Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Art: Where to start? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I have a confession to make.

My children are art project deficient.

In my plan to maintain a lesser amount of chaos, I have not done much clay and okay. . .no painting, that's right. . .none! I always say I'll do it and then chicken out!

A few weeks before Christmas. I bought sculpey--someone suggested it on the forum. We did a little and they loved it, but then sculpey was everywhere because they just kept doing it every day and finally dd 2 ate it! I even found it in the bathrooms and under my bed.

So, with babe in arms, dd2 who rarely naps and is ALWAYS a part of everything . Where do I start?

Do you have art day and then put it all away?

I've noticed that its challenging to keep art materials good if you leave them out, but on the other hand if you put them away, they can't have an artistic whim. How do you deal with this?

Can anyone give me a practical list of things to buy at Michaels this week and one or two (or more) simple but fun art projects that involve paint.

I've never had art and so I feel like I don't even know where to begin for them.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

I keep Sculpey in a plastic bin with a lid, on a shelf the 4 & ups can reach but not the 2yo. It lives in a room with hardwood floors (no rug, less mess) and there's a strict "you take it out, you put it away" policy. It doesn't leave that room except when I take a batch of finished sculptures to the kitchen to bake. (I gave the kids a disposable aluminum baking pan to put the ready-to-fire masterpieces in.)

Crayons and Prismacolor pencils are always within reach, along with paper trays full of drawing paper, notebook paper, and construction paper, and a drawer containing scissors and glue. Markers are kept on a higher shelf where only the 7yo and 10yo can reach them—the 5yo must ask permission.

The 10yo's bin of beading supplies is also kept on a higher shelf. She has unlimited access to it; it must just never be left where the 2yo can reach it.

I find that my downfall is always in the hassle of collecting necessary supplies, so I try to keep everything needed for one project in one bin or drawer. Watercolor paints, brushes, and wc paper for occasional use (too expensive for unlimited use) are kept in yet another plastic bin, along with jars for the water. When the kids want to paint, they just need to take down the bin and fill the jars. I toss a couple of cloth diapers in the bin as well for handy clean-ups.

True confession: I HATE supervising crafty stuff! Sometimes I'm very good and plan a project like tissue paper suncatchers (my old standby for special occasions--black cardstock frames, contact paper, tissue paper--voila! Glorious stained glass masterpieces!), but the vast majority of the time, the kids' art projects are self-directed, self-inspired. I tried to set up a space where they could create freely, and then I (gladly) stay out of their way.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Lissa wrote:
True confession: I HATE supervising crafty stuff! Sometimes I'm very good and plan a project like tissue paper suncatchers (my old standby for special occasions--black cardstock frames, contact paper, tissue paper--voila! Glorious stained glass masterpieces!), but the vast majority of the time, the kids' art projects are self-directed, self-inspired. I tried to set up a space where they could create freely, and then I (gladly) stay out of their way.

You are much kinder than I am. I bought the Draw Write Now series and put that, crayons, and white paper out where anyone can reach at anytime. We sometimes draw together from the books to illustrate narrations which encourages the kids to use the books at other times.

There is other art stuff organized in neatly labeled boxes, but it usually only comes out if I'm passed out from morning sickness and just don't care about the mess.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Sarah, I truly understand your fear of craft projects. Lissa may remember a brilliant idea I had years ago when our family lived in our first apartment. I loved letting the kids finger paint, but dreaded the unspeakable mess that a 2 1/2 and 1 year old artist can leave behind. The solution? Let them fingerpaint in the bathtub! That's right. Put them in old clothes and sit them in the bathtub. The mess is contained and the work area washes right out.

Doesn't it?

I was horrified when the red paint seemed to seep into the porcelain tub, creating a stain not unlike tomato sauce on tupperware. Plus, one or both of my little artists decided to paint the walls too. Have you any idea how difficult it is to get fingerpaint out of grout?

May you never need to find out.

I love Lissa's suggestions for craft supply organization, especially the details about keeping things within reach based on age. I have nothing to add to that, but a recent trip to the craft store leaves me ready to type out a basic list of kid crafting must-haves, in no particular order:

1. scissors

2. washable glue

3. felt or foam shapes

4. with Valentine's day coming up, I'd have to say glitter or glitter glue(yes, I know, I dread it too, but it's a must)

5. unfinished paintable odds and ends (hearts, small boxes, little doll house furniture)--at 25 cents to a dollar a piece, these are a bargain, and there is no end to what you can do with them

6. paint, preferably washable

7. paint brushes

8. a neat sheet or other covering for the table

9. Sculpey or Model Magic

10. Sale items such as stickers or special paper

11. white paper

12. construction paper

13. crayons, pencils and/or washable markers

This would be extremely expensive to buy all at once, so pick up things here and there, perhaps starting with materials just to make Valentine's decorations. There are often great sales at the store, and when I find one, I stock up. I'm too flighty to remember to bring coupons with me, but if you are organized, coupons help too!

