Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2006 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Yes, Ross Campbell has writen How to Really Love your Children, How to Really Love Your Teen and How to Really Educate Your Children. All excellent I think.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2006 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Our book club (now defunct - it was a group of us moms from our parish and a few surrounding ones but our schedules aren't working out anymore) read The Five Love Languages of Children 2 yrs ago and I really liked it, too. Some of the women had read the one Chari mentioned, which is the one just by Chapman and is more focuses on spouses, or adults in general, than children. I should get mine back out.

I'm listening now to Jane Eyre (digital download from our library) - I missed a lot of the classics as a teen. I can't believe I never read this before! Hope to finish this weekend.

karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2006 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Chari wrote:
How to Really Love your Child......It must be at least 12 years ago that I read it.............no more like 15 yrs.

That predates my parenting book reading, I'm afraid.    I'd like to know which you like better.

I've only read two of the Jane Austen mysteries. Are the others good too?

I have so many books going right now, I'm curious. 'Fess up everyone, how many books are in your "to be read" pile?

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Karen T wrote:

I'm listening now to Jane Eyre (digital download from our library) - I missed a lot of the classics as a teen. I can't believe I never read this before! Hope to finish this weekend.

karen T

Oh, I just LOVE Jane Eyre.......we could never find a single movie rendition that did it justice...........and my dd and I watched ALL of them......trying to find the one we liked best!

Karen..........I was an amazing reader in my childhood......and while I read at least a thousand books...prob more......as that is almost all I did in my spare time..no one was guiding me or giving me example......and most of it was useless, or worse    .....you are NOT alone.

When my dd was younger........I had to preread a lot of books, mostly classics.....since I did not know when she was ready for them........and now, they are my favorite books.....and hers, too!.....Jane Eyre may have been one of the first ones. I remember I could not put it down.........and read it in 2 days. Of course, now.....I cannot keep up with her. She has read over 1000 books since she was nine.........she is 17.....we keep a book list......the quality of her choices is incredible............thank God for homeschooling!!

And now........I have finished a book:   

Jane and the Genius of the Place by Stephanie Barron

I could not put it down last night being so close to solving the mystery......staying up till just past midnight

Rachel, in answer to your question:
Six Jane Austen books are not enough.........and while I am not a fan of murder mysteries, in general.........Mrs. Barron writes very near Jane Austen's style, which is an amzing feat.......and mixing it with Austen's personal history.....and clever mysteries......is just plain fun!

I have one more library choice.....and the back to ploughing through Middlemarch!   

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Rachel May wrote:

I have so many books going right now, I'm curious. 'Fess up everyone, how many books are in your "to be read" pile?

in a horrible looking stack, next to my bed, above my desk:

I am embarrassed to say there are 35

and of course, that does not count the books all over my shelves that still need reading

or, the ILLs on their way to the library

I AM planning on painting my room soon........so, that pile WILL find a new home   

that pile includes EMMA........half re-read

now, off to the Rosary......my time here is gone!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Chari wrote:
I am embarrassed to say there are 35

Wow! I feel like a slacker. I only have about 10! Oh, and a few on the shelves that I've been meaning to pull down, like the Joy of NFP.........

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2006 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rachel May wrote:

Too many...that I have to put them back on the bookshelf periodically, so my count is short, but what I have out right now is about 13. My nightstand is too small, so my pile is under/next to my bed. Very messy!

But this weekend I was able to FINISH two books. That's huge for me. I have bad habits of 1) reading too many at a time and 2) not always finishing the books I read. Too many unfinished books lying around here!

JOHN PAUL THE GREAT by Peggy Noonan. Very fabulous. Elizabeth had mentioned in another thread how this book is womanly reading, and I heartily agree. It's not a biography by any stretch, just little personal memories of her spiritual father. It's very spiritually moving, at least to me!

The other book, Toilet Training in Less than One Day. I'm about to embark on a new journey.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2006 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Chari wrote:
Karen..........I was an amazing reader in my childhood......and while I read at least a thousand books...prob more......as that is almost all I did in my spare time..no one was guiding me or giving me example......and most of it was useless, or worse    .....you are NOT alone.

That describes my own childhood as well, Chari! I have always loved to read, and my parents were big readers, too but I never remember them recommending books or preventing me from reading them either. In high school, the few classics we did have to read were relentlessly torn apart and analyzed, and I think that turned me off to anything else like that. I'm so thankful to have the chance now to read them!
Karen T
p.s. I think I did read Wuthering Heights as a teen, but don't remember any of it.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 22 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Chari wrote:
When my dd was younger........I had to preread a lot of books, mostly classics.....since I did not know when she was ready for them........and now, they are my favorite books.....and hers, too

That is exactly the stage that I am at, Chari. I just love so much of the children's lit that I am pre-reading for the girls right now!

