adult reading?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2006 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Chari wrote:

Be prepared to talk about your book choices sometimes!

Uh oh....I'd better actually finish one of my books now

Chari wrote:

Wonder who will have the most posts in this thread????......how many pages long can we make it????

Are you keeping track Chari?    It's like a perpetual book club! Who's bringing snacks?

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I just finished It Takes A Family by Rick Santorum. I really want to like Rick Santorum. After all, the Santorums are a Catholic homeschooling family that live near me. Plus, I love his wife's book, Everyday Graces. However, I am always unimpressed with his public appearances and find him unlikeable.

So, I was pleasantly surprised by the book. The common theme was rebuilding America on the foundations of family, faith and civic responsibility. He argued the effects that "No Fault Freedom" has had on our society as well as the toll of moral relativism. Maybe tooted his own horn a few too many times, but it's nice to see that he has a history and "walks the walk", so to speak, whereas I viewed him as more of an opportunist before.

I also wanted to share a passage from a book I'm currently reading, The Way, Furrow and The Forge by St. Josemaria Escriva (founder of Opus Dei). It's from The Way, passage 339:

Books. Don't buy them without advice from a Catholic who has real knowledge and discernment. It's so easy to buy something useless or harmful. How often a man thinks he is carrying a book under his arm, and it turns out to be a load of trash!

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

This weekend, I finished Hold on to Your Kids, Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Mate. Definitely one of the most though-provoking books on child-rearing that I have read in a long time. I highly recommend it.

I also recently finished Amazing Grace for Those Who Suffer,edited by Jeff Cavins. There are some incredible stories of faith in this book, but it was hard to read as an expectant and new mother.

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

I am very shallow. Two of the last books that I have finished are on health and fitness. These are the books ( adjectives following!) -

*Body for Life for Women ( helpful)
*The Pritikin Diet ( yummy recipes!).

I also read a trilogy of books for teens/young adults -

*Space Demons trilogy by Gillian Rubenstein (riveting)

And a re-read of a homeschool book -
* Homeschool Open House ( both motivating and embarrassing)

Not very intellectual, I am afraid to say.

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2006 at 5:54pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Just finished:

The King's Fith by Scott O'Dell

Escape Across the Wide Sea by Katherine Kirpatrick. This is a good read about a Huguenot family that escapes France and the account of their journey to American. Even though they are Protestants escaping a Catholic country to have freedom to worship, it didn't present Catholics as evil. It was good read.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

ElisabethGrace
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote ElisabethGrace

Just wanted to list my books read for January. These are just the ones I read for myself. There are too many children's books for me to try to remember this late at night!

MILESTONES: MEMOIRS 1927-1977 Joseph Ratzinger

THE RISE OF BENEDICT XVI
John L. Allen, Jr.

JOHN PAUL THE GREAT
ed. Bonechi
(This was a gift my inlaws brought back from Rome. It's basically a photo tribute with many wonderful quotes from JPII.)

MOTHER ANGELICA: THE REMARKABLE STORY OF A NUN, HER NERVE AND A NETWORK OF MIRACLES
Raymond Arroyo

A MIRACLE FOR ST. CECILIA'S
Katherine Valentine

MY CUP OF TEA: MUSINGS OF A CATHOLIC MOM
Danielle Bean

I like to take notes when I read. I love to reread my favorite quotes. I keep one notebook (actually a composition book that I covered with scrapbooking paper) for general reading. I also have other composition books going for mothering/parenting books, marriage books, homeschooling books, etc.

Happy Reading!
Angela in TX
Back to Top View ElisabethGrace's Profile Search for other posts by ElisabethGrace

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

On my bedside table:

May Crowning, Mass and Merton (just finished, nice book)
Liz Kelly

Looking for Mary or The Blessed Mother and Me (just started, not sure yet)
Beverly Donofrio

Celebrating the Church Year with Young Children (great~taking notes!)
Joan Halmo

Real Learning (re-reading, more notes! )
Elizabeth Foss

Days of the Blackbird (with the boys)
Tomie de Paola

The Lessons of St. Francis (looks wonderful)
John Michael Talbot with Steve Rabey

The Secret Garden (with the boys)
Frances Hodgson Burnett

On order :

The Martha Rules (I'm a bit of a fan)
Martha Stewart

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Chari wrote:
Let's keep a list of all of the books we read this year. Everytime you finish a book.........you just post it here.

