Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Poems for K-3ers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

I'm looking to start doing some poetry each day with the kids. We're starting a morning basket (really looking forward to it) and I'd like to include poetry.

What poems (books or printables online) are a good place to start?

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

My favorite book of poetry is Favorite Poems Old and New. I go back to it again and again. It is in regular use here.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

What is a *morning basket*???? Please do share!
Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

DivineMercy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote DivineMercy

I second Favorite Poems Old and New. I also like going through A Child's Garden of Verses by Stevenson or poetry by A.A. Milne.

Michelle
Back to Top View DivineMercy's Profile Search for other posts by DivineMercy

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

This is the morning basket.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Lindsey
I really love Robert Louis Stevenson poetry for ones this age. I've immersed my children in him and love listening to my older ones join in as I recite to the younger ones now.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Lindsey,

I second (or is it third ) Favorite Poems Old and New. We are focusing on birds this Nature Study year and there is a whole section just on bird poems!!!! We started last year with a Child's Garden of verses as the first book of poems we ever read through and my children still recite "Rain" every time it rains

If you want to get into something more intense or go down a rabbit trail there is this amazing Poetry unit over at Homeschool share. We are going to try it over the summer 'cause it looks great! Oh and that book is at our library so no new books on the shelves!

Good Luck and enjoy your morning basket, we sure do!!!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

montessori_lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote montessori_lori

The poems I chose for my Poetry Kit are perfect for that age:

Poetry Kit

Poetry books:

A Child’s Anthology of Poetry — edited by Elizabeth Hauge Sword

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children compiled by Jack Prelutsky, illustrated by Arnold Lobel

Rose, Where Did You Get That Red?: Teaching Great Poetry to Children by Kenneth Koch

Modern day children's poets:

Shel Silverstein, Jack Prelutsky, Jeff Moss, Judith Viorst, Bruce Lansky, Kenn Nesbitt, Karla Kuskin, and Jean Marzollo

Classical children's poets:

Langston Hughes, Emily Dickinson, William Carlos Williams, Edward Lear, Ogden Nash, Christina Rosetti, Robert Louis Stevenson, and Basho Matsuo

As with everything, I recommend you read things first before showing them to children because the appropriateness can differ by age, etc.

Back to Top View montessori_lori's Profile Search for other posts by montessori_lori

Land O' Cotton
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Land O' Cotton

I have a copy of an old orange cover Childcraft from the 1950's. It is the Poetry of Early Childhood. I think the orange cover Childcrafts are hard to find, but if you stumble on one at a book sale or thrift grab it. The illustrations are beautiful!

Vicki

Back to Top View Land O' Cotton's Profile Search for other posts by Land O' Cotton

Anastasia
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Anastasia

The Harp and Laurel Wreath has some good poems for the little ones.
Back to Top View Anastasia's Profile Search for other posts by Anastasia Visit Anastasia's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

My favorites are:

Random House Book of Poetry for Children

Journey Through Time in Verse and Rhyme

We only do a poem or two each month, because I'd like for my children to really memorize them, so that they will call upon that memory of them in the future. I found that when we read a new poem a day, we did get exposed to a lot of poetry, but we didn't really *know* any. So doing just one or two well-chosen poems a month works well for us here. I've found these two resources to be perfect for choosing from.

Have fun!
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Lindsay,
The book used in the Homeschool Share is one of our favorites. I'm not usually a big fan of compiled poetry sort of mixed together, but this one is done excellently. My children really enjoyed it.

We also enjoy Stevenson poems (I have several versions of his poetry) and the A. A. Milne poems which might be more appropriate next year (Now we are Six).

Don't forget Mother Goose too. I'll be honest I have a difficult time getting into MG, but if you keep a few of them in memory you can recite them during the day to set off activities like baking or washing up, or to emphasize the days of the week. The kids like that.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote melanie

I wanted to fourth Favorite Poems Old and New. We just got a nice hardcover edition from Emmanuel Books last week, and it's wonderful! My favorite poetry book we have so far I think. Though we also really like Sing a Song of Popcorn...that one has wonderful illustrations.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

Thank you for all the recommendations!

Decisions, decisions...

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

The Random House Book of Poetry that Lori mentioned has a nice selection of poems, and the kids love the pictures.

I find it is a nice addition to Favorite Poems Old and New (which I also love).
It has pictures (which FPON does not have), and it has poems by some modern authors, including Shel Silverstein- we love his Valentine's Day poem.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version