I have a related question: Are any of you aware of a book review webpage that would help me with the process of pre-reading? I am thinking of something along the lines of the movie review pages like Screenit or Plugged In . . . but for books . . . something that would warn me that a book includes morally troubling topics or themes or scenes. If it doesn't exist, maybe we could all create something like that here at 4Real as a resource for one another.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 22 2006 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I finished three more books in the past week:

FAREWELL TO THE ISLAND by Gloria Whelan
RETURN TO THE ISLAND by Gloria Whelan

Both of these are sequels to THIS ISLAND OF OURS, which I mentioned earlier. I enjoyed both sequels, and they will be fine reading for the girls, but I liked the first book better. The sequels fall into the category of historical fiction about a fiesty, independent heroine who experiences things that simply don't ring completely true for the time period. Do you know what I mean?

I also finally finished A MOTHER'S RULE OF LIFE. I can't imagine myself putting Holly's plans into action in my life in the way she did, but I took much of value away from this book.

Last night I started reading Jane Austen's EMMA for my own enjoyment. I like it very much so far.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2006 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Karen T wrote:
That describes my own childhood as well, Chari! I have always loved to read, and my parents were big readers, too but I never remember them recommending books or preventing me from reading them either. In high school, the few classics we did have to read were relentlessly torn apart and analyzed, and I think that turned me off to anything else like that. I'm so thankful to have the chance now to read them!
Karen T
p.s. I think I did read Wuthering Heights as a teen, but don't remember any of it.

For some strange reason.....I DID actually choose a few classics in high school.........War and Peace anyone?? What was I thinking?????

I read Wuthering Heights as a teen just for fun ....I loved it! Re-read it, Karen! My dd and I just watched the most recently filmed version........and it was actually quite good!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2006 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote Chari

teachingmom wrote:

I have a related question: Are any of you aware of a book review webpage that would help me with the process of pre-reading? I am thinking of something along the lines of the movie review pages like Screenit or Plugged In . . . but for books . . . something that would warn me that a book includes morally troubling topics or themes or scenes. If it doesn't exist, maybe we could all create something like that here at 4Real as a resource for one another.

Good question, Irene! There is a website somewhere.....by a Catholic homeschooling family, no less! I will have to see if I can find it......

actually........there is another one, too.....Shawna.....if you read this...can you remember the lady who sends out that email newsletter of book reviews??

A list like that would be great.........are YOU volunteering?   

If not .....how about for NOW.....just ask us for help as needed.......and when my children are grown.....maybe I can do something like that for you .....or for your grandchildren

and now.......my last few completed books:

Forever Liesl: A Memoir of The Sound of Music by Charmian Carr, the gal who played Liesl in Sound of Music.......this was a fun and fast read.............and great fun for Sound of Music fans!! I recommend heartily!

Walking With Frodo by Sarah Arthur............if you are a LOTR fan.....you may enjoy this book......check it out on amazon.....I really liked it.....I think it added to my enjoyment of LOTR........and now I am excited to re-read the trilogy!

Anyone else finish up any books in February?

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2006 at 2:28am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Chari wrote:
I DID actually choose a few classics in high school.........War and Peace anyone?? What was I thinking?????

I read Wuthering Heights as a teen just for fun ....I loved it!

I read War and Peace as a teen and loved it - maybe because I had watched a BBC serialisation that caught my imagination? Wuthering Heights, on the other hand, I couldn't get in to. Had to read it for school, and didn't like it. I wasn't keen on Jane Eyre either, so maybe it is a Bronte thing.

To add to my list of completed books:
The Tale of Hill Top Farm by Susan Wittig Albert (thanks to those of you who recommended this one a while ago)

How the Heather Looks by Joan Bodger - story of her family's trip round England in the 1950s visiting places associated with children's literature

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote Chari

WOW........Kathryn.......how many other teens take time for War and Peace..........I loved Anna Karinina, too.....Do you read that one? I am assuming it is unsafe for my daughter......I want to re-read it, to see.

Last night, I stayed up with my TEEN (see enjoying teen thread ), way too late    ........while she put finishing touches on her paper for her college English course......so, I finished Lost Horizon by James Hilton. It was required reading in my senior english class.......and I remembered enjoying it.....so, I re-read it to see if my teens could read it.

It's pretty safe. But definitely a better read for the olders, than youngers.

Now.......back to plowing through Middlemarch, yet again......though I KNOW those LOve Language books are on their way from ILL!

Have a blessed day!

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 01 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

It's a very long time since I read it, but yes, I think Anna Karenina would be more problematic than War and Peace. Shorter though . I think I liked the sheer scope of War and Peace. Anna Karenina didn't appeal to me much because I'm just not a tragic romance person.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 01 2006 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Chari wrote:
Anyone else finish up any books in February?

