Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Mackfam - home management box? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote Angel

At Evlogia this morning there is an excellent post about her Cycles of Gracenotebook(s) and household files, all contained in a basket. Very helpful post!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Thanks for posting this Angela. I love the "Cycles of Grace" title and the beautiful notebooks. I also like the way she uses the binders AND a basket. Maybe that's my answer!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Rosesinsummer
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote Rosesinsummer

Thanks for this post. I know Fly Lady has a control journal/notebook that is similar.

I definitely need to pull something together..... I wish I was one of those born organized people. These kinds of projects are really difficult for me. I often start and never finish, or get stuck in the details and decision making of how to make it "perfect"

Maybe part of the problem is I want it done now. I need to learn patience and make it a goal to put it together a bit at a time, even if it takes several months. Then I can use it and tweak it to meet our families needs.

Oh, and I also like the post about Cycles of Grace.   I think Liturgical/Seasonal notebooks sounds like a great idea!

Lyda    
Back to Top View Rosesinsummer's Profile Search for other posts by Rosesinsummer

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Oh, Lyda, that's me too! I'd rather eat the elephant whole than in small bites!    I'm trying though, as I know life rolls along more smoothly when organized.

Thanks, all, for this thread!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Booksnbabes wrote:
Oh, Lyda, that's me too! I'd rather eat the elephant whole than in small bites!    I'm trying though, as I know life rolls along more smoothly when organized.

Thanks, all, for this thread!

I'm seeing the wisdom in the box/basket system for this, though, since all my little bites often get so lost.

I'm toying with using Microsoft OneNote to create my system. I figured out yesterday that I can create different templates for pretty, and I could print them out if I choose, but prior to printing them out, they are already accessible in a notebook/filefolder format virtually which is less cumbersome than multiple word documents. It isn't as flexible as Word in making things pretty, but I can "print" to OneNote and store the document as a file page there.

Wow, I'm glad I typed that out. It helped me troubleshoot a bit, lol.

Yesterday I made a recipe card template to start putting my Fall menu rotation recipes in. My plan is to print them and laminate them and put them on a ring for easy access so I don't keep looking up the same old recipes in a bunch of different cookbooks. I have a binder that my mom made of family favorites, and yet, I don't want ALL our favorite recipes on the cards including the family favorite recipe for that dish we make twice a year. This is more for the recipes we use at least monthly if not weekly or more. You'd think I'd have them memorized, but I don't, and the ones I do, my husband doesn't.

One cool feature for OneNote that I keep thinking is awesome but forgetting to use is the ability to quickly take a snapshot of any webpage and paste it into a notebook page. Perfect for shopping, brainstorming, and filing away ideas for future reference.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It's not pretty but.. those who find "out of sight is out of mind" I use a bulletin board rather extensively.. phone numbers, CCD schedule, alter server schedule, my physical calender, bills (paying bills is so much easier when they land on my bulletin board right after they get here). I tuck scraps of paper with phone numbers into a pretty jar/vase and I have a basket for a catch all on top of my computer and a basket on a bookself for recipes.. but I also have a recipe book so that for the most often used recipes I can just grab the book.. this is also nice when we're visiting family and may help with the cooking.. toss it into a bag to go along and I have my most needed recipes.

My problem is not organizing.. Oh I can do a bang up job getting everything organized. But the moment I'm done it starts to fall apart because I'm absolutely abysmal at maintaining it. Things that don't get used often I can maintain. My totes for handme down clothes are wonderful.. but I only get them out about 2 times a year.. maybe a few extras here and there.. but because it's not something I need to use every day and often in a hurry I can keep up with them.

but I can't walk away from something and come back to it (it gets messed up or grows toddler sized feet etc) so things just get dumped and shoved and piled and then later I look at it, get overwhelmed and walk away until I just can't stand it and then have to let everything else fall apart in order to reorganize it.. again.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Jodie, I feel your pain, and I'm convinced that a labelmaker will solve this.

I'm starting to realize that I am a piler and not a filer. The problem is that I live in space with little surface area for spreading out baskets. I think perhaps hanging baskets or hanging wall file boxes could be a solution for some things, but I'd really like to solve this without buying anything.

I'm also trying to wrap my head around a "basket" for dh. I'm often finding his "work" for his current project or even battery chargers and the like spread about my kitchen and dining room. He doesn't have a study, and his workshop is the basement; so, I don't mind this except that I can't really do anything with it myself. I feel like he needs a nook, maybe a portable nook, where I can stow his current piles. I'm really struggling with this, though, since it is so variable.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Lindsay, some sort of basket/box/tote but then put the individual project into a bag (a plastic grocery bag maybe with the handles tied) that way they won't get mixed up with each other.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Crunchymom wrote:
Yesterday I made a recipe card template to start putting my Fall menu rotation recipes in. My plan is to print them and laminate them and put them on a ring for easy access so I don't keep looking up the same old recipes in a bunch of different cookbooks.

