Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Mackfam - home management box? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

You said you out grew your binder. Could you share about the box? What/how do you use it?

Thanks,
Theresa

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Sure!

Be back later to share!

Let's open this up to a home management organization thread! What works for you? A binder? A file system? Have you found a tool that is really helpful - like a label maker?

Let's share all things home management organizers!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Here you go, Theresa!

I took a few pics for you of my home management box. It lives here on the cranberry red cabinet in my kitchen - that's it on the left....

Here it is up close....

It's a sturdy cardboard box covered with a red toile and would be easy enough to make at home with a sturdy box of a large enough size and spray adhesive and a medium weight fabric. Just for reference the box measures 10 3/4" x 14 3/4". I found my box at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $8.

So...a little about the binder and why I ended up in a box. I started off in a home management binder, originally inspired by Kim's home management binder posts at Starry Sky Ranch (in fact if you scroll down and look at her right sidebar she has a whole collection of inspiring posts on the home management binder.) Well, I made mine and found it quite useful and helpful. And I used it...and used it...and opened it...and closed it...and added to it...and well, you can imagine what's coming next can't you? The binder was falling apart. I could have just made a new binder, but I observed that I usually just flipped open a tab and dropped something in the binder telling myself I'd slip it in a sheet protector later. It did give items a place to land, but I didn't take the time to maintain it or add something directly to a sheet protector in the binder.

Sooooo....I figured I really needed to use a filing system like the one I use in our learning room - nice files - drop and go. I hadn't really started actively hunting when I came upon the red toile box at Hobby Lobby. I like that it has a lid. The drawback is that files aren't always standing up and accessible, but I think it looks tidy in the kitchen this way - with the lid on you can't tell it's my home management center.

When you open it it looks like this:

I just lift the files up and use them - grabbing a reference for something - a chore list, a phone number, a menu - or I drop something in. One thing I wanted to do was make sure that the files for my home management center were distinct from the files in my learning room files so that they couldn't be mistaken for each other. I found these pretty black and white toile file folders at Target.

Here's what you'd find in my home management center:

** Tape
** Heavy Victorian clips for holding collections of paper
** Pencils and sharpie
** Small scissors
** Small plastic envelopes - these are for small collections - coupons, seed packets for the garden, allowance collections for the children, small paint cards or magazine clippings (if I'm working on a room I keep all the clippings/ideas/paint samples in one plastic envelope to tuck in my purse for shopping.)
** Journal for budgeting - My husband gives me a weekly allowance and I use one page/week from the journal to record my expenses so I can keep up with what I've spent and what's left.

Files
** Old Menus - I file all my old menus for inspiration during those times when I can't figure out what I made this time last year. I purge annually.
** Menu Masters - These are copies of my weekly menu sheet and seasonal menu plan. I keep a small basket with my clipboard and menu plans on it in another work area of my kitchen. When I'm ready to work on next week's menu, or create a new seasonal master menu, I pull a copy from here.
** Health and Nutrition - articles I'm keeping
** Home Decor Inspiration - from magazine clippings
** Contacts and Phone Numbers
** Chore Charts - I put a lot of thought into these. I have a cleaning chart for every room of our house. I specify everything! I did this because of the level of crisis we enter into when I become pregnant, and I've found that these work during any crisis time. Here's what I've got:
  1. Girl's Bedroom
  2. Boy's Bedroom
  3. Music Room
  4. Upstairs/Kids Bathrooms
  5. Downstairs bathrooms
  6. Kitchen
  7. Van cleanup
  8. Living Room
  9. Quick Tidy
  10. Laundry Specifics
  11. Crisis Cleaning List

** Cleaning Sheet Masters - these have homemade cleaning solution recipes, ideas for deep cleaning, ideas for swish cleaning (you know...that super fast clean you do right before company). All my favorite ideas and resources I keep here - including those I clip from magazines.
** Take Out Menus - Nothing delivers out here, but occasionally my husband will stop and pick something up for us and bring it home. It helps to have a menu handy.
** Project Lists for the House - We keep a running list of things that need to be done, priority lists ranking projects that must be done first, long term projects, etc. This is mainly for my husband. We walk through and around the house together quarterly making notes and lists and sit down and prioritize them together and then we keep all our notes in here. My husband can just go to our lists, see what needs to be done first, start a budget plan for it if it's a big project, and then we get to work. It helps both of us to have all the lists, all the plans - both long term and to be done this weekend - in one place. This is it!
** Wishlists - clippings from catalogs go here for wishing.
** Gardening Plans