With the girls, I finished up Lissa's Charlotte books:

THE ROAD FROM ROXBURY
ACROSS THE PUDDINGSTONE DAM

We also finished up the last three books in the Fairchild series by Rebecca Caudill:

SCHOOLHOUSE IN THE WOODS
UP AND DOWN THE RIVER
SCHOOLROOM IN THE PARLOR

And also:
THE PENDERWICKS by Jeanne Birdsall

I am continuing with Jane Austen's EMMA. For a number of chapters there, I was feeling that is was too predictable. I must admit that I have a hard time with some of the endless conversations of the wealthy at leisure. Did many people really live lives like that--with nothing to fill their days but visiting back and forth with the same half-dozen neighbors all day every day?! There have been a few interesting turns in the plot now, so I am more hooked on the story than I was a week ago.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2006 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Chari wrote:

For some strange reason.....I DID actually choose a few classics in high school.........War and Peace anyone?? What was I thinking?????

I read Wuthering Heights as a teen just for fun ....I loved it! Re-read it, Karen! My dd and I just watched the most recently filmed version........and it was actually quite good!

Well, I've been staying off the computer a lot more, and doing more reading, knitting, and sewing, so I listened to Wuthering Heights while knitting/sewing. Ooh, I was SO disappointed in Heathcliff's character- I didn't remember much of the book at all, maybe I never did read it all before. Not nearly as good as Jane Eyre, IMO, but still glad I finished it.

As for War and Peace, that one I did read, but way back in 6th or 7th grade (OK, I was obnoxious and read it on a dare from someone). Since it wasn't assigned, I got through it, but I'm sure my understanding of it was pretty thin.

I just finished re-reading the entire Chronicles of Narnia series and enjoyed them just as much (maybe more) than in childhood. wow, the parallels to our times right now are staggering when you get towards the end of the series!

The other book I'm reading is my Lenten reading - Growing in the Virtues of Jesus, which I bought to go along with the Virtue Tree for ds12; I'm enjoying my reading very much so far.

Karen T

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 19 2006 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Good for you, Karen! Lots of reading, sewing and knitting........keep it up!!

I finished up three books this week:

Toward a Growing Marriage by Gary Chapman.......this was okay, definitely worth a read if you have not got married yet.....but does talk about s*x, so not for your late teens.......definitely some useful info......

Comedies by Oscar Wilde

Have any of you ever read Wilde? Willa, did your father read Wilde? He is VERY funny! The Importance of Being Earnest was not at all what I expected! I love his incredible insight.........he just throws lots of copywork gems into his stories.........there were four stories, or rather, plays, altogether. I will finish up the last one here shortly. A good and quick diversion.....

The Story of King Arthur & His Knights by Howard Pyle

WE LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! I just read it aloud to the kids. It is SO funny........and SO clean.......and the language is such fun!!

my favorite: "And their troth was plighted."   

There is so much copywork at the end of the chapters for ME to put into MY journal.

I copied one for you here:

....so doth a man's duty sometimes appear to him to be ugly and exceedingly ill-favored unto his desires. But when he shall have wedded himself unto that duty so that he hath made it one with him as a bridegroom maketh himself one with his bride, then doth that duty become of a sudden very beautiful unto him and unto others.

So may it be with ye that you shall take duty unto yourselves no matter how much it may mislike ye to do so. For indeed a man shall hardly have any real pleasure in his life unless his inclination becometh wedded unto his duty and cleaveth unto it as a husband cleaveth unto his wife. For when inclination is thus wedded unto duty, then doth the soul take great joy unto itself as though a wedding had taken place betwixt a bridegroom and a bride within its tabernacle.

There's more...........but I can only type so much. Isn't it just food for thought??? The kids and I are having great conversations based on these stories. It is very sweet at the end of the book when Pyle asks God to bless us.

We will be starting the second of the 4 volumes this week.

Now........I wonder how many books I will actually read WHILE I am reading Middlemarch   

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I've been enjoying the books from my Jane Austen collection. So far I've read:

EMMA

LADY SUSAN (One of the most horrid and selfish main characters ever! Interesting book. Jane Austen wrote it earlier than her others, but it was published later.)

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (It reminded me of how faithful the recent movie was to the story line -- except for that ending, that is!)

And I've begun SENSE AND SENSIBILITY.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 19 2006 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

How fun for you, Irene!

It was five years ago that I was also due with MY sixth baby in October........that I first read all of Jane Austen........what a fun way to spend a pregnancy!

Lady Susan IS awful.

When you are done with JA books..........try the Jane Austen mysteries...........fun!

Also..............the Oscar Wilde comedies above are very similar to Jane's way of looking at English society.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version