Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2006 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I just read:

THE NO. 1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY

Nothing like I expected, especially the setting, but an easy and enjoyable read!! I plan to get the next one.

On my nightstand:

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

I just finished Eat To Live by DR. Joel Fuhrman.-An eye opener for me on healthy eating. Highly recommend.

Mr. Floops Lunch, Three Pigs, Gingerbread Man--I have been reading these since 1991!!!! I should keep count on how many times I read these in my lifetime!

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

I am sleepy today b/c I stayed up way too late reading one of my many mystery novels. I just had to know the killer before I went to sleep and then I huge twist at the end...that did it...I wasn't asleep until after 1 AM.

I plan to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy this year and some more religious books. I am getting too freaked reading one mystery book after another. (and too tired!)

I read the book on St. Francis by John Michael Talbot before Christmas...loved it!

I am planning to start soon a book about everyday citizens of Nazi Germany...I wonder how I will sleep after that one!

Marybeth sleepy but cozy in Chicago
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2006 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Night by Elie Wiesel--unbelievable and true. 120 page first-hand account of this Nobel Peace Prize winning author's hellish experience in a WWII German concentration camp. Page turner. Extremely tragic, but truly a piece of living historical literature. Parents, read it before your teen...some may not be ready to handle the realities described by this book. Definitely not for young children. I'm glad I read it.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Is that the only book you have read this year, Shawna??   

Anne was thinking you read another one this week

DO recommend it to all.....it was originally recommended by Elizabeth to me.......who had it recommended to her by Leonie   

it is SUCH a small world!

with a few extra pounds it needs to shed though!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I've been on a Tolien kick -- reading everything BUT the Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth stuff -- I NEVER could get into those.

I just started last night an awesome pre-WW2 book by Rebecca West about her travels in Yugoslavia in the 30s. It's got great history and soical cmmentary about all of Europe between the wars and is fairly prophetic about what will happen in the 40s and later for the Slavs, Serbians, and others in the Balkan states.....

The book is called, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey Through Yugoslavia . The coy I got was paperback and be forewarned -- it's over 1000 pages so it's not exactly a cuddle-up with a book at night kind of thing -- though I did try!

Sorry, I didn't keep that to one adjective did I

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

OK, OK, I also read (mostly read) Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell by Debra Waterhouse. NOT a diet book, but a real eye opener about how and why women store fat so easily, and how to manage it. I havent tried her suggestions yet, but Chari shed 18 lbs last year using the advice. I think its a must-read for all women, especially those who have born children. She's a humorous and easy-to-read author.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Chari shed 18 pounds ! I read it and it just made me understand why I couldn't lose weight.[i.e. "If you're perimenopausal and you've had a baby recently and you're breastfeeding, give up."--or something like that.] Made me feel better but I didn't shed an ounce. I thought that was the point;Leonie was tired of listening to me whine about stubborn weight . Guess I better re-read!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I just began reading God's Choice...wow...I can't put it down.

Prior to beginning this book, I read
Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto. I really agreed with his statement that government-run schools are "anti-life." He stated that his years of public school teaching showed him that we're caging up our youngest and oldest members of society, hiding them away from everyone else, instead of letting everyone interact and learn from the richness of human experience.

I started to read Alison Weir's new bio of Queen Isabella of England, but got derailed by other books. One of these days I'll get back to that one...

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

OK, going to get the library website open and do some requests. I just finished Light from Heaven by Jan Karon. I love Mitford, but for some reason this one was too sweet for me. I decided there is something wrong with me.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 04 2006 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Elizabeth wrote:
Chari shed 18 pounds ! I read it and it just made me understand why I couldn't lose weight.[i.e. "If you're perimenopausal and you've had a baby recently and you're breastfeeding, give up."--or something like that.] Made me feel better but I didn't shed an ounce. I thought that was the point;Leonie was tired of listening to me whine about stubborn weight . Guess I better re-read!

I agree with Shawna.......her books are must-reads for all women.......and anyone 34 yrs and up should read Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell because our bodies change so much after 35 yrs.......and we do so much to thwart it. Even if you are not dealing with overweight issues.....it is just so important to know how our bodies work, especially as they change. These books read easily and make so much sense.....my friend the dietician says Debra Waterhouse, the author, is a pioneer in her field. She also has one for post-baby fat...best of all.....no dieting!

as for those 18 pounds.........I lost them LAST jan-March........and kept it off til I went on a five week trip visiting people who have yummy desserts and no Curves nearby (oh, hi, Willa ......we DID get one walk in .....and now I have got to get those 14 lbs that came back on that trip and thru Christmas    .....when I was ignoring the common sense

we can re-read together, Elizabeth!

