Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Advent Candles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 06 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I know, I know...it's only July...but I'm bumping. I recently saw some of these candles in a local shop - Big Dipper. They are the kind of quality I'm looking for in a 100% beeswax taper (reminded me of my out-of-business favorites - Coyote Found).

Lindsay mentioned them last year, but the site she linked to only sells them - it's not the actual candle-making company.

CrunchyMom wrote:
This site has some pretty colored beeswax tapers. They don't have pink, but I thought the eggplant was such a pretty shade for a purple candle, I couldn't resist posting.

Anyway, since they were so lovely I contacted the company last week about the possibility of adding a pink candle to their line. This is the response I receive today. I'm really excited.

Thanks for your inquiry! We love to hear from our customers about product suggestions, so that way we know what new products to offer. Over the last few years we have had people ask for advent candles, so we are looking into what we can do to make advent candles a possibility for the 2010 holiday season. Keep your eyes out, hopefully once we are into the Fall candle season we will have them offered on our retail website, www.bigdipperwaxworks.com.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, this is great! I loved those Coyote Found candles, still have a few left and was lamenting....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 07 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm excited, too!

Thought I'd add to check with your local bee-keeper. Ours supplies our honey and candles, and said he was willing to make my beeswax candles in advent colors and is even letting me choose the tones of pink and purple for my candles. ( I'm so terribly picky when it comes to Advent candle colors - I like rich, warm eggplants and deep rose...isn't that so silly? ) But, nevertheless, he's willing to indulge my insane ramblings about "...not so dark as to be confused with black or navy, but not anywhere close to lavender..." So, I thought I'd throw out that option since it worked out for us!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 07 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Big Dipper has a line of aromatherapy pillar candles that are available in a lovely violet and rose. I can't remember what the scent of the rose colored ones is; the violet is lavender and geranium. I just bought one today at a health foods store I often shop in. Earlier today when I followed the Big Dipper link Mary posted, the label on the candles looked so familiar. Well, when I saw the beeswax candles in the store, I thought, "Now I get it! I see that label every week when I shop here." Anyway, maybe they will use their violet and rose dyes to make a set of Advent tapers. Or , for those who are just as happy using pillars, you could get the ones from the aromatherapy collection.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Bumping this, because Advent is only 6 weeks away. Mary, it doesn't look like Big Dipper added pink/rose candles, though.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Jenn, you are really thinking ahead this year! I usually wait until the last minute and end up coloring on white candles with pink and purple crayons!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Lacy wrote:
Jenn, you are really thinking ahead this year! I usually wait until the last minute and end up coloring on white candles with pink and purple crayons!

Well, I keep a stash on hand, and look all year. I'm still wanting the perfect beeswax candles, so I keep looking for that.

I solved a problem (for me) of never finding the ones I buy during the year. I have a little storage box marked Advent and Christmas candles which is accessible all year round. The new purchases go there, and I can find them even when life is hectic at that time of year.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I'm thinking, to make my life easier and neater that I'd get natural-colored beeswax candles and put them in colored glass holders (like the ones they use at Church?) .... this way we get the benefit of the color without the mess and I'm not constantly trying to find colored candles ....

any thoughts?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jenifleur
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jenifleur

Just in case anyone wants to support a fellow Catholic homeschooling mother - she sells beeswax advent candles for $16 - here is the link on Etsy. She is also part of our Catholic Etsy Artists Guild.

Back to Top View Jenifleur's Profile Search for other posts by Jenifleur Visit Jenifleur's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jenifleur wrote:
Just in case anyone wants to support a fellow Catholic homeschooling mother - she sells beeswax advent candles for $16 - here is the link on Etsy. She is also part of our Catholic Etsy Artists Guild.

They are lovely! I think I might need two sets or at least an extra one or two for the first 2 weeks, since these are a bit shorter than I normally use.

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Jenifleur wrote:

Beautiful. The Madonna and Child candle would make a great, inexpensive gift as well. Thank you!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I found a set of wax candles by Colonial Candles of Cape Cod for $12.00
at their website. These are 12-inch tapers. I have always their candles to be of superior quality. They burn evenly and with a beautiful flame. Of course, beeswax is my first love.... Going to check out that Etsy shop right now!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Thank you ladies for sharing this thread...you've inspired me to prepare our Advent wreath early, before the chaos of Thanksgiving preparations causes me to completely forget how soon Advent follows!

Just thought I'd chime in with a couple thoughts for those who might be looking for economical options for Advent. We've used inexpensive votive candles for many years (we never could get tapers to stand up straight in our inexpensive brass Advent wreath). Last year I found both purple and pink votive candles at our local dollar store (yes, they're not beeswax, but our pocketbook just couldn't afford them). I bought three sets of purple and one of pink (they came in boxes of two), giving us one set for last year and another set ready for use this year. Advent wreath and its decorations, prayers and candles are all tucked away in a large floral hatbox appropriately dubbed "The Advent Wreath Box".

