Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent Candles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was in Joann's and saw some packs of Advent Candles, $5.00. I really, really want to have beeswax candles, but I wanted to make sure I had some for Advent, just in case. And then my gold tapers for Epiphany.

If anyone finds a good source for beeswax taper candles in purple and pink for Advent, please let me know!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 4:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, and I'm putting the candles in my buffet, so I know where they are!

I'm not trying to get an edge on Christmas, but this is one area where I want to make sure we can start on Day 1.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

:nod around here if I wait to get candles often I can't get them.

I use votives though in large wine glasses arranged in the circle.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:

I'm not trying to get an edge on Christmas, but this is one area where I want to make sure we can start on Day 1.

So if you come to the boards for St. Anthony prayers to find your Advent candles we are supposed to remember you posted this, right?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:
JennGM wrote:

So if you come to the boards for St. Anthony prayers to find your Advent candles we are supposed to remember you posted this, right?

Now am I that transparent?

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I found some online somewhere for $11.50 a set; now I just need to track down that website. I'll post when I find it. I remember that in looking at the site they said the burn time is 10 hours. During Advent we leave the wreath lit during dinner, so the first 2 or maybe 3 candles we light won't last the whole time; guess I'll have to get more than one set.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Okay, I found it. . (I would be most grateful to the link fairy for help in making this click-able ).

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

hylabrook1 wrote:
Okay, I found it. beeswaxcandleworks.com. (I would be most grateful to the link fairy for help in making this click-able ).

Peace,
Nancy

Nice. Here are the colors, Plum and lilac and here is the direct link to the Advent Candles.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 18 2009 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Fantastic! Thanks...we always love making our Advent wreath with fresh greens and herbs from the garden, and it will be so nice to have lovely, NICE candles on it!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Does anyone know where I can get pillar Advent candles, preferably beeswax? I need about 2.5" diameter x 4 or 6" .... anyone?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 5:51am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Mary G wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get pillar Advent candles, preferably beeswax? I need about 2.5" diameter x 4 or 6" .... anyone?
Or, has anyone just wrapped a pillar with a sheet of colored wax? Does this work?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Mary, we have done that in the past with mixed results. The beeswax doesn't seem to melt at the same rate as the "cheap" pillars. By Christmas the arrangement wasn't attractive.

The local hardware store (Menards) has lovely soy candles in glass jars that I am using this year.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

We make our advent candles each year with the kit from Illuminated Ink. We do not keep our candles lit for very long after we say our prayers each night, but they do last through the entire season. And they smell very nice as they are rolled from pure beeswax sheets.   

Advent Candle Making Kit

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Mary, these are not beeswax, but they are pillars

Advent Pillar Candles

ETA: sorry, that was supposed to read "not" beeswax. I fixed it.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

This site has some pretty colored beeswax tapers. They don't have pink, but I thought the eggplant was such a pretty shade for a purple candle, I couldn't resist posting. There is also a pretty green that would be lovely on an ordinary time altar or table setting.

There are also some nice plain beeswax tapers and pilars. We have plain beeswax pillars that seem to want to last forever. My husband just tied simple pink and purple ribbon to them, and it works. So, if you can't find colored ones you like, plain with ribbon would work.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Here's a site I found that does have colored pillar beeswax candles -- but at $20/per ... that's $80 just for the 4 advent and then I'd need a white one for Christmas octave .... I think I could spend $100 a bit more productively!

I'm thinking that Lindsay has the right idea -- find good beeswax pillars in that beautiful natural ivory color and put ribbons around ... I'll see what dh wants to do!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I found this company which makes beautiful beeswax tapers Cottage Still Room in a large selection of colors. More variety than I've seen since the Coyote Found Co. days.

Mary, on that site the shorter pillars (4 inch) are about $11.   What size are you wanting? Pure beeswax tapers in natural color from other companies are generally about those same prices as that site.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Okay, so I remembered vaguely that the candles we have that have lasted eons were "church" candles, and I just googled "church candles" and found this site.

I don't know anything else about the company, but a set of Advent, 100% beeswax tapers starts at only $13.

ETA: they are 12 inch candles whereas the $11.50 set above are 10. They are dripless as well, and you can get thicker ones if you like for a bit more.

These are by far the best prices I've seen on beeswax candles--they seem to have just about any size taper you'd need. I also seems it is the "refined" kind instead of the natural straight from the hive kind which might be more appealing to some for a liturgical setting since they look more "white." They also offer 51% beeswax for a bit less than the 100% beeswax.

The prices are good, but since it is a Church site, you'd have to buy some things in quantity (though, not the advent set). However, given the prices for the regular and those nice and thick tapers, I'll bet you could go in halfsies with someone and come out well.

Sorry, Mary G, no beeswax pillars that I could see, but they had regular pillar sets for Advent.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 03 2009 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

MaryM wrote:
I found this company which makes beautiful beeswax tapers Cottage Still Room in a large selection of colors. More variety than I've seen since the Coyote Found Co. days.

Mary, on that site the shorter pillars (4 inch) are about $11.   What size are you wanting? Pure beeswax tapers in natural color from other companies are generally about those same prices as that site.

That is a lovely site, Mary. I noticed in clicking around that they have real Bayberry candles, too. That seems like a nice tradition for the holidays as well.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

sewcrazy wrote:
Mary, we have done that in the past with mixed results. The beeswax doesn't seem to melt at the same rate as the "cheap" pillars. By Christmas the arrangement wasn't attractive.

how about beeswax tapers wrapped with beeswax sheets, Mary, to get the thickness you want?

ordered ours online (tapers) for 2 years. now i can't remember which company i ordered from.    we might get the illuminated ink kit instead.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version