The general idea is that all things "homekeeping" have a place to land. I needed it to be central, and I wanted it to be pretty. I'm very content with the outcome. Hope this has been helpful to you, Theresa!   If I didn't explain something well, or you have a question, let me know! And, there's plenty of room for improvement here...I'd love to here any ideas you all have for how you tend a home management center - whether it's in a binder or box!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jennifer - very inspirational. Mine is soooo ugly - it is very useful and helpful, but it is a plain black binder with many post-it notes all over it. I discussed with my husband this morning about making it pretty - and he looked at the crayon scribble all over the pages and the stickers stuck on it (by a sweet blonde 2 year old!) and said that he thought it was perfect! :)

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lisbet wrote:
he looked at the crayon scribble all over the pages and the stickers stuck on it (by a sweet blonde 2 year old!) and said that he thought it was perfect! :)

Oh, I'm not sure I could change it either, Lisa! It does sound perfect!

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Forget the box, I want your kitchen!      Where is that drool icon?   

In all seriousness, thank you for this information. Getting to the described level of organization is a long-term goal of mine. You never cease to inspire and awe in the organization department, Jennifer!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

If anyone is planning on looking more deeply at home management folders, I recently gathered a whole lot of links together. (Thanks Jennifer )

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I just want Jen to come to my house and be my personal organizational manager.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Erin wrote:
If anyone is planning on looking more deeply at home management folders, I recently gathered a whole lot of links together. (Thanks Jennifer )

Thank you!

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I'm curious, Jennifer, how often do you clean out your box? I seem to start a similar system and before long I've got so many papers, I can't close the lid on one box so things move to another pile and another box and so on and so on. I cleaned out my gardening basket today and I had clippings from 2002!!      I tend to clip a LOT from magazines and newspapers but seem to fail in the follow thru.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Aw Jen, come on up and organize me! I have some great ideas and I need another adult in the room that is excited about it as I am!! maybe one that won't mind painting??

I love your ideas...and I am HIGHLY visual...so keep the pics comin!!
This is lovely!

I think if I make my files lovely I might be more inclined to keep them up.

I am actually looking for a basket that holds file folders for my bills and financial records to make them disappear at times and be beautiful when I don't need to look at them Any ideas for that...oh my basket loving buddy?

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angela and Booksnbabes,
Thank you so much, gals! I love doing this kind of thing...and it's so nice to be able to share it with all of you!

Erin wrote:

That's a great collection of links, Erin! I'm glad you added that! There are some I need to look through!

Kathryn wrote:
I'm curious, Jennifer, how often do you clean out your box?

It depends, Kathryn...I don't think I have a really good system for this. If my file is getting kind of fat and cumbersome, I just pull it out, weed through it, purge where I can, and sometimes I find I don't want to purge, but rather want to break off into more folders for filing. That's what was happening with my menus at first. I had old menus, weekly menu masters, seasonal menu masters, old seasonal menus, monthly what's in season listing...and it was too much in one file. I noticed that it was too much and needed different file folders so I broke out the sections and it's much more manageable. I'm sure I should look through this regularly with an eye towards purging, but I don't really. If a file or section is getting unwieldy, I purge.

Kathryn wrote:
I tend to clip a LOT from magazines and newspapers but seem to fail in the follow thru.

I do that too, Kathryn. A girl can dream though, right? It might be nice to just sit at the kitchen table and sort your clippings and see what you come up with - maybe sort by room. If you know you're never gonna add that indoor swimming pool in your laundry room, purge that one. But, I tend to keep a lot of inspiring clippings 'cause like Donna Marie, I'm very visual and love those pictures!

Donna Marie wrote:
Aw Jen, come on up and organize me! I have some great ideas and I need another adult in the room that is excited about it as I am!! maybe one that won't mind painting??

Be right there, Donna Marie! It is nice to share and bounce organizing ideas off each other! You ladies inspire me so much with your creativity and I've learned so much from all of you!

Donna Marie wrote:
I love your ideas...and I am HIGHLY visual...so keep the pics comin!!

Did you want to see something else in particular? Or were you just giddy about pictures of toile gracing the boards?

Donna Marie wrote:
I think if I make my files lovely I might be more inclined to keep them up.