I missed Curves today due to cramps... ..but I plan to be on my treadmill at 4 pm today, reading King Arthur by Pyle. (see....I was able to bring the thread back to our book club ) Yesterday, I did BOTH!

enjoying a salad........

ps.......shall we have a thread just about The Outsmarting books???

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Over the weekend I finished the second book of the N0.1 Ladies Detective Agency, Tears of the Giraffe- Laugh aloud funny. Such a different perspective on life.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 05 2006 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

ShawnaB wrote:
Night by Elie Wiesel--unbelievable and true.

This is one of my oldest ds's most favorite books in the whole world.

Here is a picture of his first copy after Hurricane Rita damaged his bedroom: Into the Night

It's the same book that, upon receiving a new copy this past Epiphany, received it gratefully with a simple "Sweet!" as a thank you.   

Btw, Oprah's book club is reading this book. Thought you might like to know.   

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 06 2006 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Here's one I keep rereading and picked up again lately:
Sleep Thieves.

The part where he talks about the increase in fatal accidents the week after we spring forward and lose an hour of sleep is amazing. My kids will definitely be required to read it when they're older.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Lois Lowry writes what I think would be awesome books for a tween/teen book club. They are very thought provoking and really give an amazing insight into many of today's social issues from a unique perspective. I find it really compelling how the author manages to manipulate the readers emotions and thoughts on these issues without actually being overly graphic or preachy.

I've read The Giver and Gathering Blue.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I love this thread and have already picked up a few new titles to add to my ever-growing wish list!
However, I have firmly resolved not to buy any more books until I read at least half of the unread ones I have here!
So far this year:

Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto
I'd read some of his other books before but loved this one even more.

How to Behave So Your Dog Will by Sophia Yin, DVM (I met her at a veterinary behavior conference and had to add her book to my work library; lots of great info on training a dog in short lessons, very CM!

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe; Prince Caspian; and Voyage of the Dawn Treader by of course, CS Lewis - I had read these to my oldest ds when he was 6 but never got to the rest; he ended up reading them on his own (I literally went into labor while reading VODT on the couch to him - water broke and that was the end of our readalouds for a long time LOL) I want to finish the series before seeing the 1st movie. I currently have the Silver Chair on my stack for next.

Trumpet of the Swan by EB White
   read aloud to my 6 yo who absolutely loved it - Charlotte's Web is next!

That's all I can remember finishing. I have several other books in progress.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I just finished Dumbing Us Down...wow. (I also scored big brownie points with the "he" half of our county's married librarians because I liked the book!)

My daughter and I are reading all of the Chronicles of Narnia books as bedtime reading...we're finally on The Last Battle. It's probably the most difficult book for me to understand in the entire series. I'm hoping reading it aloud will give me new insights. This series is one of my all-time favorites and I'm so thankful my daughter loves it, too.

This thread is so inspiring...sometimes I think I'm the only reading Mommy on planet Earth, and I'm so happy to discover all of your "must-reads" and "enjoyable reads"!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote Chari

guitarnan wrote:

This thread is so inspiring...sometimes I think I'm the only reading Mommy on planet Earth, and I'm so happy to discover all of your "must-reads" and "enjoyable reads"!

HECK NO!!!!!!!

Here is another "must-read" I just finished last week:

Five Languages of Love by Gary Chapman. I KNOW I am a johnny-come-lately........as this book as been recommended A LOT.....but it is wonderful for helping to communicate in marriage.....and with others. I think that is why the general population has troubles with their teens.....lack of understanding love languages. This author bases some of his info on How to Really Love Your Child by Gary Cambell, I think. I read it a long time ago.....and it is nice to build on more of that info.

If you have ANY need of improvement in your marriage or in relationships with others, read this book!

I LOVED this book.......and I have ordered more of Chapman's books from the library. I just know they will all come at once!

In the meantime, still ploughing through Middlemarch........and tempted by a new arrival from the library.....the 4th Jane Austen mystery.......bet you can guess which book wins out

Keep up the posting, ladies! This is fun!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Chari,
Those Love Language books are brilliant. And I think the one you were thinking of was The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell. Even though they are similar, I still got a lot out of the kid one which I read second.

This week I'm starting I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson. It's our bookclub pick.

Oh, yes, and I was back in the tea party section of Real Learning this week. Ours wasn't quite like the one in the book, but we did get our Winslow Homer study done before the field trip. This week I'm going to look at that Nature study part, the part that I find convicting but not what I want to do right now.   

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Oh, Rachel...it IS Ross Cambell.....but the book is ONLY by Mr. Cambell..........How to Really Love your Child......It must be at least 12 years ago that I read it.............no more like 15 yrs.

I did not know they wrote the other book together. That is the one I just ordered from interlibrary loan.

I am hoping to do the study from The Five languages of Love with the happyisthehusband email group.....just have not told them yet

yep..........already got to the murder in the Jane Austen mystery   

later!

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version