Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2006 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Chari wrote:
How fun for you, Irene!

It was five years ago that I was also due with MY sixth baby in October........that I first read all of Jane Austen........what a fun way to spend a pregnancy!

And the early pregancy exhaustion has given me a good excuse to sit and read that I don't normally have!

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I don't remember all the names of what I read to the dc or browsing - but I did recently read

Knight of the White Cross by Henty.

It was one of the dc read alouds - bedtime story and I just had to finish it and stayed up way too late reading it. Very good reading, novel about a hospitalar (Knights of St. John).

Also read Pride and Prejudice.

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2006 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I keep forgetting to post these:

Miserly Moms - OK but I'll probably won't implement any of their suggestions.

Life of Pi- by Yan Martel. Beautifully written but bizarre.

Why Girls Talk and What They Are Saying by Shaffer and Gordon Eye opening. Interesting but written from a secular point of view and with a little bit of a femenist bent. STill, I think it was worth reading.

Oliver Twist- Loved it.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 20 2006 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Karen T wrote:
[QUOTE=Chari]
The other book I'm reading is my Lenten reading - Growing in the Virtues of Jesus, which I bought to go along with the Virtue Tree for ds12; I'm enjoying my reading very much so far.

Karen,

Where did you purchase your copy of this book?

Blessings,
Leslie
Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Chari wrote:

The Story of King Arthur & His Knights by Howard Pyle

WE LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! I just read it aloud to the kids. It is SO funny........and SO clean.......and the language is such fun!!

Aah, I just put in a big order at Dover and was choosing a book on Arthur for ds12. I ended up getting one by Lang instead of the Pyle one - anyone know anything about that one? I picked up a copy of Pyle's Robin Hood book at a consignment sale, but it's one of the "Great Illustrated Classics" which are usually abridged so I'm not sure how good it's going to be.
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

fsuadamson wrote:
Growing in the Virtues of Jesus, Where did you purchase your copy of this book?

Blessings,
Leslie

I think i bought it from CHC

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2006 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I can't believe I've been missing out on this thread! I actually just sat down the other day to write out a booklist (Lissa inspired me on one of the other threads) and as I wrote the books down I began to feel like, "Wow! I'm really reading a lot more than I thought I was!" ...Now that I see this thread and the books you ladies are plowing through, I've shortened my thoughts to just plain, "Wow..." (Maybe I should start taking books down to the treadmill too, Chari! )

Since January:
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Hollyhock Days
Sunflower Houses
Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots...all by Sharon Lovejoy
A Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola
The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady by Edith Holden
Family Bonding Through Discipline by Fatima Family Apostolate
Educating the Whole-Hearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson

With the Kids...Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls,
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

Beside the couch...(reading now)
Dr. Phil's The Ultimate Weight Solution (not a Dr. Phil fan~I mentioned to a friend that I'd like to lose those last few preg. pounds this winter and she handed me the book ...actually a pretty good read)

The Book of Think and The I Hate Mathematics Book, both by Marilyn Burns (easy, fun way to try to overcome my math phobia before I have to do more than just addition and subtraction! )

Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales

You Can Become a Saint! by Mary Ann Budnik

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2006 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Well I am currently re-reading Clutter's Last Stand I'm also strategically leaving it around so that dh reads it Its time he cleaned out the garage so we can park the car.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Ok, this weekend I've been painting my kitchen and listening to a wonderful audiobook called Let Me Go by Helga Schneider. My MIL had recommended the book a few mos ago so when I saw our library had it for digital download I tried it. It's the memoir of a woman whose mother abandoned her in Nazi Germany at age 4, to become an SS guard at Auschitz. She didn't see her again for 30-something years. Very poignant, and also disturbing when they discuss what her mother did. I haven't quite finished it yet.
Karen T

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Erin wrote:
Well I am currently re-reading Clutter's Last Stand I'm also strategically leaving it around so that dh reads it Its time he cleaned out the garage so we can park the car.

Oh, Erin! I LOVED that book! Mr. Aslett taught me to "keep the emotion that goes with the item.........and then to toss the item." He taught me to "LET GO!"   

........a very long time ago...........

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I finished Jane Austen's Mansfield Park today. Chari, it's my favorite Austen novel yet! I couldn't put it down toward the end. And I felt like I was wondering up to almost the end just how everything would turn out. It's a book filled with great moral lessons too.