It might be helpful. I am drawn to the prettiness of the box and the files. It makes me happy to look at it as I stand at the table scraping the mountain of crumbs from every known surface and glancing at the big puddle of orange juice that explains why I've been sticking to that certain spot under the table. I just look up at the pretty red toile box. Isn't that nice of me to simplify all our problems and provide the solution? All you need is a pretty toile box and you'll be happy in the kitchen.

Donna Marie wrote:
I am actually looking for a basket that holds file folders for my bills and financial records to make them disappear at times and be beautiful when I don't need to look at them Any ideas for that...oh my basket loving buddy?    

Weellllllllllllll......I might like Peterboro baskets...but they're soooo expensive. There's this option which would hold your files upright and has a handle so you could slog it to the table when it's time to take out the pretty files and reveal the ugly bills. And then, you could always put the lid on all of them with this basket and just set it aside when you don't need to look in there. It's large enough that you could store all your stamps and bill paying needs in it.

I'd say...think outside the box and look for a container that was never intended to hold files or be a home management center at a thrift store or flea market and then spruce it up. And consider this...if you could find a sturdy box at the thrift store, you could easily cover it with wallpaper remnants (if the box isn't plastic) or fabric (which would be my preference!) And...don't forget to go shop in your attic - often a cast aside box would be perfect all dressed up! Add pretty file folders and voila! Oh, I just thought of another idea - Target has these really pretty vinyl wall cling/stickers now - I saw them the last time I was there. A few of those would really dress up a plain but sturdy box. Scrapbook paper and modge podge would be a creative solution as well.

Sure hope some of these ideas help! And...you all might feel perfectly comfortable in your binders! Goodness knows I have a weakness for decorating and using binders for just about everything as well! Either way...it sure is fun sharing with you gals!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Angel

You know... in all seriousness... I have a lukewarm relationship with home management binders, etc. The first time I started to make one, I got bogged down in all the details and never even finished putting the binder together.

After a while I realized that I really did need a place to store "stuff" (our lists of local farms, meat prices, the acetamenophin dosage chart, the septic tank care brochure... etc.), so -- taking a deep breath -- I dove back in and put together a circa notebook. I like circa because, with the punch, you can put anything in the notebook: index cards, brochures... they used to sell little address cards (which I really like, but I can't find them on the site now, hmmm)... and I get a lot of use out of their zip pockets. I bought the punch and a few notebooks to get started a few years ago with some Christmas money I had. The punch is not cheap, but I think over the years I will probably get my money's worth from it because I do go through periods where I make a lot of notebooks!

Anyway, I began having the problem Jen describes above: I'd just drop things into the notebook, saying I'd punch them later, except I didn't. So I put a few files to hold household information in my file crate: medical, food, and gardening are the categories that get the most information over the course of a year. The problem with this is that everybody piles stuff on top of my file crate -- school papers, artwork, stuff for me to look at, etc. etc. So I'm always behind on filing and I can never actually get to those files. And, since I use my file crate to keep the kids' work (something Dawn does not do), it gets pretty stuffed over the course of the year. I find my "medical", "gardening", and "food" files getting lost.

So. I ordered some wall baskets from Peterboro (that look sort of like this without the garter), but as it turns out they are too tapered for files. (They work well as an in basket, though, for all those papers that have been getting piled up on my file crate). My *other* problem is that I have no counter or furniture space to hold another file box.

My other, other problem is that if I cannot see something, it does not exist. So I can't use a box with a lid, unfortunately... people would just pile stuff on top of it and anyway, I would forget all about what I put it in it.

As you can see, I am a very challenging person when it comes to organizing. I went through all my papers this weekend, actually, and have been ruminating on possible solutions. Right now I am thinking that I need a few different filing systems:

*a crate to store school papers, artwork, etc.
*a crate to store information I will use for "lesson planning" (I don't really do any "lesson planning", as such, but I do use information to prepare activities for the kids)
*somewhere to store the clippings that I come up with, catalogs, etc.
*a book or a place to put the really important information that I use often (the list of farms, for instance, and the dosage chart)

If I only had somewhere to put all the storage systems!!!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Jennifer,

Thank you so much for the pictures. I am such a visual person.

I like the file folders and do already use them in a file cabinet for everything loose that we have need to keep. I primarily use my binder for schedules and cleaning routines, meals and menu's and other household info.

