Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: All Saints Costumes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

stefoodie wrote:
MarilynW wrote:
stefoodie wrote:
I put together this spreadsheet of easy costumes for our local group last year. It's on spreadsheets.google.com and AFAIK is publicly accessible. It is unfinished though

Stef - that link does not seem to be working? Can I find it on your blog somewhere?

hmmm... could you maybe try again this morning? i just tried and it worked. i thought it has to do with me being signed in to google, so i signed out, but it's working.... so, if it still doesn't work, no idea. i may have to convert it to html.

And the link was working for me as well - even last night.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Yay! I was so glad to see this thread because I just was going to ask a question...my mom picked up a dress at the thrift store that would fit my oldest, said it "looked like something an Ingalls girl would wear." This is a long shot...any Saints come to mind?

As for cheap costume ideas, I am always keeping an eye out for robe-ish type things at the thrift store or on clearance after Halloween to add to my costume box...they can be tweaked and pinned and adapted in lots of ways to make various habits and robes. Also good are any kind of royalty/princess type costumes (for medieval-ish Saints) and I've also picked up things like shields and swords for St. George/St. Michael costumes, and wings to use for St. Gabriel/Raphael.

In a pinch, I've picked up cheap fabric and made a tunic with a few quick stiches and some fabric glue. :)

One year I took a white tshirt of mine, dyed it brown in some tea, and fringed the ends and added some pony beads. This, added to a plain brown skirt we already had, became a St. Kateri costume.

I just lucked out for my 9yo boy! I was at the local grocery picking up some milk, they always have just a handful of holiday things, and they had a small Halloween section. There was a black priest robe costume for $5! haha! So, now he has to pick a Jesuit, lol...

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

stefoodie wrote:
MarilynW wrote:
stefoodie wrote:
I put together this spreadsheet of easy costumes for our local group last year. It's on spreadsheets.google.com and AFAIK is publicly accessible. It is unfinished though

Stef - that link does not seem to be working? Can I find it on your blog somewhere?

hmmm... could you maybe try again this morning? i just tried and it worked. i thought it has to do with me being signed in to google, so i signed out, but it's working.... so, if it still doesn't work, no idea. i may have to convert it to html.

Thanks Stef - it worked for me today. I linked you on my blog. It's a great resource.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Here are the suggestions that I had on my blog with our plans for this year:

1) a fireman for St. Florian

2) a gardener with gloves and a spade for St. Fiacre or a farmer (overalls, red bandanna, play shovel) for St. Isidore

3) A basket of rolls and roses turns an ordinary queen into St. Elizabeth of Hungary

4) St. Joan of Arc can dress like a knight with a skirt instead of trousers

5) A long haired wig and some pretty scarves turned my daughter into St. Mary Magdalene one year

This year we are planning to have St. Margaret of Scotland in a generic queen costume that I bought earlier on clearance. We also will have a
St. Dwynwen (patron of sick animals). I offered a vet's costume, but she wants to dress as the saint so we are planning on repurposing a velour dress and using some ribbon to create a medieval look along with braids. My oldest was

St. Thomas More last year so I am hoping he chooses someone simpler this year!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote Lacy

I just posted some very easy directions for making a Mother Teresa costume:

No Sew Mother Teresa Costume Directions

I'm still looking for 2 more last minute costume ideas before tomorrow morning. I was thinking of putting my daughter in her flower girl dress as St. Bernadette ready for first communion??? I might just throw my son's Sacred Heart T-Shirt on him. Or think of something else super simple.

There's a lot of good ideas at the All Saints' Day Link Up but I'm really not in the mood to sew.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, good, I was going to post that link. It's so clever, Lacy!

For the very little ones, a inside out adult black t-shirt cinched at the waist makes a nice Benedictine saint.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

My 6yo is wearing his baseball uniform and going as the patron saint of athletics, St. Sebastian. :)
We were going to do the patron saint of baseball until we found out that was St. Rita!
Until someone suggest St. Sebastian, we were going to do John the Baptist for him...big white shirt of mine made raggedy looking, belt of some kind, bare feet, some toy "locusts" bugs and a seashell.