During the Summer I found a wonderful five candle wooden Home Interiors candelabra, complete with lovely blue peg votive holders, for $1.99 at Goodwill. Clear pegged votives, also purchased at Goodwill throughout the years and used with our old Advent wreath, have temporarily replaced the blue (at least for Advent). Artificial greenery, along with purple and rose flowers for accent, which once graced our old wreath, now nestle very nicely around the arms of the candelabra! Best of all, we are hiding baby Jesus in the center, where the fifth candle belongs, and covering Him with the lid of our incense burner...on Christmas we'll place the Christ Child in the crib of our miniature nativity set, and place a white votive candle in the center for the Christ Candle. For $6 we have a lovely new Advent wreath, and candles, ready and waiting for Advent! When the Christmas season is over, the newer candelabra/Advent wreath will return to its regular function as roaming prayer candle and evening-soaking-in-the-tub-mood-lighting!

A beloved homeschooling friend always reminds me, "Use what you have"...her counsel is especially fitting when finances just don't allow us to indulge in all the lovely things we'd love to purchase in honor of special feasts. One last tip...we've been saving all our leftover Advent candles through the years in hopes of eventually melting them down to create new candles...perhaps next year! Lacy, I like the idea of coloring white candles with crayon! Mary G, the idea of colored glass votives is a great one...it would sure save hunting for those ever elusive purple and pink candles!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That sounds nice, Servant. I love using what we have. I use other than beeswax at times. I like beeswax not just because of the natural stuff, but because the candles last longer. So in the long run, I'm spending a similar amount -- either two sets of non-beeswax, or one set of beeswax for Advent.

I save all our stubs and leftover candles. I had high hopes of making my own some day, but then I found they were perfect size when I do pysanky (see it all comes back to Easter! )

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary, I think your idea would be more European or Tasha Tudor-y using natural beeswax. I'm more of a taper gal, but decorating with ribbons or a violet or rose napkin ring (you could paint one) could give the illusion of the colors.

Has anyone tried this option? Taking natural candles and rolling a sheet of colored wax over them?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I posted way back when this started.. I also use votives.

I got some of the "balloon" wine glasses.. just cheap ones.. the point is to be able to have them wide enough they don't overheat from the candle.

fill them about 1/4-1/3 with salt and set the votives in the salt. I use pink and purple ribbon and tie sprigs of greenery to the stems of the glasses.

This is also nice when I need to be able to move the wreath off the table with the toddlers who think if they can reach it, it's fair game

And because the glasses aren't attached to each other.. it's very easy to set them up on the high shelves that couldn't hold a traditional wreath.. which also makes it easy to get them back on the table the next day because it's not complicated putting them somewhere safe.

But it's usually pretty easy to find the proper colored votives vs tapers. And they're much easier to get straight in their holders

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oooh, Jodie! Have you ever tried using colored sand instead of salt? That would look pretty with the liturgical colors!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I found some wonderful 100% beeswax advent candles last year that we just loved! Unfortunately, like so many other great companies that stocked Advent candles that we have loved, they've gone out of business it seems.

I had been looking around and remembered seeing Toadily Handmade Beeswax candles last year...and I almost ordered from them then. They're still around this year with nice beexwax items.    I particularly like their Advent votives because the color is rich...and I prefer smooth sides on a candle rather than the honeycomb texture which seems to be the standard on beeswax tapers of any color. I know...silly little thing. Still, I wanted to link them here since they do offer beeswax Advent candles.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You know Jenn, I have thought of it.. but I can't get it here in town.. so I used what I had

wonder if you could color the salt

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MaryM wrote:

I know, I know...it's only July...but I'm bumping. I recently saw some of these candles in a local shop - Big Dipper. They are the kind of quality I'm looking for in a 100% beeswax taper (reminded me of my out-of-business favorites - Coyote Found).

Lindsay mentioned them last year, but the site she linked to only sells them - it's not the actual candle-making company.

CrunchyMom wrote:
This site has some pretty colored beeswax tapers. They don't have pink, but I thought the eggplant was such a pretty shade for a purple candle, I couldn't resist posting.

Anyway, since they were so lovely I contacted the company last week about the possibility of adding a pink candle to their line. This is the response I receive today. I'm really excited.

Thanks for your inquiry! We love to hear from our customers about product suggestions, so that way we know what new products to offer. Over the last few years we have had people ask for advent candles, so we are looking into what we can do to make advent candles a possibility for the 2010 holiday season. Keep your eyes out, hopefully once we are into the Fall candle season we will have them offered on our retail website, www.bigdipperwaxworks.com.

And...I've been checking in with Big Dipper candles because the quality of their candles is just BEAUTIFUL!!! No Advent candles yet. I'm going to email them later today...I'll update if I hear anything back.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version