By the way, if you really hate a mess, my advice is to sit alongside the kids and do the craft with them. You might find that it's fun, and the four-year-old is far less likely to spill his paint water all over his masterpiece, on purpose, right before your very eyes, while smiling and calling, "Now my fishies can swim . . . . " OK, this did happen to me yesterday, but usually my presence really does cut down on the mess. Luckily, the water didn't reach my project.

Lastly, the good weather is coming. There's nothing like painting and crafting OUTDOORS!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

I love the finger painting in the bathtub idea. Another art project my 5 yo ds asks for a lot is color mixing in the sink. I just give him colored water and ice cube trays.

In fact Sarah, color theory is a very fun place to start a new art project. Here's an Introduction. Here's an online activity. There's more online color mixing here. This is a color mixing activity I posted a few months ago that was sooooo much fun. Another fun way to mix colors is with red, yellow and blue jello set and divided into ziplock bags. Colors can be mixed in empty bags and eaten with a spoon. Theoretically no mess .

One of my dss has to be doing art a lot so I have a few supplies in my kitchen drawers even though our art supplied are stored in the laundry room. There are brushes, trays of watercolors, markers and colored pencils in the kitchen. BTW, I've never considered Sculpey one of the easier mediums to work with.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2006 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question. If we are all doing an art project I get everything out, we use it and it all gets put away when we're done. If one child is doing art on their own initiative (this would be the kids 5 and up)they can grab the simple supplies out of the kitchen drawer and those supplies go right back there (and if it's play-doh of course I have to sweep but play-doh never goes on the carpet area) when they're done.

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Lissa wrote:
I keep Sculpey in a plastic bin with a lid, on a shelf the 4 & ups can reach but not the 2yo. It lives in a room with hardwood floors (no rug, less mess) and there's a strict "you take it out, you put it away" policy. It doesn't leave that room except when I take a batch of finished sculptures to the kitchen to bake. (I gave the kids a disposable aluminum baking pan to put the ready-to-fire masterpieces in.)

I've worked ALOT with Sculpey (much better, IMHO than FIMO) and have found that if you use a glass pie pan (instead of aluminum or metal pan) you get more even hardening. So I have a Pyrex pan with the clay, as you say, high enough up so JP can't reach (actually it's more a case of "out of sight, out of mind" -- once he sees it he climbs up to get it )

I've found that I was too finicky when letting the kids do art projects -- worrying and fussing the whole time. They have much more fun when it becomes, in the words of CM, "masterly inactivity" where I'm nearby but not right there.....The messes are never as hard to clean up as I THINK they're going to be and everyone is much more creative.

We have the benefit of living in the South and have a side porch where the kids can do their painting and then hose off the cement slab.....this is wonderful when Spring comes.....

Hope this helps.

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

In another thread Leonie mentioned having an art trolley. Leonie, if you read this can you describe your art trolley for us?

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OOOH! I'd LOVE to hear about the art trolley, although me being a bit of an art *gestapo* I have a hard time thinking any supplies not locked up would be readily and joyfully *used* by my ds 3

Alice, I'm pretty sure our little boys would get along quite well together. In fact I can just now visualize my little guy traveling around the house with the art trolley, handing out the supplies like the ice cream man!

Seriously, though, these are such great suggestions for the art impaired (ME!) and I'm right along with Lissa on the *prefer not to get involved in the creating* of said projects, but, when you've got art-minded dc, sometimes you gotta go with the flow.

One of my favorite art/supply sites is Lakeshore Learning They have just about everything you can imagine.   

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

happyheartsmom wrote:
OOOH! I'd LOVE to hear about the art trolley, although me being a bit of an art *gestapo* I have a hard time thinking any supplies not locked up would be readily and joyfully *used* by my ds   

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of a cart that I can put away in a closet when they are done.

Natalia

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

alicegunther wrote:
Let them fingerpaint in the bathtub!

Every Halloween pumpkin treat, every Christmas stocking, every Valentine Day sweet bag, and every Easter basket has bathtub paint in them. It's a staple...and doesn't make the tub bleed.

My friend sells Avon and they always sell bathtub art supplies during the holidays. The older 3 have outgrown it but I stock up for the younger 2.

Now...I'm anxious to hear about Leonie's art trolley.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Lissa wrote:
tissue paper suncatchers

How do you do these?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 17 2006 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

happyheartsmom wrote:
OOOH! I'd LOVE to hear about the art trolley, . . .

In fact I can just now visualize my little guy traveling around the house with the art trolley, handing out the supplies like the ice cream man!

I laughed so hard picturing this!

Me, too, on the art trolley. Leonie, are you out there?

You all have some great ideas. Thanks.

I think it is true about stepping back and not hovering-maybe more for our sake as mothers because it just makes me nervous to watch them with art stuff.

Now, I don't want to give you the impression that my house is tidy because its not. . . .Actually my house is a disaster and the thought of more disaster gets me uptight.

Through your suggestions, I'm determined to find a solution to our art problem.