Oops! I just re-read your post Chari ... I've only FINISHED a couple of the books I listed ! I will have to check back in once I get through my pile ...

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 6:24am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

ElisabethGrace wrote:
I like to take notes when I read. I love to reread my favorite quotes. I keep one notebook (actually a composition book that I covered with scrapbooking paper) for general reading.

This is a great idea! I usually end up writing half-formed thoughts in all different kinds of places ~ on post-its, the back of receipts, random magazine subscription cards, you name it!

A special reading journal would make note-taking so much nicer, not to mention more efficient ... I think I found my weekend project !

Maureen
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 01 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Maureen

[QUOTE=Molly Smith] I just finished It Takes A Family by Rick Santorum. I really want to like Rick Santorum. After all, the Santorums are a Catholic homeschooling family that live near me. Plus, I love his wife's book, Everyday Graces. However, I am always unimpressed with his public appearances and find him unlikeable.

This is OT, but I thought I'd note that my impression of Rick Santorum is that of a dedicated Catholic who values family and the truth. I believe he attends daily Mass and attends a daily prayer gathering with other senators. I have heard him speak at a couple of NACHE conventions, and love to "catch" him on the radio or television to hear him defend truth.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Maureen wrote:
This is OT, but I thought I'd note that my impression of Rick Santorum is that of a dedicated Catholic who values family and the truth. I believe he attends daily Mass and attends a daily prayer gathering with other senators. I have heard him speak at a couple of NACHE conventions, and love to "catch" him on the radio or television to hear him defend truth.

I agree, Maureen. He may not be perfect and has made a few political decisions that I don't agree with, but I think that he, along with Rep. Chris Smith, are excellent examples of Catholics who do not "check their faith at the door" when they enter the capitol.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 02 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Maureen wrote:

You know, Maureen....nothing is realy OT on this thread, if it is a rabbit trail from our reading......though some really good points may deserve their own threads

anything goes in our book club discussion.....as long as it springs from a book

VeRRRRRRRyyyyyy slowly ploughing through Middlemarch by George Eliot. Will you all celebrate with me when I finish it???   

hmmmm.......wonder if I can get it completed by Middle of March?? pun intended

.....though i doubt the library will let me keep it that long

oh....btw, I heard Rick S. at a NACHE conference......I really enjoyed listening to him! He had great stage presence, anyway!

but more than anything.......this westcoaster was excited to actually be at a NACHE conference!!

okay.......enough already......my children are expecting dinner tonight

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

teachingmom wrote:
Maureen wrote:

I agree, Maureen. He may not be perfect and has made a few political decisions that I don't agree with, but I think that he, along with Rep. Chris Smith, are excellent examples of Catholics who do not "check their faith at the door" when they enter the capitol.

Dear Maureen and Irene and all,

Please don't misunderstand, my point was that his book changed my impression of him. My experiences with him prior to reading the book had surprised me and I had a hard time finding him likeable--despite the fact that I know he's a practicing Catholic homeschooling dad. I specifically said in my post that I was pleasantly surprised by the book, and now I perhaps have an impression of him that is more closely aligned with the one you already had. In hindsight I wish I could delete the entire first paragraph of my post because if it is quoted out of context--without the remainder of my post, that is--one would think I was trying to perpetuate a negative image of an honest man. Thank you for this opportunity to clarify myself--I hope I was more effective this time !

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Molly, I think your original post was just fine. You shared your thoughts.......good enough for us ....how could anyone NOT view any politician as an opportunist

In fact......I suppose he would still HAVE to be....but in a more general sense, not just for himself.......but for all of us, with like-minded ideas.

And, you were open-minded enough to even read his book in the first place.......and then enough to re-adjust your views. I applaud you

I have been assigned this book for reading later this summer, by another RL mom.......who says she is going to assign it to her seniors in the government "class"

I am glad you posted about it.....now I look forward to it all the more. I hear it is a FAT book

Have a great day!

Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version