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

I finished Lessons from the School of Suffering: A Young Priest With Cancer Teaches Us How to Live yesterday. It was an amazing story of unbelievable suffering and incredible faith. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially those suffering with physical pain.

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 04 2006 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

Molly Smith wrote:
I finished Lessons from the School of Suffering: A Young Priest With Cancer Teaches Us How to Live yesterday. It was an amazing story of unbelievable suffering and incredible faith. I highly recommend it to anyone, especially those suffering with physical pain.

Oh, this looks really good. I wish I had known about it when my dad was still around with his cancer.

Kristine, what did you think of the Family Bonding Through Discipline by the Fatima Family Apostolate? I couldn't really tell how helpful (or If) it would be through the write-up.
Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Kristina,

I bought the Family Bonding book from a booth at the IHM conference last year. It's a good, easy read and more than anything it affirmed our hopes and efforts in disciplining our children. Basically it was a common-sense approach to parenting (which I must say, I think that's rare among today's "parenting" gurus), and it was written Catholic-style, centering the family around the faith. The "discipline" that the title speaks of seemed to me to be more of a discussion of a way of life and examining of our styles of parenting, as opposed to a set of techniques to achieve our expectations. Does that make sense?

The book gave me lots of confidence that I can have the family (bonding) that I've always dreamed of if dh and I I can live our faith and teach our children how to live our faith from the very start.

I will add that the writers of the book do support the use of corporal punishment and advocate it as well, which wasn't a problem for me at all. It's not a here's-what-you-should-do kind of support/advocacy. It's more of a let's-look-at-(said)situation-and-see-what-message-is-being- sent-to-the-child...(positively, of course)...with a few helpful pointers.

All in all, I thought the book was great...much better than the wishy-washy parenting stuff I read when my oldest child was born. This seemed much truer to who we are than anything I've read on parenting, yet.

How's that for a long-winded answer?

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 04 2006 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I loved "Clutters Last Stand", too. I also highly recommend "Let Your House do the Housework", also by Don Aslett, especially if you're in a building or remodeling mode.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 05 2006 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Kelly wrote:
I also highly recommend "Let Your House do the Housework", also by Don Aslett, especially if you're in a building or remodeling mode.

Why is this title for building? Does it have handy tips on design?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Lsst night I picked up The Evolution of Useful Things by Henry Petroski again. I've been enjoying it on and off for years. The evolution of the fork is really interesting, but the paper clip chapter with numerous patent drawings was a bit much. Last night's chapter was about how fashion effects design. VERY INTERESTING and readable.

Bill gave me this book as a gift after I kept him up one night with my musings about who had invented, perfected, and standardized the mattress.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 05 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

"Let Your House do the Housework" has lots of handy tips for cutting back on dirt BEFORE it enters your house, as well as ways to make cleaning easier. Lots of ideas like not using wooden base trim (it's a dirt collector), and instead running your tile straight up the wall to chair-rail heighth...a little trick I notice all the time in hotels and public restrooms!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

obriens61
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 17 2006 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote obriens61

Books I've read this year:

The Language of Sycamores by Lisa Wingate
For my Book Club.....I liked this book quite a bit!

ARMS of LOVE by Catholic author Carmen Marcoux
A compelling novel that you will not want to put down — this book faithfully presents the Church’s teachings on marriage and the sacraments. Discover how courtship, when put into practice, has the power to transform our society, one heart at a time.

Raising A Modern-Day Knight by Robert Lewis

The Barbed Wire Battleground by R.J O'Brien (my f-i-l_
My review can be read at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/TRINITYPREPSCHOOL/84229/

The Captain's Dog by Roland Smith journals the travels of Louis and Clark through the eyes of their Newfoundland dog.

The River Between Us by Richard Peck is set in Southern Illinois where the Mississippi River divides Union and Confederate lifestyles.

The Da Vinci Deception by Mark Shea
More on this book at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/TRINITYPREPSCHOOL/108672/

Back to Top View obriens61's Profile Search for other posts by obriens61 Visit obriens61's Homepage

KristinaP
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 18 2006 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote KristinaP

saintanneshs wrote:
The "discipline" that the title speaks of seemed to me to be more of a discussion of a way of life and examining of our styles of parenting, as opposed to a set of techniques to achieve our expectations. Does that make sense?

How's that for a long-winded answer?

Yep, that does make sense.

Perfect! Definitely looks like something worth checking out. Thanks for the informative write-up!!

Back to Top View KristinaP's Profile Search for other posts by KristinaP

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version