Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Liturgical Year Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 30 2009 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Can someone recommend some resources for celebrating the Liturgical year with my children. I'd also like to hear some reviews of
A Year with God: Celebrating the Liturgical Year

My children are ages 15 (dd) 13(ds) 10 (ds) 6 (ds)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 30 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Theresa,
I'm moving your post to the Domestic Church forum. I also wanted to point out that at Domestic Church we have a FAQ about this very topic. It is frequently asked so we tried to put as many past threads together as possible. Hope that helps.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Great Mary! I'll go check that out.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2009 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Theresa,

There have been several threads with reviews of "A Year with God". It is a good book, and very sweet ideas. I like it, but I admit I rarely, rarely use it. I like to stick to the basic, and the ideas in there are a bit overwhelming to me. Love2Learn site has a review. The price tag is hefty, and if you're on the fence, look for a used copy.

I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat some of my personal recommendations.

If you are looking for a good basic overview of the liturgical year and some wonderful ideas to implement in your family, I find the best in-print book isThe Year and Our Children by Mary Reed Newland. This is a reprint, so it was written before a few of the changes from Vatican II, but not much to notice. She includes both traditional and some crafty ideas.

It's not for the whole year, but I'm very, very fond of the Women for Faith and Family's Lenten and Advent Sourcebooks. These are one of my favorites because it explains the reasons for the liturgical season, and then provides some of the more tried and true traditional prayers, devotions, and customs.

In the same genre are Catherine Fournier's books (from Domestic-Church.com), Advent and Christmas in the Domestic Church, Lent and Easter in the Domestic Church (our very own Momwise (Gwen) has a few articles in this volume) and Marian Devotions in the Domestic Church. There are a few more expanded ideas and crafts, but again, great explanations on the spirituality and purpose of the seasons and feast days, and then tried and true activities.

Celebrating the Faith in the Home series from Emmanuel Books is excellent and similar, too.

The other common demoninator with all these books is that they are either comb or spiral bound. It must be the mark of a homeschooler to have so many of spiral bound books on the bookshelf. It is becomming difficult to find different books.

Another favorite is Around the Year with the Trapp Family by Maria Von Trapp. I also have it in blog form with some of the graphics and music. What is great about her book is understanding the spirituality behind the liturgical year -- it's not just a book of crafts and activities.

If you're starting to do this with your family, take it slowly. No one does it all for the year every feast day and liturgical season. When someone writes a book, the author is usually featuring traditions she's done over the years; it's not a snap shot of one year. The beauty of the liturgical year is that it repeats. There is always next year to try something new.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
If you're starting to do this with your family, take it slowly. No one does it all for the year every feast day and liturgical season. When someone writes a book, the author is usually featuring traditions she's done over the years; it's not a snap shot of one year. The beauty of the liturgical year is that it repeats. There is always next year to try something new.

This is truly the best advice, Theresa! Pick a Saint that means something to you, and go from there.

Theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2009 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote Theresa

Thank you ladies. I am taking it slow, just looking around.

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 09 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

I did some searches and found comparisons of the traditional v. NO calendars, and I found lists of books and resources for celebrating the Liturgical Year as a family.

We attend a NO parish, so books that are based on the Traditional calendar may not be a good fit for us. Most of the reviews of books I looked at did not specify which calender it followed. Are most of the books and resources applicable to both calenders?

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

There aren't that many differences between the old and new calendars, and the differences that do exist would simply be an issue of date rather than content. So, a book about the Feast of Christ the King would talk about that feast in the same way regardless of which Sunday in November it happened. The same with individual saint's feast days. The substance would stay the same, only the date might vary. Overall, though, the liturgical year is the same in substance, even if some bishops have moved the celebration of "Ascension Thursday" to Sunday (which varies even in NO parishes).

Where you would find an issue would be if you were to try incorporating the actual readings, and there, you would definitely need an NO missal rather than an older one, but I don't see that really being a factor with most resources.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I agree with Lindsay. There isn't much different between the calendars, so for specific feast day ideas if the date doesn't correspond, you just switch when it's applicable. The main feasts and seasons of the calendar are very close in both calendars.

