Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Art: Where to start? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

MaryM wrote:
4-drawer rolling cart

We use two of these, although they are six drawer and black. We roll them into the kitchen for the mess making (I mean art work) and roll them back out again when we are done. They love being able to have all sorts of different things at their disposal at the same time.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Sarah wrote:
...and one or two (or more) simple but fun art projects that involve paint.

I'm wondering if you want projects for technique or product? As far as paints go sometimes at the beginning the experimentation with technique is a good way to go to just get a feel for what paint can do and how different applicators and papers can change the result, etc.

Scribble Cookies by Mary Ann Kohl describes one "project" in that category called "Experipaint."

TRY-
1. dry paints on wet paper
2. wet paint on wet paper
3. crumbled paper
4. bumpy paper
5. very smooth paper
6. thick and thin paints
7. paint ON: fabric
        wood
        leaves
        rocks
8. paint WITH: large wide brush
        stick
        cotton swab
        cotton ball
        sponge
        feather duster
        feather
        hands, feet, elbows
        turkey baster
        gadgets, junk
        yarn ball

Two fun techniques with watercolor paints are resist and using salt.
Watercolor resist
Using crayons draw a picture on paper. Then paint over the entire paper with watercolor paint. The wax crayons resist the watercolor and show through. It is a nice effect.

Watercolor-Salt wash
This is good for a scene where you want texture. It add interesting texture to a painting. The paint is drawn to the salt as it dries and leaves crystal shapes dotted throughout the wash. It is fun for wintery/snow scenes or underwater ones. Paint your scene. Let dry to point where it is just damp (not really wet). Sprinkle with salt over areas where you want texture. Let dry completely and shake off salt (rub away gently if needed). Where the salt was you have a textured crystally effect. Coarse or ground salt gives different (more dramatic) results than table salt. Here is a sample of the different types of effects

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

jackiemomof7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 18 2006 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote jackiemomof7

If you are wanting "how to" so to speak on art projects here are 3 that we have used. (I am not creative, can not think of art ideas!)

Art projects plus. I found this at Mardel's, it uses Children's picture books.Example one lesson may be about charcoal drawing, they give you a list of children's books that are illustrated with charcoal drawings. They also list the supplies you need and what type of project and how to. My kids loved doing this they got to do art as I read the stories and see how someone actually uses this in a "real book."

Next we use Discovering Great Artists. This book has a whole list of different artist and gives a brief bio on them,than an art project to do. Example: when we did artist Michelangelo our art project was placing butcher paper to the bottom side of our kitchen table than the kids crawled under the tabled and painted like Michelangelo did. They loved this!

And my 3rd resource is Art 3 from Seton. It has the lesson all done for you also. This week we made foam flowers, they turned out really cute and our now lay at Mary's feet on our shelf. Even my 13 year old son did this one!
Not sure if this is what ideas you are looking for but like everyone else I have a big bucket that has all kinds of stuff in it that the kids can get into when they want. Rule is if you get it out, clean up and put away. I have found out that a cheap plastic table cloth is wonderful. One to go on the table and one under. Helps on clean up!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version