Thanks for sharing. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the idea of a box.   

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm loving this thread! Beautiful ideas again Jennifer!
Years ago I read an organization book and the author said you basically have to admit to yourself whether you're a "filer" or a "piler". Each type would use a different organizational system. I decided I was a filer, because that sounded more "tidy" to me. Well, ten years (or more!) of trying to be a filer and I'm realizing I'm a piler! If I file something neatly away in my nice filing cabinet, i forget it until I clean out the cabinet and find all the stuff I thought I'd lost!    The problem is, I don't remember what the book was so I can't go back and read about organizational systems for Pilers!
However! I think your box might be the key Jen! I use lots of baskets because they hold the piles neatly, but things are still in sight so I don't forget them. I think if I take my failing file systems and figure out a way to use nice boxes or baskets it would work much better. Thanks for the inspiration!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Okay, I'm going to admit it. I love being organized. I admire everyone's home management binders and crates and boxes. BUT....I don't get it. I don't use any of these systems. I don't quite understand why everyone else does. Am I missing something? Am I a "bad" wife because I don't do this? Can you please explain the need, the reasons for having this? I feel left out....

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Paula in MN wrote:
Okay, I'm going to admit it. I love being organized. I admire everyone's home management binders and crates and boxes. BUT....I don't get it. I don't use any of these systems. I don't quite understand why everyone else does. Am I missing something? Am I a "bad" wife because I don't do this? Can you please explain the need, the reasons for having this? I feel left out....

Of course you don't NEED any of this!!! If you're working/functioning/maintaining/keeping up with everything already then it ain't broke - don't fix it, my friend!!!

Here's why I DO NEED something like this:

** I was finding that I was starting to lose track of some of the details of running the home by winging it. (Not saying you are at all...the finger is pointed at ME!!!!!) I had phone numbers scribbled in all sorts of places...project lists weren't well thought out, so they weren't seeing action...cooking and shopping were done spontaneously (read: not thoughtfully) and always results in me spending more money...etc. When I saw Kim Fry's post about a binder bringing it all together I was relieved and thought, "YES"!!!!!!!! This was to act as my assistant - a tool - and it has done so surprisingly well.

** It's not unusual for us to move quickly into survival mode for a few pressing reasons - I needed something that would act as a rudder (chore charts, menus, important contacts, etc) for my mom who at times has to step in completely. It's easier for mom to see that trash is gathered on Monday, the house gets a quick tidy every afternoon before dinner, and I have a plan for meals. She feels relieved that the decisions are made - and she can just say, "your mom has it written down here - so that's what we're going to do." I DON'T expect normal living routines to go on during survival time (in fact, I have a whole routine written just for survival times!) But the children DO need routine - it's reassuring to them when everything else is so unsettling. This is a big part of my reason for doing this.

** I wasn't keeping up with everything - I had no place to keep things I wanted to keep and found inspirational.

I don't know if these reasons help you see why I needed something like this - it's really just a place - one place - for all the needs/papers/ideas of home management to come together so that they work more for me rather than me having to hunt and find them. This kind of organizing tool is DEFINITELY NOT a requirement!!!!!    You can use your pretty boxes for books! or knitting happys or secret stashes of chocolate!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Mackfam wrote:
or secret stashes of chocolate!

Oh, THAT!

I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning why you do this, more why should/would I start.

We have a simple recipe holder with our favorites. We have our personal phone book, and luckily no one has moved so it actually looks pretty tidy. We have one manila folder that holds all the warranties, instruction manuals, etc. Most importantly, we have my FIL. He and my dh built the house 6 years ago, and my FIL has any additional paperwork at his house. And if something goes wrong he comes and fixes it. I wonder if I should put him in a box......

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, I didn't feel you were questioning me at all, Paula!!! I just didn't want you to feel like you had to jump on this bandwagon if you have a system that's already working for you! And, it sure sounds like you do!!!! I wouldn't mess with a thing! Unless you just want to!

And...can I borrow your FIL?

Seriously, I saw those amazing shelves he built in your schoolroom! You're one lucky gal!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Mackfam wrote:
And...can I borrow your FIL?

Seriously, I saw those amazing shelves he built in your schoolroom! You're one lucky gal!

Jennifer, he's trying to buy a plane in Texas. If the deal goes through I'll steer him your way... It'd be a bit of a drive, but he could test out the plane...

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version