My 10yo will be St. Kevin. We need to make some kind of bird's nest for him still.

My 14yo is cooking up something that involved St. Anne...she will use my 2yo girl as a prop there, lol.

Other simple ones we've done have been St. Kateri...I fringed an old brown tshirt and tied pony beads to the fringes...and a farmer costume for St. Isadore, the patron of farmers.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

melanie wrote:
...and a farmer costume for St. Isadore, the patron of farmers.

I did this 2 years ago with my little one. Denim overalls are very effective.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote mama2many

Haven't had time to look, but check out my blog for what we did!! I hit up the thrift store for brown sheets, along with some other odds and ends! and an Amish yard sale for my St. Elizabeth Ann Seton! ;o)

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Not sure what is considered inexpensive but here is a link for Catholic saint costumes I came across. It seems to be family run.

I am excited - my daughter asked to be St. Joan of Arc and I found the most awesome floral metallic fabric at Joann's! I've been working on it the last couple of evenings. Can I post a pic? Is there going to be a forum to brag about your costumes, LOL!   

BTW ~ stefoodie ~ that spreadsheet is incredible. BRAVO!!

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Jenifleur wrote:
Can I post a pic? Is there going to be a forum to brag about your costumes, LOL!   

You can post a picture if you host is somewhere like photobucket and post the code here. Of if you're looking for somewhere to brag, link it up at my All Saints' Link Up or you can upload a picture to my Catholic Icing facebook page

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Ok - sounds great! Honestly - the other costumes I've been viewing are great too. Lovely details. I may be overreacting to its "greatness" because its mine. But I will definitely post a pic. Thanks!

Lacy wrote:
Jenifleur wrote:
Can I post a pic? Is there going to be a forum to brag about your costumes, LOL!   

You can post a picture if you host is somewhere like photobucket and post the code here. Of if you're looking for somewhere to brag, link it up at my All Saints' Link Up or you can upload a picture to my Catholic Icing facebook page

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jenifleur wrote:
Is there going to be a forum to brag about your costumes, LOL!   

There could be if someone starts one. Or post it in one of the old costume threads - like this one. You can email a picture to a forum moderator and we can upload it for you even if it isn't hosted anywhere else, like Lacy mentioned. So there are two options for posting a picture.

And we would love to see any and all pictures members want to share!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Ok ~ now we'll see how my photos turn out. Do all photos have to be uploaded by a moderator? I haven't really seen any posted here besides avatars (of course I haven't really been looking for them either).

MaryM wrote:
Jenifleur wrote:
Is there going to be a forum to brag about your costumes, LOL!   

There could be if someone starts one. Or post it in one of the old costume threads - like this one. You can email a picture to a forum moderator and we can upload it for you even if it isn't hosted anywhere else, like Lacy mentioned. So there are two options for posting a picture.

And we would love to see any and all pictures members want to share!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

It is that time of year again. So what are your children going as this year if you are doing All Saint's parties?

I just saw this great blog post - takes several common costumes readily available and turns them into Saint alternatives. Particularly intriguing are the cephalophores.   

Costumes for All Saints Day AND Halloween

Our Domestic Church

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

We've done St. Maximilian Kolbe in the past. Very easy using white pants and shirt and black electrical tape for stripes. Add glasses (or draw them on!) and voila!

This year, we will have a St. Lawrence ( basic tunic with red and black face paints making "grill marks"... Plus some large BBQ tongs) and St. Sebastian (white t-shirt, arrows coming out, and blood...)

My 2 year old is the perfect size for wearing one of dh's old brown military t-shirts. Tie a rope at the waist, sew a stuffed bird on the shoulder and call him St. Francis of Assisi.

My four year old is begging to be a princess but I'm going to try to convince her to be Mother Teresa instead.      I need easy this year.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version