But like Lindsay said, if you're looking for the same Collect prayers or readings of the day, you will need a specific NO resource.

While I attend the Novus Ordo, most of my favorite liturgical year books are pre-Vatican II.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Dear Theresa - everyone has given such good advice. I just want to add that it can be so overwhelming - so many books and so many blogs and so many great threads with wonderful ideas.

We have been celebrating the Liturgical year for years and even so go through seasons of more and less. We started as follows:

1. Celebrating Advent - such a wonderful season. Start building some family traditions.

2. Celebrating Lent - again pick a few traditions and practices

3. Each month maybe pick one saint/feast day to focus on - and maybe start building up a library of saint books for various ages.

If I had to pick resources, my top ones would be:
1. The Mary Reed Newland book mentioned above
2. Erin's blog Faith Filled Days in the Domestic Church
3. Catholic Cuisine for cooking ideas
4. Catholic Mosaic for younger children
5.Saints and Feastdays, Saint a Day for Young Readers, Picture Book of Saints, Miniature books of the Saints, Windeatt saints, Vision saints

Blessings to you and your family.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MarilynW wrote:
Dear Theresa - everyone has given such good advice. I just want to add that it can be so overwhelming - so many books and so many blogs and so many great threads with wonderful ideas.

We have been celebrating the Liturgical year for years and even so go through seasons of more and less. We started as follows:

1. Celebrating Advent - such a wonderful season. Start building some family traditions.

2. Celebrating Lent - again pick a few traditions and practices

3. Each month maybe pick one saint/feast day to focus on - and maybe start building up a library of saint books for various ages.

Great advice, Marilyn. I'm a minimalist, too. In my talks on the liturgical year, I always talk about making priorities, and understanding the Church's priorities by the feast days in order of precedence.

1) First the liturgical seasons: Advent, Christmas (Christmastide), Ordinary Time (Time after Epiphany, Septuagesima, Time After Pentecost), Lent (Lent or Quadregisima), Holy Week (Passiontide), and Easter (Paschaltide or Eastertide). The names vary in the Traditional Calendar, which I've put in parentheses.

2) In both calendars Sundays are considered solemnities and are especially reserved.

3) The highest feast is a Solemnity, and in the Traditional Calendar this would be First Class. There are only 17 Solemnities in the year in the NO. Many of them fall on Sunday.

1. December 8, Immaculate Conception
2. December 25, Christmas
3. January 1, Mary, Mother of God
4. January 6 or the Sunday, Epiphany
5. March 19, St. Joseph, husband of Mary
6. March 25, Annunciation
7. Easter
8. Ascension
9. Pentecost
10. Most Holy Trinity
11. Body and Blood of Christ
12. Sacred Heart
13. June 24, Birth of John the Baptist
14. June 29, Saints Peter and Paul
15. August 15, Assumption
16. November 1, All Saints
17. Christ the King

Note that some are holydays of obligation, some fall on Sunday.

4) The next class is feasts, and there are only 26 Feasts of the year. If they fall on Sunday they are not celebrated.
4 Life of our Lord, 3 Marian
11 apostles, 2 evangelists
3 First Martyrs, Laurence, Holy Innocents, Stephen,
Feast of the Archangels; Dedication of the Church of St. John Lateran, and Feast of All Souls

Then there are Memorials and Optional Memorials, which are saints and feasts of Mary.

I'm not suggesting celebrating all those, but if trying to sift through what parts of the liturgical year to set your focus, I'd start with the order of precedence.

And I just saw Women for Faith and Family Hitting the highlights of the liturgical year, which include:

Advent
Annunciation
Ascension
Assumption
Christmas
Easter
Lent and Holy Week
Epiphany
Feast Days
Holy Days of Obligation
Holy Week
Immaculate Conception
Pentecost

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version