I don't want to pay for counseling someday when the kids find out that they are "art-challenged" . . .I'm using that money to pay for their "puzzle-challenged" therapy, buts that's a different thread for another day!

As I write this I have a paved glittery path to my laundry room . . .a glittery glue path, that is--its a long story, but it has to do with dd2.

I suppose it should mop right up off Pergo, right? When I get a chance. . .someday.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 4:04am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sarah wrote:
Can anyone give me a practical list of things to buy at Michaels this week   

Great time to go - it's Dollar Days!

I'm going to add more when I get a chance, but to address this question specifically after looking at the Michael's ad this week I've got some ideas.

-The Apple Barrel 2 oz. acrylic paints are on sale for 3/$1. Very good price so good time to get some. This is an inexpensive way to go with acrylic paints and we stock up with tons of colors. They are not washable so are for older children or the youngers only under supervision.
-Foam brushes 15/$1 - can never have too many of these as we go through them quickly. Since they are cheap when purchased like this I don't mind if we have to throw them out after awhile if they are rough with them.
-Provo Craft decorative edge scissors 2/$1 - fun for decorative cutting especially at this price.
-Canson Value Artists Pads are already an economical deal but at $1 each this week even better. They have tracing, drawing, and watercolor pads. Like Lissa mentioned watercolor paper is expensive so this is a good way to go.
-Sculpey and Model Magic are on sale, but they occassionally have it even cheaper. This isn't the best clay sale.

We also like to have yarn and ribbon on hand for projects and embellishing. Both are on sale this week as well.

Then use the coupon for a nice set of watercolors, watercolor pencils, or pastels.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 4:06am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I like what Artistic Pursuits says about purchasing art materials. They have specific suggestions about brands and types of media to have.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Alice's fingerpainting memories brought back some of my own. I remember when Michael was little and an only child (which makes me on the younger-than side of 25) and set up fingerpaints and butcher paper on the deck. Then, we took our shoes off and painted with our feet. My dh caught it all on video. I was much more fun, then...

Now, our crafts are stored in the basement in a room with lots of lights and vinyl flooring. It sounds like it's equipped similarly to Lissa's. Upstairs, my children have free access to colored paper, markers, crayons, and paper. Magic Eraser is a favorite friend (he gets anything off the walls, though I don't know about fingerpaint in grout).

My favorite reliable project is a stained glass one as well. Cut srveral colors of tissue paper into two or three inch squares. Mix liquid starch with water until it's fairly thin. Let the kids place the squares of tissue paper on white paper or cardstock (construction paper won't work) and paint the starch mixture over each square. The squares stick and the overlapping colors are lovely. It can't be messed up even by a two-year-old.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

MaryM wrote:
I like what Artistic Pursuits says about purchasing art materials. They have specific suggestions about brands and types of media to have.

Mary, thanks for this link, it looks very interesting

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Hey Sarah!

Just jumping in here to say that though I am not a very crafty person, I have found the book Glues Brews and Goos invaluable for finding ides, especially when I had toddlers around. The recipes for edible paints and doughs saved some lives here, I'm sure. I see there is now a Volume 2...the ingredients tend to be stuff found around the house, like (not for the edible mixes ) shampoo and coffee grinds.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I am not very crafty either so we don't do many craft projects. For art we use two programs that I like:

I Can Do All ThingsHow Great Art Thou for my 8 yo . It covers drawing, drawing with colored pencils and markers and painting. We have slowly work through this and it is fun. I feel that I need some direction when it comes to art but even then when we are on a time crunch art is the first thing to g o

For my 7th grader, we use Artistic Pursuit. I am doing it with her too. It is challenging but fun. I am enjoying going through it.

When my almost 4 yob is around I give him some paper and some of those paint bottles that have a ball point (Dot to Dot paint ? ) and he happily uses those and there is no mess to clean up.

Natalia

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Natalia wrote:
In another thread Leonie mentioned having an art trolley. Leonie, if you read this can you describe your art trolley for us?

I'm betting that the art trolley is something like one of these types of rolling storage areas. They are popular with scrapbookers.
Scrapbooking style trolley
4-drawer rolling cart

Tall storage doesn't roll but has higher shelves for keeping things that are messy out of reach of the little ones in a closet.

Over the door shoe holder for organizing crafts. Similar to what Elizabeth described using throughout her house for storage.

I like this Craft Storage center from Family Fun magazine. We have something similar in our basement/laundry/storage area.    

I also keep a box of recylable stuff which may be of use in craft or science projects. Things like 2-liter soda bottles, babyfood jars, aluminum cans in various sizes, empty toilet paper/paper towel rolls, matchboxes, egg cartons, styrofoam trays, plastic fruit boxes, mesh bags, corks, etc. My husband calls it "garbage" and always tries to throw it out but I call it useful. It's nice to have it available when needed and not have to quickly use up a product or worse yet have to go buy something to use up for the container.

Our Domestic Church

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version