I LOVE this idea, brilliant Lindsay!! I'm actually getting excited (amazing that)

Crunchymom wrote:
I'm starting to realize that I am a piler and not a filer. The problem is that I live in space with little surface area for spreading out baskets. I think perhaps hanging baskets or hanging wall file boxes could be a solution for some things, but I'd really like to solve this without buying anything.
I'm a piler too, I've been working diligently on filing and have succeeded but... out of sight out of mind. Because I have very little wall space I've started 'filing' more visually on my learning/working blog and that is helping more, I was 'filing' on the computer, which helped with the paper clutter but then I forgot.

Lindsay, what is a labelmaker?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh.. one thing that greatly helps is I use email drafts.. again the out of sight out of mind thing.. when I turn on the computer windows mail automatically opens and I keep it open basically all day.. I save drafts and have a folder for recipes, another to keep up with online shopping, one for songs I like having the words handy, I keep my shopping list there, hiomeschool nees list, case good sale list, herbalcom.com list, waltonfeed list, bucket list (umm this is actually what I have in buckets and how many buckets and how much it holds of that item)

Now I want a calender and notebook on the computer that I can use for this that will sync with a phone so that I can have that information with me anywhere :D

I can't tell you how much better I'm organized by the simple fact of using my phone calender because IT WILL BEEP AT ME so that I can remember what I'm supposed to be doing

-Sir Walter Scott

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Uh oh, Jodie...I already want a smartphone, don't make it a necessity!   

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well just to help you resist.. any of the newer phones with verizon require a data plan which is $30 a month on top of your regular phone service.

There are a couple of older phone options that can sync to the computer and don't require that but then I start fantasizing about being able to get online with the phone rather like a mini-laptop and how dh could use that when he's gone for work.. or we could both be on the computer at home but i could be using the phone and sitting on the couch or back in my room..

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Erin wrote:
Crunchymom wrote:
Yesterday I made a recipe card template to start putting my Fall menu rotation recipes in. My plan is to print them and laminate them and put them on a ring for easy access so I don't keep looking up the same old recipes in a bunch of different cookbooks.

I LOVE this idea, brilliant Lindsay!! I'm actually getting excited (amazing that)

Lindsay, what is a labelmaker?

I'm pretty sure that Martha Stewart planted that idea in my mind years ago and I'm only just getting around to implementing

A labelmaker is a word I made up for label maker

I decided to throw perfectionism to the wind, though, while I don't have one. My birthday is December 4, and I requested one from my family. In the meantime, I swiped a roll of blue painter's tape from dh's workshop and stuck a sharpie in my apron pocket, and I've been labeling as I redefine homes for things this week. I figure that I can have fun with my new toy when I get it (whenever that turns out to be) and go through the house remaking all the blue labels I've made pretty.

So, I just did a quick search, and here is a link to MS's version of my idea. I sort of like my idea of printing them all out the same size better, though, and possibly having them change seasonally.

I also found this idea which I'm making a version of as soon as I can get the baby to bed. I thought I remembered it as one of those MS ideas I wanted to implement some day, and sure enough, it was there. Well, I think it might just be a good match using vertical space like a bulletin board but potentially more organized. I also have all the supplies I need to do it on hand.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Quote:
I also found this idea which I'm making a version of as soon as I can get the baby to bed. I thought I remembered it as one of those MS ideas I wanted to implement some day, and sure enough, it was there. Well, I think it might just be a good match using vertical space like a bulletin board but potentially more organized. I also have all the supplies I need to do it on hand.

This is great. I can use something like this in my kid's bedrooms and maybe near the front door as part of our "launching pad".

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Pamin OZ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote Pamin OZ

I'm the opposite to maybe everyone else on the Internet but Binders don't work for me. Out of sight, out of mind. I think baskets would be the same.   I like the noticeboard idea.

I have a page stuck on my kitchen cupboard which I call my "brain on a page" which is all the things I need to remember- chores, jobs, cleaning, meal ideas etc etc. I like knowing it's instantly accessible- I get stressed trying to remember what's in the binder. I think I have a one-step brain- two steps is just one too many! (sigh)

I am changing my recipe organization to putting each section on a clipboard. Then when I find the recipe I want I can just move it to the front and not have to replace it after I use it.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/paminoz/
Back to Top View Pamin OZ's Profile Search for other posts by Pamin OZ

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Pam sounds like you need one of those big round address files.. rolodex? you know the ones you just flip around and around and don't have to turn back to the front... for recipes I mean

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Okay, so I haven't made the clothespin thingy yet. I couldn't figure out exactly where I wanted it to go, so I wasn't sure of the length.

BUT, I came across this desk, and if you scroll down to number 5., you'll notice the curtain tension rod with clippy curtain rings. I stuck a tension rod with clippy rings under the cabinet I want to make our office station! I already had the clippy rings, and the rod was $3.50 (plus I had a gift card). I'll take a picture when I'm done.

I'm afraid that it doesn't look as elegant as if all I had to hang on it were antique photos, but it is pretty cute, if I say so myself. I think I'm going to try to label by putting a dab of hot glue on a card and the top teeth so the label will always stay in front.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version